10 days to go and I'm sick.....

CWIPPERMAN

<font color=FF99FF>You don't have to be clever and
HELP!!!

Just over 10 days to go and I'm home sick. I don't know what I have, but it is nasty. My girlfriend was home for an entire week (last week) with it. She is getting over it, but still feels bad. She went to the doctor twice and neither time got a prescription... they just told her to rest and drink fluids. I have been a long believer in Vitamin C, and Zinc when you're sick, but I've been fighting this for 4 days now, and I'm feeling worse.

I know you're probably not doctors - well maybe some of you - but here's the symptoms. I'm not looking for a diagnosis, because it's the same thing my girlfriend had and the doctor said it was something that was "going around". Maybe if I give you the symptoms, somebody has a "remedy" that will help. I'm willing to try anything, because I can't imagine anything worse than heading to WDW feeling like crap.

I have "stomach problems" (use your imagination - this is a "PG" board), severe headaches, and I feel dizzy (actually I almost feel drunk). I haven't been taking anything but advil for the headaches, and body aches. I don't know if I have a fever... my normal body temperature hovers between 96.5, and 98.3 - so a temperature of 98.0 (like it is now) may be a small fever, or no fever. And today, my throat is starting to tighten up (you know... sinus's draining and swelling).

OK.... let me have it. As long as it doesn't involve drinking cows blood, or giving away a first born child, I'll probably try it.

First off, rest. Drink fluids, but not diary! Gatorade would be good... Juice may add to the runs (if you have that). Also for the stomach part... toast, rice, bananas and applesauce. NOT applejuice, that will add to the runs. Maybe some Pepto bismal if your stomach can handle it.

Basically, lay low... light foods (like above), gatorade or water, NO DAIRY!! You can take some advil/tylenol only when you eat (may upset you on an empty stomach).

Hope you get well before your trip... and take it easy on your trip (food wise that is until you feel 100%!).

Take care,
Karen (mom of 3) :smooth:

Oh my....Im so sorry you are sick!! I dont have any words of wisdom, but just to get some REST! You might need to go to your family doc and get checked out. Maybe he/she can give you something to make it all go away faster.

I HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Rest and drink fluids....

I had a virus last week that gave me a high fever and body aches, it was awful.

Look on the bright side, you are sure to feel better in 10 days. Whenever a family member gets sick a week or 2 before a disney vacation I usually jump for joy knowing that the chances we will be sick on vacation are slim. Just take it easy and you will be fine. Can't hurt to get to the doctor, too!

Feel better....

Sounds like it's making its way all around. I had the same thing (but no "drippies":)) but with the fever, aches, chills, and eventually ended up with fluid in my inner ear which left me with no hearing in my left ear and a major off balance feeling for the week following, an ENT helped clear my ear and majorly helped with the balance. If your sinus is draining that's a good thing because it's coming out!

Like you, this all started August 1st and it just lingered for a few weeks. We were supposed to go to Disney August 18th (just me and my 4 yr old dd)-I thought for sure we would have to cancel. She ended up with a double ear infection too.

We actually got to go to WDW. I moved it up another day for an extra recup day--luckily I drive up (its a 3 hr drive) but I never would have been able to do the drive with the dizzy thing.

I would recommend seeing a dr to make sure it's not a bacterial infection. If your sinuses are really bothering you and your nose is really running it may be a sinus infection, you'd need antibiotics to get rid of that. Mine was a virus. My dr even did bloodwork after I had a horrible reaction to nasal spray (it was a terrible domino effect). I'm sure you'll feel better by your trip time. Luckily it hit now, the odds of being sick during your trip will be very low now:)

TAKE CARE!!

Well, I went to the Doc, and he didn't seem too concerned. He wasn't even going to give me a prescription - said it was a "viral infection", and it should wear itself off in a few more days. I told him about the trip coming up, and he wrote me a scrip for some "ammoxicillin" (for those of you that aren't famaliar with it or are allergic to it... it is given to you for everything from a cold to flu, to strep throat..... it's kind of a "cure-all"). He told me to let the virus run it's course, but if I still felt bad by this weekend to start taking the ammoxicillin, and that should wipe out anything that's left. He also echoed the sentimants that it's actually good that I'm sick now. He said that since I'm fighting the icky's now.... I shouldn't have to worry too much in a couple weeks.

Thanks for all the advise everyone!

My DH is a physician and basically agree's with gatorade and plenty of fluids. Probably a virus which means there is not a lot you can do but you should feel better by your trip!!!

BTW, I am also sick and 16 days to go!! I am just glad I am sick now and not in Disney! <Knock on Wood>

Anyway, Hope you feel better and look forward to hearing about your trip!!

AE

zakatak has the right idea. Our doctor recommends a little broth from canned chicken noodle soup for sodium because the loss of this while you're sick can cause you to feel quite fatigued. Emetrol is good for nausea and you can get it at the drugstore. Just pet yourself and get your strength back so you'll be in better shape before your trip. I'm glad your girlfriend already had it, or else she might be the next victim. There's alot of people in my area with this nasty virus, too. There's not much you can do but take it easy until it's over. Pixie dust to you...............

God that sucks. I'm so sorry. Ditto to what everyone is saying - rest, fluids, bland food. Also GARLIC. Raw or sauteed if your tummy gets more stable. It's an anti-microbial.

Carbs (pasta/potatoes) are good for energy and to help re-build what the virus jumped all over. Your body will need fuel to ramp up it's immune system.

REST. Oh, did I say REST? I did? OK! Fluids, dehydration bad.

Hi Cwipperman

Sorry to hear you are feeling under the weather. Just one question if your condition is a virus I wondered why your doc has given you amoxicillin? Here in the UK that's classed as an antibiotic - and if I am right antibiotics don't work if it is viral - only if you have an infection??? Anyway whatever happens I sincerely hope you feel better in time for your trip.

Best Wishes for a speedy recovery!!!!!!!

I am the queen of sinus infections.These sinus things are no joke. I believe in the fluids for sure and hang your head over a bowl of steaming water to move those mucus membranes. The antiobiotic has a 90% rate of getting rid of the infection. I would take the antiobiotic myself. Amox is just fine. Here is a paper that explains first or second line antibiotics as working as effectively as each other.
http://www.cma.ca/cma/common/displa.../L2/HTML/2002/0401/12583_PatCare27_200204.htm

Have you tried Advil sinus and cold medication ...? It is marvelous. Take it every day for 2 to 3 weeks. No kidding!

Also a nasal spray (prescription) is excellent. Just snort it back as deep as you can.

When you are spending this amount of money and time to go to a special awesome place you need pixie medication!!!!!

Well I know in the veterinary world we give antibiotics to the patients that have something viral just to help with any secondary infection they may get while they are sick....I realize we are speaking human species here but so many things are the same anyways:) Hope you feel better before your trip:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter