“Embarrassing My Children, Just Another Service I Provide” Trip Report

How are those ADR's coming along?

I've been on hold this entire time.......Just kidding :lmao:

Actually I've had my Dreams agent on hold :lovestruc

I only made a couple because we're not big eaters and we won't be on the dining plan. One for the Friday of our trip for Chef Mickey's as a brunch/lunch and one for Planet Hollywood on our festival of the Masters day for an early supper. The rest will be counter service for the most part I think.

The only other is trying to get into the Wishes Dessert Party if it's extended to November. Again, my DU agent (God love you Mindy!!!) is keeping an eye on that for me because we'll need to jump right on that. Looking at the park hours the only night they are scheduling Spectromagic and when there isn't a MVMCParty is the Monday. If we get it great; if we don't....well it won't ruin our vacation :)

On the home front my father manageed to spend a night alone a few weeks ago with out blowing up the microwave so that's progress towards his week long bachelorhood in November.....ladies, do your future daughter in laws a favour and teach your sons to cook! Mid 60's is not the time to start learning :laughing:

Now all I have to plan is when to try and fit in a Dis Meet!!! Any suggestions?

Oh, wouldn't it be lovely to see the Wishes Dessert Party offered in Nov? Just my inquiring mind, but I would love to know how they make decisions on the timing of so many things like this. Are you planning to see Fantasmic?

I laughed at your comments about your father and cooking! I know my DGSs will be learning their way around a kitchen. DH, on the other hand, had another woman in his life for many years... her name was Wendy and she'd make him french fries EVERY NIGHT, if he wanted them. It was very tough to get him to give her up. :rotfl:

Hey Dawn! Count me in on the meet. I hope some of the others who are going during 'our' time from my TR will come over, too! :thumbsup2 Never done a DISmeet before!

My DH (who doesn't do Disney with us, either) thinks its 100% Twilight Zone to want to meet up with people from the internet. I told him, 'it's not the internet, it's the DISboards!' :laughing: Whatever, I think it will be kinda fun to put some (user)names with faces! So count me and Lily in!

I'm enjoying your PTR so far. The whole Dream Villas then 2 pin code thing has me wondering now if Disney doesn't somehow hijack the guest list from over there and start sending PIN codes! I got one, but it's only till June. Wonder if I should do some *inquiring* offsite. :confused3 :laughing:

I'm finally writing something on here, because we have booked for November 12-20. I was waiting to post here, until I knew we would be there around the same time. I probably would be interested in a DISmeet, and I'm hoping to start up a pre-trip report soon. Love your ptr so far.

Score!! Got my flights to Orlando out of Halifax on Continental last night for $273 ($375 taxes in)! That works out to be less then when we flew out ouf Portland in '07 when you add in the cost of the drive and hotel to go down!

Pays to keep checking! Especially late in the evening mid week!

Now I've got to spend some time updating this trip report and start getting all my details in order!! Especially a DIS Meet!!!

Congrats on the flight. That sounds like an awesome price.

Any luck with the dessert party? I heard it was extended but honestly I didn't pay any attention to the actual dates.

Congrats on the flight. That sounds like an awesome price.

Any luck with the dessert party? I heard it was extended but honestly I didn't pay any attention to the actual dates.

All in my next update which I'll have done soon......cliffhanger for you :)

Pick me pick me pick me !!

I know what the surprise is !! :-)

lmao x x x

Pick me pick me pick me !!

I know what the surprise is !! :-)

lmao x x x

:rotfl2::rotfl2::hug: Did you have any luck Louise?

Okay....so last night didn't end up going as planned and I never got to do what I wanted to do for my update so I'll spill the beans.

In answer to Diamond's question - YUP! another SCORE! Once again my obession to check this late at night pays off. I'd been watching a thread on the dessert party where kind Diser's had been calling disney Dining each day to see if they had exgtended it and then posting on the thread. At 11:00 Saturday night suddenly there were two posters saying they'd booked into Sept and Oct and I beleive one of them said they had heard from a CM they were doing select dates until December.

So I whip off an email to my dreamUnlimited agent, Mindy, who I could hug and told her the rumor. Planner that I am Minday and i had set up a contingensy (I have no idea how to spell that right) in the event of this happening. There was only one night of our trip that I'd want the party since there were MVMCP's happening a lot during our trip and Spectromagic was only happening on the Monday night so that's the night I wanted. By 7 am Mindy had emailed me back that she got it!!!!

The reservation is for 7 and the parade starts at 7 but I'm not concerned. I figure I'll do my usual 10 minutes early arrival and even if we don't get in until a little after 7 we'll still see most of it.....from the comfort of the terrace instead of killing my butt on the curb!

okay, this post is full of typing errors but you'll have to forgive me....I'm flying out the door on the next in the line of things we're doing to occupy ourselves until disney. My plan is to share those diversions with lots of pics with all of you very soon.

and for those of you going to Disney the same time as us the only thing i haveleft to plan is a Dis meet so put your thinking caps on!!

:rotfl2::rotfl2::hug: Did you have any luck Louise?
!!

I have not phoned yet as Im waiting for pay day :headache:
I also need to revamp my iterinary as there are many surprises in the making that mean the origional one just wont work !!!

Will keep you posted :thumbsup2

Okay, I’ve neglected this long enough!!!

So here’s where we stand:
ADR’s at Chef Mickey’s, Planet Hollywood and the Wishes Dessert Party all booked!
Airline tickets booked!
Travel insurance purchased!
Beginning to pull in odds and ends of packing (plus 100 days out isn’t too soon for that is it?)!

So now it’s really down to the details and I’m really not stressing park planning that much. It’s going to be a “what do we feel like today” kind of trip. The only twist to that plan will be our HS day as I want to be sure we ride Toy Story Mania so we’ll have to plan for the possibility of grabbing fast passes early and staying there for awhile or coming back. But if it doesn’t work it doesn’t work…..I know I’M coming back at least so it can always be done next week.

Monday will officially be 100 days away! The girls and I are going to begin a countdown for my mom to help get her in the spirit of the whole thing. I would have preferred to start this at 400 days out but saner heads prevailed….. Anyway, I think my mom is still nervous about the whole thing but hopefully this will help to pull out the Disney Adventure Spirit in her…. I know it’s in there somewhere. For our countdown it will be simple things for the most part; emailed pictures, tips and tricks etc. but we’ve also got a few surprises up our sleeves. Sorry folks, she reads this so no hints here! I’ll let you know once she knows.

With my addiction to my Disney trip being what it is I’ve found that everything I’ve been doing is somehow tying in with “The Mouse” and so pretty much everything this year has been part of my own personal countdown. This includes the end of school, birthdays and how many haircuts left (like I said…..addiction). Thankfully so far this has been a summer full of unusual activities so I’m being kept well distracted. I thought I’d share a few of the neater, more unusual things I’ve been doing to help pass the time. Plus, having taken the plunge and bought the Baggalinni, I’ve been able to try it out several times and know without question that this is the PERFECT bag for my trip!

First up, in June, besides the usual rigamaroll of end of school activities, I got to attend my great-great grandfather’s funeral! I can hear you now…..my great-great grandfather? How is that fun and how is it even possible? No, we don’t have several generations of people having babies at the age or ten, nor was he an exceptionally old man. He actually passed away in 1908 and no, it didn’t take this long to bury him…

My great-great-grandfather was actually a veteran in US Civil War and there is a military regiment with re-enactors (spelling) who are actively seeking out those who were in the war but went home and when died were not given a proper military funeral. They actually came to the area and did five that day but of course I like to think ours was the best :)

Now I can here a few of you muttering “but she’s in Nova Scotia not the US”….okay maybe none of you are but I’ll point it out anyway so I can give a little history lesson…..At the time of the Civil War Canada wasn’t the country you have today. In fact “Canada” proper was mostly just considered to be the area of parts of Ontario and Quebec; the Maritimes were pretty much considered a colony and because of our shared history with the US, many having close family ties to New England, fears of what could or couldn’t happen as a result of the war, and some for just plain old money, ten’s of thousands of men from New Brunswick and Nova Scotia (and possibly Prince Edward Island….I’m not sure) went to fight for the North. Approximately 500 actually went to fight for the South too! My gggrandfather was actually studying to be a doctor at Harvard at the time and they offered the class early graduation and a quite handsome salary for their participation. It was just what he needed for his sense of adventure when you read his letters home to his fiancé and certainly helped finance their ability to wed. No doubt he gained a lot of scary, no holds barred experience as well. He went on to become a good old fashioned country doctor, lived a long life, married his sweetheart Emma, had his daughter, May, who in turn had my grandfather Karl and so on.....

So while it’s not Disney related it certainly gave me something to help mark the passage of time…..

Here’s a few pictures from the experience. They did an excellent job! My apologies if they are huge....photobucket isn't behaving itself today!

2010_06120134.jpg

Assistant Surgeon Frederic Newton Burgess - my great-great grandfather - graduated early from Harvard Medical School and served at Fort Munroe from Feb 1865 to the end of the American Civil War. The Union Jack is drapped on the stone along with his daily rations and muskut as he is considered to have still been on duty until this ceremony

2010_06120138.jpg

Members of the Maritime Civil War Living History Association, 20th Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Company I with Chaplain Peter Gillies who gave us a great history lesson.

2010_06120172.jpg

Firing a salute.....civil war rifles are LOUD!!!

Next up....my second favorite Happy Place...

100 days out already !! :yay::yay::dance3:

The pics of the funeral are so surreal and defiantly an experience to remember !!

I cant wait to find out whatthe second happy placce is - if teh first was a funeral how happy can it get ??:rotfl2: ( only joking )

100 days out already !! :yay::yay::dance3:

The pics of the funeral are so surreal and defiantly an experience to remember !!

I cant wait to find out whatthe second happy placce is - if teh first was a funeral how happy can it get ??:rotfl2: ( only joking )

Well my FIRST favourite happy place is of course Disney! :woohoo:

But it was pretty funny watching people's faces when I was telling people I was excited about going to a funeral....then I'd explain further :laughing:

Hey there... I can see I am not the only one distracted by summer activities and spending less time on the Dis! It seems like Nov is right around the corner, now that we have slipped into the double digit countdown, doesn't it? Thank heavens we are avdance planners, because there is so much going on between now and then that I sometimes feels like I won't be ready!

Great score on the airfare, Applemomma, It certainly paid off for you to wait. Awesome news, too, about the Wishes Dessert Party. It's soooo tempting...

Working on my next "distraction" installments but wanted to update on our coutdown first! Yesterday for our 100 day celebration we gave my mom a certificate pronouncing only 100 days to her Embarrassing My (Grand)Children Ultimate Vacation, which I think helped to get her in the mood. Today we gave her the planning dvd and the girls spent the afternoon going through it with her which I KNOW got her in the spirit because she promptly played "Zipideedoda!" on the piano and best of all....signed up on the DisBoards!! :banana: So if you see TheFairyGrandmother on here say hi! :rotfl:

On another Disney note some friends of ours helped me get over the "Disney Blues" this past spring by letting me help them plan their trip and they just presented me with the cutest Mickey Disney pin :)

Back later with another update soon!

Now for my next “distraction” update…..

I know most of us have an emotional reaction to Walt Disney World; why else would we be so eager to get back! My last trip I burst into tears on the tram from the parking lot for heaven sake! There is only one other place on earth that brings out that kind of reaction in me and that is McLeod’s Campground in Dunvagan, Cape Breton Island.

This little piece of heaven in on the north-west side of Cape Breton only 45 minutes from the beginning of the world famous Cabot Trail. We discovered it about 8 years ago and have made it our only destination for camping ever since.

2010_07040108.jpg

2010_07040036.jpg

It never fails that when I step on this beach tears come to my eyes and I have a sense of peace and of “home-coming”. I think it stems from sitting here with my then 6 and 2 year old and watching them play in the sand and water and thinking “what joy! What more could a child want!” Now of course I realize how much work camping was with them at that age!! It’s so much easier now that they can disappear on their bikes for rides to the camp store on their own, take themselves to the washroom (or stay put while I take myself!), stay up way past a proper bedtime with out needing twice the nap the next day and best of all…..fetch their mom a cooler when I’m too lazy to leave the side of the campfire :lmao:

Rather then remember our times here by the “year” we always remember them by the event such as “the year Lindsay fell in the fire pit” (no fire in it at the time), “the year the fireworks caught the beach grass on fire” (not our fireworks!) or “the year we spent the whole day watching pilot whales circle the island”. This year will be remembered as “the year Daddy took his motorbike”. DH was excited about the prospect of going around the Cabot Trail on his bike so we decided why not. I drove the girls and the dog and all our supplies and Joe got his fill of riding on two wheels. It worked out great and though we didn’t really plan it, managed to stay together most of the time.

2010_07040312.jpg

It’s normally a 6-7 hour drive from our house to campsite but we stretched our return trip out quite a bit as we decided to take the Marine Route home along the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. Word to the wise…..there is no transcanada style highway in this part of the province, in fact at one point you have to take a ferry across a river or go an hour out of your way, and this turned our 6 hour drive into 12.

2010_07040317.jpg

Of course we did have to stop at a lighthouse museum and at a bakery housed in the building that used to be the home of DH’s grandmother, Ellen, who Rae shares a name with. So a little family tree inserted itself into this trip as well :)

2010_07040370.jpg

2010_07040374.jpg

2010_07040300.jpg

My next distraction has a whole lot of history and crosses a big item of my “Bucket List”!!

Bumping in to come along for the ride. Thinking of going to DW the 1st week in November; but if we don't get decent air prices, we can't go. If only, by some miracle......:worship:

Bumping in to come along for the ride. Thinking of going to DW the 1st week in November; but if we don't get decent air prices, we can't go. If only, by some miracle......:worship:

Welcome to the crew! Don't forget to check late at night and clear your computer history when looking for those airline deals!!

Hi Applemomma,

Summer's behind us now - officially! We made our annual pilgrimage to the beautiful Annapolis Valley for apple picking last weekend. Have you made a list/started on the pre-trip chores yet? We have. Made the list that is. :rotfl:

Actually, we did start packing the deck furniture, dismantling pool pump, digging out the winter tires - if only to have space to store that deck furniture! Changing the tires is definitely on my list for late Oct. We returned to ice and snow after our Nov 2008 trip, and our house/dog sitter was very glad that we'd left a well-prepared car for her.

I definitely get emotional when I see many Disney sites, and a few not-so-Disney ones. The countryside in Utah took my breath away at almost every turn. Your photos are beautiful, thanks for sharing!

Oh wow! I am seriously behind here! In my defense I did have an apple harvest to get taken care of :) I’ll forgo the “how I spent my summer” stuff and get right to the point …..I’M GOING TO DISNEY IN 2 DAYS

At times the last 100 days have crawled by and then others just seemed to disappear in a flash! I’ll be so glad to fret on the road though so I can stop fretting that something is going to sabotage this trip. Oh wait….something is…ME! After worrying about everyone else I managed to pull a hamstring reaching for a bottle of laundry detergent on the floor of all things. Now, in defense of the laundry detergent it wasn’t entirely it’s fault. I had been rolling 200 pound round bales of hay to mulch the orchard with by hand they day before so perhaps I can blame it on that….not laundry….and not the fact that I’m getting old…..:confused:It’s not too bad as long as I don’t push something (like a bale of hay) with my leg and walking doesn’t hurt so I’ll pack my Tylenol, ice my leg and suck it up…..we’ve planned a slow pace anyway.

So the plan now is for our wheels to leave the driveway at 4pm on Tuesday. We all know that’s the OFFICIAL start of vacation! We’ll do a little shopping in the city (Halifax), take Mom’s dog to my sister’s house (otherwise known as the dog-spa), have dinner with her and head for the airport hotel. It’s “Glee” night so once we get our “Gleek on” it’s a mandatory early lights out because we need to be at the airport at the ungodly hour of *gasp* 4:30 am. I have my suspicions that we’re going to arrive before Continental or PreBoarding customs is open but I like to be early for anything that’s time sensitive so if I’m supposed to be there 2 hours before then I’m standing in that line at 2 hours on the dot!

6:30 flight, connecting in Newark, gets us to Orlando and that lovely Magical Express Bus at 2:00 in the afternoon and to the Animal Kingdom Lodge around 3:00!!! I’d be doing a serious happy dance but my hamstring doesn’t like that LOL so I’ll let some bananas dance for me…..:banana::banana::banana:

We’re taking a netbook so I’ll try and do a bit of a live trip report, though we won’t have it everyday. I’ll make the best use of my 24 hours use of the internet hookup so won’t have it arrival day, resort switch day or departure day. I do promise to do a full report when I get back….I’ll need to so I can sooth my Disney Homesickness….mind you, we’re already planning our next trip :surfweb::thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter