“Embarrassing My Children, Just Another Service I Provide” Trip Report

Sometimes planning too far in advance gives you too much time to think! And that is certainly true in my case ..... :surfweb:

I was thinking about our arrival day and how I can make it as stress free as possible. This was also about the same time I was reading posts on the Transportation Board about returning rental cars to MCO being a pain. So it struck me….why not bypass the rental counter at the airport and let Magical Express take us to the resort. That would certainly be less stressful for my mom since driving around Orlando would not be on her top ten list of things that don’t stress you out! Great no problem…I’ll do Magical Express and pick my rental car up on property since we do want one (or at least I do) for grocery runs, getting mom around to the parks with the scooter in the truck instead of worrying about waiting for buses.:thumbsup2

But then it occurs to me again…wait now, I didn’t book a Disney Hotel for the lst night of our trip because I figured we’d spend a night at on off property resort after going to Ocala to visit my best friend so now Magical Express back to the airport and returning the car to the airport was something I was kind of thinking I’d avoid. Well then there’s nothing else to do but extend our stay on property…no-brainer right?

But wait…if I’m going to extend the stay it’s only a short mental leap to “why am I only staying at one resort?”. Why aren’t I doing a split stay? After all who knows when I’ll ever have a deal like the 40% off code again. Well…bad news…my Dreams agent tells me that I can extend the stay at AKL probably no problem but doing a split stay is considered a new booking and as I had already figured out that the pin code email I got for the discount expired the end of February a second booking at the discount is a no go. Dang.:confused:

But wait again! I never, I repeat never, throw out anything Disney sends me discount-wise because you never know when I’m going to hit the lottery….okay I only ever win $2-$3 free tickets but a gal can hope can’t she? So I go digging in my in box and low and behold there’s a second code….that has NO EXPIRY!!!! Can you hear the heavens opening and the angels singing? :banana:

So a second email fired off to DU and cha- ching!!! It’s done! We are now booked at AKL for four nights and then WL for the last three! I’m so excited! Initially I had a tough time deciding which of these two resorts I’d like to try and now I get to do them both! I told me mom that the next time we do this if there’s code we’ll try out the monorail resorts.:laughing:

Also went ahead and booked out rental car that I'll pick up at the Double Tree. Got a good deal through a link on the Dis’s transportation page for Budget and saved $100! And then just to top things off I booked a scooter through Walker Mobility for Mom, even though she hasn’t fully agreed to it yet….easier to cancel a reservation though then scramble for one at the last minute right?

And now I only have 230 days to fill …..time to start my binder….and of course there’s ADR’s coming up on May. Which means park hours will be out and I can get our rough game plan going!

And let’s not forget it’s going to take 200 plus days to teach my father how to use the microwave. :lmao:

Just realized I started counting down more then 400 days ago…..which means I’m half way there!
:cool1:

I tried hard to book a duel stay too. But the darn dinning plan (which I wanted once I got a code for free quick service) just doesn't make it worth while. But WL was on the list. I've stayed at AKL and it's lovely.

Hi! Just found your pre-trip, love it:banana: My family and I are also going in Nov. 13-20. We went that week last year and it was beautiful. I alsolove to plan way in advance:thumbsup2 Looking forward to making my ADR's next:)

Woohoo for extending the trip and for staying at the WL. That is where we will be so hopefully we can meet up at some point!! :cool1:

~Jen

Hi! Just found your pre-trip, love it:banana: My family and I are also going in Nov. 13-20. We went that week last year and it was beautiful. I alsolove to plan way in advance:thumbsup2 Looking forward to making my ADR's next:)

Sounds like we might have to plan a Dis Meet or two!! :thumbsup2

I tried hard to book a duel stay too. But the darn dinning plan (which I wanted once I got a code for free quick service) just doesn't make it worth while. But WL was on the list. I've stayed at AKL and it's lovely.

I was kind of surprised when it worked....I figured there'd be a minimum length of stay with my PIN code but I guess not. :banana:

The dining plan isn't really a great option for us since we're pretty light eaters and I plan to do breakfast in the room, lunch on the fly etc. I think I'm only doing 3 adr's all week at this point. However, I'm hoping the Wishes Dessert Party will be one of them since they've extended it with no end date listed :banana:.....you can have dessert for a meal right? I hope so because we're having ice cream at Beaches and Cream another night! We are on vacation after all :)

However, I'm hoping the Wishes Dessert Party will be one of them since they've extended it with no end date listed :banana:.....you can have dessert for a meal right?

Of course you can have dessert for a meal.

In fact we're going to head to beaches and cream for lunch one day. We might just have ice cream. Who knows? Dairy has protein in it right? Throw some fruit on it and we can round it out even more.

I called my TA about adding on the dessert party yesterday. She wasn't big on the idea. In fact she talked me out of it. I had heard some not so great reviews about it on the boards lately. Instead we are going to go to the poly and get some dessert type things (possibly a dole whip too) and watch the fireworks from the beach.

Great PTR so far! :cool1:

We were there Nov. 09, similar dates... the Gingerbread House at the Grand Floridian was constructed and open for business! (bought quite a few Christmas gifts there!)

Are you considering Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party?

Down to 197 days! I’m under the 200 mark!!! :banana::banana:

Two things have happened since I left off...

One....knocked another chunk off my car rental! :thumbsup2 Keep checking your rates folks! I happened to go on after reading that other people were seeing rates going down an various car rental places and low and behold the amount for the car I reserved was down $40 AND the next size up was the exact same price (still through the Dis link)! So with a quick book and cancel round of emails I booked the next size up, making my amount come to under $200 and with a trunk size that should have no trouble accommodating Mom’s scooter.

Two....I succumbed to the Baggallini obsession. I’ve been carrying around the Buxton bag I got as my regular purse and I’ve realized it just won’t cut the mustard for the parks. It’s a definite one for in the airport but just won’t hold what I want touring. So after finding out from another Disser that the delivery company BagsBuy uses won’t charge an arm and a leg for brokerage fees I checked them out. Found a code for a discount, signed up as a member on the site and got another discount and with a Baggallini that was already on sale hit “Buy”. At last check there’s a red ripstop Baggallini crossbody bag crossing the border as we speak :) . I really hope I like the bag since I usually like to hold something before I buy but oddly enough my last park bag I did the same thing (succumbed to the Overland Donner bag obsession at that time).

Now I’m stalking the park hours since I can make my ADR’s in 17 DAYS!!!! Chef Mickey is a must do and at this point is my only adr to make but of course you all know how much thinking goes into one simple decision for the obsessed planner :laughing: And of course I'm living on Continental's website ready to pounce on a good fare....things are looking up....they came down $12 this week :rotfl2:

Great PTR so far! :cool1:

We were there Nov. 09, similar dates... the Gingerbread House at the Grand Floridian was constructed and open for business! (bought quite a few Christmas gifts there!)

Are you considering Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party?

Hi MinnieMommy...no we aren't thinking of MVMCP this time but I am completely excited that Festival of the Masters is the same week and we'll catch the last day or two of Food and Wine! :wizard:

It came! It Came! My Baggallini Messenger bag came!!

I think the delivery guy thought I was nuts as I came running out of the house with the COD fees and followed him all around the truck while he was looking for it :)

So far I think I'm going to love it! Definitly a nice size and having modeled it for the dog (noone else home at the time :) ) we both agree (the dog and I that is) that it looks and feels like it will be really comfy to wear. Feels like it would take a really good splash too!

Happy Happy Happy :banana::banana::banana:

Now if they would just release those park hours!!!!!:surfweb:

Hi Dawn,
All caught up now !! I cant believe theres no picture up of the bag - come on girl !!:lmao:

Im so excited about park hours too - wish they would hurry up with yours because then mie will be out !!

Louisex

Here's your pic Louise!

p_00096-1.jpg

Took the new Baggallini for a test run on a hike today. Granted I only put a good size bottle of water in it, my wallet and some bug spray but I quite liked it!

It feels like it will sit well when fully loaded but not hold so much that I'll feel like I'm carrying a big back pack. I like how it sits on "the girls" too....much better strap for that then my Overland Donner did. This doesn't feel like it would be a skinny girl bag though. I've got some meat on my bones and I had the strap shortend up all the way. A tiny person might feel like it was chaffing or swinging on them too much.

192 days and I get to use it for what it was intended for! :banana:

Hi there!

Just followed your link from the Atlantic Canadians thread and enjoyed your pre-trip to date! High points all the way, it seems...not just 1 but 2 deluxe resorts, your Mom coming along, and the arrival of that ever-so-Dis status symbol - the BAGGALLINI! Very cool.

In only a few days we'll be closing in on that 180 day mark. Do you make a lot of ADRs or play things more by ear? I think we have decided to lunch at the CP on our first day (Nov 7) since I have taken the stand that our Day 1 just has to be Magic Kingdom. I may go the ADR route for this, although I have never made one before. Seems I have been missing a key experience all these years. :rotfl:

Looking forward to sharing these pre-trip months with you.

Hi there!

Just followed your link from the Atlantic Canadians thread and enjoyed your pre-trip to date! High points all the way, it seems...not just 1 but 2 deluxe resorts, your Mom coming along, and the arrival of that ever-so-Dis status symbol - the BAGGALLINI! Very cool.

In only a few days we'll be closing in on that 180 day mark. Do you make a lot of ADRs or play things more by ear? I think we have decided to lunch at the CP on our first day (Nov 7) since I have taken the stand that our Day 1 just has to be Magic Kingdom. I may go the ADR route for this, although I have never made one before. Seems I have been missing a key experience all these years. :rotfl:

Looking forward to sharing these pre-trip months with you.

Welcome! :flower3: If you're going to be there over the same time we are I'm hoping to have a dismeet so hopefully we'll get to meet in person!

When we were there during free dining in 2007 I made lots of ADR's (kind of a must in "free dining") but I found it so stressful trying to make sure we were there by the right times I found it very stressful so this time I'm only making a few, especially since my mom and girls are fairly light eaters. I'm doing a grocery run so we'll have lots of snack type stuff to keep us going and small breakfast stuff in the room. I'm with you and it has to be MK the first day so we plan to eat counter service (probably Cosmic Ray's or Pinnocio Village Haus....love them Figaro Fries!). At this point I'm booking a late breakfast for day two at Chef Mickey's, Planet Hollywood for our Downtown Disney Day when we go to Festival of the Master's and if they have extended it...the Wishes Dessert party for whichever night we can get. Other then that it Beaches and Cream for supper possibly our last night, though you can't make ADR's for there. Everything else will probably be snacking or eating at whichever place we happen to be standing in front of :)

How long are you going for? Staying on property?

Welcome! :flower3: If you're going to be there over the same time we are I'm hoping to have a dismeet so hopefully we'll get to meet in person!

When we were there during free dining in 2007 I made lots of ADR's (kind of a must in "free dining") but I found it so stressful trying to make sure we were there by the right times I found it very stressful so this time I'm only making a few, especially since my mom and girls are fairly light eaters. I'm doing a grocery run so we'll have lots of snack type stuff to keep us going and small breakfast stuff in the room. I'm with you and it has to be MK the first day so we plan to eat counter service (probably Cosmic Ray's or Pinnocio Village Haus....love them Figaro Fries!). At this point I'm booking a late breakfast for day two at Chef Mickey's, Planet Hollywood for our Downtown Disney Day when we go to Festival of the Master's and if they have extended it...the Wishes Dessert party for whichever night we can get. Other then that it Beaches and Cream for supper possibly our last night, though you can't make ADR's for there. Everything else will probably be snacking or eating at whichever place we happen to be standing in front of :)

How long are you going for? Staying on property?

Would this be a bad time to mention that the Figaro Fries are no longer on the menu at Pinocchio Village Haus? :sad2:

It would be fun to meet up with some fellow Dis-crazy Nova Scotians. We are staying at Windsor Hills, Nov 6 - 20. I understand what you are saying about the ADRs. I may love to plan but we would not do well trying to make a reserved dining time every day.

It's a little embarrassing to admit, but we already have a grocery list well underway. We breakfast as people are up and ready to eat, and get out the door when we are ready to go. Lunch is usually in a park, whatever appeals whenever we get hungry. It has worked well in the past to head "home" mid-afternoon for a swim and rest, then whip up some supper before heading out for the evening. Even though we never thought we'd be cooking much on a vacation, it doesn't seem like a chore at all.

Sorry to hear that your Figaro Fries have been discontinued, but maybe they will make it back on the menu before your trip. Here's hoping! :wizard:

Wow Apple momma - I do love the bag !! :love:

I know what you mean about ADRs too im keeping them to minimium this time and trying to adopt a kind of go woth the flow approach to food !! ( fingers crossed )

You keep lucking out on the car hire too - if only us Brits had such good luck !!:rotfl:

Cant wait to read more once that crucial 180 day mark comes round !!!

Just found this report and am enjoying it very much. It also reminded me that I was suppose to do a trip report or at least give you info on my trip with my mom in January. I am sooooo sorry........gonna get on that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter