‘The Lion King’ Follow-Up in the Works With Director Barry Jenkins

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/lion-king-sequel-director-barry-jenkins-1234786355/
Disney is returning to the Pride Lands for a follow-up to “The Lion King.” Barry Jenkins, the filmmaker behind “Moonlight” and “If Beale Street Could Talk,” will direct the sequel to the beloved family classic.

“Helping my sister raise two young boys during the 90s, I grew up with these characters,” Jenkins said. “Having the opportunity to work with Disney on expanding this magnificent tale of friendship, love and legacy while furthering my work chronicling the lives and souls of folk within the African diaspora is a dream come true.”

The movie will be a continuation of the studio’s 2019 photorealistic remake, rather than the 1994 cartoon. Jon Favreau directed the recent reboot to mixed reviews but massive box office receipts; it generated over $1.5 billion at the global box office.

Disney hasn’t announced a release date for the sequel. With COVID-19 and Jenkins’ busy schedule, it’s also unclear when the special-effects heavy production will start. Sources say the new movie will partly focus on the early years of Mufasa, the regal father of Simba whose death forms the emotional heart of the first film and its remake. Jeff Nathanson, who wrote the screenplay for the 2019 movie, is returning to write the follow-up.

Oh no. Can't they just let sleeping lions be? We don't need anymore Lion King or other over-sequeled films.

Oh no. Can't they just let sleeping lions be? We don't need anymore Lion King or other over-sequeled films.
Agreed. We already got two sequels, a reboot, and two animated series.

I agree with the thoughts of those here already. I think it'll be meh if I'm being nice. I didn't have good things to say about the 2019 remake because of the general fails in CGI and voice acting/singing. I'm hopeful they can get out the kinks with the faces they had in the 2019 version but I really don't think we're there. Lion King is a favorite of mine right up there with Mulan, so to see these two renditions flop stings..but it was inevitable. The only redeeming factor will be if I get to listen to James Earl Jones' voice for two hours, but if they opt for a new and younger voice I'm not gonna even entertain the thought of viewing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter