“It’s for your safety.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can control being overweight.
And that has a bearing on the point of this discussion how? A poster said I'm saving myself from high blood pressure by not getting worked up until I'm directly impacted. I said that is what I always do. So your point is?

I haven't a clue how you jumped to that conclusion based on my post. There are thousands of precautions taken all over that are based on potential for harm. Following your logic no one had been killed on a given ride so does that mean we shouldn't use safety precautions?

The policy isn't asinine but the way they are currently doing it is

There is a HUGE difference between saying that a ride has the potential for injury so we need safety precautions that make sense (like safety belts and size limits and age limits) and some lone wacko in a completely different hotel situation killed people so we need asinine safety precautions (like peeking into a room to disturb people but not actually see anything that could be dangerous) that aren’t actually going to prevent anything.

One important point I can make from experience is the difficulty we had last time with housekeeping coming at the most inconvenient times. We repeatedly requested morning (before 1:00 pm) housekeeping, and they always came when we were napping or showering. We didn’t get our room cleaned often enough and never had enough toilet paper and towels.
So, if I bring up my concerns from that point of view based on my previous experience, perhaps they would pay attention. If we missed out on housekeeping several times on our last trip because housekeeping couldn’t come while we were gone, how will this new policy affect us? How often will we be disturbed? Will this ruin our romantic 25th Anniversary vacation?
I will be very disappointed if they don’t take my concerns seriously. It would leave a bad taste in my mouth. It would definitely affect future plans for my daughter’s wedding and honeymoon in Disney. They’d be losing a lot of money from my family if we felt disillusioned by WDW.
I think that would be a very good way to address it if they haven't made any changes before your next trip. If your trip is 6 months away, it may be something that is fully resolved well before your trip

There is a HUGE difference between saying that a ride has the potential for injury so we need safety precautions that make sense (like safety belts and size limits and age limits) and some lone wacko in a completely different hotel situation killed people so we need asinine safety precautions (like peeking into a room to disturb people but not actually see anything that could be dangerous) that aren’t actually going to prevent anything.

Exactly. Case in point:

1) When is the last time someone tried to light his shoe on fire on an airplane (yet we still take our shoes off at the airport)
2) When is the last time someone tried to fly a plane into a building?
3) When is the last time a van was left in a federal building with explosives?
4) When is the last time someone bombed a marathon with a backpack?
5) When is the last time someone tried to light his underwear on fire on a plane (yet we still have to take our underwear off at the airport)...is that just me?

Security measures don't work. Reactive security is even more ineffective. The only thing that works is counter measures produced by authentic and verified counter-intelligence which Disney security does not have.

Disney doesn't think so. Since they own the property they do get to make the rules. What we're can hope is they figure out a better way to implement them. Telling them problems with the way it was done, like PP did is the way to get it to happen

As someone who logically said, they didn't sit around and say "how can we most annoy our guests?" And just start this to annoy. They had an idea but not a good way to do it. I doubt it's going to stop so now it's a matter of getting a way to make it work and not be disruptive

Nice shot at Angie. Hope you're proud of yourself. Oh, and another thing - you can control putting yourself "in inherent danger at a Disney resort because of these new security checks". How? Don't stay at a Disney resort.

Between all of the people swearing off Disney because of the new dog policy, security checks, Disney neighbor hotels now getting 60 day FP ability, rising prices, $5 charges for grocery delivery, and an supposed overall decrease in customer service, etc etc etc, there should be plenty of availability at resorts when we want to go.

I'll be at the Disney resorts not because I'm safer that someone barges in on an unsuspecting and potentially vulnerable guest, but because I don't fear life for fear's sake.

Detailed timeline is in the report Las Vegas PD released via their website: https://www.lvmpd.com/en-us/Documents/1_October_FIT_Report_01-18-2018_Footnoted.pdf
Thank you. I saw this general timeline published elsewhere but in less detail.
Exactly. Case in point:

1) When is the last time someone tried to light his shoe on fire on an airplane (yet we still take our shoes off at the airport)
5) When is the last time someone tried to light his underwear on fire on a plane (yet we still have to take our underwear off at the airport)...is that just me?

Security measures don't work. Reactive security is even more ineffective. The only thing that works is counter measures produced by authentic and verified counter-intelligence which Disney security does not have.
This comment lost me on so many levels.

Would the new policy make sense if Disney uncovered a large cache of ammo on property? Disney has significantly increased the security budget for 2018 for a reason. I would bet the reason isn’t to drive paying customers away.

I am having a problem with Disney encouraging people to skip housekeeping by offering money for doing so & then forcing "security checks" because you took take them up on their offer. Why set people up like that? If management wants eyes in the room every day, just make housekeeping mandatory.

I totally disagree with the comment that you should not contact Disney about this procedure if your stay is not soon. I want to make an informed decision when I am spending my money. So, yea, if I have questions about how something is being handled, I have every right to ask questions or make my concerns heard. I'm going to spend thousands of dollars & months planning a trip then at the last minute have to decide if I like the company's policies or not? Why should I not try to get answers ahead of time? Or make the company know I may or may not patronize them because of their policies? Most businesses, including Disney, want customer feedback. I'm sure they would rather know their customers are not happy before they lose them.

I can't wait for this new policy to make the news. I'd like to see NBC (owners of Universal) do this story. Especially if they pair it with security & legal experts & get their opinions. And I have no doubt it will make the news before too long. Especially the way it is being carried out. Will just take one incident like the OP's & one person looking for their 15 minutes of fame.

I am having a problem with Disney encouraging people to skip housekeeping by offering money for doing so & then forcing "security checks" because you took take them up on their offer. Why set people up like that? If management wants eyes in the room every day, just make housekeeping mandatory.

I totally disagree with the comment that you should not contact Disney about this procedure if your stay is not soon. I want to make an informed decision when I am spending my money. So, yea, if I have questions about how something is being handled, I have every right to ask questions or make my concerns heard. I'm going to spend thousands of dollars & months planning a trip then at the last minute have to decide if I like the company's policies or not? Why should I not try to get answers ahead of time? Or make the company know I may or may not patronize them because of their policies? Most businesses, including Disney, want customer feedback. I'm sure they would rather know their customers are not happy before they lose them.

I can't wait for this new policy to make the news. I'd like to see NBC (owners of Universal) do this story. Especially if they pair it with security & legal experts & get their opinions. And I have no doubt it will make the news before too long. Especially the way it is being carried out. Will just take one incident like the OP's & one person looking for their 15 minutes of fame.

I was confused by this part too...at first. It costs more, I suppose, for a housekeeper to go through the room cleaning and replacing towels and toiletries than it does for security (or whomever) to open the door, walk through the room and walk out. So opting out of housekeeping means just that...you don't want your room cleaned. Many people did that because they didn't want anyone in their room at all (that, BTW, is us. We always left our DND sign up and as far as I could tell never got the room cleaned. We are DVC and historically didn't get mousekeeping anyway for our short trips). But with the new policy, they need eyes in the room daily so even if you forego the cleaning, they're still going to send someone up to knock and look. And for Disney, it's still cheaper than a daily full cleaning.

I guess.

Maybe they can't have their cake and eat it too. Either save money by letting people opt out of housekeeping and dump the security or make daily housekeeping mandatory and suck up the cost Disney.

Exactly. Case in point:

You are a 19 year old kid. Come back in a few decades when you have some true experience

I was confused by this part too...at first. It costs more, I suppose, for a housekeeper to go through the room cleaning and replacing towels and toiletries than it does for security (or whomever) to open the door, walk through the room and walk out. So opting out of housekeeping means just that...you don't want your room cleaned. Many people did that because they didn't want anyone in their room at all (that, BTW, is us. We always left our DND sign up and as far as I could tell never got the room cleaned. We are DVC and historically didn't get mousekeeping anyway for our short trips). But with the new policy, they need eyes in the room daily so even if you forego the cleaning, they're still going to send someone up to knock and look. And for Disney, it's still cheaper than a daily full cleaning.

I guess.

Maybe they can't have their cake and eat it too. Either save money by letting people opt out of housekeeping and dump the security or make daily housekeeping mandatory and suck up the cost Disney.

Yep, I get the difference in what it costs to do a full cleaning vs. a 30 second walk thru. My point is, if you want eyes in the room every day, don't lead customers to believe they can opt out. Maybe offer them housekeeping (traditional cleaning) or housekeeping lite (towels & trash maybe). Management gets in room, customer has understanding someone will be in the room daily.

The only thing I can guess is the opt out for Housekeeping started before this new policy did. Someone just didn't put the 2 and 2 together about how the opt out was going to impact the security check. Typical left hand not talking to right hand big corporate mess.

Last edited:
The only thing I can guess is the opt out for Housekeeping started before this new policy did. Someone just didn't put the 2 and 2 together about how the opt out was going to impact the security check. Typical left hand not talking to right hand big corporate mess.
I agree but they need to stop doing the $ for bypassing housekeeping. They should have discontinued it the moment they started the new policy.

If they want to check, I really do not care. If me or someone in my family is indecent I will open the door, inform them and tell them to hang on while we get dressed, under the covers etc. If I happen to be alone, I'll let them in but call down and ask to speak to security to verify that person is actually security. I refuse to get upset over someone dong their job. I don't see why this is a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter