“You’re My Favorites: Now Go Away!” Feb/Mar 2019 First Family Trip (Complete 8/19)

I just read your trip report so far - you're girls are adorable and I have to say, I am beyond impressed with how they are holding up. They seem to be having an absolute blast. Thumbs up to you for being an expert planner but also willing to go with the flow. I see many more trips in your future. We went last June and rented points to stay at Beach Club and while I did not love BC,I completely agree with you about the convenience of the Crescent Loop resorts, especially with young children and strollers!! I hate struggling with a big double stroller on buses - I can't imagine adding an umbrella stroller to the mix. We did a split stay at BC and AKL - I highly recommend AKL. Can't wait to read the rest of the trip.

I love both Peter Pan and Under the Sea. I think Peter Pan definitely has the nostalgia factor - it's also smack in the middle of Fantasyland so many people without a touring plan jump into line, keeping the lines long. I also think they have a smaller capacity than Under the Sea which backs up the Peter Pan line.

What an excellent interaction with the Stepsisters! They are just the best. I know the Stepmother and Stepsisters are rotten to Cinderella, but they were the best part of my meal at 1900 Park Fare by a longshot. I also love their dictionary page! What a hoot!

I LOVE Crystal Palace for breakfast! I've gone there on my last four trips and loved it every time. I'm glad you were in time to grab an omelet (I always order one, too!) and were able to enjoy the other favorites. I've never had a problem meeting the characters quickly at CP, but it's nice to hear that you had a similar experience at mid-morning that I've had first-thing.

I hope your plans for another late night work out!

Hubby and I were happy to see them so happy, which is really they whole point of bringing your kids to Disney, right?

This right here. :goodvibes I know every Disney vacation (heck, every vacation!) has it's rough points, but the reason you bring kids to Disney World is because it can be so magical and cause such happy moments. Even if the kids forget some of them, the parents don't! I'm thrilled you had many of those moments!

What an awesome meet with the Stepsisters! And I love the story behind the TR title! I like how they marked up their page in the book too!

Sounds like a fun breakfast! Crystal Palace is one of my favorites. Sorry about B overdoing it- glad she bounced back quickly.

The stepsisters were really excellent. I'm glad we snuck them in.

The CP breakfast was really tasty. I could have done without B getting sick, but so it goes...

Kids get bent out of shape over the most random things

The true lesson of parenting, right here!

My husband doesn't like breakfast foods, either! What weirdos.

I don't get it! Breakfast for dinner was such a treat growing up and he can't stand it.

and who knew going into this parenting gig that you would have to teach kids to not just puke on the floor or in their bed or wherever they happened to be?

I consider "aims puke into toilet" to be one of the most exciting parenting milestones people don't actually tell you about before you have kids.

Aw, the interaction with the Step-sisters sounds fabulous.
Like you and your hubby, I prefer breakfast foods but he prefers lunch/supper foods. We are doing an 8:10 Crystal Palace breakfast in August (it will just be him and me), and I can't wait. I only have one other breakfast ADR (and might cancel it) and all our other ADRs are lunch/supper times so he gets his chance for what he likes the rest of the trip.

Well, if you want to spit the difference, I'm a big fan of the 10:30 ADR. You can RD, get in a few rides, and then both get the kind of food you like.

I feel like the Step sisters have more fun! We had a great meet with them at 1900 Park Fare.

They were the funniest meet we had, that's for sure.

What a great meet with the Step sisters!

We love CP breakfast and Pooh is super soft!

Pooh was, indeed, super soft. I just don't think I would have thought twice about it if the kids hadn't pointed it out.

I'm really enjoying your trip report! Currently living vicariously through other people (our trip in two weeks is only a Universal one for our oldest's graduation) but we are staying one night at Beach Club afterwards and I've added a few things to our to-do list while reading about your adventures around Crescent Lake!

Fun! With only one night, make sure Ample Hills is at the top of your list. That ice cream was delish!

OMG-I love your meet! And the autograph is so great!

Thanks. It was so much fun.

I just read your trip report so far - you're girls are adorable and I have to say, I am beyond impressed with how they are holding up. They seem to be having an absolute blast. Thumbs up to you for being an expert planner but also willing to go with the flow. I see many more trips in your future. We went last June and rented points to stay at Beach Club and while I did not love BC,I completely agree with you about the convenience of the Crescent Loop resorts, especially with young children and strollers!! I hate struggling with a big double stroller on buses - I can't imagine adding an umbrella stroller to the mix. We did a split stay at BC and AKL - I highly recommend AKL. Can't wait to read the rest of the trip.

Welcome aboard! The girls were troopers, that's for sure. AKL looks beautiful, but their studios max out at 4. We were limited to 5 person studios to minimize the points needed for our long stay.

I love both Peter Pan and Under the Sea. I think Peter Pan definitely has the nostalgia factor - it's also smack in the middle of Fantasyland so many people without a touring plan jump into line, keeping the lines long. I also think they have a smaller capacity than Under the Sea which backs up the Peter Pan line.

What an excellent interaction with the Stepsisters! They are just the best. I know the Stepmother and Stepsisters are rotten to Cinderella, but they were the best part of my meal at 1900 Park Fare by a longshot. I also love their dictionary page! What a hoot!

I LOVE Crystal Palace for breakfast! I've gone there on my last four trips and loved it every time. I'm glad you were in time to grab an omelet (I always order one, too!) and were able to enjoy the other favorites. I've never had a problem meeting the characters quickly at CP, but it's nice to hear that you had a similar experience at mid-morning that I've had first-thing.

I hope your plans for another late night work out!

This right here. :goodvibes I know every Disney vacation (heck, every vacation!) has it's rough points, but the reason you bring kids to Disney World is because it can be so magical and cause such happy moments. Even if the kids forget some of them, the parents don't! I'm thrilled you had many of those moments!

The stepsisters were so much fun. I'm glad the early mornings each day meant we could fit them in.

We had a blast at CP, but I've seen lots of people saying it's one that has a long wait to be seated, lots of down time between characters, etc. We were excited not to have that experience for sure.

This vacation really was magical. We'll see how much the girls really remember, but the adults definitely will!

Park Day Six: Magic Kingdom (cont’d)

Working our way back to Frontierland, I couldn’t help but be impressed with my FP foresight. I had set out our daily plans months ago and just happened to put Splash on our hottest MK day of the trip! Unfortunately, the FP line was backed up well past the tap points when we got there, but the line moved quickly. We were in the extended FP line at 12:13 and our ride photo is 12:32, so not too bad.

Now, before I show you that delightful ride photo, let’s turn back to April of 2007. I was preparing to graduate college and, among various sources of entertainment, I read the webcomic XKCD regularly. Upon seeing the comic Chess Photo and the responses readers sent in (https://xkcd.com/chesscoaster/), I decided I wanted one of my own. However, being too cheap to buy roller coaster photos, I had never had the chance to make my dream a reality. In the meantime, goofy ride photos have essentially become the norm, but I want to be clear that this nonsense was in the plan long before everyone started making it a game to do silly poses as a group. Additionally, since none of the girls could ride alone, Hubby and I had to stage it being in two different rows on the log.

NPj6gyBl.jpg

That, my friends, is chutes and ladders being played on Splash Mountain while my kids attempt to hold on for dear life. I’m pretty sure A screaming her head off while I actively ignore her is the best part. When we got off, the girls all said they didn’t like the ride because their butts got wet. Honestly, we didn’t get very wet at all and they dried off quickly in the heat. What they didn’t like was that they had psyched themselves out watching while we were walking over: they braced themselves for every little fake out drop leading up to the real deal. There were no tears, just some grumbling about being wet.

Since brunch had gone faster than expected, we had time to sneak over to the 1pm Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire before we needed to use our next FP. Personally, I was glad to be a bit wet because standing out waiting in that sun wasn’t pleasant.

paRmkcxl.jpg

It was a cute show but probably not worth trying to fit into a shorter or hotter trip. If we were melting when it was only mid 80s and low humidity, it has to be sweltering during the summer months. After the show, we headed over to use our third FP of the day, and one that I was most skeptical about. The girls, despite thinking that they like “spooky” things, don’t do well with being scared. This Halloween, they asked to see the decorations for sale in every store we went to. They got a kick out of the little witches that cackled and such but, when confronted with the genuinely creepy stuff at Spirit Halloween, they refused to go near any of the touch-activated displays. I had shown them Haunted Mansion on YouTube and they all said they wanted to give it a try. After discussing it with Hubby, we opted to skip the Stretching Room. I didn’t want that to set them off before they managed to get on the ride.

We tapped in at 1:30pm to a moderate FP line. While we waited, I was able to pick up a 2:30pm Buzz FP for everyone. In order to skip the stretching room, you just tell the CM ushering people in that you want to do so. She had us stand to the side, handed us a card, and sent us through a side door. The hallway we were in had two doors, one that was marked for CMs only and one that was an exit. We didn’t want to exit, so we tried knocking on the CM door to see if we were missing something. They told us to go ahead through the exit, make a left back into the ride, and there would be someone there to hand the card to. One would think that could be printed on the card, perhaps with a little map, or that the exit sign could also say “Skip Stretching Room Here”. Maybe they don’t have enough people opting out for it to be worth the trouble.

We went as instructed and found ourselves shoving in with everyone else to get loaded onto our dune buggies at 1:43pm. I rode with A, while Hubby had B and C. We made it a game to find as many spooky things as we could and all three of them had a blast. I’m still not sure how it would have gone if we had done the stretching room and generally treated the ride more seriously: it’s something to work up to.

After the ride, I was thinking we could check out the Liberty Belle or Tom Sawyer Island but the kids were thinking they wanted to swim. Our next priority wasn’t until the 5:45pm Move It, Shake It parade, so we followed their lead and headed for the buses. We were at the bus stop at 2:08pm and, after a moderate wait, found ourselves in the room getting changed at 2:44pm.

After hanging at the pool a while, no one wanted a real lunch but everyone was in the mood for a heavy snack. We opted to get a couple of Mickey pretzels as well as a QS credit of a pretzel dog and a roller coaster meltdown. The kids demolished the pretzels, and I’m always a fan of a sugary blended beverage, but the pretzel dog was a bust. It is listed as coming with Dijon mustard which I assumed would be on the side to dip. Instead, it seemed that a hefty portion of mustard was slathered on before the hot dog was wrapped by the pretzel, to the point that it was nearly inedible. I’m not one to waste food, but it was bad enough that I unwrapped the thing and wiped off as much of the mustard as possible before I could eat it.

Snack consumed, we were hitting the point where we would need to start heading out of the pool if we wanted to make it back for the last Move It, Shake It parade of the day. The girls were still having a blast, though, so they opted to keep swimming, even if it meant we wouldn’t be able to fit the parade into our last trip day. About 5pm, when the shivering began in earnest, I pulled everyone out of the pool and headed up to the room. We were all five showered, dressed, and back out the door at 5:34pm, which has to be a family record. We were at the bus stop at 5:38pm, moving at 5:55pm, and found ourselves in a moderately backed up FP line at 6:22pm. This time, I insisted that I ride with only one kid so that I’d have a chance to operate my own weapon 😊

Hm2L5E2l.jpg

S6x7fe0l.jpg

Our mission was complete at 6:45pm and it was time to snag a spot for the 8pm Happily Ever After. Based on research here, we headed for a spot in the garden in front of Casey’s. Unfortunately, I’ve been seeing reports that this is being used as a reserved area many nights, just like it’s Plaza counterpart is roped off for the dessert party. It’s a great spot if it’s open, though. While there were a few families already staking out spots, there was still plenty of room for us to park the strollers and the kids to sit and play in the faux grass while I made a QS run. Everyone except B was down for nachos from Pecos Bill, so I mobile ordered two, pork and chicken, marked that I was ready to pick up, and set off across the park, this time with A as she wanted to help.

While I appreciated the thought, navigating the toppings bar at Pecos Bill was definitely harder with her in tow. It didn’t help that one side was out of cheese, while the other was out of salsa, so everyone was confusedly moving back and forth between the two areas trying to dress their meals. Then, there was the walk back to the hub with a five-year-old carrying a tray of food. Since my hands were full, I couldn’t keep one on her, so I just had to keep reminding her to stay close to me, look where she was going, and hold the tray straight. We made it back unscathed and spill-free, even if it cost me a couple of gray hairs. Just in the time that it took to get our food, the area was starting to fill up, but everyone still had room to sit and eat. I had hoped that, upon seeing the nachos, B would be swayed, but she was still full tilt about wanting mac and cheese. After snagging a couple bites for myself, I put in my next mobile order for the night, this time the snack credit mac and cheese from Columbia Harbor House, and headed out again. The food was ready when I got there but navigating the growing crowds in the hub was slowing me down. By the time I delivered B her dish (which she barely touched, because of course) and gulped down the remaining nachos, it was already 7:30pm.

The plan was to grab snack credit sundaes from Plaza Ice Cream Parlour, but the line just looked too long. Instead, I opted to grab Mickey bars and ice cream sandwiches from one of the carts in the hub. I hopped in line and started seeing what single FPs I could pick up in MDE. The park close had been bumped to 10pm and Hubby and I had talked about him possibly taking the girls back to the room while I enjoyed a couple hours of solo park time. Since all five of us had admission that day, and I had the backup card tickets, I was trying to see if I could line up a bunch of good FPs to bang through in the last hour of operation. I had PotC, HM, the Mickey meet, and BTMRR when I realized that my line really wasn’t moving at all. It turns out, despite the CMs telling people that the line formed against the wall, the family in front of me on the wall was not actually in the line, so the line sort of veered off away from me. Of course, in the five minutes I was staring at my phone, the line had grown considerably so I was now hopping into it much further back.

Once I started anxiously clock watching, it felt like we were barely inching ahead. Each register had one CM ringing people up while another one grabbed everything from the order, so it wasn’t their fault. It just seemed like every guest had no idea what the cart served (there are photo menus, people) or were entirely unsure as to who wanted what. Case in point, at 7:56pm, I had only one family left ahead of me. When the “grabbing” CM came over to get their order, they asked her to explain how the dining plan credits worked! Guys, the fireworks start in four minutes, is now really the time? I hopped past them to the CM running the register and everyone kind of looked at me for a second like I’d cut the line. I confirmed that they weren’t actually ready to order, which the agreed, and gave the cash register CM my order (2 Mickey Bars, 2 Mickey sandwiches on four snack credits, please). I was out of there long before the understood how many snacks they were entitled to.

I squeezed my way back in with the rest of the family and distributed the treats just as Happily Ever After was starting. We had a pretty good view, all things considered. There were a few trees and light posts in our line of sight, but we could see the projections with only minor obstructions. The kids were able to stand up in their stroller seats and see everything, plus the folks behind them were psyched that we weren’t playing the shoulder kid game. The show was gorgeous, as you all know, and the castle projections were unlike anything I had seen before. It’s was a great way to end a great day in MK.

When the show was over, Hubby asked if I was going to do my solo tour, but I decided against it. The kids were barely maintaining consciousness and it didn’t seem worth 90 minutes of park time to send him off to tackle the buses with three exhausted kids and a double stroller. We did opt to stay for Once Upon a Time, though, in order to allow the first wave of fireworks crowds and their subsequent bus lines to dissipate. We walked upstream of the masses and found a great spot smack dab in the middle of the hub. In the meantime, the girls finally succumbed.

alA5PUHl.jpg

wUo0ZpYl.jpg

I hadn’t read much about OuaT. I knew it was a show on the castle where Mrs. Potts told bedtime stories, but that’s about it. The projections were incredible! The effects of making the castle look like it was moving and transforming were so real. It didn’t hurt that, with the kids asleep and the crowds dissipated, Hubby and I were able to sit on the ground and watch instead of craning our necks and wiping up ice cream faces.

We headed out and ended up with perfect bus timing. The Boardwalk bus was only half full and loading right when we walked up. The girls weren’t stirring, so it was a bit of a production carrying them each up to seats before breaking down the strollers. Hubby ended up with both strollers while the girls slept on me for the ride back. They stayed asleep for the whole process of unloading, getting back to the room, and transitioning to bed. I don’t think my girls have slept in a stroller since they aged out of their infant seats, but Disney had finally wiped them out! It had wiped the adults out, too, if we’re being honest. Neither of us stayed up much later than the kids before we crashed as well.

We managed to get a lot done on our third day in MK, but there was still a lot that we missed. Our pre-travel itinerary for this day left it low key, including a late entry and an early exit. Then, over the course of the trip, I kept loading up the itinerary with things we missed and it turned into a RD-to-fireworks parkstorming kind of day. Reality landed somewhere in the middle. Some of what we missed (Swiss Family Treehouse, Tom Sawyer Island, CoP) would have been nice if the weather had been cooler, but we were fine to miss in favor of pool time. On the other hand, I had to push Move It, Shake It and Peoplemover into our fourth park day as we had now managed to miss them twice each on earlier itineraries. We got to enjoy 6 rides, 2 hilarious characters, 3 shows, a poolside afternoon, and a brunch in the Hundred Acre Woods.

Dining Plan Day 7

Day 7 Actual Spending
Main St Bakery: $12.82
Crystal Palace: $177.86
Leaping Horse Libations: $36.62
Pecos Bill’s: $37.41
Columbia Harbor House: $3.52
MK Snack Cart: $24.61

DDP Day 7 Value: $292.84

Total DDP To Date: $2,276.60
Dining Value Above DDP Cost: $161.69

Moderate Splurge Adjustments
Again, the only adjustments I’d make this day would be removing three adult beverages at Crystal Palace and Leaping Horse, as well as the soda from Pecos Bill’s. Brunch mimosa’s are going to be advantage to the dining plan every time. 😊

Moderate Splurge Day Seven Estimated Cost (Tax and Tip): $276.52
Moderate Splurge Budget To Date: $1,687.58

In case anyone didn’t notice, we officially “beat” the dining plan on this day. With 2.5 days to go, including one more table service meal to come, we had saved money with the dining plan compared to the out of pocket cost of our food to date. Moreover, we hadn’t been forcing ourselves to eat, buying snacks we didn’t want, or otherwise trying to maximize dining plan credits. If you look back, we were buying what we wanted and had been mostly sharing snacks and meals. The only times we were buying for everyone were the TS which required us to use a credit for each member of our party. While I understand that the dining plan doesn’t work for a lot of people, it was awesome for us. If you’re traveling with Disney kids, planning character meals, and have adults who appreciate adult beverages, it’s worth looking into!

Your Splash Mountain ride photo turned out great! I'm always impressed by folks that put the extra effort into the ride photo.

I'm glad to hear that the Haunted Mansion worked out well! You were probably wise to skip the stretching room this time, but hopefully you can catch it on a future trip. I am a big fan of the stretching room (especially looking for the hanging man on the ceiling... probably a morbid thought but it is a surprise highlight!).

Why do people always have to ask about their dining credits at the worst possible time?! I get that it can be confusing to first-timers, but it may be best to ask guest services or your hotel concierge rather than waste park time (or at least ask at a less busy time!). I'm glad you were able to get your ice cream quickly!

Wow, the girls were spent! Disney is so tiring - for kids and adults alike! It's too bad you missed out on your solo park time, but it would've been tough for your husband to get three sleepy kids back to the room by himself. You'll just have to plan solo time on a future trip!

It seems like you did very well with the dining plan! I'm glad it worked so well for you!

Great 3rd MK day!

I have to say you have some really good planning skills! I feel like we don’t usually plan it out that much sometimes we hit a lot sometimes we don’t. But your detail is amazing!

I love the splash mountain picture!

I love your math on the DDP I’m pretty sure I have mentioned that before, but some seriously amazing work!

Great ride photo!!

Glad the girls did well on Haunted Mansion!

I'm sure it wasn't fun making so many food runs while waiting for HEA!

That's a cute selfie of you and DH! I'm sorry you didn't get your solo time but was nice of you to stick with DH!

That, my friends, is chutes and ladders being played on Splash Mountain while my kids attempt to hold on for dear life.

:rotfl: Love it!

. The girls were still having a blast, though, so they opted to keep swimming, even if it meant we wouldn’t be able to fit the parade into our last trip day.

Way to be flexible and follow the kids' lead! Sounds like they were having a blast at the pool!

When the “grabbing” CM came over to get their order, they asked her to explain how the dining plan credits worked! Guys, the fireworks start in four minutes, is now really the time?

tenor.gif

Sounds like a really fun day! I'm glad your girls enjoyed Haunted Mansion - we didn't even end up doing it on our trip - somehow that was a corner of the park we just never made it to. Next time!

In the meantime, goofy ride photos have essentially become the norm, but I want to be clear that this nonsense was in the plan long before everyone started making it a game to do silly poses as a group. Additionally, since none of the girls could ride alone, Hubby and I had to stage it being in two different rows on the log.
Best ever!!
After the ride, I was thinking we could check out the Liberty Belle or Tom Sawyer Island but the kids were thinking they wanted to swim. Our next priority wasn’t until the 5:45pm Move It, Shake It parade, so we followed their lead and headed for the buses. We were at the bus stop at 2:08pm and, after a moderate wait, found ourselves in the room getting changed at 2:44pm.
Great call! I love how you follow the girl's lead. It makes for a much more relaxed trip when everyone is happy. :)
After hanging at the pool a while, no one wanted a real lunch but everyone was in the mood for a heavy snack. We opted to get a couple of Mickey pretzels as well as a QS credit of a pretzel dog and a roller coaster meltdown. The kids demolished the pretzels, and I’m always a fan of a sugary blended beverage, but the pretzel dog was a bust. It is listed as coming with Dijon mustard which I assumed would be on the side to dip. Instead, it seemed that a hefty portion of mustard was slathered on before the hot dog was wrapped by the pretzel, to the point that it was nearly inedible. I’m not one to waste food, but it was bad enough that I unwrapped the thing and wiped off as much of the mustard as possible before I could eat it.
I do love a great Mickey pretzel!
Our mission was complete at 6:45pm and it was time to snag a spot for the 8pm Happily Ever After. Based on research here, we headed for a spot in the garden in front of Casey’s. Unfortunately, I’ve been seeing reports that this is being used as a reserved area many nights, just like it’s Plaza counterpart is roped off for the dessert party. It’s a great spot if it’s open, though. While there were a few families already staking out spots, there was still plenty of room for us to park the strollers and the kids to sit and play in the faux grass while I made a QS run. Everyone except B was down for nachos from Pecos Bill, so I mobile ordered two, pork and chicken, marked that I was ready to pick up, and set off across the park, this time with A as she wanted to help.
Mobile order would be a godsend!
I squeezed my way back in with the rest of the family and distributed the treats just as Happily Ever After was starting. We had a pretty good view, all things considered. There were a few trees and light posts in our line of sight, but we could see the projections with only minor obstructions. The kids were able to stand up in their stroller seats and see everything, plus the folks behind them were psyched that we weren’t playing the shoulder kid game. The show was gorgeous, as you all know, and the castle projections were unlike anything I had seen before. It’s was a great way to end a great day in MK.
Isn't is just the best! I am so glad you loved it. :goodvibes
We headed out and ended up with perfect bus timing. The Boardwalk bus was only half full and loading right when we walked up. The girls weren’t stirring, so it was a bit of a production carrying them each up to seats before breaking down the strollers. Hubby ended up with both strollers while the girls slept on me for the ride back. They stayed asleep for the whole process of unloading, getting back to the room, and transitioning to bed. I don’t think my girls have slept in a stroller since they aged out of their infant seats, but Disney had finally wiped them out! It had wiped the adults out, too, if we’re being honest. Neither of us stayed up much later than the kids before we crashed as well.
Poor babies!! Mine were the same too at six. We each carried a sleeping twin and our poor little eight year old stumbled along between us. I don't think they had ever been so tired.
While I understand that the dining plan doesn’t work for a lot of people, it was awesome for us. If you’re traveling with Disney kids, planning character meals, and have adults who appreciate adult beverages, it’s worth looking into!
I think DDP works super well with the under 10 set. Once you are paying for five Disney adults at $75/day each it is a different story. We saved $568 on our last family trip paying OOP and didn't stint on anything. Glad it worked out so well for you. :)

Finally all caught up- your third MK day was one of the times we were in the park at the same time, correct? I think this is when somewhere between your breakfast ADR and my lunch Crystal Palace got all out of wack and ended up being super behind. Your pictures are so cute- Winnie and friends are so cuddly and fun.

I love your Splash Mountain picture!! I can't even get myself to ride that thing, much less pose like that, props and all. So cute that the girls didn't seem to mind it other than not liking getting wet. They're much, much braver than I was at that age. Or this age ;)

Good call skipping the stretching room. There's always that one person who insists on screaming bloody murder when the lights go out. Not a great way to start out a first Haunted Mansion experience.

Wooo! I finally caught up and am following along. I love all of the detail in your trip report!

P.S. My husband and I were readers of XKCD as well! :)

That, my friends, is chutes and ladders being played on Splash Mountain while my kids attempt to hold on for dear life. I’m pretty sure A screaming her head off while I actively ignore her is the best part.
I think the photo is even better with the girls! Especially A!
We went as instructed and found ourselves shoving in with everyone else to get loaded onto our dune buggies at 1:43pm. I rode with A, while Hubby had B and C. We made it a game to find as many spooky things as we could and all three of them had a blast. I’m still not sure how it would have gone if we had done the stretching room and generally treated the ride more seriously: it’s something to work up to.
Now at least they will know it's not too scary. And next time you can give the stretching room a try since they know what to expect!
I had PotC, HM, the Mickey meet, and BTMRR when I realized that my line really wasn’t moving at all. It turns out, despite the CMs telling people that the line formed against the wall, the family in front of me on the wall was not actually in the line, so the line sort of veered off away from me. Of course, in the five minutes I was staring at my phone, the line had grown considerably so I was now hopping into it much further back.
Ugh I hate that! And it feels whenever I ask if someone is in line and they are, they start to give me attitude! Dude - just checking so I don't get stuck waiting longer than I need to!
Once I started anxiously clock watching, it felt like we were barely inching ahead. Each register had one CM ringing people up while another one grabbed everything from the order, so it wasn’t their fault. It just seemed like every guest had no idea what the cart served (there are photo menus, people) or were entirely unsure as to who wanted what. Case in point, at 7:56pm, I had only one family left ahead of me. When the “grabbing” CM came over to get their order, they asked her to explain how the dining plan credits worked! Guys, the fireworks start in four minutes, is now really the time? I hopped past them to the CM running the register and everyone kind of looked at me for a second like I’d cut the line. I confirmed that they weren’t actually ready to order, which the agreed, and gave the cash register CM my order (2 Mickey Bars, 2 Mickey sandwiches on four snack credits, please). I was out of there long before the understood how many snacks they were entitled to.
Another ugh! I guess people just sign up for the dining plan and don't understand it at all! Just gives me anxiety sometimes!
There were a few trees and light posts in our line of sight, but we could see the projections with only minor obstructions. The kids were able to stand up in their stroller seats and see everything, plus the folks behind them were psyched that we weren’t playing the shoulder kid game. The show was gorgeous, as you all know, and the castle projections were unlike anything I had seen before. It’s was a great way to end a great day in MK.
Nice! It's good all three girls were able to see!
I hadn’t read much about OuaT. I knew it was a show on the castle where Mrs. Potts told bedtime stories, but that’s about it. The projections were incredible! The effects of making the castle look like it was moving and transforming were so real. It didn’t hurt that, with the kids asleep and the crowds dissipated, Hubby and I were able to sit on the ground and watch instead of craning our necks and wiping up ice cream faces.
Very nice! I love OuaT. I need to watch it again in full on a future trip!
In case anyone didn’t notice, we officially “beat” the dining plan on this day. With 2.5 days to go, including one more table service meal to come, we had saved money with the dining plan compared to the out of pocket cost of our food to date. Moreover, we hadn’t been forcing ourselves to eat, buying snacks we didn’t want, or otherwise trying to maximize dining plan credits. If you look back, we were buying what we wanted and had been mostly sharing snacks and meals. The only times we were buying for everyone were the TS which required us to use a credit for each member of our party. While I understand that the dining plan doesn’t work for a lot of people, it was awesome for us. If you’re traveling with Disney kids, planning character meals, and have adults who appreciate adult beverages, it’s worth looking into!
Congrats! Yeah, it seemed to work well for you guys!

This is hilarious. The faces on all of the girls makes it priceless!

After discussing it with Hubby, we opted to skip the Stretching Room. I didn’t want that to set them off before they managed to get on the ride.
Probably a good idea from the sound of some of the other rides so far.

e CM door to see if we were missing something. They told us to go ahead through the exit, make a left back into the ride, and there would be someone there to hand the card to. One would think that could be printed on the card, perhaps with a little map, or that the exit sign could also say “Skip Stretching Room Here”. Maybe they don’t have enough people opting out for it to be worth the trouble.
Seriously, I don't know why they don't have better signage, it's basically backstage..

About 5pm, when the shivering began in earnest, I pulled everyone out of the pool and headed up to the room. We were all five showered, dressed, and back out the door at 5:34pm, which has to be a family record. We were at the bus stop at 5:38pm, moving at 5:55pm, and found ourselves in a moderately backed up FP line at 6:22pm. This time, I insisted that I ride with only one kid so that I’d have a chance to operate my own weapon 😊
That is impressive!

When the show was over, Hubby asked if I was going to do my solo tour, but I decided against it. The kids were barely maintaining consciousness and it didn’t seem worth 90 minutes of park time to send him off to tackle the buses with three exhausted kids and a double stroller. We did opt to stay for Once Upon a Time, though, in order to allow the first wave of fireworks crowds and their subsequent bus lines to dissipate. We walked upstream of the masses and found a great spot smack dab in the middle of the hub. In the meantime, the girls finally succumbed.
We almost always try and wait out some of the crowds and try to enjoy something in the park. It is just not worth the frustration.

I hadn’t read much about OuaT. I knew it was a show on the castle where Mrs. Potts told bedtime stories, but that’s about it. The projections were incredible! The effects of making the castle look like it was moving and transforming were so real. It didn’t hurt that, with the kids asleep and the crowds dissipated, Hubby and I were able to sit on the ground and watch instead of craning our necks and wiping up ice crea
I need to try and see this properly...

I don’t think my girls have slept in a stroller since they aged out of their infant seats, but Disney had finally wiped them out! It had wiped the adults out, too, if we’re being honest. Neither of us stayed up much later than the kids before we crashed as well.
Disney will def do that to you! And good thing you went with DH!

I am still seriously in awe at your ability to navigate QS meals with so many kids!! I struggled when my two were little! You got a lot done in a day!!

The Sisters are a hoot. Your review of CP has me excited for our first visit there. We also have a late breakfast, I think 10:40.

Just finished reading through and I love your report! It is so fun to read about a first trip and it sure sounds like you planned a great one for your girls.

All of your character interactions have been wonderful. I really enjoyed the stepsisters and how they marked up the book. The girls having to verify that the princesses would in fact visit their table was also hilarious.

I agree with you about Under the Sea. I prefer it to the other Fantasyland dark rides and not sure why Peter Pan gets so much more attention. I grew up with The Little Mermaid though so maybe my sentiment is influencing me?

Looking forward to reading more!

Much to my chagrin, I don’t control the weather, so that was just the way it would have to be.

That would definitely make Disney trips easier!

Wouldn’t you know, even when faced with the prospect of ice cream for breakfast, she was mad at me for not waking her up the night before to have her own.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

It was a couple minutes wait but, once we were through, we were the only family walking through the castle wall to the back of the park.

Oo smart thinking!

I thought this was a perfectly lovely ride, especially the Under the Sea scene, and I’m not sure why it gets such a bad rap.

I agree. Little Mermaid has been my favorite since I was 2 and I don't have a strong emotional attachment to Peter Pan so maybe that's why but I don't get it either!

turns out there was a fire alarm in the castle, so BBB, CRT and Castle Couture all had to be evacuated.

Oh wow what a mess!

Instead, my little turncoats were completely charmed.

They have that effect! Meeting them is always fun!

Drizella smiled and said, “I like you girls. You’re my favorites... now, go away!” Except, my kids immediately ran to me and said, “Mommy, we’re her favorite!” and they never heard the “Go away!”

:rotfl:I love that!

That's awesome!

Around the time that B started dipping her breakfast sausage into her ice cream, she started coughing and said she was going to be sick.

Poor B! But breakfast sausage and ice cream doesn't sound like a good combo at all!

I had set out our daily plans months ago and just happened to put Splash on our hottest MK day of the trip!

Maybe you do control the weather!

This is amazing and hilarious! I love it!

I was out of there long before the understood how many snacks they were entitled to.

I never understand this. I explained the DDP to a family at the QS at Wilderness Lodge last October who were totally stunned to learn they could've been having alcohol with all of their meals. It was their second-to-last day and they knew nothing about snack credits and had 50 something!! I mean, Disney and the dining plan aren't cheap. I know not everyone are crazy planners like us, but wouldn't you at least know what you paid for!

The projections were incredible! The effects of making the castle look like it was moving and transforming were so real.

Agreed! I love OUAT!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter