“It’s for your safety.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this issue seems to have hands wringing as passionately as the dog issue did, please take a moment to send an email to all the appropriate places voicing your displeasure about it. Those are:

WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com
And cc these folks too:
Robert.a.iger@disney.com
Robert.Chapek@disney.com
George.Kalogridis@disney.com

I am actually going to send one myself. I may not have a problem with the "intrusion" but once again, the ham fisted way they roll things out with no consistency in implementation amongst the CM's needs to be brought to their attention.
I missed the dog DIScussion. Can I bring my dog? What about my cat? ;)

I expect Disney will refine and fine tune the room check policy over time, but in the meantime as we've already read here on this thread, some guests are experiencing less than magical experiences due to the policy. That said, I don't think Disney dreamed this up simply to annoy guests, so it probably isn't going away. As a Disney resort guest, I'd rather spend my time thinking of ways to accommodate the room check policy with a minimal impact to my vacation rather than coming up with ways to blow it up into a major confrontation and time suck. But that's just me, YMMV.
This is what is expected of paying guests...jump through more hoops. Doesn't matter how high or ridiculous.

I expect Disney will refine and fine tune the room check policy over time, but in the meantime as we've already read here on this thread, some guests are experiencing less than magical experiences due to the policy. That said, I don't think Disney dreamed this up simply to annoy guests, so it probably isn't going away. As a Disney resort guest, I'd rather spend my time thinking of ways to accommodate the room check policy with a minimal impact to my vacation rather than coming up with ways to blow it up into a major confrontation and time suck. But that's just me, YMMV.
Logic being brought in to the conversation. Imagine that. I think some have forgotten it exists (much like Disney with this policy)

Since this issue seems to have hands wringing as passionately as the dog issue did, please take a moment to send an email to all the appropriate places voicing your displeasure about it. Those are:

WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com
And cc these folks too:
Robert.a.iger@disney.com
Robert.Chapek@disney.com
George.Kalogridis@disney.com

I am actually going to send one myself. I may not have a problem with the "intrusion" but once again, the ham fisted way they roll things out with no consistency in implementation amongst the CM's needs to be brought to their attention.
I wonder though, is it appropriate to complain about a policy if you haven't been impacted by it yet? I mean, say you have a stay 6 months from now, is it even of any use or benefit to write them to complain about the policy today? What does it matter to you (not addressing this to you specifically, but the collective you)? Someone there now, without a doubt. Someone going in the next or two, yes. But others? Honestly, if I was any of those above and I got a letter from someone who wasn't directly impacted I'm not sure it would carry any weight at all. I mean, how would you have any knowledge of the policy and how it's working if you haven't been yet? If that makes sense? I sort of think of including something in a letter that "I heard or I read" the same as hearsay in court, it carries little weight and more or less just gets thrown out. By the time your trip comes it could be completely different, eliminated, who knows. I'm not going till March. I'll wait to see what how the policy is working closer to my trip and then make a decision on whether or not I need to write, to make sure my letter carries the most weight. Or am I missing something?

I wonder though, is it appropriate to complain about a policy if you haven't been impacted by it yet? I mean, say you have a stay 6 months from now, is it even of any use or benefit to write them to complain about the policy today? What does it matter to you (not addressing this to you specifically, but the collective you)? Someone there now, without a doubt. Someone going in the next or two, yes. But others? Honestly, if I was any of those above and I got a letter from someone who wasn't directly impacted I'm not sure it would carry any weight at all. I mean, how would you have any knowledge of the policy and how it's working if you haven't been yet? If that makes sense? I sort of think of including something in a letter that "I heard or I read" the same as hearsay in court, it carries little weight and more or less just gets thrown out. By the time your trip comes it could be completely different, eliminated, who knows. I'm not going till March. I'll wait to see what how the policy is working closer to my trip and then make a decision on whether or not I need to write, to make sure my letter carries the most weight. Or am I missing something?
I'd say it's just like the dog policy or any new policies. Perhaps complain will be different for someone not yet completely impacted by the policy but absolutely you should be able to feel free to contact the company with your concerns with the policy.

Honestly I'm even wondering if Disney would have gotten an FAQ out on the dog policy if it hadn't been for people contacting Disney about it--this all before it was really impacting anyone; Disney may not have any idea as sad as it sounds what their customers have issues with unless people discuss that with them.

But as with the dog policy and this policy the mere implementation of the type of policy may cause someone to go offsite or to a non-Disney owned on-property hotel and I think they should be able to discuss that personal decision with Disney.

But to the point about being impacted..it's the same literally for everything. What was the policy for one person's trip may not be the policy for their next and how something was handled one trip may be completely different the next trip. But that simple fact doesn't mean they should shun away from reaching out to Disney should they decide to do so.

I do look at the dog policy issue as different. I can see where someone not affected by a trip yet would reach out to express their opinion (especially if they dislike it) because a dog at a resort is a dog at a resort. You don't need to be there first hand to know what your opinion would be to stay at a resort with a dog in it. If you have an allergy to a dog, as an example, I can see where you would want to write to them to say "I love to stay at X resort but now, thanks to your implementing of this policy, I am no longer able to stay at this resort due to my allergy"
But with this one, what do you write? I've heard that people are barging in on guests who don't have housekeeping and interrupting their nap?

Warning- this is long, and it’s dealing with the new “security measure” in place.

I am staying at the Grand Floridian in the main building. I came back from the AK about 2 hours ago because I had a headache (my family stayed at the park.) I returned to my room and saw the housekeeping cart a couple of doors down. I noted my room had not been made up, so I went in search of the housekeeper. I said I was going to rest and did not need service; the housekeeper ascertained my room number, double-checked my need for towels/toiletries etc., and wished me well. I went to my room, bolted and dead-locked the door, undressed and got in bed.

I awoke to someone tapping on my door. I figured it must be next door since I had declined housekeeping. I nodded back off. A short while later I had a more insistent knocking and a voice saying “housekeeping.” I jumped out of bed, dressed, (all the while, someone is knocking insistently on my door), and was saying, “hold on” and “just a moment.” The knocking became MORE insistent in spite of my answering. When I opened the door there was a man there asking if everything was okay. I was still in a haze from having been sleeping and thanked him, but told him I did not need housekeeping and I had already told the housekeeper I would be napping. I was told he was sent from the main office (???) to inspect my room for security reasons. I must have looked at him like he had two heads because he said “I’m allowed in the room.” Now, two things - I am a woman in the room by myself with a stranger at the door telling me he was allowed in, and I had the door wide open and he could see all the way into the room. The man then told me it was for my security (again, ???) and walked by me into the room!!! He began asking if my lights worked (???) and if I needed anything. He never looked in the closet, looked in the bathroom, looked in the sink area, or looked under the desk. Essentially, if he was there for security, he did a fairly sucktastic job.

Now, I have many problems with the whole situation. I am furious as this was invasive and worthless. I am horrified as I was completely naked in my hotel room seconds before this man entered. I am terrified because I have three daughters who are old enough to be in and out of the room on their own and what if one of them had been in here instead of me.

I am a huge Disney fan, but this is over the line. Yes, Disney has the right to come in the room, and I understand that. That said, my behavior (and that of my party) has not been unusual, we are in the main building so we’re in continuous contact with staff, AND I made the housekeeping staff aware of my issue. I do intend to complain, and while I won’t say “I’ll never stay at Disney again,” I will be honest and say that I am completely shaken and don’t feel comfortable in my hotel room at this point - and that is unacceptable.

For those here or coming down, take the warning seriously; do your best to have two people in the room at all times.
I can certainly understand your frustration and concern for you and your daughters security because I have the same concerns with this new policy. I do not answer the door to strangers in my home, so why would I answer the door when I don't want to be disturbed or if I am alone in a hotel room? Unfortunately, I believe that this policy could lends itself to predators who might pretend to be security who may follow either a woman or a child when they are walking in a hall. I have always been accustomed to double bolting hotel rooms when I am in the room. Here is the question, if there is a knock at the door saying "housekeeping" and the guest does not answer, does housekeeping have a way to enter through the deadbolt? Sorry if this question seem ridiculous, but I plan to not respond if I am alone in a double lock deadbolted door. What will be the next step that housekeeping will do if a guest doesn't answer and the door is deadbolted?:confused: I am more than happy during the time that we are not occupying the room which is most of the day, for housekeeping to do a security check. THANKS for any guidance that you can provide.:wave2:

I do look at the dog policy issue as different. I can see where someone not affected by a trip yet would reach out to express their opinion (especially if they dislike it) because a dog at a resort is a dog at a resort. You don't need to be there first hand to know what your opinion would be to stay at a resort with a dog in it. If you have an allergy to a dog, as an example, I can see where you would want to write to them to say "I love to stay at X resort but now, thanks to your implementing of this policy, I am no longer able to stay at this resort due to my allergy"
But with this one, what do you write? I've heard that people are barging in on guests who don't have housekeeping and interrupting their nap?
I suppose that's a difference of opinion on what you consider an issue or not--but that's a personal thing.

When you look at it in a basic way it's the same thing: New policy=concerns and questions=totally ok to reach out to Disney.

I don't advocate over the top highly emotional e-mails/letters/etc to Disney as level-headed ones would probably go over better but I do advocate a person sharing their concerns.

Here is the question, if there is a knock at the door saying "housekeeping" and the guest does not answer, does housekeeping have a way to enter through the deadbolt? Sorry if this question seem ridiculous, but I plan to not respond if I am alone in a double lock deadbolted door. What will be the next step that housekeeping will do if a guest doesn't answer and the door is deadbolted?:confused: I am more than happy during the time that we are not occupying the room which is most of the day, for housekeeping to do a security check. THANKS for any guidance that you can provide.:wave2:
Yes, Housekeeping can get past the flip bolt on the door. They have a tool for it. I do not know if the person doing the check will carry this tool or not. If it's the manager, I suspect they may well carry it. When the Housekeeper actually caused the flip bolt to fall across our door, locking us OUT of our room, we had to get a manager there to open it. The regular housekeeper was not able to do it

I'd say it's just like the dog policy or any new policies. Perhaps complain will be different for someone not yet completely impacted by the policy but absolutely you should be able to feel free to contact the company with your concerns with the policy.

Honestly I'm even wondering if Disney would have gotten an FAQ out on the dog policy if it hadn't been for people contacting Disney about it--this all before it was really impacting anyone; Disney may not have any idea as sad as it sounds what their customers have issues with unless people discuss that with them.

But as with the dog policy and this policy the mere implementation of the type of policy may cause someone to go offsite or to a non-Disney owned on-property hotel and I think they should be able to discuss that personal decision with Disney.

But to the point about being impacted..it's the same literally for everything. What was the policy for one person's trip may not be the policy for their next and how something was handled one trip may be completely different the next trip. But that simple fact doesn't mean they should shun away from reaching out to Disney should they decide to do so.
I agree. Not only should we email Disney, we should do it in large numbers so that we can exact change. If we don’t speak up, it’s as if we are okay with this ludicrous policy when we are actually against it. I, for one, will not be silenced.

I suppose that's a difference of opinion on what you consider an issue or not--but that's a personal thing.

When you look at it in a basic way it's the same thing: New policy=concerns and questions=totally ok to reach out to Disney.

I don't advocate over the top highly emotional e-mails/letters/etc to Disney as level-headed ones would probably go over better but I do advocate a person sharing their concerns.
Thank you.

My only point was I hope they actually take letters from someone who has never stayed on site since the change seriously. I wish I felt they would but I honestly don't. The ones I hope write are those who have stayed and I hope they will share their experiences so they can be used to develop a working policy. That is where the most good will come. There's a way to make this work, I'm sure.

My only point was I hope they actually take letters from someone who has never stayed on site since the change seriously. I wish I felt they would but I honestly don't. The ones I hope write are those who have stayed and I hope they will share their experiences so they can be used to develop a working policy. That is where the most good will come. There's a way to make this work, I'm sure.
Oh I do agree on taking things seriously on Disney's part but that's out of everyone's hands..even one's shared where the person had an actual experience there it's still on Disney if they take it seriously. Again I don't I don't advocate over the top highly emotional e-mails/letters/etc to Disney as level-headed ones would probably go over better.

One important point I can make from experience is the difficulty we had last time with housekeeping coming at the most inconvenient times. We repeatedly requested morning (before 1:00 pm) housekeeping, and they always came when we were napping or showering. We didn’t get our room cleaned often enough and never had enough toilet paper and towels.
So, if I bring up my concerns from that point of view based on my previous experience, perhaps they would pay attention. If we missed out on housekeeping several times on our last trip because housekeeping couldn’t come while we were gone, how will this new policy affect us? How often will we be disturbed? Will this ruin our romantic 25th Anniversary vacation?
I will be very disappointed if they don’t take my concerns seriously. It would leave a bad taste in my mouth. It would definitely affect future plans for my daughter’s wedding and honeymoon in Disney. They’d be losing a lot of money from my family if we felt disillusioned by WDW.

As I mentioned in a previous post - when Disney reached out to me this week in response to my email (wanting more information on what happened during my stay) they were clear - they know they do not have this right yet, and they are actively seeking feedback from people so that they can get this right. The guy said to me that it is only through hearing about what went both right and wrong with guest experiences that they can fine tune this policy in a way that meets Disney's needs and still provides the guest a magical experience. For me, being dragged out of bed to answer incessant pounding on the door post-marathon was not particularly magical, so I took the time to tell them that in person at the resort, and then followed up with guest services in writing a few days later, after the dust had settled and I could be more factual and less cranky-pants about the whole thing. I would strongly encourage everyone else that has feedback on the policy - at any end of the scale (good or bad - as good experiences reinforce what DOES work), to do the same. It will improve future stays for yourselves and others.

Using your logic, Disney should not conduct the checks at all. Nothing has happened yet, so why make it an issue now?

I think the checks are absolutely asinine. What happened to the security guard in Vegas? Security checks simply don't work.

I didn’t know they published an in detail timeline of when he set everything up. Most recent thing I read was he spent majority of the day in his room on 9/29 and then brought four more suitcases to his room on 9/30. There were cameras in his room as well as the hallway.
He had 18 suitcases in his room by 9/30. Is that normal?

Detailed timeline is in the report Las Vegas PD released via their website: https://www.lvmpd.com/en-us/Documents/1_October_FIT_Report_01-18-2018_Footnoted.pdf

You’re missing giving yourself high blood pressure over something that may never happen to you.

Using your logic, Disney should not conduct the checks at all. Nothing has happened yet, so why make it an issue now?

I think the checks are absolutely asinine. What happened to the security guard in Vegas? Security checks simply don't work.
I haven't a clue how you jumped to that conclusion based on my post. There are thousands of precautions taken all over that are based on potential for harm. Following your logic no one had been killed on a given ride so does that mean we shouldn't use safety precautions?

The policy isn't asinine but the way they are currently doing it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter