10 Day Trip Report - Aulani and Grand Wailea (Maui)

Enjoy your report so far. We are doing the almost exact reverse of your itinerary. We are at the 3rd day of Grand Wailea in Maui right now and will be flying over to Aulani for 6 more nights later. We are Aulani owners and this will be our 3rd trip to Aulani. It does feel much like "home" at Aulani. Glad it hasn't changed much since our last visit.

Hopefully you have a car in Maui because food at Grand Wailea will be spendy. There are lots more food choices at Kihei area (about 10-15 minutes north). Let Yelp be your guide, but we can at least recommend Kihei Caffe and Cafe O'Lei Kihei. Variation of Loco Moco is the best breakfast invention at Hawaii.

In case your kids are into seeing sea turtles (and didn't see them at the spot next door to Aulani). We can also recommend a small park around Kihei area. Kalepolepo Beach Park has a shallow seawall sheltered area where sea turtles like to rest at. We saw at least 6 at various time. Knee deep water with calm waves (don't let the picture fool you). One note of caution with waves at Grand Wailea, unlike Aulani, the waves are strong and high in the afternoon. Watch your younger ones.

Thanks for the note. We are home now. And we ate often in Kihei. We liked Cafe O’lei and Coconuts! And not to spoil the upcoming trip report we saw lots of turtles on our snorkeling trip in Maui, but also saw at least 5 turtles cruising Grand Wailea beach, no joke, probably 5-7 ft from the shore. No deeper than waist high water. It was awesome!

Thanks for the note. We are home now. And we ate often in Kihei. We liked Cafe O’lei and Coconuts! And not to spoil the upcoming trip report we saw lots of turtles on our snorkeling trip in Maui, but also saw at least 5 turtles cruising Grand Wailea beach, no joke, probably 5-7 ft from the shore. No deeper than waist high water. It was awesome!

I'm in for the report!

Speaking of Coconuts (we went to one in Kihei) - I thought it was the best fish taco of any I have had (in Hawaii, SoCal, or otherwise.) That should be in my next report installment tonight.

Love your report! Following!
Love your trip report! Thanks for sharing. One non-trip report related question, where did the Mexican food near the LA airport come from? It looked totally amazing :) I go to LA for work and I'd love to try it!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I’m enjoying reading along! I head to Aulani for the first time with my husband and young daughter for the first time in March. I’ll be curious to see if she has a preference for the beach vs the pools like your kids did.

Love your trip report! Thanks for sharing. One non-trip report related question, where did the Mexican food near the LA airport come from? It looked totally amazing :) I go to LA for work and I'd love to try it!
El Tarasco.

Sorry. Removed link, not sure I’m allowed to link.

Day 6 Transfer day to Maui

I woke up very early to get some photography of the grounds. Also headed out to the point to catch the sunrise over the property. Here are some shots. Wish I had done this earlier, as there are some additional shots I realized I wanted after the fact.

DW and I went and purchased our pictures packages (also another thread complaint about the pictures coming on CDs vs a USB. So I can’t even verify we got the right pictures as my MBPro doesn’t have a disk drive. I do have one at home though.)

We packed up the van and headed to the airport. Gassed it up, caught the tram back, all very easy. Then it took a turn for the worse. The Southwest counter was a MESS. HUGE line, no differentiation between bag drop off and full service. Luckily I’ve got status so I went to the status line, but that was a mess. Took us over 20 min to get helped (and we were at the front of the line!) One guy (local) who was either inebriated or on something just walked up, the customer service person chastised him for cutting the long line, but still helped him, and proceeded to yell at me for not using the bag drop line. (Which was about 50 people long). Then said if someone’s in front of her she has to help them…which is total BS, I’ve seen plenty a gate attendant turn someone away who was in the wrong line. -Ok, entitled rant over.

Get bags checked, get boarding passes, then its a LOOOOOOOOONG walk to the southwest gates. They are basically the furthest gates from the checkin/security area. They are in a whole other terminal, that they’ve blocked access to, from the outside, and now made it like an extension of terminal 2. Got on the plane, we left about 30 min late, arriving about 15 min late. Not too bad EXCEPT, that meant we landed at the same time as a number of mainland flights. Took about 45 min to get our bags, then another 45 min to get our rental car. All in about a 5 hour door to door transfer.

At this point we also met NN and GP at the airport, to get GP signed on as a driver of the mini-van, so they can take the kids one night and DW and I can get a date night! FINALLY!

We stopped in Kihei for a late lunch at Coconuts. DW and I, loved our fish tacos. Boys did not care for their steak tacos, mainly cause they had coleslaw and mango relish. They wanted good ol street tacos, which isn’t what these were. But they were still good. Kids just ordered wrong. Check out BigTex's trip report for a picture of the fish tacos. I agree it was pretty darn good.

Finally got to check in at the Grand Wailea. Grounds are beautiful. Different than Aulani, but just as beautiful. More tranquil. Less going on. And the whole property is just larger so there’s more room to spread out. Got upgraded to ocean view, which was nice, especially since this whole stay was with points. Walked the property, kids swam for a bit, grabbed a couple Mai Tai’s and then found the quick service/to go restaurant for an easy (cheap-er ish) dinner. Saw the beautiful colors of the sunset, and off to bed.

(NOTE: these were contraband rock jumps. Kids were told shortly after this not to jump. Glad I got the pics!)

That was crazy how long it took to get checked in at the airport!! Glad you made it to your next destination :)

I saw the pics of the kids jumping off the rocks and my first thought was "that doesn't look safe!" :scared: At least you captured a couple of pics!

El Tarasco.

Sorry. Removed link, not sure I’m allowed to link.
Thanks for letting me know. I can’t wait to try it . Your burrito looked amazing! This is probably a stupid question, but I usually land around 9:30pm LA time. Is it in an area that is ok to go alone at night if I don’t know the area? Thx

Thanks for the shout out regarding Coconuts - those were my favorite fish tacos of all time (but Paia Fish Market was a close second for me.)

The Grand Wailea looks awesome. I loved Wailea Beach Resort Marriott, and it looks like a similarly appointed resort. I agree with the assessment that the Wailea resort(s) is(are) similar to Aulani. Just like I thought the whole Wailea area was similar to Ko'Olina.

Regarding the airport terminal being spread out at Honolulu - I have a story from our return flight on Day 10. Lesson to be taught on multiple flights. :P

Loving your trip report! We were at Aulani in Nov 2017 and will be at the Grand Wailea over New Year's. I'm looking forward to comparing the two and hearing more about your stay at the GW. Thanks for sharing!

Day 7 - Grand Wailea Pool Day and Luau

So relaxation is really starting to set in. As such my trip report writing has waned. I am technically writing this from home, so the trip is over. As much as I tried, I couldn’t keep it up. Also was a little harder now that we are in a hotel room vs a villa.

But here we go. NN and GP were on duty to get chairs today. They got down and a unfortunately a storm rolled in and there was a lightning strike so they shut the pool and beach down, not giving out any towels or lounge chairs. So we grabbed breakfast before heading out around 10, at which time everything was open. Luckily we were able to get good group of lounge chairs by the lazy river and the Tarzan swing. Kids probably spent the first hour on the tarzan swing. They had a blast. Then we moved to the pools and lazy river. Now this lazy “river” is not really a circuit but more of a way of connecting the various pools together with mini slides. It was a lot of fun to start at the top pool and work your way down to the beach side pool. We had lunch and drinks at our chairs, and then continued the fun pool day. We did do the water elevator which was quite a trip and when you hear the reason it was created makes it even more a marvel.

After that we pretty much shut it down for the day as we had the luau this night. The luau we attend was the Grand Luau at Honua’ula, aka the Grand Wailea Luau. Now as everyone on here would state, the Old Lahaina Luau is the Gold standard, and we’ve been. And oddly enough we were on the waitlist and got called the day before, but we decided the convenience of walking downstairs, enjoying the luau and the open bar, and then walking up to our room, outweighed going to the best. And it was a good not great show. The other thing this show had was the fire knife dancer, which isn’t traditionally hawaiian, but J3 really wanted to see a fire dancer. And he didn’t disappoint. After the show it was up to bed, because we had an early morning date with Mokini snorkeling.

Sounds like the perfect trip! Been to both places & they are both wonderful! 🙌😍

Not been to Aulani yet, but loved Grand Wailea...Hoping to have as good an experience at Aulani. Going in October and hoping for a relaxing stay. We are two seniors and just want to relax at a beautiful resort.

Not been to Aulani yet, but loved Grand Wailea...Hoping to have as good an experience at Aulani. Going in October and hoping for a relaxing stay. We are two seniors and just want to relax at a beautiful resort.
You will L❤VE it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter