1 Day Only: Disney or Universal? BUT there's a catch!

1 Day Only: Disney or Universal (read story first please)

• Total voters

Leelo

Never grow up. It's a trap!
My husband and I will be in Orlando in late January for a business convention. We have 1 free day at the end of our trip. We are deciding between 1 day at MK or 1 day Park Hopping Universal.

HERE'S THE CATCH: Normally, I would pick Disney. We love it and try to go every 2-3 years but we haven't been back since 2014. HOWEVER, We booked the Poly for the entire last week of April 2017 to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. On that trip we are only doing Disney parks. So 3 months after this trip, we are going to be at Disney. On the other hand, I am a huge Harry Potter fan and we saw Hogsmeade in 2011 but have not been back since then and have never seen Diagon Alley or the Hogwarts Express. We aren't that crazy about Universal as a whole compared to Disney, but we enjoyed it pretty well. I'm stuck on the fence about which one to choose. The difference in cost is not a factor and there will be only the 2 of us on both trips, no other family members. What is your advice?

Given your scenario, I would definitely opt for Universal. Then when you go in April you will have so much stuff to look forward to instead of doing a bunch of rides/attractions at Disney then going back in 3 months. You really can't go wrong either way, but if it were me, I would do Universal, then REALLY look forward to April!

Agree with the others. Yeah, it's still a bit away, but you'll be back within a few months. If you enjoy Universal too, go there.

Yes, Universal. Since you are going to WDW in April, take that day to experience Harry Potter. Diagon Alley and Hogwart's Express are unbelievable attractions. Unparalleled in terms of theming, IMHO.

Thanks everyone! We will definitely be going to Universal then! Your input was so helpful!

There have been a few rides added to the Universal parks since 2011:
  • Skull Island: Reign of Kong (2016)
  • Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts (2014)
  • Hogwarts Express (2014)
  • Transformers: The Ride 3D (2013)
  • Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (2012)
  • Kang & Kodos' Twirl 'n' Hurl (2013)
Refurbished rides:
  • Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man (2012)
  • Incredible Hulk Coaster (2016)
Note that the Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon will open at some point in 2017.

Last edited:
So glad you chose Universal! That would be my choice too! I love HP and though that both areas of the Universal parks are beyond anything I could have imagined. So worth it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter