11 month booking switch at 7 month window

Drewferin

DIS Veteran
I've just bought 180 point contract at AKV and I'd like somebody to explain how to potentially switch resort bookings at the 7 month window.

Scenario:
1) At 11 months I book AKV
2) At 7 months do I have to call and cancel AKV and have DVD on the phone book the other resort? Or can this be done online? I just want the logistics explained so I dont screen myself...

You can call MS yourself at 9:00 am. I wouldn't cancel until I knew that the room was really there at the other resort.

As to the process that the link above mentions I didn't realize it only works in certain situations.
It works only if you would have to borrow some of the points to make the new reservation if you did not cancel the existing one.

You can call MS yourself at 9:00 am. I wouldn't cancel until I knew that the room was really there at the other resort.

As to the process that the link above mentions I didn't realize it only works in certain situations.
I do t remember that specific requirement, but the technique is kind of pointless if you have enough points to book both reservations without borrowing.

I just did this for our past April trip. You call MS, they check avability for the new resort, if there is a room great. What happens next stressed me out because they can not hold the new resort and they have to cancel you original reservation- so essentially you are homeless for a couple minutes for them to release the points from your first reservation to then go ahead and secure the new reservation. There is a chance during that transaction where your new resort gets booked up, then you just cancelled your first reservation which can be snagged by someone looking to book or filled by the waitlist.

My transaction went smoothly but I was worried for a few minutes. I think doing this is riskier at certain times of the year (sept to marathon in January) other times of the year avability is much better so less likely that you would be left with nothing.

I would be interested to hear if there are stories of anyone getting burned in this scenario. You would think that MS could “hold” a room for 5 minutes in order to cancel the first reservation, but I guess they are not able.

I recall reading something about someone doing this on their own with 2 different browsers so essentially holding a reservation and cancelling simultaneously

I've just bought 180 point contract at AKV and I'd like somebody to explain how to potentially switch resort bookings at the 7 month window.

Scenario:
1) At 11 months I book AKV
2) At 7 months do I have to call and cancel AKV and have DVD on the phone book the other resort? Or can this be done online? I just want the logistics explained so I dont screen myself...
Two browser method. Do a search for it. In a nutshell, you open two browsers (not just different windows of the same browser). You will be booking the new reservation on one while cancelling the old reservation on the other. It has never failed me although any website hiccup in the middle of the process could mess things up.

I recall reading something about someone doing this on their own with 2 different browsers so essentially holding a reservation and cancelling simultaneously
There’s a link to the 2 browser method three posts up.

Two browser method. Do a search for it. In a nutshell, you open two browsers (not just different windows of the same browser). You will be booking the new reservation on one while cancelling the old reservation on the other. It has never failed me although any website hiccup in the middle of the process could mess things up.

I agree the two browser method works like a charm - ive used it a couple of times with great success.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!