1/2 day at Disney Monday 5/20

GeorgiaHoo

DIS Veteran
I'm going to be in LA for business on Monday and am thinking about spending the second half of the day at Disney Land. I should be able to get there by 4:30 or so. Been a number of years since we've been, so wondering what the crowds will be like from 4:30 until close and if it makes sense to add Max Pass (which I've never used) to the ticket. Thanks in advance for any help!

Expect it to be very crowded. Monday’s are often one of the busiest days of the week and this week in particular should be quite busy because 5/23 is the last day to use the special 3-day ticket offer. I wouldn’t decide on MaxPass until you arrive and see what fastpasses are left at that time. Download the Disneyland app ahead of time so you can check ride wait times and Fastpass availability as the day goes on.

Good suggestion above to download the DLR app. I would download it now and start playing with it to get used to it so that you can be as familiar with it as possible by Monday. You won't want to waste time trying to figure it out once you get to the parks. Also, you can purchase your tickets through the app and go straight to the gates -- saves so much time! Where will you be arriving from? Know where you'll be parking and map it out ahead of time (again, saves time!) -- if arriving from north of DLR, you'll probably be parking at the Mickey & Friends structure. If arriving from south of the parks, you'll probably be parking in the Toy Story lot. (Look at both locations on a map because there is a possibility you could be detoured from M&F to the TS lot -- it happens -- and knowing generally where you're headed can help a lot.) If you have a credit card already on file on the app, you'll be able to purchase MP as soon as you go through the turnstile -- takes about a minute. You'll also be able to use Mobile Ordering at CS locations in the parks -- another major time saver! (You can look at park menus on the DLR website ahead of time to get an idea of what is available where and what looks good to you. Don't waste time trying to figure out what you want and where to get it!) If you find that FPs aren't available for the rides you want, see if there is a SR line available. Also, MP lets you grab cancelled FPs that other guests throw back in the pool -- grab quick if you see something you want! (This thread has great MP info: "Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/) The parks are open late on Monday, so if you can stay until closing, you'll have a nice bit of time in the parks. Have a wonderful time!

Good suggestion above to download the DLR app. I would download it now and start playing with it to get used to it so that you can be as familiar with it as possible by Monday. You won't want to waste time trying to figure it out once you get to the parks. Also, you can purchase your tickets through the app and go straight to the gates -- saves so much time! Where will you be arriving from? Know where you'll be parking and map it out ahead of time (again, saves time!) -- if arriving from north of DLR, you'll probably be parking at the Mickey & Friends structure. If arriving from south of the parks, you'll probably be parking in the Toy Story lot. (Look at both locations on a map because there is a possibility you could be detoured from M&F to the TS lot -- it happens -- and knowing generally where you're headed can help a lot.) If you have a credit card already on file on the app, you'll be able to purchase MP as soon as you go through the turnstile -- takes about a minute. You'll also be able to use Mobile Ordering at CS locations in the parks -- another major time saver! (You can look at park menus on the DLR website ahead of time to get an idea of what is available where and what looks good to you. Don't waste time trying to figure out what you want and where to get it!) If you find that FPs aren't available for the rides you want, see if there is a SR line available. Also, MP lets you grab cancelled FPs that other guests throw back in the pool -- grab quick if you see something you want! (This thread has great MP info: "Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/) The parks are open late on Monday, so if you can stay until closing, you'll have a nice bit of time in the parks. Have a wonderful time!
Thanks! I'm staying in a hotel that's close to the park so will arrive on foot around 4:30.

Follow up question--which rides have single rider lines that are worth doing?

My experience, the most reliable is Space and Radiator springs racers. Although if they get too long, they will close them.

I’ve had bad luck on Indy single rider, and Matterhorn is always closed down when I try and use it. I’ve never done splash mountain single rider.

And another question--I might be able to spend an hour at the parks in the morning. California Land has morning EMH, which I won't be able to attend, so which ride should I hit first at Magic Kingdom? And is Guardians worth riding?

On edit--if I want to ride Splash, Indiana Jones, and Big Thunder in the morning, which should I do at rope drop and in which order? I'm thinking Indiana, Splash and Big Thunder.

Last edited:

Are you getting a parkhopper? I think Guardians is worth doing. If you don't mind the dropping, you should enjoy it.

Here is a tip if you are coming in the morning, and you know for sure you can come back that evening, buy maxpass, and then while you are away for work stuff, book rides for the evening. When you get back you can have rides lined up. Many people use this strategy who will come for rope drop, and then take midday breaks.

For rope drop, yes, I would do: Indiana Jones > Splash (beware you get VERY wet) > Big Thunder. I said that order so you have time to dry off if you get soaked on Splash.

Read @Skyegirl1999 thread on stacking fastpasses!
https://www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/

And another question--I might be able to spend an hour at the parks in the morning. California Land has morning EMH, which I won't be able to attend, so which ride should I hit first at Magic Kingdom? And is Guardians worth riding?

On edit--if I want to ride Splash, Indiana Jones, and Big Thunder in the morning, which should I do at rope drop and in which order? I'm thinking Indiana, Splash and Big Thunder.
If you’re thinking about going in the morning and returning at 4:30, that changes everything! Absolutely get MaxPass! You can continue collecting fastpasses throughout the day via the app to use when you return at 4:30. Definitely study SkyGirl’s MaxPass thread posted above. If you execute it properly, you can come back to lots of fastpasses to ride during the evening hours!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!