‘It’s a Small World’ writer Robert Sherman dies at 86

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
From the Washngton Post:

It’s a Small World’ writer Robert Sherman dies at 86
By Maura Judkis

The writer of some of Disney’s most beloved songs, and humanity’s most persistent earworms, Robert Sherman, has died at the age of 86. Sherman was the co-writer of “It’s a Small World (After All),” “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” and “A Spoonful of Sugar,” among other hits (his brother Richard was his songwriting partner).

Now that I’ve mentioned them, you probably have one of those songs stuck in your head (You’re welcome!).

The catchiness of Sherman’s songs was one of his greatest talents — his music was infectious, and it punctuated the happiest and most poignant moments of the films he worked on. Sherman also collaborated on stage musicals and theme-park music, such as the Disney World Carousel of Progress song, “There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow.” He won two Academy Awards (for his work on “Mary Poppins,” including the song “Chim Chim Cher-ee”) and a Grammy, and was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Sherman’s death was announced by his son, via his Facebook page. The Walt Disney Company has been contacted for confirmation, but they have yet to reply.

“His love and his prayers, his philosophy and his poetry will live on forever. Forever his songs and his genius will bring hope, joy and love to this small, small world,” wrote Jeffrey Sherman.

By Maura Judkis | 09:21 AM ET, 03/06/2012

Condolences and prayers to the Sherman family. Both brothers brought so much joy to Disney fans with their wonderful music. I will send up a prayer and thank you next time I am on It's A Small World!

Very Sad indeed...he still gave interviews and was one of the few links to the golden era of disney...when both the company and the country/world was probably simpler/better in many ways.

Mary Poppins alone is enough to prove how valuable the Sherman Brothers were to Disney

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter