‘Davy Crockett’ star Fess Parker dies at 85

We paid our respects yesterday at the Crockett Tavern, One Man's Dream and the exit area at the B&tB theater where Fess Parker's signature and hand prints were included on Jan. 29, 1992.

Funny how it all came about for Fess Parker. Walt originally wanted Buddy Ebsen as Crockett and for awhile was interested in James Arness. But then he spotted bit actor Fess Parker in the movie THEM! and the rest is history. Ebsen proved to be a natural as Georgie Russel and Fess Parker a natural as
Davy Crockett. And Arness of course went on with Gunsmoke.
BUt it didn't HAVE to happen that way--
Now looking back--can you imagine ANYONE else except Fess Parker playing Davy???
Which brings me to a question--when Disney "resurrected" Davy Crockett in 1989-1990 (with Tim Dunigan) the pilot episode had Davy meeting President Jackson to discuss old times, etc. That "elder" Crockett was played by Johhny Cash. I hear that they REALLY wanted Fess Parker to provide that lead in, but somehow that didn't happen. Anyone know why??? I would have thought Fess Parker would have been pleased to do that part....

Funny how it all came about for Fess Parker. Walt originally wanted Buddy Ebsen as Crockett and for awhile was interested in James Arness. But then he spotted bit actor Fess Parker in the movie THEM! and the rest is history. Ebsen proved to be a natural as Georgie Russel and Fess Parker a natural as
Davy Crockett. And Arness of course went on with Gunsmoke.
BUt it didn't HAVE to happen that way--
Now looking back--can you imagine ANYONE else except Fess Parker playing Davy???
Which brings me to a question--when Disney "resurrected" Davy Crockett in 1989-1990 (with Tim Dunigan) the pilot episode had Davy meeting President Jackson to discuss old times, etc. That "elder" Crockett was played by Johhny Cash. I hear that they REALLY wanted Fess Parker to provide that lead in, but somehow that didn't happen. Anyone know why??? I would have thought Fess Parker would have been pleased to do that part....

Fess would have beeen wonderful in the "resurrected" series as the elder Crockett, but Disney wiped the slate clean for the production. Fess, at that time, was also busy in the early years with his winery. He was, however, approached for a cameo in the 2004 film The Alamo, but a series of unfortunate circumstances contributed to that not happening. Fess commented on that in a past issue of The Crockett Chronicle.

Fess' children, Eli and Ashley, delivered a wonderful eulogy during a special memorial event in Santa Barbara on March 26. Acccording to a report in the Santa Barbara Independent, both read passages from Desiderata, a poem that reflected the essence of the man.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter