11 yr old not liking adult menus, flexibility question.

maxsmom

DIS Veteran
So our small 11 yr old will maybe eat all of a child's portion. As we look at menus there's not much on the adult menus she likes. What restaurants should we avoid that aren't flexible? We are not on the dining plan. We are also hoping to avoid if we order a grilled cheese on the kids menu them bringing out 2 grilled cheese. We would be charged and they would just have to trash it b/c she won't eat that much. So really looking for places to not eat at. Thanks!

I do not know of any WDW restaurant that will not allow a child to order a kid's meal, other that the fixed price restaurants. Storybook DIning, Be OUr Guest at dinner are two that come to mind. The buffet and AYCTE restaurants will charge the adult price no matter what she eats, but other than those she should be fine.

As long as you skip buffets and price fixed meals you'll be just fine! Another thought is to share meals. My daughter (8) and I almost always share entrees whenever we eat out, especially at Disney, because while she eats great, she doesn't eat much.

Like others said as long as it’s not price fixed or a buffet they’ll be fine to order any child meal. I’ve ordered many when I’m not very hungry and I’m an adult and they never gave me an issue

Your 11 year old shouldn't have any issue ordering a kids meal. DS12 ordered off the kids menu at all of our non-AYCTE meals last year. (I don't think a server would bring an increased portion without asking if you want it. )

Thanks everyone. We ate at Le Cellier our waiter laughed when I asked for a kids menu last yr. So she had a side of fruit and the bread. When we were at Be Our Guest (before the change to prefix they weren't happy and said they'd have to charge us more. Well they charged us more but gave us a kids meal with the same portions. So we don't know why they charged us more. We didn't get more food. Therefore, I figured we'd avoid those 2. We understand about the buffets and the prix fix meals. Avoiding prix fix meals b/c they don't look appealing to either of our kids. I just assumed there were other restaurants out there that would be difficult. Thanks for your help.

Thanks everyone. We ate at Le Cellier our waiter laughed when I asked for a kids menu last yr. So she had a side of fruit and the bread. When we were at Be Our Guest (before the change to prefix they weren't happy and said they'd have to charge us more. Well they charged us more but gave us a kids meal with the same portions. So we don't know why they charged us more. We didn't get more food. Therefore, I figured we'd avoid those 2. We understand about the buffets and the prix fix meals. Avoiding prix fix meals b/c they don't look appealing to either of our kids. I just assumed there were other restaurants out there that would be difficult. Thanks for your help.

Both of these restaurants should be ashamed. No kids menu for a kid? I get the age issue, however I cannot understand the total disregard for her preferences.

Both of these restaurants should be ashamed. No kids menu for a kid? I get the age issue, however I cannot understand the total disregard for her preferences.

While I understand the spirit of your comment a restaurant can determine what age they consider an adult and set their policy accordingly. It is then a persons perogitive to not patronize that restaurant if they do not like the policy.

OP it never hurts to ask and some restaurants may not accommodate you even if they have done it for others in the past. Sharing meals or ordering sides as you have done in the past is always a good plan to be prepared to execute. Have a great trip.

While I understand the spirit of your comment a restaurant can determine what age they consider an adult and set their policy accordingly. It is then a persons perogitive to not patronize that restaurant if they do not like the policy.

OP it never hurts to ask and some restaurants may not accommodate you even if they have done it for others in the past. Sharing meals or ordering sides as you have done in the past is always a good plan to be prepared to execute. Have a great trip.

I agree that every restaurnt has a policy regarding the ages a kids menu is to be used for. In this case the server in Le Cellier laughed at the OP for asking and that is just wrong. At BOG the OP needed to pay more, and while I understand that, I am quite surprised. Before teh change this restaurant was one of the most flexible, including allowing folks to show up to split a dessert and a beverage in order to meet the Beast.

I have zero issues concerning adherance to age restrictions, however I do have a problem with the way this guest's chld was treated.

I agree that every restaurnt has a policy regarding the ages a kids menu is to be used for. In this case the server in Le Cellier laughed at the OP for asking and that is just wrong. At BOG the OP needed to pay more, and while I understand that, I am quite surprised. Before teh change this restaurant was one of the most flexible, including allowing folks to show up to split a dessert and a beverage in order to meet the Beast.

I have zero issues concerning adherance to age restrictions, however I do have a problem with the way this guest's chld was treated.
I agree, the server was out of line for laughing. I had a similar issue when my DD was 11 and she was still a mac and cheese or pasta eater. We went to BOG and asked for pasta. They said they would do an adult portion of the kid's menu, which we were fine with. We have ordered her two kids meals before. However, it was about the size of the kid's portion which was disappointing. If they are going to charge more it should be a bigger portion.

We have never had an issue ordering a kids meal for a young teen, that's unfortunate that you have! Lately when my 12 yo niece is with us we just ask for a kids menu when we are seated and then just give her the option of either and then just order.

Another option we found helpful was looking at the appetizers and soups and ordering those as a meal, my dd loves soup and combined with a house salad or the side from one of the adult meals makes a nice meal for her.

I would take a look at the menus to see what options appeal to you /her including appetizers and kids meals and plan from there.

Just my opinion but I would forgive a signature restaurant for not having a child's menu.

Via Napoli does not allow 11 year olds to order off the kids (9 and under) menu. I don’t think La Hacienda does either.

Via Napoli does not allow 11 year olds to order off the kids (9 and under) menu. I don’t think La Hacienda does either.

My 12 year old niece has ordered off the children's menu at La Hacienda many times, most recently was April of this year.

At Via Napoli we just order pizza for the group.

We've had no problem at all with our kids ordering from the kids' menu (not buffets or prix fixe), even when our pickiest was as old as about 16. If a server had ever insisted on charging more for this, I would have expressed my disappointment, paid the extra amount, and then subtracted that amount from the tip at the end. And I guarantee that if a server had ever laughed at one of our children, they would have ended up being very disappointed indeed by their tip, if I gave one at all.

Restaurants will allow your child to order from the child's menu. However, if the child is more than 9 years old and it's a prix fixe meal, they will pay the adult price, even if they order the kid's meal. That's how it's priced. I realize this does not gel with many families' eating habits. My DD11 is one of those vegetarian tiny eaters, so I understand. If that's your family, you have a choice. Pay the full adult price, but eat a tiny amount (of the kids' meal or the adult meal). Or go to a restaurant where you order off the menu. Then, you can order whatever you want (an app, a kids meal, or share a meal). Just understand that if you go to a fixed price meal, you will pay the full adult price for 10+ regardless of how little your child eats and regardless of whether you order a kid's meal.

Restaurants will allow your child to order from the child's menu. However, if the child is more than 9 years old and it's a prix fixe meal, they will pay the adult price, even if they order the kid's meal. That's how it's priced. I realize this does not gel with many families' eating habits. My DD11 is one of those vegetarian tiny eaters, so I understand. If that's your family, you have a choice. Pay the full adult price, but eat a tiny amount (of the kids' meal or the adult meal). Or go to a restaurant where you order off the menu. Then, you can order whatever you want (an app, a kids meal, or share a meal). Just understand that if you go to a fixed price meal, you will pay the full adult price for 10+ regardless of how little your child eats and regardless of whether you order a kid's meal.
Yes, I do understand all of this. That is not what I am asking about, but thanks for the info. This is why we've avoided those places since our older son became a Disney adult. It seems we've run into more issues now that our daughter is a Disney adult. Our 14 year old can eat more than we can now so that's not an issue with him anymore. It sounds like my daughter eats like your daughter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter