100 Years of Magic Parade Floats

lrodk

<font color=009900>No one is immune to the TF's in
On my recent trip to WDW I was able to catch a glimpse of the new "snowglobe" floats during the taping of a commercial for the celebration. My pictures haven't been developed yet, but Hope Maxwell was there as well and was kind enough to post her pics. Here's the link to the images of several of the floats that we'll be seeing come this fall.

http://members.home.net/jhmaxwell/parade1.htm

They look really good. DId you hear any of the music? I can' wait to see the rest of the floats.

but Hope Maxwell was there as well and was kind enough to post his pics

I'm actually a her... :)

While I was there they weren't actively filming, everyone was just standing around, so I didn't hear any music. I was impressed by the floats, I just hope the parade is longer than the Remember the Magic parade. And those Fantasia brooms are even cuter in person!

Sorry for the mix-up Hope. And thanks again for posting your pics. When I was there they were running the parade without music, yet they were filming in the process. I imagine they intend to add that into the promo once filming is complete. And you're right, those brooms looked pretty sharp, as did the floats. It should be a very nice parade. And the music would really make a difference.

Boy, I sure hope those floats are air conditioned! Otherwise, I'd worry about the characters keeling over from heat stroke. :eek:

Sarangel

I remember there was concerns about being able to ventilate the "globes". I hope they solved that problem. I had envisioned a parade of characters lying unconscious inside their various "globes".

Donna

Cooling them seems like a real challenge. If you don't cool or properly ventilate, you will get the equivalent of a "steamed up" car at a drive-in (please forgive the visual). If you over cool them, you'll get the same thing.

I sure hope there is a lot of variety in the globes. It would seem a rather boring parade if they are all very similar. I am struggling to see how the "parade of cars" at the Studios is going to be interesting.

Here's hoping it's not just a motorcade of waving characters. That sure would be uninspired.

Locked inside an airtight, sweltering plastic bubble in the hot Florida sun for hours on end?

No wonder the union was demanding clean underwear.

Thanks for this post and for the great pictures and information! We actually saw some of the snowglobe floats being built and assembled at Central Shops on our Backstage Magic Tour, 2 weeks ago. We were told that the snowglobes would contain various Mickeys "through the years" as well as all of the Princesses and Princes in their wedding attire! Also, we heard that guests would be able to purchase reproductions of the snowglobes represented by each float, once the parade has officially begun running. We were told that the snowglobes would be air conditioned and that at that point, they were just trying to figure out how to get the "snow" to blow around in them. Finally, we were told that the music is really beautiful and was composed by the same individuals who composed the ToN or I2K score (I'm sorry - I can't remember which!).

Gavin Greenway was the composer for both Tapesty and Reflections on Earth (along with Don Dorsey who also did the MSEP).

Irodk, thanks for posting the link to those wonderful photos that Hopemax took!

IASW Rider, thanks for the info. I was wondering if they would add "snow" to the snowglobes but I feared the characters would choke on the "snow" (at least the "face" characters would have to worry about that). Then I thought that maybe the "globe" would be double-paned and the "snow" would be injected into it and swirl around in there without ever making it into the breathing space inside the actual globe. Or maybe Disney will use some sort of "light" source as the "snow" and then the characters wouldn't have to worry about holding their breath. Anyhow, I'm wondering how Disney will accomplish the "snow."

Irodk, thanks for posting the link to those wonderful photos that Hopemax took!

Hey Janet, we had a news flash yesterday, it's actually "L" rodk! As in all lower case letters.

I think we all thought it was an "I" for the last couple of years. :)

Oh, I hate it when things are tricky like that! Sincerely, Janet2k (lower or upper case “k,” it makes no difference to me!).

I apologize to lrodk! (By the way, I saw your photo in that thread on the CB. It looked like it was a wonderful party.)

Yesterday, they were filming again using the Mickey and Pinocchio floats again. They had the snow running. The "snow" is round pices of silver/gold mylar material cut into round circles the size of your fist. They continually blow up from the bottom of the globe. It looked really good. Of course, Mickey and Pinocchio didn't have any problems with the "snow" but I wonder how Cinderella will fare. I guess that's why the pieces of "snow" are so big so it doesn't go into her eyes, ears, mouth, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter