“This is The Greatest Show!” : A PTR to the Greatest Trip Ever! Updatex1 - 7 Aug/18 - COMPLETE

disneyshakeygirl

DIS Veteran
The Prologue
133C9E8C-113F-4F9B-B48C-EEEFE4CD3EEF.gif
“Ladies and gents, this is the moment you've waited for (woah)
Been searching in the dark, your sweat soaking through the floor (woah)
And buried in your bones there's an ache that you can't ignore
so, enjoy the Taking your breath, stealing your mind
And all that was real is left behind”​

And so it begins! The prologue to the greatest show (read as: trip) on earth. My name is Laura (that’s me below, ten points to you if you guess where I’m from!) and I’ll be your host during this PTR and the eventual TR.

0F194F47-119B-448D-9C79-D3F4983FFAA2.jpeg

The title of this PTR comes from the movie The Greatest Showman, which has quickly become one of my favourite films. I am a MASSIVE, especially musical, theatre fan.

I was raised on, amongst other things, musicals (both theatrical and film versions) and I’m very grateful to my parents for exposing me to such amazing things.

Here are the basics:
Who: Myself, Laura and some friends
What: A 3 week (26 days) trip to Orlando, with 2 week’s directly in WDW
When: Aug 21 to Sept 16, 2018
Where: Aug 21 - Sept 1 with a friend; Sept 1 - Sept 15 at POFQ; Sept 15 - 16 back with my friend
Why: A variety of reasons. It’s a:
  • Coming to terms with things
  • End of contract
  • Recovery
TRIP!​

I’ll explain it all in an upcoming entry! So, come along, and enjoy the greatest show (trip) on earth!

Last edited:
The Cast
You’ll need to know who’s starring in this show! There will be quite a few people making appearances, but here are the main cast!

AB4E0F5D-2BE5-43B7-8A97-F1FF857F7B4C.jpeg
You’ve met me, Laura. I’m a Registered Early Childhood Educator, working as a nanny. In June, my contract will be coming to an end after 3 years with the same family (they’re my third family), and I will have 2 and a bit months off before moving to the UK to work as a nanny there. More on that later.

Name: Laura
Favourite Park(s): Epcot, followed by MK and AK
Ride(s): BTMRR, Test Track, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Star Tours
Restaurant(s): BoG, Rose and Crown, Tony’s (#sorrynotsorry), Coral Reef, Grand Floridian Cafe, Sci Fi, Sassagoula Floatworks
Characters: Donald, Mickey, Mary Poppins, Bert, Barbossa, Louis the Alligator, Mama Odie, Ray
Princess(es): Belle, Merida, Mulan and Tiana
Prince(s): Naveen, Flynn, and Beast
Villain(s): Gaston (esp Luke Evans’ portrayal), Facilier, Chernabog
Marvel: Iron Man, Capt and Thor
Star Wars: POE, Leia and Chewie

C82AA90B-115F-4611-BF48-074F08EE9D19.jpeg
Joining the show is one of my BFFs, Poe. Not her actual name, due to privacy reasons, but you’ll find out in a bit why the name Poe comes up, and will come up. A LOT. Poe lives in Florida and is the friend I’ll be staying with for the first week and a bit, and again on my last night before I fly out. Poe and I knew each other through a mutual friend on FB. The 3 of us,Kel, Poe and I are known as #teamfinalamount. Anyway, Poe and I started talking and ended up becoming fast friends. I met she, and her daughters (who will be mentioned but won’t appear in photos, due to privacy, fully for the first time on my last trip in 2016 and she is now one of my bffs. We basically adopted each other. We have literally been through heck and back together over the past 2 years.

Name: Poe
Favourite Park(s): MK
Ride(s): ToT
Restaurant(s): SciFi
Characters: Mickey
Princess(es): Ariel and Rapunzel
Prince(s): Flynn
Villain(s): Ursula
Marvel: Capt and Thor
Star Wars: POE DAMERON

F50EE5AE-F3B7-4F04-B104-3DECC7538EF3.jpeg
This is Alex, another one of my bffs. She and I met through a former friend when I was visiting WDW in 2014. Alex and I have become super close over the past year, and like Poe and myself, have been through heck and back. Featured in the photo of Alex is the bane of our friendship, the mystical Cheddar Cheese Soup. Again, stories behind that, but you’ll have to stick it out to see why there are stories!

Name:Alex
Favourite Rides(s): soran, peter pan, flights of passage
Park(s): epcot
Resort(s): grand, port orleans *both*
Restaurant(s): be our guest, boat wrights, park fare
Show(s): fant, DEP, happily ever after, illuminations, beauty and the beast, folk
Disney character(s): peter pan
Princess(es): belle, poca, punzie,
Villain(s): hades,
Disney film(s): peter pan, beauty and the beast, all of them except lion king
Dis song(s): all of them except lion king

You will come across a variety of other friends, including Mimi (Alex’s grandma), Danielle, Luke and several more. If you read any references to Mr Man and Missy Moo, those are the children I nanny for.

Now, comes the most important member of this cast - the trip’s mascot. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you....

OSCAR ISAAC. Both Poe (are things making sense now?) and I are massive SW fans and Oscar Isaac fans. Hence, Oscar will be making cameo appearances.

E188E4FF-7459-4882-A9EC-88A069B13A81.jpeg

Last edited:
The Running Time and the Setting

From August 21 to Sept 1, I’ll be staying with Poe and her girls. Poe and I talk every day. I don’t have much family, but Poe is just like family. Alex will visit too.

On Sept 1, Poe very kindly will be driving me and I’ll be staying at POFQ from Sept 1 to Sept 15,2018. This will be my fourth stay here (and approx my 10th visit to Disney World). I picked here for several reasons.

I am a planner. I looked at several hotels, including The Contemporary, AKL, Beach Club and POR. I am very much an Epcot girl, hence BC and the walking to Epcot screamed out to me. The transportation greatly appealed to me for Contempo. AKL was ideal as I love animals. The first three were out of my budget. I ultimately decided POR was too big and I was really in the mood for comfort, so I decided to return to POFQ. I’ll be staying in a Garden View room, complete with the DDDP. I spent my grad trip at this hotel, plus my two previous trips. Memories alone made me come back.

I love POFQ for the transport to DS, how quiet the hotel is, the good food and the kind staff.

Last edited:

I was raised on, amongst other things, musicals (both theatrical and film versions) and I’m very grateful to my parents for exposing me to such amazing things.
ME, TOO!!! I love me a good musical, and I'm raising my 8 year old son the same way. He has seen Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat twice on stage, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin (twice), Mamma Mia, The Little Mermaid, Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella, and Mary Poppins. Spoiled little guy, but we love making memories together and singing along to the soundtracks in the car. He is in love with The Greatest Showman soundtrack at the moment and hasn't even seen the movie yet!

What: A 3 week (26 days) trip to Orlando, with 2 week’s directly in WDW
I'm already jealous of the length of this trip. Sounds heavenly!!!

I’m a Registered Early Childhood Educator
Me, too :) I teach Kindergarten in a Private Catholic school in Chicago.

Excited to hear all you have planned for this trip!!!

ME, TOO!!! I love me a good musical, and I'm raising my 8 year old son the same way. He has seen Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat twice on stage, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin (twice), Mamma Mia, The Little Mermaid, Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella, and Mary Poppins. Spoiled little guy, but we love making memories together and singing along to the soundtracks in the car. He is in love with The Greatest Showman soundtrack at the moment and hasn't even seen the movie yet!

I'm already jealous of the length of this trip. Sounds heavenly!!!

Me, too :) I teach Kindergarten in a Private Catholic school in Chicago.

Excited to hear all you have planned for this trip!!!

Eep, you're like me! Great minds think alike! Your son will have such amazing exposure - he already does! I'm so jealous you've seen Cinderella and Aladdin. I've seen (in North America), Jersey Bots, Strictly Ballroom, Bat Out of ________, Kinky Boots (2x), Mamma Mia, Mary Poppins (2x), Beauty and the Beast (2x), Lion King, Cats (2x), Phantom, The Boy From Oz, Oklahoma and a few others. Very spoiled (many I've footed myself). In the West End, I've seen Wicked, Phantom, Matilda, Sweeney Todd, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, and The Lion King.

I've never gone for so long, so I'm excited!

We're definitely meant to connect! I love meeting fellow ECEs.

The Plot

Now…. how did this trip come about? Through a variety of ways and this is where it may get a little personal, text, and a bit timeline heavy, but please bare with me.

I was last in Disney for 2 glorious weeks in September, 2016, to celebrate my 30th birthday a few months early (my birthday isn’t until December). I had to go then, as both my bosses are in high profile jobs and their busy times are from June to August and October through April. It also worked out very well, as the trip had been booked, Mr Man was starting school for the first time and September is a decent time to go.

At the time, I was living with and taking care of my mum, who had some health concerns but nothing serious.

One Sunday, A few weeks after I arrived home, Mum slept in, and unfortunately, didn’t wake up. It turned out she’d had a massive stroke in her sleep. Her COPD flared up, this strengthened the stroke and she went in under 2 mins. There was no suffering, no pain. I was left to deal with the majority of the dealings, as my sister couldn’t afford to come over from the UK (both of my parents were British).
9BC97881-756E-431F-AAE9-76A289DCB02A.jpeg
Disney and Disney World was a thing for my mum and I. We’d done countless trips together. We went immediately after my dad passed on in 2004. We went after her father passed in 2008. It’d become something of a tradition that when something happened in our family, happy or sad, the Family would go to WDW.

She lived For AK. Hence, part of the reason I’m going on this trip is in memory of her.
D645C874-4FD2-41F0-A348-19F4B271C023.jpeg

As soon as the date opened to reserve 2018 packages, I was on the phone with Disney, booking the package.

While everything was wrapping up with my mum’s passing and her estate (which took FAR longer than it should have), I made the mistake of putting my health and well being on the back burner. I literally was taking care of and worrying about everyone and everything else. I, unfortunately, developed a severe eating issue. I’m well into recovery and am actually on medical orders from my doctors to go on this trip. Disney was a medical necessity. It would bring me closure for numerous reasons.

The third and final reason, aside from just wanting (and needing) to go back to Disney, my contract with Mr Man and Missy Moo will be finishing on June 29th. In my province, children start school at the age of 4. Missy Moo will be turning 4 soon, this starting school in September. After 3 years, it’ll be time to move on. Such is the nature of the job. I also haven’t had a break since my mum died and it’s time.

It’s an “End of contract, recovery and general much needed”kind of trip!

So, this is how my trip came about!

Last edited:
Tentative Dining

My ADR date is coming up fast! Roll on, March 5! This is probably one of my most favourite parts of planning a WDW trip. Everyone be This time round, however, it is also one of the most terrifying parts for me.

You may have caught from my previous update that I have an ED, that was diagnosed mid last year. However, I am well into recovery and am ready and willing for the roads ahead.

As I’m on the Disney Deluxe Dining Plan (Dr’s Orders!), I’ve got a lot of choice. I also have a pile of food allergies, so between those and everything else, it’ll make an interesting trip!

**Brief pause for a character intro here: My main dr will be mentioned in this PTR and TR. She, literally, is the female version of this man.
2993DE78-AF5B-4E94-9A71-214AFE01ADCE.jpeg
A little (ok, much) nicer, but if you take the blunt talks, the diagnoses, the honesty, the looks, and the comebacks, you’ve got my doctor.

B5EAD615-4B5A-47F9-A33B-771C070D8B4B.jpeg
So, she’ll be known as House**

Here are the planned ADRs so far! Any ones with * are new to me/friends.

Must Do’s/Confirmed
Solo
Epcot

• Rose and Crown
  • Liberty Inn
  • Coral Reef (family and Laura solo tradition)
  • Sunshine Seasons*

Animal Kingdom
  • Yak and Yeti*

Hollywood Studios
  • 50s Prime Time
  • Sci Fi

Magic Kingdom
BoG (lunch this time)
Tony’s (family favourite/tradition; #sorrynotsorry)
Columbia Harbour House*
Pecos Bill’s*

Disney Springs
Raglan Road

Hotels/Resorts
1900 Park Fare
Grand Floridian Cafe
Sanaa
Boma*
Sassagoula

Confirmed With Friends
Sci Fi (Tradition with Poe and kids)
Skipper’s Canteen* (w/ Poe and kids)

Possibilities

Epcot
Lotus Blossom*
Electric Umbrella*

Animal Kingdom
Restaurantasaurus

Hollywood Studios
Pizzerizzo*

Magic Kingdom
The Plaza
Casey’s

Disney Springs
Food trucks *
Earl of Sandwich
Cookes of Dublin*

Resorts/Hotels
Olivia’s *
The Wave *
Cape May
Trader Sam’s *​

Things will more likely change but for now, I think this is a pretty solid list!

Last edited:
What did he think of Wicked?! I also forgot I’ve seen Evita and Spamalot!
He really loved Wicked, especially since he'd been hearing the soundtrack in the car for ages!!

One Sunday, A few weeks after I arrived home, Mum slept in, and unfortunately, didn’t wake up.
That is so terribly sad, but a small comfort to know she at least didn't suffer any pain in her last moments.

It sounds like Disney therapy is certainly in order here. Glad you have this opportunity to take care of YOU!

Your dining plans sound incredible!! SO many great choices and lots that I've never been to either. Two that stood out from your list are 50's Primetime (my FAV!!) and Pecos Bill's (a newfound lunch or big snack between lunch and dinner favorite!)

He really loved Wicked, especially since he'd been hearing the soundtrack in the car for ages!!

It’s one of my favourites! ive seen it in 4 cities, and 3 different countries. What is your son's favourite show?

That is so terribly sad, but a small comfort to know she at least didn't suffer any pain in her last moments.

It sounds like Disney therapy is certainly in order here. Glad you have this opportunity to take care of YOU!

Thank you so much! I agree, at least she did not suffer, which means more to me than anything.

I’m very much looking to this Disney Therapy!

Your dining plans sound incredible!! SO many great choices and lots that I've never been to either. Two that stood out from your list are 50's Primetime (my FAV!!) and Pecos Bill's (a newfound lunch or big snack between lunch and dinner favorite!)

thank you! what do you usually get at Pecos?

Real Life Update
It’s been a busy week and it’s about to get even busier for me. Short and sweet entry.

Monday, I worked and then went to see Every Day with my bff Danielle. It was good, but we were both very confused by the end of it. We still are confused. We’re both glad we saw it but would we see it again? Probably not.

Tuesday, I worked late and went home and crashed. Wednesday, I received my verbal confirmation of my contract renewal for the remaining months of my job with this family. That night, I had an appointment with the dietician, which went okay.

Thursday, I had my performance review, which is always super stressful and left me in tears, both good and bad. I went it with my friend, Nat, for Pho that night, which was really goods down made up for my crummy day. Nat got a bowl (Tofu and Veggies with Rice Noodles)and I got 2 Deep Fried Vegetable Spring Rolls and 2 Rice Paper Shrimp Wraps. Mine was so good, I forgot to take photos.

Worked late again and then had a phone conference with my employers to review some things.

Yesterday, I did some chores, sold my car (luckily, I get to hold it until August) and went to see The Greatest Showman for the billionth time. Speaking of Hugh Jackman (from a few years ago):

3D9C1AE6-0798-448A-AAB6-F948B7B26DAA.jpeg
Today will be a chill day.

Monday is work and some appointments, Tuesday through Friday is working late, along with coffee with one of my sisters on Tuesday, dinner with a friend on Thursday and then A Wrinkle in Time on Friday.

I’m sure this doesn’t seem as busy to some, but I’m used to being a homebody, lol!

Last edited:
What is your son's favourite show?
He loves Mary Poppins--we've seen it twice at a dinner theater in Wisconsin Dells and he is constantly reciting quotes from it :) So funny!

what do you usually get at Pecos?
I usually go with the fajitas or tacos with beef and or chicken. The toppings bar there is incredible!!!!!

3d9c1ae6-0798-448a-aab6-f948b7b26daa-jpeg.306546
That's so cool!!!!!! Where did you get to meet him!?

Oh I am so sorry for your loss. Im sure it'd still pretty raw right now.. it hasn't even been that long. You 100% need this trip. It won't heal but it will help put a little bit of joy back into your life.

He loves Mary Poppins--we've seen it twice at a dinner theater in Wisconsin Dells and he is constantly reciting quotes from it :) So funny!

I usually go with the fajitas or tacos with beef and or chicken. The toppings bar there is incredible!!!!!

That's so cool!!!!!! Where did you get to meet him!?

That is so sweet, re: Mary!

I’ve never had fajitas, nor tacos. They sound yummy!

At his one man show in Toronto a few years ago. I’ve met him before p, through one of my closest friends/old dance teacher, who is now on Broadway. Super nice man, Hugh!

Oh I am so sorry for your loss. Im sure it'd still pretty raw right now.. it hasn't even been that long. You 100% need this trip. It won't heal but it will help put a little bit of joy back into your life.

Thank you so, so much. You’re right, it’s still raw. It won’t heal, that’s definitely true, but it’ll definitely bring out a little bit of the joy and love!

Following along! Can’t wait to hear more about your trip. I also love musicals. I think the Greatest Showman has the best soundtrack and I’ve been replaying it for months.

Following along!

I'm so sorry about your mom. My mom passed away 7 yr ago and I still miss her. I think of her every time we go to Disneyland and it always makes me cry. I hope that you have a wonderful trip!

Following along!

I'm so sorry about your mom. My mom passed away 7 yr ago and I still miss her. I think of her every time we go to Disneyland and it always makes me cry. I hope that you have a wonderful trip!

Welcome!

Thank you so much. I’m also sorry about your mom. It’s never easy, is it?

Thank you! I’m sure I will!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter