14 NIGHTS SAPPHIRE FALLS...MARDI GRAS-MINIONS-HARRY & MORE...MARCH 2019 TR

Still studying Disney Springs....:D

So, while at Universal, although we do like to eat offsite a lot, we do enjoy several meals at Citywalk.

Although there are a few we don't enjoy and don't feel the need to go back to....we still have plenty of choices there for lunch or dinner.….or just drinks!!!

Places we don't go are Bubba Gumps, HRC and Toothsome.....Bubba Gump has never impressed us and we find the food to be poor. Drinks and service are good though...…

Toothsome is a beautiful restaurant and has a good menu, but the things we ordered just disappointed us so much. Don`t feel the need to go back again......although we haven't tried their desserts or milk shakes which folks seem to love or hate...…..

HRC is just too loud. Simple as that......I guess I must be getting old!!!

Antojitos get`s good reviews, but we aren't really fans of that type of food either...….except maybe fajitas and Nachos......but everything seems to have onion in, which although I love onions, I have an intolerance to them now......I do miss them!!!!

The quick service places we haven't been to in years although Breadbox does look like somewhere Tom would like as he is a big sandwich fan...….

So, we are left with a few places that we do enjoy...….

Margaritaville is somewhere we stopped going for a while, standards and quality dropped, but last two years it seems to have picked up massively......we enjoy the food and also it`s a fabulous place to just go and enjoy a drink at the bar......they make a fabulous Blackberry Margarita...….

There is always a fun atmosphere in here with stilt walkers and music....even when there`s not live music, there is always music playing.....and a lot of Jimmy Buffet...….surprisingly enough.....and you get to sing along too...…

Over the years we`ve had some wonderful nights in here...…

i-XkMWJwm-XL.jpg

i-PskZRWf-XL.jpg

i-RWpRbQp-XL.jpg

i-2sBWJCg-XL.jpg

And one of the things Margaritaville is most famous for is of course their giant nachos.....and I don't believe pictures can ever do them justice...…they are massive!!!

I hate chilli, so we got the chopped chicken and it was beautiful...….

i-GR8nNJx-XL.jpg

One of the other places we do enjoy is NBC......used to be Nascar and although we miss that for a few dishes that we really enjoyed, NBC is a good fill for it.

Menu is varied and has something for everyone...….except steak......I got one and had to send it back, and a few other people have commented they don't seem to be able to cook them properly, which is a shame.

Their burgers are amazing and probably better than Cowfish which we really enjoy...….

i-qK85vzm-XL.jpg

i-QKXkfk8-XL.jpg

They also do a chicken nachos...….nowhere near as large as M`ville, but they were lovely and incredibly fresh.....and we still couldn't finish them between us...…..

i-wxkLQSd-XL.jpg

We missed Cowfish out in December as it`s somewhere that wouldn't be Kyle`s first choice to eat....he doesn't eat sushi (trying to convert him) and burgers aren't high on his list of food he enjoys.....but we do like this place a lot...….

It`s very noisy on the main floor, and we do enjoy when we get to go up to the top floor where it can be a little quieter...….

But, food and service are exceptional...….there`s really not much to complain about in here.....

i-LjSx35Z-XL.jpg

i-2HjJdvL-XL.jpg

One of the newer places in Citywalk is Voodoo Doughnuts...….

This splits opinions too....some love them, some don't......we love them!!!!

Anyone who read last years March trip will know we had a unique meeting with the Chairman of Citywalk and the top guy who runs Universal Orlando Resort.....two very nice and unassuming men....we had no clue who we were talking to when we started the conversation.....anyway, rather kindly the guy who runs UO insisted we each get a donut of our choice, and this was the day before the store actually opened......so we were thrilled with this and were very grateful for the kindness.

And we really enjoyed them.....

i-z3ZcWbw-XL.jpg

i-LvCjmf4-XL.jpg

Our next visit was slightly less interesting.....but the doughnuts were still as good...…they have so many and unique flavours, it is hard to choose just a couple......but the maple bacon is one of my favourites…..but there are others we enjoy too.

Definitely a place worth visiting...…..

i-srP8tzf-XL.jpg

i-3X6vWnf-XL.jpg

i-W35KbGB-XL.jpg

Citywalk is fun.

It`s not a huge place like Disney Springs, but does have a few decent places to eat, and exciting to see the announcement of what is replacing Emerils…..shouldn't be too long now!!!!

Last year after the parade, we did enjoy a few drinks in M`ville…...but of course it does get busy when park closes...…..

We never make reservations for dinner except for The Palm, if somewhere is too busy, we go somewhere else.....we hate the idea of day to day having to plan when we eat and where.....so Universal suits us down to the ground with that...……

There are a few little stores, including the Fossil shop.....but, I`d never tell anyone to go their as a shopping place...….there just aren't enough stores to make it worthwhile.

So, this is another place we have some nice choices for dinner or lunch...….it`s so convenient as it sits between both parks, and you do have to walk through it to get to the parks...…

There is a cinema in Citywalk too, we`ve never been as I`m not a fan of the cinema......love movies, just get a little irritated at the whisperers, gigglers, texters, coughers, candy wrapper rustling and generally any mix of the above who tend to frequent the cinema......so it`s easier to avoid unless we`re going to see a show during the day when there`s hardly anyone else there.....

The minigolf is a lot of fun...……

Both sides are good and we have done both sides, Alien themed and Haunted...….we prefer the Haunted side...….and best done at night...…

i-ssjnssP-XL.jpg

i-RtSVGH6-XL.jpg

i-xrW5kxs-XL.jpg

i-77LbFgN-XL.jpg

i-rqzpSWT-XL.jpg

i-t2Lkc2w-XL.jpg

i-jLbvwjj-XL.jpg

Coming up...….Disney Springs thoughts...…...

Joining in! So excited to hear that you will visit Disney Springs!!!! Nice shopping there. I like Blaze Pizza and Earl of Sandwich for quick service too.

Homecomin’ is really standing out for us along with Boathouse.......and a few others.......:laughing: trouble is we will only visit once, so serious decisions to be made!!!

That is on my list of places to try at DS but like you I will only be there once on my next trip so perhaps just one meal...and then maybe another spot for dessert...or...also thinking of going to a couple of bar/lounge type things and have a snack and drink at each...to be able to experience more than one place lol

I was impressed by your pics and review of Longhorn - I've never been to one (from Canada, and we don't have a lot of the chains either) and you made it seem surprisingly good!

Joining in! So excited to hear that you will visit Disney Springs!!!! Nice shopping there. I like Blaze Pizza and Earl of Sandwich for quick service too.

WELCOME Minniedoc.......Fabulous to see you here too!!!

Yes, we thought DS would be worth seeing after so long.......

I do remember EOS from all those years again, and have heard from TM friends at Universal who visit Disney that Blaze Pizza is very good......we won’t be short on choice......

Hope you enjoy this one too........:)

That is on my list of places to try at DS but like you I will only be there once on my next trip so perhaps just one meal...and then maybe another spot for dessert...or...also thinking of going to a couple of bar/lounge type things and have a snack and drink at each...to be able to experience more than one place lol

I was impressed by your pics and review of Longhorn - I've never been to one (from Canada, and we don't have a lot of the chains either) and you made it seem surprisingly good!

Yes, a meal will be lovely, but we also like sitting at a bar or lounge and having cocktails and snacks.......so, we’ll look at those too........

Longhorn is cheap and cheerful, but we have always been pleasantly surprised by how good it is for the prices.....we first went in 2007 and have gone every year since.......the steaks for the price are excellent......and as long as you avoid the one on I Drive which is dreadful, you won’t go far wrong........I can thoroughly recommend the one in LBV.....and good cocktails too..........::yes::

I really hope anyone who reads this enjoys it, and love to hear your comments on the way along......
So glad you started this! I would have gone through serious withdrawals. Trying to reread previous trip reports and take notes for our visit. We have such a short time there I dont want to be back on the plane home remembering something I wanted to do.

So glad you started this! I would have gone through serious withdrawals. Trying to reread previous trip reports and take notes for our visit. We have such a short time there I dont want to be back on the plane home remembering something I wanted to do.

Did you have a king cake? This was my first year and while the cake was kind of unforgettable, it was kind of fun. I did not get the piece with the baby so no good luck for me this year.

Another warm WELCOME Along to this one Vicki......::yes::

Oh my goodness, I understand trying to fit as much in as possible!!!

We didn’t have a piece of King Cake.......to be honest we’re not the biggest sweet toothed people so we gave it a pass.....but my nephew sent me a picture of him and his fiancée having some few nights ago and I think we’ll give it a try........even if we don’t like it......

I did hear about a piece with the baby......lol......sounds so odd.......

But, again, glad you’re along for this one too....hope it’s fun for you :)

In 2007 we made our first trip to the USA as a family......Tom had previously visited Miami in 1982 with friends for his 22nd birthday, quite unusual back then....you hardly heard of anyone going to America on vacation, very different to today`s travels. And always vowed he`d go back to Florida one day...…

So 07 was my 40th birthday year...….

And we had originally thought Tom and I would go to New York for 5 nights......we didn't plan to take Kyle as we could barely get him to come shopping with us at home.....couldn't imagine taking him to the shopping capital of the world!!!!

Then, Kyle said well, I`d like to come too...….so...….a few discussions and many internet searches later we ended up with a trip to Orlando in September for 2 weeks and we stayed offsite at the Buena Vista Palace, next to Downtown Disney.

Disney had never really been on my radar, although we had visited Disneyland Paris many times, and although we enjoyed it.....it wasn't somewhere we thought of for a big celebration.....but Orlando and Florida itself piqued my interest.....

i-sfXtKTM-XL.jpg

i-nZsDPhz-XL.jpg

i-Rvcjv7q-XL.jpg

And we loved it there......we visited Disney and Universal, an overnight stay at Clearwater Beach
and...…………………
We first discovered Mall at Millenia this trip...….

Even back then, we much preferred Universal over Disney......but not taking anything away from Disney, we did have a good time....especially as there was no one there...….it was September and the crowds hadn't really arrived then...….

i-hBrMDpq-XL.jpg

I`m even wearing a Disney tee shirt ::yes:: ...….I had gotten my one and only case of sunburn in America the day before, and the tee shirt was an emergency purchase to cover the burn...….although why it was pink I have no idea!! But, it worked...….

This image below was taken on a Thursday just before the 3pm parade was about to start...…..

i-Hc6bbZS-XL.jpg

We have fabulous memories for example of going on Splash Mountain......there was no one in line and one time, didn't get off the boat and went around 5 or 6 times...….the CM was happy to just wave us on again......changed days indeed!!!!

We remember enjoying Downtown Disney especially at night...…..and one meal that sticks out as magnificent is House of Blues.....before any Dining plan from memory......no booking, we just walked in and the place was less than half full...….

And one outstanding food memory for Tom and I was the appetiser of Voodoo Shrimp in House of Blues...…..this was divine!!!! And we always thought we`d like it again...…..and we almost did recently when we had dinner with friends in Amatista and Keisha`s husband and I ordered the shrimp starter...…..and it reminded me of this dish.....minus the cornbread.....which I loved!!!!!

i-TLVNDtM-XL.jpg

So, we do have some lovely memories of our time when we did visit Disney and especially evenings in Downtown Disney...….

So, as we hadn't even set foot in Disney or that area since 2008 we thought maybe this trip we`d have a wander over and see what it`s like today...…..

We had heard bits and pieces, but I hadn't looked at any pictures or updates as we had no plans to visit......but, a few people had said we`d maybe like it better today and one of our friends daughter is a manager in one of the Disney Value hotels......and she said she`d love to meet us there one day......so we began to think maybe we should take a wander over...….

But, as we do only plan a short visit, maybe a morning and lunch, then leave......we were torn as to where to eat......I had to agree with those that said the restaurants were a better standard than they used to be, they certainly gave us a dilemma over where to eat.

We aren't the biggest shoppers, but can wander round a shopping area with the best of them......and we had originally thought we may do the Amphicars…...but looking at them now, I`m not sure it`s something I really want to do.

The balloon ride is out......I hate heights.....and as someone who is genuinely afraid of heights, I couldn't do it......so I won`t be attempting that one...….I`m fine with rollercoasters and such, but being so still and just hanging there isn't appealing...….I do get clammy palms walking over bridges and such and can`t watch anyone doing anything at a height...….not fun!!!!

Things like this make me ill!!!!!

So, really that just leaves food to think about...

And this past weekend we did look at all the options and have finally narrowed it down to just four options.....

We do like a table service place as opposed to quick service...…..so we knocked off the counter service places, although there are a few of them that look nice...….

HOMECOMIN' RESTAURANT

First choice is chicken!!!!! Anything that has biscuits and spicy fried chicken is good in our book......and I like the portions are large without being overwhelming...….so, we definitely think we could eat here and have plenty of options for a nice lunch.

Disney_4.0.jpg

BOATHOUSE RESTAURANT

Seafood.

We adore seafood...….and fresher the better......I much prefer it without the coating or batter that so many places do......so the thought of a seafood platter like this excites us...….

MORIMOTO ASIA

And Asian food is a favourite cuisine of ours...….and if it`s spicy.....even better...….and Tink1957 already posted some pictures for us and what she had looked lovely...….and a saki sangria sounds very interesting...…

JOCK LINDSAYS HANGAR BAR

This place I had never heard of at all...…..but wow!!!!!

It really looks like a place we would enjoy, and could certainly picture going at night and having a blast in there.....food and drink looks amazing!!!!

Seeing the jalapeno hooked me straight away...…..::yes::

So folks...…..you can see what a dilemma we have......one lunch only and three fabulous looking choices.....of course we could go back in May for a lunch, but I`m not sure we will.

I always say though, never say never...…...our plans are always flexible to go anywhere really.....

More plans coming up...…….

In 2007 we made our first trip to the USA as a family......Tom had previously visited Miami in 1982 with friends for his 22nd birthday, quite unusual back then....you hardly heard of anyone going to America on vacation, very different to today`s travels. And always vowed he`d go back to Florida one day...…

So 07 was my 40th birthday year...….

And we had originally thought Tom and I would go to New York for 5 nights......we didn't plan to take Kyle as we could barely get him to come shopping with us at home.....couldn't imagine taking him to the shopping capital of the world!!!!

Then, Kyle said well, I`d like to come too...….so...….a few discussions and many internet searches later we ended up with a trip to Orlando in September for 2 weeks and we stayed offsite at the Buena Vista Palace, next to Downtown Disney.

Disney had never really been on my radar, although we had visited Disneyland Paris many times, and although we enjoyed it.....it wasn't somewhere we thought of for a big celebration.....but Orlando and Florida itself piqued my interest.....

i-sfXtKTM-XL.jpg

i-nZsDPhz-XL.jpg

i-Rvcjv7q-XL.jpg

And we loved it there......we visited Disney and Universal, an overnight stay at Clearwater Beach

and...…………………

We first discovered Mall at Millenia this trip...….

Even back then, we much preferred Universal over Disney......but not taking anything away from Disney, we did have a good time....especially as there was no one there...….it was September and the crowds hadn't really arrived then...….

i-hBrMDpq-XL.jpg

I`m even wearing a Disney tee shirt ::yes:: ...….I had gotten my one and only case of sunburn in America the day before, and the tee shirt was an emergency purchase to cover the burn...….although why it was pink I have no idea!! But, it worked...….

This image below was taken on a Thursday just before the 3pm parade was about to start...…..

i-Hc6bbZS-XL.jpg

We have fabulous memories for example of going on Splash Mountain......there was no one in line and one time, didn't get off the boat and went around 5 or 6 times...….the CM was happy to just wave us on again......changed days indeed!!!!

We remember enjoying Downtown Disney especially at night...…..and one meal that sticks out as magnificent is House of Blues.....before any Dining plan from memory......no booking, we just walked in and the place was less than half full...….

And one outstanding food memory for Tom and I was the appetiser of Voodoo Shrimp in House of Blues...…..this was divine!!!! And we always thought we`d like it again...…..and we almost did recently when we had dinner with friends in Amatista and Keisha`s husband and I ordered the shrimp starter...…..and it reminded me of this dish.....minus the cornbread.....which I loved!!!!!

i-TLVNDtM-XL.jpg

So, we do have some lovely memories of our time when we did visit Disney and especially evenings in Downtown Disney...….

So, as we hadn't even set foot in Disney or that area since 2008 we thought maybe this trip we`d have a wander over and see what it`s like today...…..

We had heard bits and pieces, but I hadn't looked at any pictures or updates as we had no plans to visit......but, a few people had said we`d maybe like it better today and one of our friends daughter is a manager in one of the Disney Value hotels......and she said she`d love to meet us there one day......so we began to think maybe we should take a wander over...….

But, as we do only plan a short visit, maybe a morning and lunch, then leave......we were torn as to where to eat......I had to agree with those that said the restaurants were a better standard than they used to be, they certainly gave us a dilemma over where to eat.

We aren't the biggest shoppers, but can wander round a shopping area with the best of them......and we had originally thought we may do the Amphicars…...but looking at them now, I`m not sure it`s something I really want to do.

The balloon ride is out......I hate heights.....and as someone who is genuinely afraid of heights, I couldn't do it......so I won`t be attempting that one...….I`m fine with rollercoasters and such, but being so still and just hanging there isn't appealing...….I do get clammy palms walking over bridges and such and can`t watch anyone doing anything at a height...….not fun!!!!

Things like this make me ill!!!!!

So, really that just leaves food to think about...

And this past weekend we did look at all the options and have finally narrowed it down to just four options.....

We do like a table service place as opposed to quick service...…..so we knocked off the counter service places, although there are a few of them that look nice...….

HOMECOMIN' RESTAURANT

First choice is chicken!!!!! Anything that has biscuits and spicy fried chicken is good in our book......and I like the portions are large without being overwhelming...….so, we definitely think we could eat here and have plenty of options for a nice lunch.

Disney_4.0.jpg

BOATHOUSE RESTAURANT

Seafood.

We adore seafood...….and fresher the better......I much prefer it without the coating or batter that so many places do......so the thought of a seafood platter like this excites us...….

MORIMOTO ASIA

And Asian food is a favourite cuisine of ours...….and if it`s spicy.....even better...….and Tink1957 already posted some pictures for us and what she had looked lovely...….and a saki sangria sounds very interesting...…

JOCK LINDSAYS HANGAR BAR

This place I had never heard of at all...…..but wow!!!!!

It really looks like a place we would enjoy, and could certainly picture going at night and having a blast in there.....food and drink looks amazing!!!!

Seeing the jalapeno hooked me straight away...…..::yes::

So folks...…..you can see what a dilemma we have......one lunch only and three fabulous looking choices.....of course we could go back in May for a lunch, but I`m not sure we will.

I always say though, never say never...…...our plans are always flexible to go anywhere really.....

More plans coming up...…….

Dilemma indeed!!!

Personally I’ll never turn down a meal at Boathouse, plus I love the theme.

OMG Kyle is adorable in that picture of you and him! You all look just the same as you did in the early years. (Did notice you aren't wearing any jewelry...) Oh my, Tom is the same age as my much younger 'baby' sister!

All of the food looks fabulous, maybe a bit too hot for me.....:firefight which is really weird considering I come from a state where hot food is all you can get. Red chile, green chile or 'Christmas' (not chilli as in beans etc, but the actual chile peppers we are very famous for)

Last edited:
OMG Kyle is adorable in that picture of you and him! You all look just the same as you did in the early years. (Did notice you aren't wearing any jewelry...) Oh my, Tom is the same age as my much younger 'baby' sister!

All of the food looks fabulous, maybe a bit too hot for me.....:firefight which is really weird considering I come from a state where hot food is all you can get. Red chile, green chile or 'Christmas' (not chilli as in beans etc, but the actual chile peppers we are very famous for)

He does look adorable!!! Of course I’m biased.......::yes:: Oh I look in the mirror some mornings and think who the heck is that.....lol.........yes, Tom will be 60 this year.........can’t quite believe it........:)

I don’t actually wear an awful lot of jewellery, and even less then........only my wedding and engagement ring which you can’t see in that picture........the jewellery Tom bought me for my 50th and our wedding anniversary are my main rings I wear all the time........and I never take the first Tiffany necklace he bought me off either.......I do have other stuff, but stick to the classics. I didn’t even notice that!! Lol.......

I adore peppers....the hot ones.......all kinds!! I have managed to grow a small chilly plant at home and they don’t yield much, but boy are they potent!!! Would love to live where they are prevalent........I’d do well in Jamaica where they grow ultra super hot ones........except I detest reggae music......so maybe that’s not the place for me after all!!!

Oh we are torn!

But, seeing more than a few negatives with Boathouse.......my nephew ate there few days ago and didn’t like it at all.......service was poor and food cold.......so.......not sure about it, but there’s so many lovely choices we could enjoy there.........I think it’s our second choice now..........

Plenty of time to decide..........:)

Oh that’s never good to hear.

upload_2019-2-18_17-23-59.png
These are the chiles I spoke of. Best way to eat them is roast, peel remove seeds stuff with cheese, fry with a flour and egg coating (green one's only) Chile Rellenos. Or as a green chile stew in varying forms, or a green sauce for enchiladas, eggs etc. The red are best dried and made into a powder for a chile sauce for enchiladas, Tamales, carne adovada etc.

They are about 7-8 inches long, range in heat from mild (me) to Xtra hot (you), they are very meaty but definitely need the skin off and the seeds out.
They are so famous that they have a patent on them.

Guess Tom is a year younger than my sis. Threw me off with the 22nd birthday in 1982.

Last edited:
I've been to Morimoto and loved it. I am thinking I'll take Davy to the Boathouse at Christmas. If you go there, let me know how it is! Also, Jock Lindsays Hangar Bar is from Indiana Jones -- you may have known that. And, I need Tom's private email so I can tell him about a certain area he needs to see there... ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!