• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

10/7-10/8 Long Version

dlavender

DIS Veteran
Hello!

I wrote a brief synopsis of our first AP weekend trip in the TP&S section.

I thought I'd write a little longer review here to note a few things that were a tad frustrating for us.

I'll start with our first day at EPCOT.

Some quick background, I've been to the world over a hundred times, as I grew up in Central FL. DW had only been a few times, before I whisked her away and made her a huge fan. We have three kids, ages 9, 5, and 3. We just moved back to FL from TN, and decided last week to go all in on some AP's! We decided to make last weekend our first quick trip back to the world in 2 years.

Planning - This part was seriously lacking, but we just bought our AP's last Tuesday, and weren't overly concerned with doing a lot, just wanted to get our beaks wet. We looked into an onsite stay, but only thing that was available was a $500 YC room, not happening! Stayed down the road in a 2 BR suite for $140. Since we had plans Sat morning, we wouldn't be at the World until around 3, so we decided on EPCOT. F&W is insanely popular, so we thought we'd give it a try. We made FP's for SE, Nemo, and Test Track. The forecast called for storms in the evening, so we came prepared with ponchos and umbrellas.

We got the to ticket window at 3, and quickly got our AP's activated. Bag check was quick, and I was excited to get inside the gates. This is where we encountered Bob. Bob was not having a good time at his ticket post. WDW's policy is to have each passholder have an image of their fingerprint taken so that you can't allow others to use your pass. I get it. But having a 5 and 3 year old hold their finger in the right position for this to happen can be a little tricky. Bob had absolutely no patience for this. I find it hard to believe that we were the first ones in the gate that day with children. He actually raised his voice at my 3 year old to "hold still". We are both lucky that DW did not hear the interaction as she was helping our 5 year old. I gave Bob a look, and took a deep breath as I wasn't going to get ruffled at the start of our first day as AP holders, and our first day back in the parks after a 2 year hiatus. We got through the experience, but I can't understand why it had to be that tense. That guy was terrible. Maybe his attitude works for him at his first job where he processes inmates. But, if he'd take a peek at the big ball behind him, he'd notice he wasn't at the jail anymore.....

Moving on from Bob, we went to SE to use our first FP. The kids really enjoyed it. Only took about 5 mins to get on. From here, we went to Nemo. Used our FP there (not really necessary). Our oldest didn't really like it, but the younger two thought it was great. We looked around the seas for a bit, and decided to get walking around the IG for some F&W. Our first stop was at the Caribbean booth. The patties were ok, but the portions were awful. Below was our first wine of the event, and it comes straight from a box. Disclaimer, I'm not a giant, so the glass shouldn't be this small in my hand:

upload_2017-10-9_8-13-1.png

$6 for that?!

We went on to try 10 different booths. They were hit or miss, but I wasn't overly impressed with anything outside of the passion fruit slush from France.

We ran into the storm, but kept powering through. We met Elsa and Anna, Rode the Mexico ride, went on Soarin, and watched Illuminations. (Test Track was rained out)

Our final verdict is to skip F&W. It wasn't the crowds or the weather - we were prepared for that. For us, it's just not that great of an event. The value is not there. Most of it seems to be just mass produced offerings that aren't really that special. And giving boxed wine in a 4oz pour is just sad. There are a few good offerings, but you would really have to do some good planning out to find out what those are in advance. We gave it our best. Tried a lot. But I don't get how it's amassed the following it has. Just isn't our thing, I guess.

On to the MK the next day!

Last edited:
Originally, we planned on heading to HS Sunday, but while at EPCOT, the kids kept asking when we would get to another ride! We decided that HS was going to be too show heavy for them, so at 11PM we decided the next day should be spent at the one and only, Magic Kingdom! I was able to get a FP for Pooh and Dumbo the night before.

We arrived at the MK at 8:45 - much later than we normally would, but we had a late night!

Going through the ticket gate was a little adventure, as you guessed it, the 3 and 5 yr old's fingerprint was not reading correctly. The attendant called a supervisor over who took a picture of the kids with an IPAD and let us through. I really dread going through the ticket gates now. Can't they get monitors or something for the attendants to see the guests faces when they tap the Mickey? Are we going to have to wait for the supervisor everytime now? Oh, well.

Slight hiccup aside, we started our adventure down Main Street. This is where the crowds were already being felt. The lines for the photographers were each about 10 families deep. The wait for starbucks was down the sidewalk! We went to Adventureland, and thought we might jump on JC since it was still early. Nope, 105 minute wait at 9:30! So we audibled to a ride on Aladdin's carpets. Only 25 mins.....

From there, we went to PoTC. 55 minute posted wait. The ride broke down right before it was our turn to board the boat, so the real wait went from right at 55 to a solid 75. When we got off, posted wait was 80 mins.

From there, we fought our way through FL to our Dumbo FP. After that, we used our FP's on Pooh. It was almost 2, and it was scorching outside. Like middle of July heat. We decided we'd sit down at Cosmic Ray's and grab a lunch and reevaluate our plans. We approached Cosmic Rays, and noticed a line outside. A CM was handing out menus, and letting people know there was a 10 minute wait just to get inside, just to wait in line to order, to then wait in line to get a seat. Um, this is when DW and I looked at each other and said, let's call it a day. The kids were slightly upset, but we explained the AP situation and how they were going to come back many times (just never ever again on Columbus day weekend).

The wait for the Monorail was short, and we were back at our car by 2:30.

We ate lunch at Kobe before heading back home. After lunch I checked the app, Space Mountain was at 180 mins, Mine train at 200, and IASW at 60!

I've never been at Christmas, but I have been on New Year's Day, New Year's Eve, July 4th, Spring Break, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, Presidents Day, MLK Day, and have never ever seen the MK as packed out as it was this day. It was insane. But now we know!

Can't wait for AP weekend #2!

Yikes! Sorry it didn't go as well as you hoped.
I'm sure next time will be better!

I think it will be.

This was our first trip to the MK without being at rope drop. So in a way its our own fault.

At least we learned that RD is a must, and Columbus day weekend is nothing to play around with!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter