ºoº Attractions Unique to Disneyland & California Adventure from WDW

To Mary Jo and all of the others who have provided info on this thoroughly informative thread: THANK YOU!

We're heading back to DL next week for the first time since our brief trip there in 1990. We're staying on site for two nights and hope to pack in as much as possible. And thanks to this thread, we'll be a bit more efficient with our precious hours.

All the best.

And now, we're back home.

It was practically a new experience for us to be back at Disneyland (a too-short, one day trip in 1990 is so distant).

A few quick observations from WDW "veterans":

DL Main Street had a bit more charm than WDW's Main Street. DL's Main Street featured more numerous store fronts giving it a more early-20th century feel.

DL's POTC is better than WDW's attraction. DL's POTC is longer and the battle area features more artillery shots and water explosions. And the two drops are cool. Above all, it's the fireflies!

DL's acknowledgement to Fess Parker and Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier is clearly superior to the few references to the Baby Boomer's greatest hero at WDW. The inclusion of part of "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" in the "Remember...Dreams Come True" fireworks show is truly wonderful.

DL's Toon Town is a town! And then some!

The counter service and casual sit-down food facilities are a bit better (in quantity and quality) at DL.

Of course, it was great to see Mr. Toad and the Electrical Parade at DL a few days ago. And certain attractions unique to DL, like Indiana Jones, the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes and the Casey Jr. Circus Train are, well, special.

Overall, however, we enjoy the size of WDW and its three monorail resorts. (BTW: The WDW monorails are superior to the one at DL.) And WDW has Spectromagic! To be sure, it's somewhat closer.

But there's plenty of magic on both coasts!:cool2:

I love Pirate's at both parks, but the DL version is my favorite. I love how it is set in New Orleans Square and the double dip!

I love Pirate's at both parks, but the DL version is my favorite. I love how it is set in New Orleans Square and the double dip!

After the relatively recent refurb of WDW's POTC, one would think that the main battle area following the drop would have been enhanced with more action in sight 'n' sound, particularly the faux explosions. But it wasn't. After we experienced the DLR's POTC, we quickly realized why it has a distinct advantage over the WDW version.
pirate:

After the relatively recent refurb of WDW's POTC, one would think that the main battle area following the drop would have been enhanced with more action in sight 'n' sound, particularly the faux explosions. But it wasn't. After we experienced the DLR's POTC, we quickly realized why it has a distinct advantage over the WDW version.
pirate:
Unfortunately, Imagineering had a plan to really plus up WDW's POTC and make it more like the Disneyland original as part of the movie additions to the attraction, but were overruled by MK management because they did not want to close the attraction for the 2 weeks of Spring Break back in 2006.

Unfortunately, Imagineering had a plan to really plus up WDW's POTC and make it more like the Disneyland original as part of the movie additions to the attraction, but were overruled by MK management because they did not want to close the attraction for the 2 weeks of Spring Break back in 2006.

If, indeed, what you say is true, WDW could have easily shifted the refurb to another time. WDW's POTC remains a favorite of ours and will always be high on our list of must-do attractions practically every day we are in the MK. Alas, though, for those who have only ridden on WDW's POTC, what they are missing is quite unique to say the very least.
pirate:

I'm trying to remember where I first heard that. It may have been from an Imagineer on a podcast or something, but it was over two years ago, so I'm not sure on that. It really is too bad though. As you said, people who've never been on the Disneyland version have no idea what they're missing out on.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Haunted Mansion Holidays!

At DLand, between October and December, they deck out both the inside and outside of the Haunted Mansion in "Nightmare Before Christmas" garb:

(I have less than 10 posts, so I can't yet post an image or link, but do a web search for "haunted mansion holidays" for more information)

It is a VERY extensive renovation, both inside and out, that they then have to tear back down after Christmas. If you are a Nightmare Before Christmas fan (as my family is), this is something that you don't want to miss!

(PS They also theme up parts of Disneyland, including the main entry gates, in Halloween garb during October...big jack-o-lantern Mickey and Pluto heads at the gates, etc.)

One last point, when riding the DL RR, you get to see the iconic "Primeval World" display of animitronic dinosaurs. One of my most clear and vivid memories of Disneyland growing up was the Allosaurus vs Stegosaurus display in the lava field...and now my kids remember it as well, calling them "the red dinosaurs". We go to DL at least once a year, and we ALWAYS make sure to see the Primeval World display...that and IASW.

And speaking of IASW, someone PLEASE replace the streamer "flames" on those dang volcanos!

I just returned from Disneyland! I agree with all the posters here. It was a wonderful trip! I tried to get on all the attractions that were different from WDW, some better, some worse!
Thanks for all the tips:thumbsup2

One last point, when riding the DL RR, you get to see the iconic "Primeval World" display of animitronic dinosaurs. One of my most clear and vivid memories of Disneyland growing up was the Allosaurus vs Stegosaurus display in the lava field...and now my kids remember it as well, calling them "the red dinosaurs". We go to DL at least once a year, and we ALWAYS make sure to see the Primeval World display...that and IASW.

And speaking of IASW, someone PLEASE replace the streamer "flames" on those dang volcanos!

It's always a wonderful surprise seeing those dinosaurs while traveling from tommowland to main steet. In WDW there are some of these scenes in Epcot's Universe of Energy.

I have to take exception with Thunder Mountain Railway. Its better in a lot of ways at MK, the track lay out is different with different effects and the queue area is better thought out. It is also on the water which is cool to watch from the Island and also adds enjoyment to the coaster itself.

You would REALLY enjoy This ride at Disneyland Paris. As you load on the ride you then travel underwater (in the dark) to thunder mountain and again plunge into the dark (underwater) to return to unload. :thumbsup2

Disneyland Paris
P2100205.jpg

:wizard: Just got back from WDW and the Disney Cruise last week. OMG! I am at DL at least 4 times a month! I Love it there!!!!!
My kids and I were incredibly disappointed with MK. Our POTC ride at DL is soooooooooo much better!!!!! MK has no bedroom scene, no pile of gold, no skeletons drinking where you stow yer weapons, no drops, not as many guys in jail, and no shooting gallery at the end. That's my favorite part cuz the pirate sitting on the cannon says "YoHo YoHo La La La La La"
MK's Space Mountain is terrible!! Since ours was redone a couple years ago, it rocks!!! Theirs is comparable to The Matterhorn, but in the dark. Really bumpy and it hurts your head.
We were excited to get to see Country Bear Jamboree, but were disappointed also because it looks so old and the songs were different from what they were here.
We love our Fantasmic! here. Missed the pirate ship and the Mark Twain cuz it has a lot more characters. And our Monkeys dance circles all over theirs!!!!!
What can I say? I am a Disneyland Lover through and through! And I'll be going back in a couple days.

I am not much of a fan of the version of Fantasmic at the Studios. Is the one at DL any different? I was thinking of skipping it on an upcoming trip in favor of extra rides on Pirates (which everyone says is much more awesome than the WDW version) and Indiana Jones (which WDW doesn't even have). Do you veterans of both parks think this is a good strategy or will I be missing something amazing?

The Fantasmic at DL is much better!!! I was soooo disappointed with the whole Pocahontas part. Really bad!
Having the Columbia come out like it is the Jolly Roger and Peter Pan and Capt Hook sword fighting is much better.
Then...Instead of a little Steamboat coming out with a few characters, you get the big Mark Twain with lots of characters! I really think that it is not to be missed. You'll be surprised by how much you will get done at DL cuz it is smaller, there is no need to choose to miss anything.

I agree, Fantasmic at Disneyland is NOT TO BE MISSED!. It is different than Hollywood studio and the atmosphere is great as Tom Sawyer Island turns into a special stage. :banana:

As an Orlando native, and a once-a-year to Disneyland (a two-week summer trip with the family so a little work gets done in the office on Harbor Blvd.), I have to say that you guys seem a little determined to dump on WDW just because you can't go there that much. Yeah, our Space Mountain sucks, especially compared to the DL one, but we have Rock n Roller Coaster at The Studios. And yeah, the DL Pirates isn't quite as well-done as the WDW one, but our Splash Mountain is much better than yours. And while you may have the Matterhorn, we have Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom. Sure, we don't have an Indiana Jones RIDE, but we have a fabulous Indy stunt show and the comparable dark ride 'DINOSAUR'. And your sister park, California Adventure, can't really stand up to MK's sisters Epcot, Studios, and Animal Kingdom.

Don't ruin it for the people at WDW--the FL park has many great things to be proud of as does the California park:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter