10 Year Old Order Kids Meals on DDP?

choover2576

Mouseketeer
I think I've seen that the answer is yes, but I just wanted to confirm that most table service restaurants will let a 10 year old order a kids meal. I understand that it will use an adult credit on the plan and not the best use, but he isn't very adventurous.

TIA!

They might size it up. Or they might not. Disney won't care because they make a killing on the difference between credit value and cost of a kids meal. Consider paying cash for those and using extra credits for signatures or something.

They might size it up. Or they might not. Disney won't care because they make a killing on the difference between credit value and cost of a kids meal. Consider paying cash for those and using extra credits for signatures or something.
That is a great idea! Thanks!!!

I think I've seen that the answer is yes, but I just wanted to confirm that most table service restaurants will let a 10 year old order a kids meal. I understand that it will use an adult credit on the plan and not the best use, but he isn't very adventurous.

TIA!

I have a 10 year old who also only dines off the kids menu. This past August, I tried something new, paying out of pocket for his kids meal. We were able to get one extra table service meal out of the plan by doing this. However, it was a lot of planning and Disney math! :)

We had to ensure we dined at four restaurants that had kids meals he would like. The average kids meal is $8-$10. It was definitely worth it. By paying for four of his meals, we got a “bonus” character breakfast for the four of us.

For our Ohana dinner, they charged him an adult credit but we’re able to bring him a grilled cheese & fries. Also, at Cape May Cafe dinner buffet, we were able to order him nuggets and fries since it was not on the buffet.

We've done that, paying cash for a kids meal rather than using a credit. We've also had the restaurant "upsize" to an adult portion. My DS got mac and cheese at 50's PT and it was huge!

DD's friend came with us last year and wouldn't eat ANYTHING at Garden Grille. The staff went downstairs and got her some of the Smuckers Uncrustable PB&J sandwiches, like a half dozen of them, on a plate lol. We took the extras for her next meal at BOG. The girl is 16, it was crazy what she ate. Pancakes, mashed potatoes, pb&j, cookies, other desserts. She had to close her eyes and panic when my DD got her to try an orange slice!

I always found that my daughter was more adventurous eating at Disney then she was at home. I also found that they are usually very willing to adapt something to make it something that they will eat. Disney always seem to be willing to adapt when it comes to the food and yes I am sure that it is because they are making so much money off of the meals anyhow!

I always found that my daughter was more adventurous eating at Disney then she was at home. I also found that they are usually very willing to adapt something to make it something that they will eat. Disney always seem to be willing to adapt when it comes to the food and yes I am sure that it is because they are making so much money off of the meals anyhow!

This is true for a Disney run and owned restaurant. At Tutto Italia, not so much. They did not budge much on adapting an adult entree to a child's palette. You just have to roll with it. After his less than stellar meal, my son had a Mickey pretzel :)

Does anyone know if this would also be the case at Whispering Canyon Cafe? We have an ADR there for my husband and I, our 10 year old, 7 year old, and 1 year old. I know our 10 year old will not be able to eat a full adult meal, especially if we order the all you can eat skillet. Will they let us order the kids skillet for her? Or will she have to get the adult meal? I plan on paying OOP for that meal, so we can use an extra credit for HDDR.

Does anyone know if this would also be the case at Whispering Canyon Cafe? We have an ADR there for my husband and I, our 10 year old, 7 year old, and 1 year old. I know our 10 year old will not be able to eat a full adult meal, especially if we order the all you can eat skillet. Will they let us order the kids skillet for her? Or will she have to get the adult meal? I plan on paying OOP for that meal, so we can use an extra credit for HDDR.
The skillet price is based on age. You won’t be able to pay the child’s price for a 10 year old. You could order a different kids meal for her.

The skillet price is based on age. You won’t be able to pay the child’s price for a 10 year old. You could order a different kids meal for her.

Thank you for responding! That is very good to know. There’s at least a 90% chance that she’d rather have a hamburger anyway. So we’ll just go with that.

The skillet is all you can eat, if you are paying OOP, I would order the kids meal. My 10 yr old will not eat the skillet, they will make him a kids grilled cheese sandwich that’s not on the menu.

Edited to add: I didn’t realize it goes according to age. My 14 yr old is not a big eater and orders off the kids menu many times and they never questioned it. I would ask your server. If the skillet is not permitted then just select another item off the kids menu and let your child have a taste of your skillet - it is all you can eat.

I wanted to mention that we also do this at Ohana. We use 4 adult DDP credits but request two kids meals. My 10 yr old will only eat his kids meal but the 14 yr old will try some of the meats but he’s still picky. With having the kids meals at least I know they are eating something.

Last edited:
If the skillet is not permitted then just select another item off the kids menu and let your child have a taste of your skillet - it is all you can eat.
Key word there: all you can eat. Not “all you and your kid can eat.” Other people are not allowed to eat off your skillet. That can result in you being charged per person.

Key word there: all you can eat. Not “all you and your kid can eat.” Other people are not allowed to eat off your skillet. That can result in you being charged per person.

Never implied the child was going to eat all the food off the parents skillet. Some children are picky and vacations are a perfect time for them to sample new foods.

Never implied the child was going to eat all the food off the parents skillet. Some children are picky and vacations are a perfect time for them to sample new foods.
We had a pretty involved discussion here two weeks ago. When is it okay to drink someone else’s free-refill soda? Or bottomless milkshake? What makes it okay to eat even one bite of someone else’s all-you-can-eat skillet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter