• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

10/1-10/5 report

DreamFlightCpt.

Mouseketeer
looks like I got of dodge just in time before Matthew came through. Went to WDW with DW, my parents, grandfather, sister and her new fiancé (more on that later).

We used my cousins wedding in Tampa as an excuse to make a family side trip to WDW after the wedding. My parents used their DVC points to get a OKW villa for all of us, however there wasn't any space available for us for the first night. No matter, we were hooked up with a villa at AKL jambo house.

I've never stayed at AKL before and even for one night I was blown away. If you're going with a larger party and can afford to do so, I highly suggest getting a 3 bedroom unit at AKL. There was a master bedroom, two other bedrooms w/2 queen beds each, and a queen size pullout bed. Full sized kitchen, dining room, and living room. Also, 4 full bathrooms. Also, 3 balconies with savannah views. Perfect spot for my morning meditation. Oh, and a pool table. That's right, a pool table with ques and balls in its own game room. The master bathroom was so large someone inventive could turn it into a 5th bedroom in a pinch. If we could've stayed there longer we would, but alas no availability to extend our stay. We will remember AKL for next time. We had a late lunch that day at the AKL quick service option, and it was pretty decent. DW and I both got pitas, she had a chicken and I got a falafel with couscous. Both delicious. On the whole, I was impressed with AKL, even if it was just one night. My only complaints are how far away from the other parks it is, and the layout of the hotel feels like a maze. Seemed like we walked a half mile to get to the room. Regardless, still would come back. Theming is amazing and AKL lives up to the what I feel is the old Disney quality.

Got to spend some time in the new Disney Springs, and I'm impressed. First time we were there, it downpoured for a couple hours, so didn't get to spend much time wandering. Second time we were there, got to explore more. DW likes Splitsville, so we went there for a few frames and had dinner, good family fun all around. Their Hawaiian pizza is tops. Walked around a little afterwards and was glad to see the old Downtown Disney was still around and incorporated into the new Springs aesthetic. Seems like they reorganized world of Disney as well and I must say the people traffic flow was much improved over how I remembered it last (about 2 years ago). The premium name brand shopping adds much to what I think Springs lacked in the past and opens it up to a wider audience. Uniqlo should be checked out for unique clothing merchandise you can't find anywhere else on property.

The third time we went back, DW and I stopped off at Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar. This was really the only thing I "had" to do on this trip and I was glad we did. The main bar area was much smaller than I anticipated but there was plenty of outdoor seating. I'm not complaining about this since it lended much to the feel I think the imagineers were going for. Being an aviation professional and a big Indy fan, I knew I'd probably like this place no matter what. Take some time to read the news clippings all over the wall, and even read through the logbook menu. Lots of interesting eye candy, along with all the artifacts on the walls. Pete Werener once said on Dis Unplugged you go to JLHB for the drinks, not so much the food. I'd tend to agree. We were there at the start of happy hour and ordered drinks and food. Tuna tacos and nachos were had, tacos were pretty good, nachos could have been better. For drinks DW ordered a Scottish Professor, and their version of a Moscow mule. I ordered a Cool Headed Monkey ( basically a rum punch) and their version of a Long Island iced tea. All were excellent. We got a third round two, DW with another mule and I went for a non alcoholic Teddy's Tea which was refreshing. All in all, great cocktail experience, don't go there expecting a full dining experience. Good place for pre or post dinner drinks with finger foods to soak up the excess booze. Would totally go back again.

Food and Wine was going on when I was there. I rarely find something wrong with these event, except for the time frame we were there, it was way to hot to fully enjoy the food. Last time we experienced food and wine it was in mid November so it was a little cooler, this time of year was way to hot, at least for the kinds of food most booths were serving. A lot of it seemed very heavy for the kind of weather. Lots of heavy protein and sauce based dishes, not a lot seemed appetizing when you're already sweating through your shirt standing in line for the food. Did have a steamed duck bun from China, lettuce pork wrap from Korea, Greek nachos and gyros from Greece, fried hummus, and a couple other things that escape me currently. Did not go for the cheddar soup at Canada. I would've lost it all walking around the world showcase in 92 degree weather. Did try an extremely refreshing grapefruit beer in Germany though. Had heard it was good and had to try it for myself. Not really a part of the festival, but highly recommended.

Went on the new soarin and Frozen. Soarin was great, seemed a little short compared to the old version though. Waited about 50 minutes for Frozen, and while it was nice, it just seems like the crammed a frozen ride into the space just to do it. He best part was the que line, theming was great, and the animatronic characters were done well but everything else seemed like it was slapped there just to have a frozen attraction. Don't really need to ride it again, which is unfortunate since Maelstrom was always on my to do list.

Word of advice for EPCOT if you find your self towards the first few weeks of Food & Wine, go towards the evening. The heat is much less oppressive and the crowds are more bearable. Makes much more of the food options desireable. Also very impressed with the added table space. Do wish they would do something with innoventions though. Sad to see virtually nothing there when it used to showcase great visions of what could be.

Spent a few hours in DHS. Did star tours twice, the force awakens overlay was done well, but will annoy the heck out of true star wars fans. Ride it and you'll see what I mean. The Launch Bay was pretty cool, great character interactions and a ton of great props and models on display. Caught Indy Stunt Spectacular before it goes for good and glad to see it keeps he same slap bang charm. I'm always a sucker for that show. Rode toy story mania with fp+ and checked out the TCM overlay in the great movie ride. They did a great job with the preview movie, ride narration and the ending movie. I hop that sticks around for a while. Didn't stay too long at DHS since there really isn't much to do there now. I hope all the destruction and construction is worth it.

MNSSHP was awesome. Personally, not to into shows and parades, but both recieved rave reviews from my parents and sister. The ticket for the party is worth it to me for the increased access to attractions. Was able to do most of our favorites at least twice with limited wait. plus all the free candy you want. It was good candy too haha. The fireworks for the party were top notch. Also it was really fun watching everyone in their amazing costumes. The party has something for everyone and worth the price.

And finally, my sister got engaged this trip. Her fiancé took us all up to the top of the world lounge at bay lake tower. Standard Disney cocktails there, but you can't beat the view. He proposed during fireworks and she was definitely shocked. Good times had by all. I didn't know it was going to happen until about 30 mins beforehand. In true Disney fashion, staff pulled out a magical moment for this occasion. After the fireworks we grabbed some flatbreads down at the contempo cafe and somehow the staff found out they got engaged. They brought out a desert tray for everyone and announced to the whole Grand Canyon concourse the exciting news. Glad to see they got to share a special moment at one of the most exciting times in their life. 2 years before hand DW and I got engaged outside the France pavilion during illuminations and were treated to some French chocolates and champagne courtesy of the CMs there.

Didn't go to AK, too hot. Sorry if this is a little long, but that's it in a nutshell. I hadn't been on property for more than a year so I took everything I could. Any questions, feel free to ask away and thanks for reading!

I agree about the weather and eating the food at Food and Wine. Did you do Star Tours back to back? That ride made me feel so sick to my stomach I vowed, never again.

P.S. Tell your sister congratulations!

I agree about the weather and eating the food at Food and Wine. Did you do Star Tours back to back? That ride made me feel so sick to my stomach I vowed, never again.

P.S. Tell your sister congratulations!

Yes we did haha. The first time we sat towards the front, then we sat in the last row and it's two entirely different experiences. DW and I also did space mountain twice in a row and we had to call it quits on the last go around lol

looks like I got of dodge just in time before Matthew came through. Went to WDW with DW, my parents, grandfather, sister and her new fiancé (more on that later).

We used my cousins wedding in Tampa as an excuse to make a family side trip to WDW after the wedding. My parents used their DVC points to get a OKW villa for all of us, however there wasn't any space available for us for the first night. No matter, we were hooked up with a villa at AKL jambo house.

I've never stayed at AKL before and even for one night I was blown away. If you're going with a larger party and can afford to do so, I highly suggest getting a 3 bedroom unit at AKL. There was a master bedroom, two other bedrooms w/2 queen beds each, and a queen size pullout bed. Full sized kitchen, dining room, and living room. Also, 4 full bathrooms. Also, 3 balconies with savannah views. Perfect spot for my morning meditation. Oh, and a pool table. That's right, a pool table with ques and balls in its own game room. The master bathroom was so large someone inventive could turn it into a 5th bedroom in a pinch. If we could've stayed there longer we would, but alas no availability to extend our stay. We will remember AKL for next time. We had a late lunch that day at the AKL quick service option, and it was pretty decent. DW and I both got pitas, she had a chicken and I got a falafel with couscous. Both delicious. On the whole, I was impressed with AKL, even if it was just one night. My only complaints are how far away from the other parks it is, and the layout of the hotel feels like a maze. Seemed like we walked a half mile to get to the room. Regardless, still would come back. Theming is amazing and AKL lives up to the what I feel is the old Disney quality.

Got to spend some time in the new Disney Springs, and I'm impressed. First time we were there, it downpoured for a couple hours, so didn't get to spend much time wandering. Second time we were there, got to explore more. DW likes Splitsville, so we went there for a few frames and had dinner, good family fun all around. Their Hawaiian pizza is tops. Walked around a little afterwards and was glad to see the old Downtown Disney was still around and incorporated into the new Springs aesthetic. Seems like they reorganized world of Disney as well and I must say the people traffic flow was much improved over how I remembered it last (about 2 years ago). The premium name brand shopping adds much to what I think Springs lacked in the past and opens it up to a wider audience. Uniqlo should be checked out for unique clothing merchandise you can't find anywhere else on property.

The third time we went back, DW and I stopped off at Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar. This was really the only thing I "had" to do on this trip and I was glad we did. The main bar area was much smaller than I anticipated but there was plenty of outdoor seating. I'm not complaining about this since it lended much to the feel I think the imagineers were going for. Being an aviation professional and a big Indy fan, I knew I'd probably like this place no matter what. Take some time to read the news clippings all over the wall, and even read through the logbook menu. Lots of interesting eye candy, along with all the artifacts on the walls. Pete Werener once said on Dis Unplugged you go to JLHB for the drinks, not so much the food. I'd tend to agree. We were there at the start of happy hour and ordered drinks and food. Tuna tacos and nachos were had, tacos were pretty good, nachos could have been better. For drinks DW ordered a Scottish Professor, and their version of a Moscow mule. I ordered a Cool Headed Monkey ( basically a rum punch) and their version of a Long Island iced tea. All were excellent. We got a third round two, DW with another mule and I went for a non alcoholic Teddy's Tea which was refreshing. All in all, great cocktail experience, don't go there expecting a full dining experience. Good place for pre or post dinner drinks with finger foods to soak up the excess booze. Would totally go back again.

Food and Wine was going on when I was there. I rarely find something wrong with these event, except for the time frame we were there, it was way to hot to fully enjoy the food. Last time we experienced food and wine it was in mid November so it was a little cooler, this time of year was way to hot, at least for the kinds of food most booths were serving. A lot of it seemed very heavy for the kind of weather. Lots of heavy protein and sauce based dishes, not a lot seemed appetizing when you're already sweating through your shirt standing in line for the food. Did have a steamed duck bun from China, lettuce pork wrap from Korea, Greek nachos and gyros from Greece, fried hummus, and a couple other things that escape me currently. Did not go for the cheddar soup at Canada. I would've lost it all walking around the world showcase in 92 degree weather. Did try an extremely refreshing grapefruit beer in Germany though. Had heard it was good and had to try it for myself. Not really a part of the festival, but highly recommended.

Went on the new soarin and Frozen. Soarin was great, seemed a little short compared to the old version though. Waited about 50 minutes for Frozen, and while it was nice, it just seems like the crammed a frozen ride into the space just to do it. He best part was the que line, theming was great, and the animatronic characters were done well but everything else seemed like it was slapped there just to have a frozen attraction. Don't really need to ride it again, which is unfortunate since Maelstrom was always on my to do list.

Word of advice for EPCOT if you find your self towards the first few weeks of Food & Wine, go towards the evening. The heat is much less oppressive and the crowds are more bearable. Makes much more of the food options desireable. Also very impressed with the added table space. Do wish they would do something with innoventions though. Sad to see virtually nothing there when it used to showcase great visions of what could be.

Spent a few hours in DHS. Did star tours twice, the force awakens overlay was done well, but will annoy the heck out of true star wars fans. Ride it and you'll see what I mean. The Launch Bay was pretty cool, great character interactions and a ton of great props and models on display. Caught Indy Stunt Spectacular before it goes for good and glad to see it keeps he same slap bang charm. I'm always a sucker for that show. Rode toy story mania with fp+ and checked out the TCM overlay in the great movie ride. They did a great job with the preview movie, ride narration and the ending movie. I hop that sticks around for a while. Didn't stay too long at DHS since there really isn't much to do there now. I hope all the destruction and construction is worth it.

MNSSHP was awesome. Personally, not to into shows and parades, but both recieved rave reviews from my parents and sister. The ticket for the party is worth it to me for the increased access to attractions. Was able to do most of our favorites at least twice with limited wait. plus all the free candy you want. It was good candy too haha. The fireworks for the party were top notch. Also it was really fun watching everyone in their amazing costumes. The party has something for everyone and worth the price.

And finally, my sister got engaged this trip. Her fiancé took us all up to the top of the world lounge at bay lake tower. Standard Disney cocktails there, but you can't beat the view. He proposed during fireworks and she was definitely shocked. Good times had by all. I didn't know it was going to happen until about 30 mins beforehand. In true Disney fashion, staff pulled out a magical moment for this occasion. After the fireworks we grabbed some flatbreads down at the contempo cafe and somehow the staff found out they got engaged. They brought out a desert tray for everyone and announced to the whole Grand Canyon concourse the exciting news. Glad to see they got to share a special moment at one of the most exciting times in their life. 2 years before hand DW and I got engaged outside the France pavilion during illuminations and were treated to some French chocolates and champagne courtesy of the CMs there.

Didn't go to AK, too hot. Sorry if this is a little long, but that's it in a nutshell. I hadn't been on property for more than a year so I took everything I could. Any questions, feel free to ask away and thanks for reading!

Congratulations to your sister and her fiancé!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter