‘Sexy Merida’ Pulled by Disney After Backlash

Someone posted a LA Times article that basically says even with the outpouring of disapproval that the new Merida is still going to be used in marketing...and they'll still use the old Merida for things as well. Sorry that I don't have a link.

I wonder if the people complaining about this will still drag their kids into BBB to be made into a princess. Isn't this the same concept only with drawings? or are we against that now too?

Actually that fight was already done. When BBB first open many patrons were vocal about how the cm's were heavy handed with the makeup and how too many little girls came out looking "tarted" up. MOre like pagent contestants then princesses. Disney changed and the make up was tone down (at least to me it was).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with letting a company know if they have gone off course.

Truthfully, I don't understand folks who sit back and accept any thing. because you don't like some thing doesn't mean your "against" the company or store.

Someone posted a LA Times article that basically says even with the outpouring of disapproval that the new Merida is still going to be used in marketing...and they'll still use the old Merida for things as well. Sorry that I don't have a link.

:lmao: That;s the same thing coke said when they got blasted for that ridiculous "new" coke product. I guess on these boards that was an "over" reaction too.

they claimed new coke would still be sold along with the coke classic. I haven't seen a can of "new" coke in years.

Actually that fight was already done. When BBB first open many patrons were vocal about how the cm's were heavy handed with the makeup and how too many little girls came out looking "tarted" up. MOre like pagent contestants then princesses. Disney changed and the make up was tone down (at least to me it was).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with letting a company know if they have gone off course.

Truthfully, I don't understand folks who sit back and accept any thing. because you don't like some thing doesn't mean your "against" the company or store.

Perhaps those that accept it didn't think there was anything wrong with the change and realized that a cartoon character isn't that big of a deal.

Yes but they still get makeup applied, have their hair done, get princess dresses etc. How is this cartoon any different than Merida walking into BBB or any other salon? I don't see anything different between the two except her hair is done, she had makeup put on and she lost the arrows for a dress. Isn't that the princess transformation that parents drop hundreds on in DW?

I have nothing wrong with people not accepting everything. But alot of people are arguing that they didn't want their kids to think this is how girls should look. Ok, so take 5 seconds and tell your kids that she went to a salon like mommy does. Problem solved. And i'm sure these parents will be first in line at disney when a rail-thin, over makeup version of Merida is signing auto's and taking pictures just like the other princesses.

Perhaps those that accept it didn't think there was anything wrong with the change and realized that a cartoon character isn't that big of a deal.

To you. and that's totally cool
My kids wanted to be Batman when they were very little. so I totally admit, how Batman was portrayed, drawn, spoke, was a very big deal, some of the versions we disliked so we did not allow them to see those versions nor purchase merchandise with that particular version.

So when my kids were little, yep cartoon characters were a big deal and they were not allowed to watch any and every cartoon.

Yes but they still get makeup applied, have their hair done, get princess dresses etc. How is this cartoon any different than Merida walking into BBB or any other salon? I don't see anything different between the two except her hair is done, she had makeup put on and she lost the arrows for a dress. Isn't that the princess transformation that parents drop hundreds on in DW?

I have nothing wrong with people not accepting everything. But alot of people are arguing that they didn't want their kids to think this is how girls should look. Ok, so take 5 seconds and tell your kids that she went to a salon like mommy does. Problem solved. And i'm sure these parents will be first in line at disney when a rail-thin, over makeup version of Merida is signing auto's and taking pictures just like the other princesses.

you don't see the difference between make up that's on to look natural and make up that's applied to look like a vamp (putting it nicely).

Wow I totally do.

ok, agree to disagree. the make up I wear to work is way different than what I wear to go out dancing with my dh. the amount of "skin" I show at work is a lot different than when I go out. two totally different looks.

IMO the new Merida wasn't that bad. She was kind of prettier. Sultry isn't all that bad if it isn't revealing too much and that cartoon was not.

Hey, people spoke up and Disney listened! I think that's good news, especially for people who have been complaining about standards in the parks. (And I think it's good business sense on the part of Disney.)

As for the debate about whether it was an overreaction, either way its a matter of opinion. There's no accounting for tastes.

They look mostly the same :confused3 One is just hand drawn and one is computer drawn so there are things that are different. Both look the same size and granted the "sexy" Merida looks older, again i think its because of the hand drawn art.

There is nothing wrong with either. I actually like that they incorporated both dresses into one. It shows a level of maturity.

I'm glad they changed it. I hope "new" Merida fades away. The new look wasn't intended by the movie's creators and that should be the end of it.

All of the new princesses look terrible. I especially hate the new Pocahontas, I have so many issues with that! But I'm glad they pulled the new Merida, she (like the rest of the princesses) was the perfect the way she was :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter