1 Day San Diego to DLR On Train, am I crazy!!

Thank you all for your replies. I will weigh my options, but I think the train is how I’ll go. I can leave San Diego at 5:55 am and be to Anaheim by 8:15 am, and have plenty of time in the parks if I take the 8:00 pm train back. Our hotel is only about 3 blocks from the downtown station, so that should be easy too. It’ll be an adventure, that’s for sure. :)
Your adventure sounds like so much fun! The S.D. downtown station is safe, I've ridden through there on the trolley every year for Comic Con. I'm jealous of the fun you will have. I love taking the train for something like that. And that's more than enough time to have the Disney experience you're looking for. Have a great trip!

I love the train on that route. We do the opposite and take the train from LA to San Diego (for cruises). We will be doing that again next April, just me and my son.

I agree with the poster that said after a long day at DL, riding the train back will be much more relaxing than making that drive.

Totally doable and totally safe but you won't be able to do opening to closing as we like. I often take the train up to WonderCon and it's a breeze. Driving is also pretty easy - go early, I like to leave at 5:30 AM and traffic is pretty light until Anaheim. When I leave after the park closes, it's 90 minutes. I snack on sugary treats and play my music loud.

The first concern that comes to my mind is the safety of the area where the train stations are. Sometimes bus and train stations are not in the best parts of a town. Maybe someone here can advise you on this.

Do you really believe that a train station even if it is a sketchy area is more dangerous than driving in a car?

I can only speak of the Fullerton station, but DownTown Fullerton is full of cops in every direction i drove pass DTF once, saw almost 5-6 cops. Fullerton station is safe. I think Anaheim station is also pretty quiet too at night.
The Trains themselves are pretty busy even on the last train. I wouldnt worry at all then.
San Diego station is also pretty safe. i walked the streets close to midnight to check things out and its relatively quiet.

Going by train will be safe. My kids used to take the train to San Diego every other weekend to visit their dad, and I would take them to the Anaheim station. If you do take the train you can always take a taxi or Uber to Disneyland. I'm with the 'rent a car' camp, though. I like the flexibility of time with a car. I'm also prone to exploring, so it would be easy for me to drive, spend the day at Disneyland, then drive home (Once drove from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon, then back to Phoenix to drop off a friend, then on to Burbank to drop off my other friend, before coming home to Carson, where I live. Now, THAT was a lonnnng day :) )

Do what feels best for you - either choice is a good one. :)

Either way is good.

I’m afraid of the traffic, basically. LA traffic is notoriously awful, and I’ve never driven myself in California. I won’t have a car, and would have to rent one.

Driving in SoCal is fast. And people drive aggressively. That’s all.

You’re not in LA traffic since you’ll be south of that.

Don’t get on a toll road or hov lane, and don’t hang out in the fast/passing lane.

To be honest, in your situation, I would definitely drive - you will mostly avoid traffic if you leave at 5:30 am and depart Anaheim after 8 pm

Agreed. You won’t even hit downtown traffic at those hours.

Do you really believe that a train station even if it is a sketchy area is more dangerous than driving in a car?

Having been in sketchy rr stations, yes, a bit. I’ve also walked alone to the Santa Fe station early early to do what the OP is thinking of, and it felt super-sketchy.

I was fine, but it didn’t *feel* good. I’m not sure anyone has studied the actual statistics of the two to compare. “Solo female at x rr station early in the morning vs driving” is a pretty specific study. :)

Op for the train you’ll of course also need a ride from and to the station near Disneyland.

I have taken Amtrak from San Luis down to Anaheim for DL a few times. I don’t drive in traffic either. The Anaheim station is really nice and new, I don’t worry about safety there. Unfortunately I did get “robbed” on the way home. I wasn’t paying as close attention to all my stuff and my bag got shoved under my seat. Apparently the guy behind me was able to grab it and stole my phone and wallet, including $300 in cash. By the time I realized where my bag was, he was gone and so was my stuff :( Just watch your things!!

Going by train will be safe. My kids used to take the train to San Diego every other weekend to visit their dad, and I would take them to the Anaheim station. If you do take the train you can always take a taxi or Uber to Disneyland. I'm with the 'rent a car' camp, though. I like the flexibility of time with a car. I'm also prone to exploring, so it would be easy for me to drive, spend the day at Disneyland, then drive home (Once drove from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon, then back to Phoenix to drop off a friend, then on to Burbank to drop off my other friend, before coming home to Carson, where I live. Now, THAT was a lonnnng day :) )

Do what feels best for you - either choice is a good one. :)

Thank you Mary Jo. I just wanted to say that I’ve so enjoyed listening to you on the DisUnplugged Podcast! I am a fan. :) I’m still thinking I will take the train. I really like the idea of just sitting back and letting someone else drive. I’ll take a Lyft from, and back to, the train station from Disneyland. I think it will work out just perfectly for me.

I have taken Amtrak from San Luis down to Anaheim for DL a few times. I don’t drive in traffic either. The Anaheim station is really nice and new, I don’t worry about safety there. Unfortunately I did get “robbed” on the way home. I wasn’t paying as close attention to all my stuff and my bag got shoved under my seat. Apparently the guy behind me was able to grab it and stole my phone and wallet, including $300 in cash. By the time I realized where my bag was, he was gone and so was my stuff :( Just watch your things!!

Thank you MacMama, I will be sure to stay aware of where my bag is at all times. I don’t plan on taking too much more than my 1 bag with me that has enough room for my souvenirs I’ll buy.:rolleyes1

My daughter does this. She pays extra for the executive car (?). I think that is what it is called. The sketchy people are usually not willing to pay extra to stay in that car.

While you can take a bus from the Anaheim station to DL, I'd just take a Lyft to make the trip faster.

How fun!! I always go exploring when I go with my husband to conferences! And I would TOTALLY go to Disneyland by myself if I had the chance! Oh maybe even take the Footsteps tour and really geek out!! I have no advice with transportation, I'm not sure where you are from. I live in an area with insane traffic, and I think I would probably be fine in LA traffic. But if I were less comfortable, I would think the train would be a hoot. And way more relaxing especially, as someone mentioned, on your trip back.

I looked at the train schedule and it's pretty good! Granted, you won't get a full day in the parks, but I think you'll get a lot done going it alone. And I agree that the ride back to San Diego would be a perfect time to close your eyes or at least zone out and relax. After a busy day in the park, you'll be tired and wishing you could nod off. We used to live in Tampa and often drove out to WDW for day trips. That's a similar drive and it was tough staying awake on the return drive, even with my husband there to keep me alert.

I’ve explored that option and have read that the SD to Anaheim train is notorious for being late - sometimes by several hours. I haven’t personally taken it, just passing on what I’ve found in my research. Maybe others can weigh in on how reliable they found the timing?

I’ve explored that option and have read that the SD to Anaheim train is notorious for being late - sometimes by several hours. I haven’t personally taken it, just passing on what I’ve found in my research. Maybe others can weigh in on how reliable they found the timing?
I don't know about several hours but it has been about 30 minutes late whenever I've been meeting my daughter.

That is good to know. I can manage my expectations. Thank you for sharing! It will be what it is. I still get to go to Disneyland!! :yay:

I’ve taken the train, but from north, I’ve always felt totally safe. It’s very pleasant actually. I’ve taken a taxi to the resort, or had a friend pick me up, felt safe either way.
I also drive, but yet again, from north. Three hour drive. I’ve spent most of my life here though, so I know the drive (many different routes) and I’m fine with it, often take a detour to an airport to pick up a friend. To be noted, I have pretty bad anxiety, driving can be pretty bad as a trigger. Going to Disney seems to be the time I can tolerate the drive though lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!