“Escape to Walt’s Wilderness” tour allows guests on Discovery Island

Magnetic

Mouseketeer
I just got this Disney newsletter advertising new tours and adventures, but one specifically caught my eye -- "Escape to Walt's Wilderness" will allow guests back on Discovery Island for the first time since what, 1999?

If your tastes cater more into exploring Disney history, then look to “Escape to Walt’s Wilderness” for an inside glance at what it was that convinced Walt Disney to build Walt Disney World in Central Florida. This guided tour will first whisk you away via pontoons on Bay Lake to explore the landing of Discovery Island and end at the shore of at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. From there, enjoy a delicious breakfast and travel by horse-drawn wagon to the horse barn to meet the celebrity horses you’ve seen in our Theme Parks and finishing the trip with trying your hand at archery. Enjoy this new offering before the general public with exclusive dates for Members and Guests:

- When: Available 2 days a week beginning at 8 am
- Tours last four hours
- Who: Guests ages 7+
- Where: Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground
- Disney Vacation Club Member Dates: July 15 and 16, 2015
- Cost: $109 (plus tax) for all Guests
- Make Reservations Beginning: June 26, 2015

Reservations for both experiences can be made by calling Member Services at (800) 800-9800.

We were just in Disney last month. What I wouldn't have given for a chance to visit DI again -- in any condition. I have so many childhood memories of visiting there.

That definitely sounds like a tour I would be interested in! I hope they open it to the public shortly after the preview. I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews from all of you DVC members!

"explore the landing at Discovery Island" I wonder what that means exactly?

Whatever it is, this looks interesting. I'm looking forward to reviews!

I was wondering what that meant also. It doesn't sound like 'explore Discovery Island' to me! I was never there, so have no memories. This tour does not appeal to me.

I assume it means that you don't get to explore on any of the paths and instead you stand on the dock for a few minutes before moving on.

That definitely sounds like a tour I would be interested in! I hope they open it to the public shortly after the preview. I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews from all of you DVC members!
Looks like a 2 day preview and I would expect it to then be open to anyone. A preview like that enables Disney to promote that special benefits are available to DVC folks, just like they do with AP folks now and then.

I assume it means that you don't get to explore on any of the paths and instead you stand on the dock for a few minutes before moving on.

That's what I thought - standing on the dock and landing area. If they mean that the boats are going to just go -near- the landing, then I completely misunderstood this (and would likely not take the tour -- we've gone right up to that dock when we've rented Sea Raycers for a look at DI.)

For those who said they never got to visit Discovery Island, here's some footage shot arriving at the landing, then with the animals on the island (this is from the "Campout at Walt Disney World" sing-a-long video) -- jump to the 7:25 mark. You can see footage of the shipwrecked pirate ship on the island a bit later too.

Bonus River country footage at 13:19 :)

Edit: Here's a home video of the animals on the island:

Last edited:
To allow anyone back on the dock or especially the inside of the island would require Disney to undo 14+ years of wear and tear by Mother Nature. It's a huge liability risk if they don't so unless someone hears anything about a "refurb" of sorts. I doubt this tour will let you set foot on the Island proper.

I'll wait for reviews but if it's only looking at the dock area then I'll pass. Disney could clear some of the paths and allow at least part of the island to be a park but they probably won't.

Good point about not actually getting off the boat, however I read the information to my DH and he is really excited about this tour. He wants to wait and see what the reviews will be like before booking it (we will be there in October). He remembers going to DI as a kid and loved it there and has often said that if he ever won the lottery he would buy that land off of Disney and build a home there (talk about huge dreams :rotfl:).

If they open it up for Tuesdays, I will be trying to book the Walt's Wilderness one for my October trip - I'm only going to be there for two nights, and I was looking for a tour to do before my late afternoon flight on Tuesday.

If they open it up for Tuesdays, I will be trying to book the Walt's Wilderness one for my October trip - I'm only going to be there for two nights, and I was looking for a tour to do before my late afternoon flight on Tuesday.

I am October as well. Tuesday I did not get a park ticket because I'm doing MNSSHP. A non park tour would use up that morning well.

I agree that getting off on the island would be risky. But my thoughts (and I love the idea of this tour), is that the participants gathering at Fort Wilderness (now, there is a great idea as well - getting folks to enjoy Fort Wilderness too but on their own), then getting them on a boat and to hear the story of how, way back when, Walt Disney saw Discovery Island and thought the area would be good for what is now known as Disney World. Yes, that one island. I don't think it's going to be a straight boat ride to the island, a look around and then back. I think it's going to be more of a *gasp* history lesson. On the way back, maybe even an explanation of how Bay Lake was formed, etc.

It really is an interesting lesson on how one island led to everything today.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!