“Refresh” is my new favorite strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I do tend to have good luck as I've previously shown. If I'm not having to scroll I typically average 1 refresh every 2 seconds (30/minute...yes I've timed it multiple times lol). That is the big advantage to grabbing a FP that you want even if it isn't for a time that you want. Then you dont have to scroll when refreshing.

At this point I don't have any AP's connected and it hasn't changed results. The less people the easier. I've noticed a difference between 3 and 4 people.

I'm struggling to understand what you mean by this but I can't play with FP yet ;(

MK has a ton of rides with FP+, so when you go to look for one there is a long list. So you have to scroll down through the list of rides to see what's available. The rides that have a FP+ available show up first, and rides that have no availability are at the very bottom. It's slightly quicker to quickly flick all the way to the bottom of the screen and just see what rides DON'T have FP+ available because that list is usually fairly short. So if you see 7DMT there, you need to hit refresh again. It takes a bit longer to slowly scroll down through the ones that ARE available and try to find 7DMT.

MK has a ton of rides with FP+, so when you go to look for one there is a long list. So you have to scroll down through the list of rides to see what's available. The rides that have a FP+ available show up first, and rides that have no availability are at the very bottom. It's slightly quicker to quickly flick all the way to the bottom of the screen and just see what rides DON'T have FP+ available because that list is usually fairly short. So if you see 7DMT there, you need to hit refresh again. It takes a bit longer to slowly scroll down through the ones that ARE available and try to find 7DMT.

Ah, makes sense! Thanks

I probably can guess the answer to my question but.....

How does this strategy work for 8 people vacationing from 12/17 - 12/27

[

I have no issues and I am not an AP or anything similar.

There is certainly an element of luck involved, as well as an element of persistence. But my best guess is that the biggest difference comes down to technology. If you have the right kind of phone, a good connection, and are searching the right way (for me, the website was sooooo much faster than the app) you will get more bites at the apple. With a system this fluid, being able to see more refreshes per minute is a huge advantage.

I definitely think the tech people are using plays a part in it. I also had much better luck with the app but counterintuitively, it was slower to load. Even with fewer refreshes I had noticably better luck with it. Which is odd.

There is definitely an element of luck, no question. But if it we're just a matter of luck, then I would expect people who don't normally get FP headliners easily posting that they had a great day with multiple headliners in just a few refreshes. And people who normally have great luck posting that it took them over an hour to get everything from time to time. But there seems to be a clear disparity. If it we're just random luck I would think we would all, over time have similar-ish results. But maybe it's also how we talk about it that gives that impression. Maybe some people focus on the good luck they had and others focus on when they don't have good luck. So I suggest trying to quantify it a little bit. I have had about 18 park days where I've refreshed. I've also practiced approximately 10 hours at home. Here is my best guess at what my "luck" with headliners has been. If others are willing to play as well, I think it would be interesting (doesn't prove anything of course because there are a lot of variables, but interesting).

Headliners for this would be the hardest to get rides only: FOP, Navi, 7DMT, FEA, and SDD

Approximate # of times I have gotten a headliner in the following times:

0-20 mins: 1 (FOP and I was shocked)
20-60 mins: ~20 including practicing
Multiple hours: 3 (but I also typically give up well before multiple hours)
Did not get one I was looking for all day: 2

So dumb question - are you pulling down your screen on the smart phone to refresh?

[

I definitely think the tech people are using plays a part in it. I also had much better luck with the app but counterintuitively, it was slower to load. Even with fewer refreshes I had noticably better luck with it. Which is odd.

There is definitely an element of luck, no question. But if it we're just a matter of luck, then I would expect people who don't normally get FP headliners easily posting that they had a great day with multiple headliners in just a few refreshes. And people who normally have great luck posting that it took them over an hour to get everything from time to time. But there seems to be a clear disparity. If it we're just random luck I would think we would all, over time have similar-ish results. But maybe it's also how we talk about it that gives that impression. Maybe some people focus on the good luck they had and others focus on when they don't have good luck. So I suggest trying to quantify it a little bit. I have had about 18 park days where I've refreshed. I've also practiced approximately 10 hours at home. Here is my best guess at what my "luck" with headliners has been. If others are willing to play as well, I think it would be interesting (doesn't prove anything of course because there are a lot of variables, but interesting).

Headliners for this would be the hardest to get rides only: FOP, Navi, 7DMT, FEA, and SDD

Approximate # of times I have gotten a headliner in the following times:

0-20 mins: 1 (FOP and I was shocked)
20-60 mins: ~20 including practicing
Multiple hours: 3 (but I also typically give up well before multiple hours)
Did not get one I was looking for all day: 2

Assuming your numbers reflect getting the headliners for a time you wanted them.

I saw headliners, but usually many hours later when already would have left the park.. So i would pick them with hope of moving it up, but that usually failed so ended up canceling. My headliner refresh for the week was 0, but the only one you listed I was really trying for was Navi.

I had better luck with rides like Soarin and TSMM...and the lower level rides were usually always available, even though would just get them to bypass a 10 minute wait.

Assuming your numbers reflect getting the headliners for a time you wanted them.

I had better luck with rides like Soarin and TSMM...and the lower level rides were usually always available, even though would just get them to bypass a 10 minute wait.

Well, yes and no. That was taking the first available time in almost all cases. I did walk in an FEA last trip. I guess I was lucky I'm that the times that worked and weren't more than an hour or two out (and I didn't bother walking them in while practicing).

I have good luck with TT, Soarin, EE, etc too.

I think this might also be part of the disconnect. "Headliners" means different things to different people, and if people are using the same term but actually meaning different things, that could have a big impact.

There are definitely some rides that I would include under the "headliners" banner that you don't (Soarin', Splash Mountain, Toy Story, RnR for example). Some people might have an even wider definition. Maybe that accounts for some of the discrepancies.

Be careful, Folks. I understand the desire to grab more Fast Passes, but don't miss out on the Disney Magic by staring at your phone all day in hopes of a better ride time.

I get what you're saying, because I've missed lots by having a huge camera in my face all day. BUT...there is nothing "magical" about 60-minute wait lines. I'm imagining that the group can get in line for drinks or snacks while I am holding seating for them and refreshing while I wait. We also have a couple of smokers... another opportunity with nothing else to do anyway. And the whole pre-ride thing in TT drives me nuts...I would happily play with FP instead!! lol

So, I just tried refreshing in the website versus the iOS app (which I’ve always used) and the website was at least twice as fast! Does anyone know if you will stay logged in to MDE if you close browser/lock phone? I’m automatically signed into app which is convenient, but might have to go with website for next trip...

So, I just tried refreshing in the website versus the iOS app (which I’ve always used) and the website was at least twice as fast! Does anyone know if you will stay logged in to MDE if you close browser/lock phone? I’m automatically signed into app which is convenient, but might have to go with website for next trip...

I stay logged in - I have a bigger issue with getting kicked out of the website than the app.

Be careful, Folks. I understand the desire to grab more Fast Passes, but don't miss out on the Disney Magic by staring at your phone all day in hopes of a better ride time.

I would rather spend a couple of minutes refreshing for another ride over waiting in the standby line for that same ride. "Staring at your phone all day" probably isn't the best way to describe the refresh process.

Just out of curiosity... Has anyone noticed if the Touring Plans app says "Next FP+ Gone" are they gone for refreshing too?

Hi.
We will be heading to Disney in two weeks.
Can someone please explain exactly what you mean but going through the website instead of the Disney World App?
I have an iPhone 6+.
Do I go on a browser on my phone and type in:
www.disney.com
Then go to log in or look for MDE
Save to my homescreen

Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter