MAYBE A MAY TRIP?? 3 WEEKS SAPPHIRE FALLS 2021

Not familiar with that term?

Well, wasn’t much hungry today until caught up here :) yum

One picture is absoutely prettier than the next. First thing i thought of th eone was the owerly!

Many of those cottage are quite grand as to size. The water so close to those houses makes me nervous but it is beautiful. Is flooding not an issue?

Oh it just means they can also sell alcohol alongside teas and coffee and so on. Most tea rooms aren`t licenced.

Isn`t it just the Owlery!!! There are a few places around the UK you can see where JK Rowling got some of her idea from. There`s a place up in York called The Shambles that is very similar to Diagon Alley.....pic from Google.......

So quite possibly she`s seen something similar, those type of buildings are common in market towns all over the UK.

Oh yes, these places flood. One of the reasons we would never live close to a river. Found some pictures of a previous flood.......

The first one is from the street we were staying in and you can see the flowers on the Italian restaurant we ate in and the one dead ahead was where I had the tasteless burger.

The other ones are riverside......flooding is a massive issue in this country, but they keep building homes on flood plains.......don`t think they ever learned they were called flood plains for a reason.

i-RRvW5pf-M.jpg

i-CXmJhgS-M.jpg

i-BMs4BXs-S.jpg

Glad you like the pictures :thumbsup2

I was just thinking that as I was looking at the pics...so quaint. You are so lucky to be able to drive there!

OMG this sounds heavenly!!

Hey Kathy........:wave2:

It is such a beautiful area, yes, all within driving distance. 4 hour is nothing really to get there.

Oh that ice cream was the best!!! I actually got two scoops and one was coconut......I adore coconut ice cream, but the blackcurrant one was divine!!

Well every entry is more charming than the last! What a lovely time you are having. Thank you so much for bringing us along -- I feel like I'm getting a personal tour of this lovely area. And I am so enjoying all the tea rooms! I think I'd just wander from one to another...

Well every entry is more charming than the last! What a lovely time you are having. Thank you so much for bringing us along -- I feel like I'm getting a personal tour of this lovely area. And I am so enjoying all the tea rooms! I think I'd just wander from one to another...

Aww thanks Maria....I`m so glad you like them.

The tea rooms are wonderful....very personal and quite intimate.....complete opposite of giant coffee chains everywhere else.

lol....yes, we did seemingly just wander from one to the other......:rolleyes1 ::yes::

SATURDAY OCT 10TH

Today was supposed to be our day to visit Blenheim Palace.

A few days ago we had booked online for entrance to the gardens and the Palace too. You can just go to the gardens if you like, but I had done the gardens many years ago but couldn`t get into the house that visit.

Apologies to mac and Keisha.....they`ve already heard this story!!!

When you book, you chose your time to arrive at the grounds and you can wander round the gardens that way. You also chose your time to enter the Palace on the online booking and we chose to arrive at 9.30 and into the Palace at 11am. I like gardens as much as the next person, but doesn`t take us long to wander round somewhere like this. Some people do go and spend all day there, we`d be bored witless doing that if I`m honest.

So, on the morning we received an email saying that our time into the Palace was no longer valid and we`d have to choose a time to enter the Palace when we arrived. So, we had an early breakfast as Tom had bought double yesterday so we wouldn`t have to hang around this morning.

We left for the drive which would take around 40 minutes. I have to say for such a major tourist place, it is very badly signposted till you are practically upon it. But, with the satnav we found it easy anyway.

Pulling in we saw there weren`t exactly loads of cars in the car park, and plenty of space to find a decent space. Not unsurprisingly there were a million kids.......lol.....and of course as we walked down to the entrance there were three kids all from seperate families having meltdowns and tantrums alread......it was just after 9!!! Joy.

The walk down to the entrance where you get your palace entry time is very impressive, but rather unusually Tom looks frozen. And it is cold this morning. there`s not a glimpse of sunshine around and it was supposed to be nicer than this, so I felt a little guilty as this had been my idea.

It was about then, I put my furry hat on as it was cold. And damp too.

It`s a little bit of a walk down, but we were glad to see it looked to be brightening up, but my goodness it was chilly.

i-Px5Krzm-X2.jpg

Tom took some snaps as I went to stand in the very short line to get your Palace time......there were 2 young ladies in the cabin and both seemed to be dealing with people who were very, very annoyed about something.

i-xngBQD4-X2.jpg

i-tZ9B29Z-X2.jpg

When it was my time, I soon realised why the previous families had been annoyed.......I went up, big smile and even smilier hello and said I wanted to book our Palace time.......she said no problem......I asked her how soon we could get in as it was freezing and we weren`t hanging around today......she looked slightly awkward and said with the fakest, forced and very nervous smile that the next Palace entry time was 4.15pm today........

I never flinched a muscle but did say Excuse me did you say 4.15? She said yes, all the other slots had been filled....they`d only been open 10 minutes.

I said we originally had an 11am entry time, as we planned to be gone by two at the latest. She could only apologise but it wasn`t her fault and unlike the previous people I was never going to shout at her. I said well, how do we get a refund then as there was no way in hell we could pass over 6 and a half hours wandering round gardens, no matter how pretty.

She said they had a no refund policy and if I had any complaints we should get in touch with customer services online as everything was online now. I said thank you we`d do that, and the poor girl actually thanked us for being so reasonable....bless her she was in for a rough time. The line now behind was long and I`m sure there would be lots of other annoyed folks.

One man stopped me as we turned to walk past, he had heard a little of the conversation and guessed something wasn`t right....I told him the next time scale and he visibly paled and said he didn`t have that amount of time to wait either........

I understand the online booking and restrictions with the virus, but it`s a bad system when you choose a time and then they change that system with no notice. I emailed Customer service and explained they hadn`t provided the service we had paid for in a reasonable time and would expect my money to be refunded, it wasn`t a nasty email just stated the facts and lo and behold, they apologised and we did get a refund. It wasn`t a lot of money, around $75 for both of us, but it was a little disappointing......Tom wasn`t too bothered as it wasn`t his thing really, but I had managed to get him to look forward to it somehow. I love visiting Castles and Palaces with all the magnificent history they all exude, Tom will last so long then get a little bored.

So, we walked back to the car and thought about what we wanted to do now. I had a thought that I had a cousin live nearby on the outskirts of Oxford, maybe we could say hello to him and his family. So I called my mum and asked for his number, I knew she still kept in touch and they visited her when they came to Scotland. I hadn`t seen him in a million years, but we were closer when we were young as they lived in Manchester and we used to go down for our vacations to stay with them two or three times a year.

Called him up and he was so surprised.....and he said of course he`d love to see us. They were free for lunch so we arranged to meet in a pub near them in about an hour and half. I was looking forward to seeing him again and I had never met his wife so it would be a little different as we really were strangers when you think about it.

As we drove out, we passed a seperate car park for coaches and camper vans.....there were loads of them.....we could only guess they were giving preferrential treatment to coach parties, that would explain it for sure.

We arrived just before they did, and it really was the strangest thing.....he hadn`t changed a bit!!! He is around 4 years younger than me but I recognised him immediately as he did me. He commented I was the image of one of his sisters, and weirdly my uncle (his dad) always said me and that daughter were the image of each other as kids too. There were six of them in that family, sadly my aunt and uncle both passed a few years back and I loved visiting them as kids......

But, we had a lovely lunch, never took any pictures and had a really good catch up. I learned somethings about family members I never knew.....families always have their secrets......lol.....but we had a good giggle and we both said we shouldn`t leave it another 40 years before we meet up again.....I was so glad we met up.

As it was so late in the afternoon, we drove back to our town, parked the car and walked round to get that ice cream I was so looking forward to. The town was much busier than it had been during the week, but the sun had come out and it was quite pleasant now.......

i-XLwQ7PF-X2.jpg

i-vJwRQ7f-X2.jpg

The ice cream was delicious......the blackcurrant was truly gorgeous and even nicer than the coconut I thought I`d favour. Tom had honeycomb and another one I forget which now......we ate them on benches beside the river despite it being a little cool. Well, everyone else was too....or they had fish and chips from a rather grand looking chip shop.

Even at this time of day the bakery was busy with a long line to get in.

i-xDSXbnM-X2.jpg

i-hzGcJsV-X2.jpg

This was the first day we had seen this place busy, but everyone commented how it really wasn`t busy compared to summer. I had seen images of the place bursting at the seams when it was nice, so I was very grateful we had come in the off season. But, no one was really socially distancing today........all had masks on, but people were ignoring the little feet marks for what side you were supposed to walk on and not trying to get out of your way at all.

i-GhhbVXw-X2.jpg

We passed an hour or so, then went back to the cottage and it tickled us to see someone take a picture of the cottage.....tourists......lol.......when we walked in the front, the man apologised for taking a picture of the car.....we burst out laughing and Tom said he thought it was the cottage......his wife said he wanted one like ours but it was never going to happen......lol.......

We mulled around for a while and got showered and changed and headed for the short walk to The Mousetrap again tonight, we were looking forward to this meal again.

Our table was booked for 8pm, which we were on time for and were taken to another part of the pub tonight and it was a nice table. Although someone came to sit down beside us with a dog, which is allowed in lots of pubs in this area and although it was well behaved I still prefer not to be around animals when eating. Especially when you see folks feeding them from their plate and then licking their fingers......yuk!!

But, our waitress immediately recognised us from the previous visit and we ordered a bottle of red and as we had already looked at the menu we knew what we were having.

Tom was going for the black pudding scotch egg again, and I wanted to try one of their specials which was dill cured salmon in buttermilk with pickled radish and sumac. I love sumac but very few places ever use it. It`s like a citrus spice and I was delighted to see it on the menu....Tom made a face as he isn`t fond of lemon in savoury food.....wasn`t sure about the buttermilk, but I`d try it anyway......

i-b5WQvsP-X2.jpg

We shared a bit of each, although Tom just had the salmon and I scraped off the buttermilk sumac dressing for him.......I liked it, the salmon had been well cured and the dressing was lovely. I should have stripped the radish off to see the salmon, but they were very good pieces and would get it again.

Tom`s scotch egg was as good as the first time......classic dish.

i-nX25HHf-X2.jpg

i-NDNHLbP-X2.jpg

i-LZnvvsD-X2.jpg

We again both got the steak, both rare tonight and she remembered not to put onion on my plate, depsite me forgetting to ask for them to be removed.....

Again, both were lovely. Full of flavour and cooked to perfection, and again with those chips!!!! It was delicious.

i-BzgLbP2-X2.jpg

We had a bit of a gap and then both ordered the sticky toffee pudding again, with their vanilla ice cream instead of banana.....who on earth eats banana ice cream. But, I guess as I don`t like bananas I`m not going to like an ice cream with that flavour.

They were gorgeous. And Tom was completely surprised I finished most of it....usually I`d find that too sweet and only take a little off of his.....but it was sublime.

i-b9QqvRR-X2.jpg

We thanked them, paid the bill and walked back home.........we put the kettle on and Tom opened a bottle of wine....it was only around 10pm so we weren`t planning an early night.......we had thoroughly enjoyed our evening again in The Mousetrap......

Again, we`d had a lovely day, albeit a little different than planned, but I`m a huge believer in....everything happens for a reason. Might not know why something happens or doesn`t happen, so no point in getting annoyed or despondent when things change. It turned out to be a lovely day.

Tomorrow was our last full day.......

SATURDAY OCT 10TH

Today was supposed to be our day to visit Blenheim Palace.

A few days ago we had booked online for entrance to the gardens and the Palace too. You can just go to the gardens if you like, but I had done the gardens many years ago but couldn`t get into the house that visit.

Apologies to mac and Keisha.....they`ve already heard this story!!!

When you book, you chose your time to arrive at the grounds and you can wander round the gardens that way. You also chose your time to enter the Palace on the online booking and we chose to arrive at 9.30 and into the Palace at 11am. I like gardens as much as the next person, but doesn`t take us long to wander round somewhere like this. Some people do go and spend all day there, we`d be bored witless doing that if I`m honest.

So, on the morning we received an email saying that our time into the Palace was no longer valid and we`d have to choose a time to enter the Palace when we arrived. So, we had an early breakfast as Tom had bought double yesterday so we wouldn`t have to hang around this morning.

We left for the drive which would take around 40 minutes. I have to say for such a major tourist place, it is very badly signposted till you are practically upon it. But, with the satnav we found it easy anyway.

Pulling in we saw there weren`t exactly loads of cars in the car park, and plenty of space to find a decent space. Not unsurprisingly there were a million kids.......lol.....and of course as we walked down to the entrance there were three kids all from seperate families having meltdowns and tantrums alread......it was just after 9!!! Joy.

The walk down to the entrance where you get your palace entry time is very impressive, but rather unusually Tom looks frozen. And it is cold this morning. there`s not a glimpse of sunshine around and it was supposed to be nicer than this, so I felt a little guilty as this had been my idea.

It was about then, I put my furry hat on as it was cold. And damp too.

It`s a little bit of a walk down, but we were glad to see it looked to be brightening up, but my goodness it was chilly.

i-Px5Krzm-X2.jpg

Tom took some snaps as I went to stand in the very short line to get your Palace time......there were 2 young ladies in the cabin and both seemed to be dealing with people who were very, very annoyed about something.

i-xngBQD4-X2.jpg

i-tZ9B29Z-X2.jpg

When it was my time, I soon realised why the previous families had been annoyed.......I went up, big smile and even smilier hello and said I wanted to book our Palace time.......she said no problem......I asked her how soon we could get in as it was freezing and we weren`t hanging around today......she looked slightly awkward and said with the fakest, forced and very nervous smile that the next Palace entry time was 4.15pm today........

I never flinched a muscle but did say Excuse me did you say 4.15? She said yes, all the other slots had been filled....they`d only been open 10 minutes.

I said we originally had an 11am entry time, as we planned to be gone by two at the latest. She could only apologise but it wasn`t her fault and unlike the previous people I was never going to shout at her. I said well, how do we get a refund then as there was no way in hell we could pass over 6 and a half hours wandering round gardens, no matter how pretty.

She said they had a no refund policy and if I had any complaints we should get in touch with customer services online as everything was online now. I said thank you we`d do that, and the poor girl actually thanked us for being so reasonable....bless her she was in for a rough time. The line now behind was long and I`m sure there would be lots of other annoyed folks.

One man stopped me as we turned to walk past, he had heard a little of the conversation and guessed something wasn`t right....I told him the next time scale and he visibly paled and said he didn`t have that amount of time to wait either........

I understand the online booking and restrictions with the virus, but it`s a bad system when you choose a time and then they change that system with no notice. I emailed Customer service and explained they hadn`t provided the service we had paid for in a reasonable time and would expect my money to be refunded, it wasn`t a nasty email just stated the facts and lo and behold, they apologised and we did get a refund. It wasn`t a lot of money, around $75 for both of us, but it was a little disappointing......Tom wasn`t too bothered as it wasn`t his thing really, but I had managed to get him to look forward to it somehow. I love visiting Castles and Palaces with all the magnificent history they all exude, Tom will last so long then get a little bored.

So, we walked back to the car and thought about what we wanted to do now. I had a thought that I had a cousin live nearby on the outskirts of Oxford, maybe we could say hello to him and his family. So I called my mum and asked for his number, I knew she still kept in touch and they visited her when they came to Scotland. I hadn`t seen him in a million years, but we were closer when we were young as they lived in Manchester and we used to go down for our vacations to stay with them two or three times a year.

Called him up and he was so surprised.....and he said of course he`d love to see us. They were free for lunch so we arranged to meet in a pub near them in about an hour and half. I was looking forward to seeing him again and I had never met his wife so it would be a little different as we really were strangers when you think about it.

As we drove out, we passed a seperate car park for coaches and camper vans.....there were loads of them.....we could only guess they were giving preferrential treatment to coach parties, that would explain it for sure.

We arrived just before they did, and it really was the strangest thing.....he hadn`t changed a bit!!! He is around 4 years younger than me but I recognised him immediately as he did me. He commented I was the image of one of his sisters, and weirdly my uncle (his dad) always said me and that daughter were the image of each other as kids too. There were six of them in that family, sadly my aunt and uncle both passed a few years back and I loved visiting them as kids......

But, we had a lovely lunch, never took any pictures and had a really good catch up. I learned somethings about family members I never knew.....families always have their secrets......lol.....but we had a good giggle and we both said we shouldn`t leave it another 40 years before we meet up again.....I was so glad we met up.

As it was so late in the afternoon, we drove back to our town, parked the car and walked round to get that ice cream I was so looking forward to. The town was much busier than it had been during the week, but the sun had come out and it was quite pleasant now.......

i-XLwQ7PF-X2.jpg

i-vJwRQ7f-X2.jpg

The ice cream was delicious......the blackcurrant was truly gorgeous and even nicer than the coconut I thought I`d favour. Tom had honeycomb and another one I forget which now......we ate them on benches beside the river despite it being a little cool. Well, everyone else was too....or they had fish and chips from a rather grand looking chip shop.

Even at this time of day the bakery was busy with a long line to get in.

i-xDSXbnM-X2.jpg

i-hzGcJsV-X2.jpg

This was the first day we had seen this place busy, but everyone commented how it really wasn`t busy compared to summer. I had seen images of the place bursting at the seams when it was nice, so I was very grateful we had come in the off season. But, no one was really socially distancing today........all had masks on, but people were ignoring the little feet marks for what side you were supposed to walk on and not trying to get out of your way at all.

i-GhhbVXw-X2.jpg

We passed an hour or so, then went back to the cottage and it tickled us to see someone take a picture of the cottage.....tourists......lol.......when we walked in the front, the man apologised for taking a picture of the car.....we burst out laughing and Tom said he thought it was the cottage......his wife said he wanted one like ours but it was never going to happen......lol.......

We mulled around for a while and got showered and changed and headed for the short walk to The Mousetrap again tonight, we were looking forward to this meal again.

Our table was booked for 8pm, which we were on time for and were taken to another part of the pub tonight and it was a nice table. Although someone came to sit down beside us with a dog, which is allowed in lots of pubs in this area and although it was well behaved I still prefer not to be around animals when eating. Especially when you see folks feeding them from their plate and then licking their fingers......yuk!!

But, our waitress immediately recognised us from the previous visit and we ordered a bottle of red and as we had already looked at the menu we knew what we were having.

Tom was going for the black pudding scotch egg again, and I wanted to try one of their specials which was dill cured salmon in buttermilk with pickled radish and sumac. I love sumac but very few places ever use it. It`s like a citrus spice and I was delighted to see it on the menu....Tom made a face as he isn`t fond of lemon in savoury food.....wasn`t sure about the buttermilk, but I`d try it anyway......

i-b5WQvsP-X2.jpg

We shared a bit of each, although Tom just had the salmon and I scraped off the buttermilk sumac dressing for him.......I liked it, the salmon had been well cured and the dressing was lovely. I should have stripped the radish off to see the salmon, but they were very good pieces and would get it again.

Tom`s scotch egg was as good as the first time......classic dish.

i-nX25HHf-X2.jpg

i-NDNHLbP-X2.jpg

i-LZnvvsD-X2.jpg

We again both got the steak, both rare tonight and she remembered not to put onion on my plate, depsite me forgetting to ask for them to be removed.....

Again, both were lovely. Full of flavour and cooked to perfection, and again with those chips!!!! It was delicious.

i-BzgLbP2-X2.jpg

We had a bit of a gap and then both ordered the sticky toffee pudding again, with their vanilla ice cream instead of banana.....who on earth eats banana ice cream. But, I guess as I don`t like bananas I`m not going to like an ice cream with that flavour.

They were gorgeous. And Tom was completely surprised I finished most of it....usually I`d find that too sweet and only take a little off of his.....but it was sublime.

i-b9QqvRR-X2.jpg

We thanked them, paid the bill and walked back home.........we put the kettle on and Tom opened a bottle of wine....it was only around 10pm so we weren`t planning an early night.......we had thoroughly enjoyed our evening again in The Mousetrap......

Again, we`d had a lovely day, albeit a little different than planned, but I`m a huge believer in....everything happens for a reason. Might not know why something happens or doesn`t happen, so no point in getting annoyed or despondent when things change. It turned out to be a lovely day.

Tomorrow was our last full day.......
Ugh! I'm so sorry the castle was a bust...but how nice to catch up with a relative you haven't seen in a long time! I can't imagine how congested it is in the summer. Smart move to come in the off season. Your meals do look so delicious. I would be eagerly enjoying every bite as well. So sorry we are getting near the end, as this is a lovely interlude :D

SUNDAY OCT 11TH

I think we sat up watching movies till around 2am last night/this morning.......so we slept till quite late for us.....maybe 7.30ish.......

We actually had no plans today except to go to a hotel in the next town for a traditional Sunday lunch and I had suggested we take a taxi. Tom isn`t bothered about not having a drink if he`s driving. And he won`t have one at all if he is. I`m the same, if one is driving, no alcohol at all, we`ve always been like that, but I knew this hotel had a beer he liked, so anyway, we were getting a taxi. I`d call one later.

Up and showered and Tom went to the bakers for breakfast......he got enough for tomorrow too, so we could just leave when we were ready. And it was lovely again.......it was nice enough to go sit outside in the garden for breakfast. It was a still and sunny day and we were in no rush to go anywhere.

We chatted to Kyle after breakfast for a while, they were going out so we wanted to catch him before they left.....he was doing fine and the house was immaculate I was informed....I had no doubts. After we said goodbye we went to get packed up, I knew I wouldn`t feel like it after a large Sunday lunch so getting most of it done now was a good idea......I`m quite annoying when I pack.....I sort the clothes into laundry piles......lol.....don`t laugh, my friends have told me how ridiculous I am with things like that....well, that`s not the word they use!!! But for the Dis it`ll have to do.......😈

The folders the owners leave have loads of info about the local areas and so much more, lots of suggestions of places to eat and public transport, but no taxi firms they recommended, so i went to Google and rang the first local one I saw......I called the number and this very jolly sounding man answered and said no problem......he`d be here to pick us up and did we want him to come back for us, we said yes and that was that sorted.

He was on time, but the vehicle left a lot to be desired........if we had another option I`d have taken it, but we got in rather reluctantly.....it was ok though......just didn`t look like it had been cleaned out in a while......but the driver was rather fun! He was full of stories and a real chatterbox......

We asked him to come a little earlier as we wanted to wander round this town, Stow on the Wold for a mooch as we had tried to visit during the week, but there wasn`t a single parking space which seems to be the norm for places like this.

It was pretty and some nice shops.....and again The Cotswold Cheese company had a store here.....went in......completely unfriendly staff member behind the counter who looked like she was guarding the cheese from possible attack!!! Very unsettling to see someone so tightly wound.

i-hXrP49m-X2.jpg

i-hMPzj9D-X2.jpg

i-H6SQHFN-X2.jpg

It was cold, so we didn`t hang around for long.....and amazingly didn`t buy anything.........we headed to the hotel which was a minute or so walk from where we were.

This looked such a beautiful place, very traditional and olde worlde I am so fond of......and the menu for Sunday lunch looked lovely.

i-f6Q9bBN-X2.jpg

i-kvZfr8P-X2.jpg

You had to ring the bell and someone came to let you in, Tom explained we were early for our reservation but wanted to go sit in the lounge with a drink until it was ready, a very friendly young man said of course and showed us to the lounge where we went and sat at the far side of a beautiful large fireplace with a real fire in it......very welcome today.

i-zVRfghQ-X2.jpg

i-9kpFj46-X2.jpg

i-sQWFRps-X2.jpg

Please don`t think I`m being insulting here.....but the guests sitting in the lounge already all had an average age of 98. This looked to be somewhere that very much had an older clientele. But, it was so pretty. And warm!!!

I ordered a large Malbec and Tom his much enjoyed Hobgoblin beer.......

And we sat and enjoyed a very cosy and warm time in the little snug area till our table was ready. I could have sat in front of that fire all day!

i-8scC47D-X2.jpg

The dining room was classically decorated and very welcoming with tables well spaced apart. We were glad we had booked here.

We both got another drink while we looked at the menu.....although I think we both knew what we were having......

i-F8zd5rr-X2.jpg

I opted for the classic prawn cocktail....forgot to ask for no onion, so Tom got extra.......and he went for the Pate.....

The classic sauce over here for prawn cocktail is Marie Rose sauce.......basically ketchup, mayo and some put brandy in it, I prefer a little cayenne pepper as I hate alcohol in anything that isn`t a drink, but not fond of brandy.......

i-q7kVLGC-X2.jpg

I don`t eat Pate, but had a little taste of Tom`s and it was, I have to admit, delicious. It had real flavour other than the main ingredients which I try not to think what it actually is.....lol......

i-3SKGLcG-X2.jpg

There was an older couple behind us way in the back, an older couple beside us and an older gentleman on his own to the other side. The couple beside us started chatting about where we were from and all that....they were very nice and she mentioned her husband was 91.....my jaw almost hit the table. I would have sworn he was late 70`s at the most......he smiled as I asked what did they put in the water here....he then "shouted" didn`t his wife look good for 89........she almost clouted him with her napkin.....we were rolling with laughter at her indignation.......they were adorable though.

It`s always interesting to chat to the older generation who have some lovely tales to tell.....and I loved that all the gentlemen of a certain age all wore collar and ties.........

There had been a younger couple came in while we were chatting....I say younger they were in their late 30`s so not too young. They were a hoot. She was Russian and sat with her arms folded the whole time as if she didn`t want to be there.......she had a very angry look on her face throughout the meal.

Tom ordered roast lamb and I had gone for the beef and all meat had been reared and slaughtered within a short distance.......not that it bothers me to be honest, long as it`s nice, I don`t mind.

i-qVJgWm9-X2.jpg

i-8fqxv9J-X2.jpg

I gave Tom one of my Yorkshire Puddings......and both dishes were delicious. We almost cleared our plates.

The older couple to the side of us were just leaving, when the gentleman came over to our table and spoke to me.....he said, you looked surprised when you heard I was 91.....he pointed to the man sat on his own who they had been chatting with periodically, and said he was 96. I swear again, you would have him pegged at maybe 80 if he was lucky.......

Bless him. What was nice was all the four older tables all seemed to know each other well and before one left they asked what time the others were booked for the following Sunday......it just seemed very nice.

After our gap where we had been chatting to the couple and the man, our dessert arrived and I had gone for treacle sponge with custard, and Tom.....yep.....chocolate cake and ice cream......

i-HCWTsB4-X2.jpg

i-BntGCBT-X2.jpg

My goodness they were good!! The sponge was light, and not too filling and Tom cleared every morsel on his plate........this had been a good lunch.

We paid the bill and before we left I went over to speak to the older gent on his own. I just chatted in general and he began to tell us how his wife had passed away a few years previous and told us some of his life.....I could have sat all day chatting to him. It broke my heart when he said this was his main company for the week due to the virus......he was a lovely, lovely man who was obviously still mourning his wife of almost 70 years. I kept chatting and then got a txt to say the taxi was outside so we had to leave, but he stood up and said it had been a pleasure to chat to us. I wanted to stay I have to be honest, but I could also feel myself starting to well up with tears as he spoke so fondly of his wife.....he was a little misty eyed too. But, we said goodbye and left with me fighting back tears for him.

Tom knew I was ready to burst into tears........he commented later, and it`s true, wherever we go we always find people who open up and chat about life and death to us quite openly.......I don`t mind as I`d rather be approachable as not. But, I felt quite bad for him, and I`m reminded how healthy and still had a zest for life a little as he did have a little twinkle in his eye.

We asked Bobby to drop us at the shops, as we wanted a wander for the last time........and the town was again fairly busy. We just wandered around, by the river and avoiding coming across too many folks which was impossible......

i-7Zp8d4J-X2.jpg

i-VcJgw6d-X2.jpg

We spent about an hour wandering around with all the others who were enjoying a late Sunday afternoon stroll. But, we headed to the cottage around 6pm and spent the rest of the evening with some wine and Netflix.....can`t get more perfect than that.

Monday morning we were up early and after showering and dressing, we packed up the last of the toiletries and so on and made sure everything that was ours was coming with us.......then enjoyed our last bakery breakfast......I`d miss this when I was back to rice krispies........

We did a last check and made sure everything was clean and tidy and in it`s place. They ask you vacate by 10am for the cleaning team to come in, but we were gone by 8.30.

It was a very dull day and rain was promised. But, we had a decent drive back across to the coast and the satnav only tried to get us lost once.....no idea why that happened! But, we got home in time for lunch around 1pm. It was nice to be home and fab to see Kyle of course.

Renting a cottage was fun. I did learn that I think I could be happy living in a smaller property.......but, I couldn`t give up a huge kitchen......nor a larger bedroom. But, cosy has it`s benefits. We really enjoyed the town we were in and it was very pretty. The cottage though small, was ideal for a week. Location wise, it couldn`t be beaten with so much within an easy walk.

We really enjoyed our week there and being honest, one of the things we were looking at while we were there was, could we move there in a few years.

Kyle won`t be living us for much longer, and we wouldn`t change that for anything. The virus and housing market has postponed any plans he may have had for now. It`s slightly different in the UK from the States. We hear a lot of folks say as soon as their kids are 18, they move out....usually renting. And nothing wrong with that. Most kids we have known over here stay until they marry, leave for University or buy a property.......and they can save a fortune too doing that......lol......sensible!!! We couldn`t be more proud of Kyle.....he`s financially astute, very focussed and will always be an achiever......can`t see him ever having to hightail it back to us, he`s far too sensible for that! I was happy he chose a University where he could stay home........he got the best of both worlds doing his degree.

So, we had thought we would love to move to an area within the Cotswolds.

Sell up here and move again (I love moving) but, rather surprisingly mainly to me, I decided I wouldn`t move there. And that was unexpected, as before we went I was eyeing up several properties to go look at while we were there. Tom (ever the sensible level headed one ) suggested why don`t we go look at places first, narrow it down, and then go look at property in a few weeks or so. Rather reluctantly I thought it was a good idea........

Although it is a beautiful area, many gorgeous towns and villages, I never went anywhere there and thought I really, really wanted to live there. Too many darn tourists........:rotfl::rotfl:

I think Tom was rather relieved to be honest.......especially when he looked at the properties I wanted to go look at.......lol......

So, for now we`ll stay where we are.

I hope you enjoyed our little trawl round The Cotswolds........

Next up......back to HHN pictures.....before Halloween itself is upon us........🎃

Disappointing re the castle’s change in policy. Had thot they’d send out an email day prior to advise folks. Glad they did the right thing but should’ve been voluntary option

great server to remember your preferences! BTW that dress is a lovely shade on you. So refreshing to see people make an effort to dress up a bit for dinner out. Makes it so much more of a festive occasion

You know I’m a dog lover. However, non service animals inSide dining venues is a real disservice to those with allergies. it strikes me as unhygienic at the very least; as they could easily introduce fleas & ticks to unsuspecting diners after the pooch has departed ew

I would have been upset about the reservation too:headache:

But seeing your cousin was a nice unexpected bonus!!

We were annoyed at the policy for sure. But, yes, had a good ending meeting up with my cousin. Neither of us could believe how long it had been and how many of the other cousins we hadn`t seen either.......it`s a shame but when folks all move around and live in different parts of the country and the world, it happens sadly.

Think we`ll keep in touch now and again now though.......

Ugh! I'm so sorry the castle was a bust...but how nice to catch up with a relative you haven't seen in a long time! I can't imagine how congested it is in the summer. Smart move to come in the off season. Your meals do look so delicious. I would be eagerly enjoying every bite as well. So sorry we are getting near the end, as this is a lovely interlude :D

Oh I couldn`t deal with crowds like they get day in day out in the summer......you could see some locals getting annoyed as some were standing in the midle of the road taking pictures completely unaware of their surroundings.......I think Tom`s head would explode dealing with that daily.

The food was so good.....and why we put on weight!!! lol......We very rarely have three courses every day for a week.....it caught up with us!! But, so much fun...... :rotfl:

Disappointing re the castle’s change in policy. Had thot they’d send out an email day prior to advise folks. Glad they did the right thing but should’ve been voluntary option

great server to remember your preferences! BTW that dress is a lovely shade on you. So refreshing to see people make an effort to dress up a bit for dinner out. Makes it so much more of a festive occasion

You know I’m a dog lover. However, non service animals inSide dining venues is a real disservice to those with allergies. it strikes me as unhygienic at the very least; as they could easily introduce fleas & ticks to unsuspecting diners after the pooch has departed ew

Yes, we thought it was a poor practice on their part. But, getting the refund was all we wanted after that and happily they did. I half expected to have to fight for it, but they very kindly agreed. Good customer service, but I did wonder how many complaints they got that day alone. I`d go back if we were in the area again, just not while the restrictions are in place. Looked gorgeous though.

Thank you! I love that colour although don`t have many items that colour.......we always dress up for dinner in varying degrees, I agree it makes it feel more of an occasion.

Yes, like you, some of my dog loving friends don`t want dogs in a restaurant. I like dogs Janet, I really do, but have to agree with only service dogs. I`d prefer they not be around dining rooms, however casual the place is. This dog did have a lot of hair around it as it moved, so yes, never thought of allergies for people.

Good thing it's lunchtime around here, those photos are making me hungry! I adore a good pate, glad Toms was a winner!

Your story about the old gentlemen was touching....I enjoy striking up conversations as well.

Thank you so much for your lovely report. I think I enjoyed it even more than your Orlando ones. I really felt for that woman at the Palace having to give all those visitors that bad news. As you said it wasn't her doing but she had to deal with all the irate people. Not fair! It was very interesting to see all those small towns/villages. They did look like something out of a movie scene or a novel from years gone by. I found it interesting to see cars parked facing both directions at the sides of the road, and also thought I'd feel I was taking my life into my hands stepping out of my home some mornings living so close to the street. Thanks again, I hope you're day is going well.

What a wonderful week! I loved seeing all the scenery and the food and hearing about your adventures. Loved your encounter with the sweet old man as well! I was very close to my grandmother and have a huge soft spot in my heart for the elderly❤

Good thing it's lunchtime around here, those photos are making me hungry! I adore a good pate, glad Toms was a winner!

Your story about the old gentlemen was touching....I enjoy striking up conversations as well.

lol......I always make sure I eat before I post......

I detest Pate, could never eat it, but Tom said I would like it, and he was right.....only had a tiny bit though.

Like you we can start conversations anywhere with anyone.......and it`s always so much fun talking to people from all over. Tom usually leaves me alone for two seconds and comes back and I`m chatting away to someone.......happened this morning in a farm shop, he wandered off to get a trolley (cart) and came to find me discussing a woman`s migraine she had last night......it was one of those....you had to be there moments......lol......

Thank you so much for your lovely report. I think I enjoyed it even more than your Orlando ones. I really felt for that woman at the Palace having to give all those visitors that bad news. As you said it wasn't her doing but she had to deal with all the irate people. Not fair! It was very interesting to see all those small towns/villages. They did look like something out of a movie scene or a novel from years gone by. I found it interesting to see cars parked facing both directions at the sides of the road, and also thought I'd feel I was taking my life into my hands stepping out of my home some mornings living so close to the street. Thanks again, I hope you're day is going well.

Well hello stranger........:)

So good to see you!!!

I`m so glad you enjoyed reading it, I`ll take that as a big compliment......yes, I felt for the staff, I`d never speak to them the way some folks were, completely a thankless task for them. And she was so lovely anyway.

A lot of those villages and towns are in many tv shows and it`s fun to walk around and remember which shows they were in. The roads were fairly quietish in the town we stayed in, but yes, if you`re not used to it, it`s different.

Hope things are good with you and nice to see you......:wave2:

What a wonderful week! I loved seeing all the scenery and the food and hearing about your adventures. Loved your encounter with the sweet old man as well! I was very close to my grandmother and have a huge soft spot in my heart for the elderly❤

Thank you Andrea......it really was a better week than I had hoped for. Weather was supposed to be dreadful the whole time, but turned out all right most days.

Oh I hear you on that. He was the sweetest man and I just wanted to hug him. He was obviously a very proud man, but you could feel his heart was still so much with his wife. How lovely you were so close to your grandmother. Both of mine passed when I was quite young, well, had my mum`s mum till I was 10.

But, it is a special relationship with Grandparents.

Hope you`re doing ok....... :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter