“Mass Casualty Scene” in Branson duck boat sinking

That is so sad :( We’ve ridden the Ducks many times in Wisconsin Dells, they always have life vests onboard, but I suppose if it capsized quickly, there wasn’t time to put them on?

That is so sad :( We’ve ridden the Ducks many times in Wisconsin Dells, they always have life vests onboard, but I suppose if it capsized quickly, there wasn’t time to put them on?

I wonder too if the top may have trapped some people. I don’t know how quickly they went from in trouble to capsized, but there were reports of 90 MPH winds.

A friend of mine lost 3 nieces in a boating accident. Heavy winds were whipping up and the girls were moved to the bathroom to try to protect them, but they became trapped when the boat flipped. Everyone else survived.

Well geez that's just terrible.

I've done a few duck tours over the years.

Just saw the local news about it. Looks like they had severe storms (don't know off the top of my head if it was the same line that came through the KC area or not) that came through. Wonder if it raised the water levels rapidly or if the storms had enough force to roll it over.

I just can't even imagine how awful it must have been for those on board.

Tourists on the Branson Belle filmed the incident. This is what we know: There were 2 ducks and a private boat fighting high winds and ~4 foot waves. One of the ducks was making better progress toward shore while the other appeared to be holding in position just trying to keep pointed into the waves, then eventually made a move toward shore. At some point, the nose quit bouncing as it apparently took on water before eventually capsizing. :(

I wonder too if the top may have trapped some people. I don’t know how quickly they went from in trouble to capsized, but there were reports of 90 MPH winds.

A friend of mine lost 3 nieces in a boating accident. Heavy winds were whipping up and the girls were moved to the bathroom to try to protect them, but they became trapped when the boat flipped. Everyone else survived.

My husband said that too, he remembered hearing about a fatal accident with one of the Dells ducks when the passengers got trapped under the roof.

I am so sorry about your friend’s nieces. That breaks my heart

I found this, sounds like the majority of fatalities from previous accidents with the Ducks happened on land, but it does mention the 13 who drowned when trapped under the canopy. http://www.philly.com/philly/business/396220791.html?mobi=true

The one we rode in the Dells this year did have the canopy, and they never suggested even my kids wear life preservers, they did have them up at the front. I never would have thought of that being an issue with the roof. They must sink fast too

Sounds like casualties are up to 11 now? This is just awful. Prayers for those who lost their lives.

11 dead and 5 missing, we are in Springfield just north, the line was moving at 50-60 mph. Have never rode in one, we often joke about it but the incidents over the last decade with them have always make me skeptical, I have no other words :-(

I don't mean to sound like I'm assigning blame, but at what point would it have been better to issue a mayday, have everyone put on life vests and exit the bus/boat? They had to understand that if the vehicle went down it would trap everyone.

That's horrible. So sorry about your friend's nieces.

I don't mean to sound like I'm assigning blame, but at what point would it have been better to issue a mayday, have everyone put on life vests and exit the bus/boat? They had to understand that if the vehicle went down it would trap everyone.

There was only about 20-30 seconds from the point it began to take on water to the point it capsized. But yes, I believe if people could have abandoned the boat with life jackets on, their chances would have been greater.

On the blame front, I saw an account from a boater who claims to have seen at least one duck launching well after the storm sirens went off (and well after they had beat it to land in their own personal boat knowing the storms were coming). It may or may not have been the one that sank. By all accounts, it seems the one that made it to shore was originally behind the one that didn’t.

Very very sad! There have been other accidents/incidents on Duck Boats.Fifth deadly accident since 1999. We were on one in Baltimore many years ago, very fun, but since I read a few years ago about accidents, never again.
This one with 11 fatalities is so sad.:sad2: So sad for the families just trying to enjoy something fun.

13 dead, four missing, two of injured in critical condition, so very sad. The storm came up after the boats were already out. The warnings came 30 min. AFTER the boats launched - was calm when they launched. Summer storms come up fast! Winds of 60+ mph, high waves - oh my, how scary would that have been!

Have been there, but refused to ride the boat, also the amphibious cars at Disney Springs. I'm a scaredy-cat by nature, which doesn't bother me at all.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter