$15 Minimum Wage by 2021!

Thats not enough to live in the year 2018. By 2021, they are going to be wishing they were making more

Then again, I understand it’s basic entry level work for most of the workers and barely requires any schooling besides a GED, so I understand why you shouldn’t expect to get paid a lot, esp to start.

I would assume certain positions start at more but I don’t know how it works at Disney.

I heard that on the radio here. New employees will get a starting bonus. Funny thing is...here we have a Disney Store in one of our malls. I have applied for a retail job there 4 times and I can't get hired. It is crazy! I have been working for the school system here for more than 10 years and have about 15 years of retail experience. I guess it will be even harder to get a job there now!

In 1970 I was 18 years old and started working in the motion picture business. It was a union job and my starting pay was $28.50 an hour. I worked in it for 32 years and retired at 50. Hate to tell you what I was making then.

50% more chicken feed than they get today! And a little more than starting pay for an Oklahoma teacher!

Unreal. Oklahoma teachers barely clear 30k?

This is the real issue. It's not that CMs aren't still underpaid, it's that most everyone is. If you could make 25 dollars an hour working at Disney or Chick-fil-a, there are a lot of people who would just be happy doing that (myself included) and not try for anything with more responsibility and stress. How do you balance (1) Incentivizing people to pursue skilled positions/higher education so that we can have the highest quality service across all industries (2) Making sure the lower class and unskilled workers make a living wage and are taken care of (3) Inflation?

I hope to see a day where we figure that out, and people working CM type jobs across the country can suddenly afford to go to WDW. And ya know, afford to feed themselves and go to the doctor when they need to.

It is amazing the huge difference in cost of living place to place. What seems impossible as a living wage in San Francisco buys a huge tract of land in Alabama. Be careful to avoid this trap when looking at living wage from place to place.

Economics gets tricky. Whole Foods once changed their policy that they would only buy food from sources that paid double what their current average was. The impact on food prices to consumers was zero. It all comes down to what a company values and what they can get away with. Whole Foods knew people would not pay more for an apple but paying a decent wage was important to them so they took the cut. Large, successful companies rarely work so close to their margins that they can’t absorb some extra costs. (I know many small business do work right on that line but that is not where Disney is).

Unreal. Oklahoma teachers barely clear 30k?

This is the real issue. It's not that CMs aren't still underpaid, it's that most everyone is. If you could make 25 dollars an hour working at Disney or Chick-fil-a, there are a lot of people who would just be happy doing that (myself included) and not try for anything with more responsibility and stress. How do you balance (1) Incentivizing people to pursue skilled positions/higher education so that we can have the highest quality service across all industries (2) Making sure the lower class and unskilled workers make a living wage and are taken care of (3) Inflation?

I hope to see a day where we figure that out, and people working CM type jobs across the country can suddenly afford to go to WDW. And ya know, afford to feed themselves and go to the doctor when they need to.
$31,600 for 2017-18 school year. They managed to get a decent raise this school year, but they had to basically shut down the schools to do it!
http://sde.ok.gov/sde/sites/ok.gov....les/17-18 State Minimum Salary Schedule_1.pdf

Last edited:
Nothing in this world is free. By raising wages, then job specifics become more clearly defined or scope reduced, or something else. There was a trade off, perhaps no overtime after a ten hour stretch? No flexibility in selecting hours? No three man crews when two can accomplish the task? Disney got something in return that over the long run will cover the increased costs, bet on it.
Besides, who decided $15 was a living wage? Why not $20 or $25 an hour? How many union contracts are tied to the minimum wage, forcing union members to get raises too? Now that everyone makes 30K, Disney can make room nights over $250 per night, oh wait, they already did... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!