Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #16
taylor1293

DIS Veteran
When the Tag Fairy touches you, you know!! :)

As long as you take them only "as needed", and no more than once or twice a month, I'm sure you would be fine. However, Xanax is not meant to be used daily.

It's a long story, but Xanax was a life saver for me last year. However, this drug causes long term problems. I realized that when I tried to lower my dosage and encountered horrible insomnia and anxiety. Prior to starting Xanax, I made the mistake of trusting my doctor blindly and only doing limited research about the drug online. I thought that it was only a problem if you were taking higher doses (3 mg or above daily).

Currently, I'm getting ready to cross over to valium (a longer acting benzo) to ween off of my dosage. Which, BTW, is only .375 mg one time a day. A very very low dose.

I suggest doing research before beginning. Here is a good site for those who are trying to ween off of the drug. This will give you an idea of what those people who want to get off of Xanax are going through.

http://benzowithdrawal.com/forum/index.php

2002-Polynesian, 2003-BWV, Hard Rock, 2004-POP, OKW, Royal Pacific, CSR, 2006-Swan,
2007-POFQ, CBR, 2008 - Royal Pacific
2013 - Bonnet Creek Resort, All Star Movies, 2014 - POP, ASMu, CSR, POFQ
taylor1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #17
Tigger&Belle
I'm the good girl on the DIS

Snarky is my middle name
So many comments, so many points

The buspar is a good non-addictive alternative. I take it daily and do not know if it helps when taken only as needed.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #18
CathrynRose
R.I.P. Possibly Un-PC Tag, R.I.P.
Back away from the cheesecake, lady!!!
I had ponytails so tight, I couldn’t move my head
I can't stop sniffing me

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW~Lover View Post
died
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
Things like this scare me! Like I need a Xanax because I'm freaking out ovewr someone dying on Xanax. I'm not kidding.

Were these overdoses?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #19
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

I take Xanax occasionally for work-related anxiety. I have a very stressful job and occasionally I have trouble leaving my work-stress at work. If I'm getting so worked up that i'm having chest pain and can't eat, I need a Xanax. Within 30 min I"m back to normal.

I would never take this every day, too addicting. But when I need it, it's a godsend.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #20
dcentity2000
Simba Cub
Is all for Wimbledon
I try to be as random and pointless as I can be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger&Belle View Post
The buspar is a good non-addictive alternative. I take it daily and do not know if it helps when taken only as needed.
Buspar (generic name Buspirone) is an excellent drug, IMO.

From my archives, seratis.net:

Quote:
Buspirone is an anxiolytic drug unrelated to conventional tranquillisers such as benzodiazepines. In terms of efficacy it is roughly equal to the benzodiazepine medication diazepam in the treatment of generalised anxiety disorders but is less effective than benzodiazepines in general. It is also very useful in the treatment of anxious depressive illnesses when mixed with SSRI antidepressants in particular. Unusually for an anxiolytic, buspirone is not sedating and does not interact with alcohol; it is also thought not to be addicting. Unfortunately the drug takes several weeks to take effect so patients are often treated with faster acting tranquillisers initially. Buspirone should not strictly be mixed with RIMA or MAOI antidepressants.

Rich::
dcentity2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #21
PrincessKitty1
Epcot is my happy place.

When I worked on the psych floor for a couple of years, our psychiatrists literally NEVER prescribed xanax for anxious inpatients. If they prescribed a tranquilizer, they always prescribed a longer-acting one such as Ativan or Klonopin. Reason being, for very anxious people who need to take a tranquilizer every day, xanax has a short half-life and is more likely to lead to rebound anxiety attacks. It's better to take something more long-acting.

When I was in school, I was VERY anxious (I literally averaged probably 3 hours of sleep a night for 2 years, that's how anxious I was--couldn't sleep) and I went to my doctor and he prescribed xanax 3 times a day. I looked up the side effects and just absolutely wouldn't take the stuff. I suffered instead. I wouldn't recommend this route (suffering), BUT I would question the doctor prescribing xanax if it is going to be an every-day medication (I wouldn't think you would have any problems with it if it was a once-in-a-while medication).

The Dolphin Fountain (photo taken from our room!)

PrincessKitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #22
WDW~Lover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcentity2000 View Post
Buspar (generic name Buspirone) is an excellent drug, IMO.

From my archives, seratis.net:

agree with Rich again on this one, please only use xanax as a last resort.
I am a recovering addict, trust me on this one.
WDW~Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #23
3jsmommy
I thought Oklahoma was evil for a long time

I know a few people that take it occasionally, maybe more than they say.
Here is a list of common side effects, I am sure a poster will come on & say all drugs have side effects.Xanax can be addictive.There is another list of more uncommon side efffects that I did not paste here.

While Xanax seems to be the most prescribed agent in stopping "panic attack", people should be aware of the potential problems and side effects of this medication. Xanax effects the memory of an individual, especially in verbal recall. Here is a list of the known side effects of Xanax:

drowsiness
fatigue
light-headedness
speech problems
abdominal cramps
constipation
dry mouth
hyperventilation
blurred vision
nausea
chest pain
change in sex drive
confusion
headache
change in appetite
insomnia
unusual dreams
change in salivation
low blood pressure
racing heartbeat
fainting
nasal congestion
difficulty urinating
sweating
weight change
skin irritation
twitching or tremors
nervous or anxious state
sun sensitivity
3jsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #24
dcentity2000
Simba Cub
Is all for Wimbledon
I try to be as random and pointless as I can be

Xanax is, strictly speaking, a Benzodiazepine or "Benzo".

I don't like Benzos.

Why?

Well, they're addictive and tolerance forming, so if you take them for any length of time you not only get addicted, you lose any benefit you might have got from them to start with.

Some info from seratis.net:

Quote:
Benzodiazepines, also known as minor or trivial tranquilisers, are drugs that act as central nervous system (CNS) depressants, sedatives, hypnotics, anxiolytics, anticonvulsants, amnestics (inducing anterograde amnesia) and muscle relaxants.

Benzodiazepines are believed to be GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) agonists, acting on the GABA-A receptor. GABA is the principal inhibitory neurotransmitter in the mammalian CNS.

The drugs were used primarily in the 1960s and the 1970s and were hailed as a huge leap from the more primitive barbiturates.

These drugs are classically split into three groups: long lasting sedatives, moderate lasting drugs (usually between 6 and 10 hours) and short lasting compounds which last a maximum of 6 hours.

Benzodiazepines are, however, habit forming so long term use can be counterproductive. However, they are far less open to abuse and exhibit far less side effects, especially in overdose which can be fatal in the case of barbiturates.

In terms of tolerance, any hypnotic effect loses its power in a matter of days and the anxiolytic effects wane after a couple of months. Addiction is a problem not only thanks to withdrawal effects but also because of the chance of an iatrogenic disorder. For these reasons, treatment is confined to a maximum of one month, although a limit of two weeks is more common.

Overdoses may lead to coma, but the effects are still favourable to those of barbiturates.

Benzodiazepines have other uses too - they are sometimes prescribed to combat depression, agorophobia and premenstrual tension; many also act to reduce memories of events whilst the patient is under sedation, for example, during medical procedures. Some can also reduce physical symptoms such as muscular spasms.
But hey, at least they're not Barbiturates

dcentity2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #25
BellaBear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondog View Post
Do you take it? When needed for panic attacks

Have you had complications? No

Do you take it everyday? No

What does it do? Pulls me out of panic, returns my pulse to normal, calms me enough to function

I take the lowest dose, .25mg, and it relaxes me in almost the exact same way a glass of wine would. I only take 1 every few months, as needed for panic attacks.
Same here. I've had panic attacks for twelve years and just knowing I have this as a back up if I get a bad attack, has relaxed me tremendously. I think I have used a total of 12 pills since last Sept.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #26
WDW~Lover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcentity2000 View Post
But hey, at least they're not Barbiturates
yah, got them to! lol
Old 04-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #27
lemondog
My twins fight over who tooted
I always have the itch!

I think Xanax can be a VERY effective drug when used appropriately. It can be very scary for an already-anxious person to read a thread like this and then get scared off from a drug that may potentially help them tremendously. I know, because I used to be like that.

If you have anxiety all day, every day (like GAD) then Xanax is NOT the right drug for you if you need daily medication. Things like Buspar, Cymbalta, etc. should be used for that. (I cannot take Buspar due to nasty side effects, but Cymbalta has been a miracle drug for me).

Xanax is best used to treat occasional bouts of panic. I have been using Xanax for 3 years now, and I bet in that time I have taken less than 10 pills total. I am not addicted to it at all, yet I take comfort in knowing it is there and available if necessary. I actually use Niravam, which is a form of xanax that melts under the tongue. After all, you don't always have water on hand when a panic attack sets in.

I know there are some schools of thought that say "living with the addiction is better than living with the anxiety" and I would agree to an extent. I truly believe my body is addicted to my Cymbalta (SSRI), but honestly, I would much rather live having to take a daily med the rest of my life, than live the way I was pre-medication. Like a PP mentioned, it's like walking around just waiting for "the other shoe to drop." Always worried, scared, waiting for that terrible thing to happen.

I guess my point to this long thread is that if you are experiencing daily anxiety to a point that it is disrupting your life, then there are better alternatives for daily treatment than Xanax. However, Xanax is a wonderful drug that when used properly can truly improve someone's quality of life.

JMHO

DD1 (13), DD2 (10), DD3 (10) DD4 (2)

I've been pickled! Thanks illuminati!
lemondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #28
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

My Dr. offers me xanax all the time but I decline. I've seen how messed up it can make people. Its highly additive although those who take it will deny being addicted to it. I know people who have gone into rages if they can't get it and hurt those who love them because of the addiction and will seek out others for their pills if they run out. Its not a pretty sight. It's quite sad actually to see someone suffering like that.
If I were you, I'd look into another type of drug. Perhaps more of a mood stabilizer such as lamictal would be beneficial.

I suppose though as a once in a while thing it would be ok. Just be careful.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #29
WDW~Lover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
My Dr. offers me xanax all the time but I decline. I've seen how messed up it can make people. Its highly additive although those who take it will deny being addicted to it. I know people who have gone into rages if they can't get it and hurt those who love them because of the addiction and will seek out others for their pills if they run out. Its not a pretty sight. It's quite sad actually to see someone suffering like that.
If I were you, I'd look into another type of drug. Perhaps more of a mood stabilizer such as lamictal would be beneficial.

I suppose though as a once in a while thing it would be ok. Just be careful.
oh ya! It is a highly used "street" drug! for 2mg it runs approx 4/5 bucks around here! A lot of Heroin addicts use it, my ex did. In fact, most people cannot even find a doctor that will write for it!

I have been getting it thou for approx 25 years, since it came out to replace V's
Old 04-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #30
PhotobearSam
Extraordinaire!
Took 1245 trip pictures!!
Bébé, Moozer, Chewie, & Jax's Mom

Is lamictal a daily thing or once in a while?

I am prone to forgetting to take my pills and also prone to stopping abruptly so I would prefer the type that I would take only when symptoms arise.

Our 4 children Kitties.... Bébé (1992-2012 , Moozer (1992-2011) Chewie (6) & Jax (4) photobearsam@rogers.com
16 trips so far next one January 14-16 2013 at ASSports for a mini trip. I can't wait to go back. I have been Sprung by Hixski
To clarify one of my TAGS...I took 1245 pics on our trip to WDW in 2001. This was pre-digital and all pics were on FILM!
PhotobearSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: