14 year old running half alone

quandrea

DIS Veteran
My dd, 14 is interested in running the Star Wars half marathon in April. She would be doing the race alone. Is this feasible? Are there other runners this age that do the race alone? I thought I’d buy the cheer package so I can be at the finish. Thanks for any advice. We are new to this and I need to book our dvc ASAP.

I did the 10K by myself at 16. Then the Half by myself at 17. If she feels she would be okay by herself then I think it would be okay.

I'd just make sure they're aware of proper safety issues (i.e. when something bad is happening to them healthwise, how to hydrate properly etc). Make sure your contact info is on their bib, and remember that they really won't be alone. There will be a huge amount of people there, so if something does happen, there will be people around to assist/call for help.

I'd just make sure they're aware of proper safety issues (i.e. when something bad is happening to them healthwise, how to hydrate properly etc). Make sure your contact info is on their bib, and remember that they really won't be alone. There will be a huge amount of people there, so if something does happen, there will be people around to assist/call for help.
This was my thinking too. She swims competitively and travels with her team without us. She does well on her own. So long as it’s appropriate, I’m okay with it. She’s very excited. We are here now and she’s training.

i’ve seen plenty of runners who run the races alone who are younger than that (although usually shorter distances then a half - there was a 12 year old running his 55th 5k this year). assuming she trains for it and enjoys running she’ll be totally fine. and i’m sure someone on these boards will have no problem taking her to the start and making sure she gets into corral etc on time. if no one volunteers to help just pm me - i’m running dark side.

note you don’t need the cheer package to be at the finish. however it’s nice to get something at the expo so everyone kind of has a shirt to wear race day. and they have reserved seats and coffee/hot chocolate.

i’ve seen plenty of runners who run the races alone who are younger than that (although usually shorter distances then a half - there was a 12 year old running his 55th 5k this year). assuming she trains for it and enjoys running she’ll be totally fine. and i’m sure someone on these boards will have no problem taking her to the start and making sure she gets into corral etc on time. if no one volunteers to help just pm me - i’m running dark side.

note you don’t need the cheer package to be at the finish. however it’s nice to get something at the expo so everyone kind of has a shirt to wear race day. and they have reserved seats and coffee/hot chocolate.
Thank you so much. I’m going to register her tomorrow and book our room at OKW. I’ll probably take you up on that offer.

My son did the light side 10k last January at 12yo and was fine. He had done a few 5ks with me and I felt confident that he knew race etiquette and how to take care of himself.

He has no interest in a Half (he’s a dancer, and 13 miles isn’t fun like a 10k), but if he did next year and I thought he would put in the training I would be ok with it.

Read the digital event guide together when it comes out, and brief her on pre-race procedures you’ve read about on this forum, and she’ll be ahead of the game. Once the event starts, all she has to do is follow the crowd.

Thanks everyone. Booked accommodation this morning. Will register after I get back from the parks today. Dd decided to run the virtual half while we are here on holiday. In April, she’s doing the 5k and the Half Marathon. She wants the Kessel medal too! We are so excited for her!

My dd has done the WDW 10K at 10 last year and 11 this year by herself with no issues. We do make her carry a phone so we can track her.

My kids have been running races for years. My oldest is 14 and I would have no issue with him running a half marathon alone (well, except that a 10k is plenty for him and a HM would cause too much pain and suffering). I would have her carry a phone and get a Flip Belt or Spibelt (and practice running with it to adjust the bounce).

Good for her--that is quite an accomplishment at 14!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!