1 day at Disneyland (1st trip report)

dlawallace

I believe in the Magic!!!
My husband and I spent one day at Disneyland on Sunday 7/12. We had a wonderful time and got to experience some things I never have before. If I do not post a wait time for a ride it means we walked right on with no wait...otherwise I will post wait times for all attractions we did.

Hotel : We stayed 2 nights at the Sheraton Garden Grove hotel. I really liked everything about the hotel. We stayed on the club level which included free breakfast (some of the best hotel breakfast I have ever had). We also had access to snacks and drinks in the afternoon. Our room was a basic king room with a firm mattress and VERY comfortable pillows. Front desk was very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Transportation to Disney was via shuttle costing $3 per person per day. Service ran from the hotel every 15 and 45 minutes. We were able to take a midday break using the shuttle and it was very easy and convenient.

Disneyland : We arrived around 7:30 AM with the park opening at 8:00. Right when we got in we stood in line in front of the castle waiting for "rope drop". Our plan was to ride Peter Pan first, but we were not able to due to a large line forming immediately. We actually were stuck right behind the partners statue because the line for Peter Pan ran through the castle and into the hub. Next time I would have entered Fantasyland via the pathway by the Snow White statues/wishing well. Once we finally got through the castle we rose Storybook Canal Boats, then Nemo Subs, Space Mountain(10 minute wait), and Buzz Lightyear. Then we headed to Adventureland and rode Indiana Jones (10 minute wait) and Pirates of the Caribbean (10 minute wait). Then we grabbed a fastpass for Big Thunder Mountain and walked around Fantasyland for a bit. We wanted to take the train back to New Orleans Square so we got on at the Toontown station and got back to NOS for lunch at Blue Bayou. We had reservations at 11:30...checked in around 11:15 and were seated by 11:35. We got a table right by the water. I ordered the Monte Cristo which was really good, but maybe not as good as I remember from last time. The bread seemed a little more like a donut texture which was very rich! My husband had the steak which he liked pretty good. We got a free Mickey Mousse because it was our anniversary, which was very yummy!

After lunch we grabbed a Churro and rode Haunted Mansion, then rode Big Thunder Mountain with our fastpasses. We saw Mickeys Magical Map at 1:00 (first show of the day). I have seen this show on youtube a few times and was really excited to see it. It exceeded my expectations. Both my husband and I LOVED this show!!! I would see it again and agian! I would recommend sitting in the middle about halfway back for the best view.

It was getting very hot and crowded at this point, so we decided to go back to the hotel to charge cameras and take a short nap. On the way out we looked in a few shops and saw the Dapper Dans...LOVE them!!!! We arrived back to the park around 4:35 and the afternoon parade was going on. We decided to see Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. We really enjoyed this show as well. I had never seen it before..it was very patriotic and nostalgic...very good! Then we looked around Main Street shops again, got some candy at the candy shop (and watched the little musical machine which was cool). I got a peanut butter heaven and a cake pop. Both were pretty good, PBH was a little dry. Hubby got some cherry sours and gummy worms. We then got a seat at Coke Corner and grabbed a corn dog from the Red Wagon. We listened to the piano player and relaxed for a bit.

We then rode Snow White (10 minute wait) and Pinnochio8 minute wait), then Splash Mountain using single rider. We had to wait maybe 15 minutes using single rider on this...which is located at the exit of Splash Mountain. Hubby ended up in the same log as me though :) Splash Mountain has always been one of my favorites in the park. I think Disneyland's may be slightly better than the one at Magic Kingdom? Then we got a fastpass for Fantasmic for the 10:45 show.

Now it was time to get a spot for the parade. It was around 7:50...we went over by Small World and got a spot near the Small World entrance. we were sitting on a bench around a tree and while I held a spot, DH went to Toontown and rode Roger Rabbit and looked around a bit. The parade started at 8:50 and it was wonderful of course. At the end of the parade we tried to follow it to the hub to get a spot for the fireworks. We walked for a little bit but then were told to move to the right. We should have just stayed in that area because we got diverted through Fantasyland and had to walk all around the park through Adventureland and got a pretty crappy spot to watch the fireworks. Next time I will stay in the same spot for the fireworks that I watch the parade for sure!! We then went to get a spot for Fantasmic. We were in the blue section which is right in front of Haunted Mansion...got a seat right up against the bars, but I think I will just stand up behind the fastpass area next time. I did not like having to look through or over the bars...plus sitting on the ground was very uncomfortable for my very tall DH. He ended up running over and riding Star Tours and then watching Fantasmic from up above by the HM. He said he had a good view of the show from there!

We then rode Haunted Mansion and Pirates one more time before heading out of the park right before midnight. We had a great time and will be going back in November with our kids and my DH's family! I cant wait!!!!

Thanks! So it's not Florida summer hot :). I remember the mornings & evenings are cool but wasn't sure about daytime.

You guys accomplished a lot in 1 day! Makes me feel better about my own upcoming Summer trip; thanks for sharing!

My husband and I spent one day at Disneyland on Sunday 7/12. We had a wonderful time and got to experience some things I never have before. If I do not post a wait time for a ride it means we walked right on with no wait...otherwise I will post wait times for all attractions we did.

Hotel : We stayed 2 nights at the Sheraton Garden Grove hotel. I really liked everything about the hotel. We stayed on the club level which included free breakfast (some of the best hotel breakfast I have ever had). We also had access to snacks and drinks in the afternoon. Our room was a basic king room with a firm mattress and VERY comfortable pillows. Front desk was very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Transportation to Disney was via shuttle costing $3 per person per day. Service ran from the hotel every 15 and 45 minutes. We were able to take a midday break using the shuttle and it was very easy and convenient.

Disneyland : We arrived around 7:30 AM with the park opening at 8:00. Right when we got in we stood in line in front of the castle waiting for "rope drop". Our plan was to ride Peter Pan first, but we were not able to due to a large line forming immediately. We actually were stuck right behind the partners statue because the line for Peter Pan ran through the castle and into the hub. Next time I would have entered Fantasyland via the pathway by the Snow White statues/wishing well. Once we finally got through the castle we rose Storybook Canal Boats, then Nemo Subs, Space Mountain(10 minute wait), and Buzz Lightyear. Then we headed to Adventureland and rode Indiana Jones (10 minute wait) and Pirates of the Caribbean (10 minute wait). Then we grabbed a fastpass for Big Thunder Mountain and walked around Fantasyland for a bit. We wanted to take the train back to New Orleans Square so we got on at the Toontown station and got back to NOS for lunch at Blue Bayou. We had reservations at 11:30...checked in around 11:15 and were seated by 11:35. We got a table right by the water. I ordered the Monte Cristo which was really good, but maybe not as good as I remember from last time. The bread seemed a little more like a donut texture which was very rich! My husband had the steak which he liked pretty good. We got a free Mickey Mousse because it was our anniversary, which was very yummy!

After lunch we grabbed a Churro and rode Haunted Mansion, then rode Big Thunder Mountain with our fastpasses. We saw Mickeys Magical Map at 1:00 (first show of the day). I have seen this show on youtube a few times and was really excited to see it. It exceeded my expectations. Both my husband and I LOVED this show!!! I would see it again and agian! I would recommend sitting in the middle about halfway back for the best view.

It was getting very hot and crowded at this point, so we decided to go back to the hotel to charge cameras and take a short nap. On the way out we looked in a few shops and saw the Dapper Dans...LOVE them!!!! We arrived back to the park around 4:35 and the afternoon parade was going on. We decided to see Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. We really enjoyed this show as well. I had never seen it before..it was very patriotic and nostalgic...very good! Then we looked around Main Street shops again, got some candy at the candy shop (and watched the little musical machine which was cool). I got a peanut butter heaven and a cake pop. Both were pretty good, PBH was a little dry. Hubby got some cherry sours and gummy worms. We then got a seat at Coke Corner and grabbed a corn dog from the Red Wagon. We listened to the piano player and relaxed for a bit.

We then rode Snow White (10 minute wait) and Pinnochio8 minute wait), then Splash Mountain using single rider. We had to wait maybe 15 minutes using single rider on this...which is located at the exit of Splash Mountain. Hubby ended up in the same log as me though :) Splash Mountain has always been one of my favorites in the park. I think Disneyland's may be slightly better than the one at Magic Kingdom? Then we got a fastpass for Fantasmic for the 10:45 show.

Now it was time to get a spot for the parade. It was around 7:50...we went over by Small World and got a spot near the Small World entrance. we were sitting on a bench around a tree and while I held a spot, DH went to Toontown and rode Roger Rabbit and looked around a bit. The parade started at 8:50 and it was wonderful of course. At the end of the parade we tried to follow it to the hub to get a spot for the fireworks. We walked for a little bit but then were told to move to the right. We should have just stayed in that area because we got diverted through Fantasyland and had to walk all around the park through Adventureland and got a pretty crappy spot to watch the fireworks. Next time I will stay in the same spot for the fireworks that I watch the parade for sure!! We then went to get a spot for Fantasmic. We were in the blue section which is right in front of Haunted Mansion...got a seat right up against the bars, but I think I will just stand up behind the fastpass area next time. I did not like having to look through or over the bars...plus sitting on the ground was very uncomfortable for my very tall DH. He ended up running over and riding Star Tours and then watching Fantasmic from up above by the HM. He said he had a good view of the show from there!

We then rode Haunted Mansion and Pirates one more time before heading out of the park right before midnight. We had a great time and will be going back in November with our kids and my DH's family! I cant wait!!!!

thanks SO much for your post we are going in April to DL and have one day only!!! you make it seem possible!

Congratulations on a Full and Fun day! Nice to see there are still some days left where you can still walk on rides without a hour or so wait :duck:. Liked the comments about Blue Bayou as well. :hyper2:. Hope our next trip the rides are as easy to get on as well. Thanks for the report:thanks:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter