ºoº Official Disneyland Resort and Good Neighbor Hotels ºoº

WebmasterMaryJo

Techarita
Staff member
Administrator
I recently returned from a six night stay at the Holiday Inn Resort Area (on Manchester). We had a very enjoyable stay, no problems at all. We had a car so we didn't use the ART system, although we did two years ago as it was part of the package we had then. Only ate breakfast at the hotel once during our stay, kids eat free. It was fine but I think we did better with cereal/oatmeal in our room! The fridge was very handy for water, milk, soda. The room was always clean and the bathroom was spotless. The last time we had a shower only bathroom, this time we had a bathtub, same class of room, 2 doubles, so not sure what determines which bath type you get. It was a quick 10 minute drive to DL and quick drive to Knotts. There is a Target less than 2 miles down the street. Clean, comfortable hotel and a good rate ($60/night with Entertainment Book discount, similar discounts with advance purchase, AAA). This was our second stay and we would stay there again. I recommend it.

We are staying at the Days Inn and Suites at the Anaheim Resort. It got good reviews everywhere I checked, but we will never stay here again. The rooms are clean and decent, but the desk staff, especially swing shift is less than friendly and helpful. It took 4 requests, the last to the manager to get extra pillows. We ran out of TP in the middle of the night (which never should have happened) and were then told we had to go to the desk to pick up more! There seems to be a daily towel shortage, and when we checked in for a 9 night stay we were given a room so far down the windows opened on another wing we saw no sunlight at all. Spent half the next day waiting around for a new room, they would not give us one until after check in, which they did not offer to help us move to. Never again!

One good thing - I had shipped down the kids stockings for Christmas so they wouldn't see them in the car, and they thougt this was cute and were very nice about keeping the box at the desk until Christmas Eve.

Cheers,
Lisa

I recently stayed at the Best Western Anaheim Inn. There are two Best Westerns very close to the pedestrian entrance -- Best Western Park Place (I think that's the name) is directly across the street, and Best Western Anaheim Inn is about 1/2 a block further down (still within _easy_ walking distance).

I got a great rate at the Best Western Anaheim Inn through ARES Travel (linked from Mousesavers), but I wasn't pleased with the hotel.

The good:
- The employees were friendly.
- The hotel was close to Disneyland.
- The room was clean and neat.

The bad:
- They only have rooms with 2 double beds (you may not care, but since it's usually just me or me and my husband, I prefer one larger bed).
- The temperature is controlled with a thermostat that seemed to be way off.
- The A/C comes from a window-mount-type unit mounted high in the wall near the vanity. It's horribly loud, and would have woken me up at night if I hadn't disabled it.
- The plumbing is very loud when a nearby room is using it -- loud noises and a horrible whine that closing the bathroom door doesn't help.
- Since there are only external corridors, you can hear everyone walking by.
- I stayed near the front of the hotel, and could hear all the traffic passing.

Overall, I don't recommend it. I was _much_ happier with the HoJo's last time I was down, and it would have only been about $10/night more.

FOr thoose of us that are complete noobs, could you mark where the park :magnify: entrance is, so we can better judge what side we need to be on

My girlfriend and I recently returned from a September trip to the US from Australia. We had an initial 5-night stay in the Howard Johnson, and due to a change of plans (i.e. we were originally mapped to go to New Orleans, which we didn't for obvious reasons) we found ourselves back in Anaheim a few days later, after a few nights in Las Vegas. The second time was a 7-night stay in the Radisson Maingate.

Howard Johnson was excellent, although people should be warned that accommodation is 'lodge-style'. That is, the hotel is laid out in a number of two-floor buildings. Wheelchair access seems limited, as there weren't any lifts in our building. This wasn't a problem for us, although lugging our bags up was a bit of a hassle. That said, the room was enormous, with two double beds (we only needed one, but this seems to be a standard in Anaheim). The room really seems to be designed for families, with another single fold-out bed in the huge walk-in closet. The bathroom was adequate with adjustable shower-head. A real plus was an extra sink and mirror outside the bathroom, which meant I could shave while my partner showered. I was surprised that mini-fridges weren't standard in US hotels, but the HoJo had one, pushing it above the line for me.

Getting to Disneyland was a breeze. For able-bodied people, it is only a few minutes walk to the main entrance. On the first afternoon, after a gruelling 13 hour flight and 45 minute shuttle from LAX, it was nice to just pop out to Downtown Disney and not have far to come back.

The Raddisson Maingate is a bit of a misnomer, since the move of the gate to accommodate California Adventure. It still proudly displays the Good Neighbour sign in the lobby. Having just flown in from the Luxor in Las Vegas, it was a step down (I was back on Planet Earth for starters), but the instant plus was that the hotel had a lift, giving it one up on the HoJo. No fridge in the room, but that doesn't seem to be unusual. Two double beds again, and while the room wasn't quite as spacious, it did have room for a lounge chair and a desk. Neighbouring bathrooms can be a bit noisy, and noise from other rooms is often heard. A big plus was that we got a $100 food credit, meaning that the whole time we were there (7 nights) we only spent an extra $16 on food. They deducted $100 off our room-service/restaurant bill at check-out, making it a bargain. Able-bodied people should take less than 10 minutes to walk to Disneyland's gates, which still makes this a very convenient location. The ticket concierge seems to close early in the afternoon, and doesn't open until 7:30am, meaning you may want to nab your Hopper tickets the day before if you want to be first in line for the 8am openings of the park. Also, our room overlooked the back of California Adventure, with a rear view of the Tower of Terror, and an unobstructed view of the fireworks.

Overall, I have very little to complain about, and would probably rate the HoJo above the Radisson, but only just. The proximity to the park and the large/quiet rooms pushed it over the edge, but Radisson does seem to have some better deals and the ease of access will be a plus for many visiting the latter.

I'm a bit confused. Maybe someone can help?

We're staying at a Residence Inn when we come, but I'm not sure where they are located based on that map - I don't see either listed, but they're in the list of hotels above.

Can anyone help? And, if you had to choose one, which Residence Inn would you pick? We're going in late February/early March if that influences your decision. We plan to spend a bit of time dining at the DTD restaurants when we have off-site work obligations, as well as planned visits to the parks on four days.

Hi momof4girls,

Neither Residence Inn is shown in the picture above, but below the picture is a link to a map that shows where both of them are. Personally, I like the layout of the Residence Inn Maingate better, but if you're going to spend most of your time in the parks & little time it doesn't really matter. Some people like Residence Inn Resort area better because of location. It's across the street from Target, and among other hotels.

Excellent to know that there's a Target nearby! :)

We will actually be spending quite a bit of time in our rooms - so you'd recommend Maingate if that's the case?

Shoot - I tried to download the map and it's telling me that it's some strange file type that isn't able to be opened on my computer.

Can someone save it as a PDF?

Momof4girls said:
Shoot - I tried to download the map and it's telling me that it's some strange file type that isn't able to be opened on my computer.

Can someone save it as a PDF?

I have saved it as a pdf, but you don't e-mails enabled.

Send me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail it to you.

:wave: This motel is exactly as you would expect a motel for $60 a night, close to the park, to be. And if I haven't not mentioned it enough, this is a MOTEL, not a HOTEL!! Don't expect 5 stars service from any MOTEL.

I consider MOTELS a place to clean up and crash for the night. Nothing more.

With that said, on with my review. :dance3:

I stayed at this motel October 6 - October 9, 2006.

The place was clean.

Beds were comfy. (Some people may find the beds a bit to soft)

Air conditioning units could be loud if turned up all the way. However they did work well. (I like the room freezing when I sleep)

Hot water in showers was fine, pressure a little low, but not a problem. Shower nozzle a bit low for me (I'm 6' and I think the nozzle are at 5'6")

Hot water to the sinks did take a bit of time to warm up, but were fine once the hot water got there.

Staff was friendly.

Check in was listed at 3:00 PM, but was able to check in when we got there at 2:00PM.

Walk to the gates at the park - Approx 7 minutes.

I would recommend this motel to anyone looking for somewhere close, clean and not very expensive.

I did have a "family suite". This is basically two rooms with a connector door.

Both rooms had color TV sets. Plenty of channels to choose from. (For those who need a tv on to sleep .. I know you are out there!! LOL )

One room had a Refrig and Microwave oven. The other room did not. The refrigerator and microwave were clean, and worked very well!!

If you are getting a regular room, I think you may have to request a Refrig and/or microwave be put in the room.

Also some rooms do have Patios/Balconies, the room I had did not. I believe this is something that you have to request as well when making a reservation.

The property did have a rather good size pool and hot tub. However, I did not use these while there, and can not comment on them.

Also, I noticed the place had a coin-op laundry room. Again, I did not use it, so can not give any futher comments on it.

Hi MaryJo
We are planning a Thanksgiving 2008 DL vacation and am looking ahead
to hotels and such. How current is this pic? I tried the link to good neighbor hotel maps but nothing came up. We want to be very close to park. Our two kids will be 5.5 princess: and 3.5 :cool2: and want to be close. Any suggestions?
Is it better to stay on prop or off? DLR vs Anaheim Quality Inn and Suites? We only want one nite, staying the week in Palm Desert with extended family.

Thanks for any help

Hi. I just saw some recs you gave Lulu's mom on 10/12
If I just dig a little more I think I can find some info, no need to reply. I am so new to the DIS......and chatting
thanks

I do need to update the information I have on this thread, so will try & do it this weekend. :)

It's up in the FAQS stickies at the top. I need to update that whole thread & the links. LoL....

Well, I was looking for something to do. :p

I have a question... Is there a pathway from Harbor Blvd to the ticket center or do all the folks from the hotels on harbor have to walk around DCA to get in..

Dumb question I know...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter