"10 BEST frozen dinners"

ohMom

Kids Get Arthritis Too!
Frozen Meals: Warm Up to Our 10 Best Entrees

WebMD Feature from eDiets.comCarolina Diaz-Bordon
eDiets.com Staff Writer

Frozen microwavable meals and health advocates are now able to come together in feast, I mean peace. The demand for convenient meals in today's fast-paced world is high, but so is the need for balanced nutrition.

But with careful probing of food labels, it's easier than ever to enjoy not only healthy, but also delicious, frozen dinners in three minutes or less.

With more than $40 billion in annual sales, frozen foods make up about one-third of total food-service sales, according to the American Frozen Food Institute. The numbers suggest we are definitely not chilling in our enthusiasm for a quick meal, whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner.

The best way to become frozen-food savvy is to check the nutrition label. Manufacturers are required to list the most prominent ingredients first and all others in descending order.
Becky Billingsley, CEO of the Food Syndicate says, “Read the nutrition facts label before you buy because something that sounds healthy could be oozing with fat. Often frozen meals are also infused with sodium, so if you’re concerned about sodium intake, be aware of that.”

Another important health tip to keep in mind is variety. It’s not just your taste buds that crave diversity in your meals. Your body also begs for change. The keys to good nutrition are balance, moderation and variety. Luckily, there’s an abundance of high-quality frozen meals. Studies continue to show frozen meals are packed with nutrition. Frozen fruits and vegetables, for example, are sometimes the best buys you can make because they are rich in nutrients and, in some cases, more nutritious than fresh produce.

Taste, convenience and nutrition -- it’s hard to ask for more. Here’s a list, provided by Billingsley, of 10 of the most delicious microwavable meals you will find in the frozen food aisle:

Birds Eye Voila! Chicken & Meatball Italiano with Vegetables
While the meatballs are only the size of large blueberries, the vibrant fresh flavors of this dish are fantastic. You get penne pasta with grilled chicken, meatballs, Italian green beans, red bell peppers, tomato chunks and mushrooms. The sauce comes in a separate packet, which is a nice touch. The serving size is one cup, and the package contains three servings. I add fruit and/or a salad to the meal to feel satisfied.
Nutrition: 280 calories, 9g fat (2.5 saturated), 15mg cholesterol, 760mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (4 fiber, 10 sugars) and 14g protein.

Contessa Shrimp Mediterranean
Oh, baby. I counted 25 medium-sized shrimp mixed in with red and green bell peppers, tomato chunks and kalamata olives. The marinara sauce and linguini are in separate packets. You may think that since this package contains three servings, the pasta portion is skimpy, but you have to remember a serving of cooked pasta is half a cup. Mix up a salad and you’ll have a terrific meal.
Nutrition: 180 calories, 3g fat (zero saturated), 50mg cholesterol, 920mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3 fiber, 6 sugars) and 11g protein.

Healthy Choice Mushroom Roasted Beef
You get gravy! And noodles! With only 8 grams of fat! Talk about a balanced meal: You’ve got vegetables (green beans and carrots), meat (decent-sized chunks of beef), starch (curly egg noodles), fungus (mushrooms) and gravy (all right, so gravy isn’t a food group, but it should be).
Nutrition: 280 calories, 8g fat (3 sat., 2 poly., 3 mono.), 60mg cholesterol, 600mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5 fiber, 4 sugars) and 23g protein.

Lean Pockets Subs, Philly Steak & Cheese
This is a great meal on the go, especially if you also have a piece of fresh fruit. It features soft bread and a satisfying amount of beef surrounded by plenty of gooey low-fat mozzarella cheese. One sandwich (one serving) is ready to eat after less than 2 minutes in the microwave. You get two subs in the package.
Nutrition: 300 calories, 7g fat (2 sat.), 20mg cholesterol, 760mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (4 fiber, 3 sugars) and 17g protein.

Michelina’s Lean Gourmet Chicken Alfredo Florentine
This would be a more balanced meal choice with additional spinach. But for fans of Alfredo sauce who thought they’d never see the cheesy delicacy included in a healthy diet, it’s a welcome treat.
Nutrition: 270 calories, 6g fat (3 sat.), 40mg cholesterol, 610mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (2 fiber, 5 sugars) and 15g protein.

South Beach Diet Mediterranean Style Chicken with Couscous
Talk about delicious! I like everything about this meal. The chicken is tender and juicy, the sauce is well-seasoned and the couscous contains diced vegetables and pine nuts. I can’t wait to try other flavors in Kraft’s South Beach Diet line, such as Savory Beef with Cheesy Broccoli and Savory Pork with Pecans and Green Beans.
Nutrition: 330 calories, 12g fat (2.5 sat., 5 poly., 4 mono.), 75mg cholesterol, 960mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3 fiber, 5 sugars) and 30g protein.

Stouffer’s Lean Cuisine Salmon with Basil
I try to eat salmon at least once a week for its healthy Omega-3 oils, and because I like it. This new dish from Stouffer’s will be a staple in my freezer. The orzo pasta is whole grain, while the five wild salmon chunks (each about two bites’ worth) are tender and flaky. The spinach and julienne yellow and orange carrots are deliciously healthy and the basil sauce divine.
Nutrition: 260 calories, 7g fat (2 sat., 2 poly., 2 mono.), 30mg cholesterol, 640mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5 fiber, 7 sugars) and 17g protein.

Stouffer’s Skillets Garlic Chicken
If you like garlic, you’ll love this buttery, garlicky dish with spiral pasta, chicken chunks, broccoli, carrots, peas and onions. The package contains two generous servings.
Nutrition: 330 calories, 5g fat (2.5 sat.), 50mg cholesterol, 1,170mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (3 fiber, 5 sugars) and 24g protein.

Uncle Ben’s Bowls Grilled Chicken Caesar
I can’t say I love broccoli by itself, but I do like broccoli that has been jazzed up by a capable chef. This bowl from Uncle Ben is a keeper, with lovely long grain and wild rice topped with roasted chicken strips, broccoli, carrots and creamy garlicky Caesar sauce.
Nutrition: 310 calories, 4g fat (1.5 sat.), 35mg cholesterol, 1,090mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (2 fiber, 7 sugars) and 22g protein.

Weight Watchers Smart Ones Macaroni & Cheese
I finally found macaroni and cheese that won’t make me feel guilty after eating it. The pasta is tender, the sauce is decadently creamy and the portion size is generous. I top it with fresh cracked black pepper for extra zing. Of course, I add fruit and/or vegetables to make this a balanced meal.
Nutrition: 240 calories, 2.5g fat (1 sat., 0.5 poly., 0.5 mono.), 10mg cholesterol, 800mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (3 fiber, 6 sugars) and 10g protein.

Link to article here

Thanks for the article. I have not tried any of the ones they listed. I will have to make an effort to try a few in the next month or so. I take a frozen meal to work for lunch most days so I am always looking for some good ones. I think my Top 10 would be:

1. Lean Cuisine Sesame Chicken
2. Lean Cuisine Southwest Chicken Panini (with some hot sauce added...yum!)
3. Lean Cuisine Pepperoni Pizza
4. Lean Cuisine Chicken Club Panini
5. Smart Ones Calzone Italiano (this one is new and really good - it is like a Hot Pocket)
6. Smart Ones Rice & Beans
7. Lean Cuisine Chicken Enchilada Suiza
8. Lean Cuisine BBQ Chicken Pizza
9. Lean Cuisine Glazed Chicken
10. Lean Cuisine Deluxe Pizza

As you can see I tend to like the Lean Cuisines especially the paninis and pizzas. I find that eating a small breakfast and one of these meals for lunch really helps since I have quite a few calories left over by dinnertime. It gives me more choices in the evening if I am feeling particularly hungry at night.

My favorites would be:

Lean Cuisine Roasted Turkey with cornbread stuffing and cinnamon apples
Weight Watchers Cheese and Chicken Quesidillas (TOTALLY AWESOME)
Lean Pockets 4 cheese for meatball pockets
Lean Cuisine Garlic Chicken flatbread pizza or barbecue chicken pizza
Lean Cuisine Panini (any of them!!!)

I also really like the WW Smart Ones desserts-the key lime cheesecake is out of this world!!!

Thanks for the article. I've had the contessa shrimp meal. And yes there are a lot of shrimp, BUT they are tiny!!! Miniscule! but overall it was good.

My favorites are Lean Cuisine Herb roasted Chicken and it's only 3 WW points!

And I also like healthy choice bowtie pasta with shrimp in an alfredo sauce. Drain off the water after heating before mixing and the sauce is creamier.

Here's a question for all you frozen meal eaters. Do you ever get the spongy chicken? Argh! it is so gross. I've noticed it a lot with Smart ones and Healthy choice. So I've stopped buying chicken meals from them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter