“Accidentally” missing your DME to MCO ?

In our experiences with DME and schedule deviations from what is given for flight times; we have always just been up front with Disney. We have had no issues with requests to change our times, and it's not worth it to jump through a bunch of hoops just to get what you want. We usually talk to the front desk a day before, and they talk to DME for the available times.

Regarding the ID thing, you can get on a US domestic flight without ID. You will have to go through extra security, but it's not uncommon. Of course, this could present problems on the other side (drinking, renting a car, etc), but if you really don't have time to drive back and get it, it is definitely possible to get on a flight without ID.

I can't imagine its common. I can see certain exceptions being even harder with the new ID requirements going in to place next October. I also can't see it being quick to get through all the additional screening. If you got to the airport an hour before your flight I wouldn't bet on making that flight.

I cut getting to the airport extremely close but only when I am in complete control of arrival. I wouldn't be taking a shared bus service cutting it close. To clarify I also fly a ton so I know what to expect out of the various airports I travel out of. For the one off passenger at MCO you don't know that getting there at 2:35PM is a 5 min wait but 2:50 is a 30 min wait at TSA Precheck because of an influx of 4PM flights with 3:30-3:45 boarding times.

Regarding the ID thing, you can get on a US domestic flight without ID. You will have to go through extra security, but it's not uncommon. Of course, this could present problems on the other side (drinking, renting a car, etc), but if you really don't have time to drive back and get it, it is definitely possible to get on a flight without ID.

My 18 year old niece forgot her ID when she flew with her dad last year. Said she had to answer a ton of questions, and had additional screening. Flying home (with a bunch of us) her dad asked an agent who was right near security but not doing any screening if it would be a problem. He told us to have her lie and say she was 17. Which is what we did. No additional screening, just right on thru as normal.

Are there questions asked if you use dme upon arrival -but not on your return?
Eg-using Uber to return to mco.

I wouldn't take that chance. The last time we were taking DME the bus was overfull and the driver rechecked everyone's paper. Then he had to call a cab for a family of 4 who had no seats. So I guess there's no guarantee that you even get on the bus you're scheduled for.

People complaining about an early pick up time are looking at it the wrong way. The relevant question isn't what time you're picked up, the relevant question is what time you get to the airport.
I understand what you're saying, but as the person who would be using the service, the pickup time for Magical Express really is the only relevant variable. I know with almost complete certainty that an Uber from Disney property to the airport takes roughly 30 minutes. (Yes, traffic could slow things down, but outside of certain times of the day, traffic on this route so severe that it has a major impact isn't typical.)

The point is, I know what time I have to leave Disney property in an Uber to comfortably make my flight. If the scheduled Magical Express pickup time is considerably earlier, which it usually is, that's time taken out of my vacation.

I understand what you're saying, but as the person who would be using the service, the pickup time for Magical Express really is the only relevant variable. I know with almost complete certainty that an Uber from Disney property to the airport takes roughly 30 minutes. (Yes, traffic could slow things down, but outside of certain times of the day, traffic on this route so severe that it has a major impact isn't typical.)

The point is, I know what time I have to leave Disney property in an Uber to comfortably make my flight. If the scheduled Magical Express pickup time is considerably earlier, which it usually is, that's time taken out of my vacation.

Then take an Uber.

Which is 100% fine. Not fine is planning to miss one's assigned DME bus and expecting to get on a later one.
Completely agree. If you're not willing to pay for the privilege of leaving later, accept your Magic Express time.

I've said this many times, but just about every decision at Disney World comes down to whether you value your time or your money. You usually have to choose, and there is no wrong answer.

Completely agree. If you're not willing to pay for the privilege of leaving later, accept your Magic Express time.

I've said this many times, but just about every decision at Disney World comes down to whether you value your time or your money. You usually have to choose, and there is no wrong answer.
Very well said. I think it's amazing how everyone gripes about WDW "nickel and diming" you, but then when given access to a free service, complain about that service. It's simple, if you want free, you make do with their restrictions. If you want to use your timing, then pay for it (ride share/cab/car service). Seems pretty simple to me.

Very well said. I think it's amazing how everyone gripes about WDW "nickel and diming" you, but then when given access to a free service, complain about that service. It's simple, if you want free, you make do with their restrictions. If you want to use your timing, then pay for it (ride share/cab/car service). Seems pretty simple to me.
Yep. The exact same can be said about, say, renting a car versus relying on Disney buses to get around property. In just about every case, driving yourself will be faster. It also costs money. We all have to decide what we value and what fits in our budget.

We've used ME twice, and both times leaving as early as we did actually helped us. First trip, for some reason they couldn't check our bags at the resort, which really isn't a big deal. However, we were the first stop and it seemed like we made more stops than usual on the way to the airport. When we got there the Southwest check in line was huge, so they were directing people downstairs to another check in desk. By the time we got done with our luggage, and through security we had about 10 minutes before we started boarding.

The second time we checked everything in fine, and actually took a bus about 20 minutes before our scheduled one (we were there waiting and the guy said he had room if we wanted to go so we did). Got to the airport and stood in the longer than usual security line, only to get to the front to be told that 2 of our 5 boarding passes wouldn't scan. The agent said you must be coming from Disney, and when we said yes he said they sometimes have trouble with the board passes from the airline checkin desks at disney. So to the kiosk to print new boarding passes, then back in the long security line. This time we did have a little more time, maybe around a half hour before boarding once we got through, but if we wouldn't have taken that earlier bus it would've been much closer.

I know my experiences aren't common, but things do come up and happen. I'm not trying to encourage people to take the earlier buses if they don't want, just telling my experiences. I'm the type of person that gets somewhere right when I'm supposed to, but I don't like taking chances with flying, especially after these experiences. Don't want to deal with the potential hassle of having to change flights because of a missed flight.

I have missed my DME flight several times - most of them the early, crack of dawn pickups when I didn't give myself enough time to get ready. I would say it's 50/50 on getting a spot on the next bus. I also use a faux flight on the return flight when I'm not flying back on a participating airline. I have precheck and only need enough time to get chick-fila and to the gate so I pick a flight 45 minutes earlier than the one I'm really on to save wasting time at MCO. If I'm travelling on Delta, however, I'll use airline checkin at the resort and go on DME because I can relax in the sky lounge.

I have missed my DME flight several times - most of them the early, crack of dawn pickups when I didn't give myself enough time to get ready. I would say it's 50/50 on getting a spot on the next bus.
The flight as well as the bus? How did your airline treat you?

I also use a faux flight on the return flight when I'm not flying back on a participating airline.

Anybody flying any airline can use DME. No need to make a faux reservation for the bus. The participating airlines only come in to play for the Resort Airline Check In for use of checking bags and getting your boarding passes printed out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter