16yo crushed by third row seat in Honda van and police can't find him as he calls 911 using Siri

This situation is so sad...

I remember when I was getting ready to deploy a few years ago, and we had to do rollover drills in the humvee. So it stops upside down and you’re supposed to put one hand on the roof and unhook your seatbelt with the other had, drop down, and open the door. Well I have useless spindly arms and couldn’t support myself when I unhooked the seatbelt. All my body weight plus flak jacket came crashing down on my head and neck. It was very scary all that compression, I couldn't breathe for what felt like forever (really just a few seconds) and thought I was going to have to be rescued.

I can’t imagine how this poor boy felt :(

[QUOTE="Pea-n-Me, post: 59084001, member: 70088

They also said his phone was way up in the front seat. He must've operated Siri remotely??[/QUOTE]

It is called “hey Siri”. On newer iPhones, you set up Siri to recognize your voice. After she is set up, you just say “hey Siri” and then she answers. You can ask her questions, ask her to call someone, ask her to play music, etc. She does all this as long as your phone is within earshot - it does not have to be in your hand.

That is how he called the police even though his phone wasn’t right with him.

It is called “hey Siri”. On newer iPhones, you set up Siri to recognize your voice. After she is set up, you just say “hey Siri” and then she answers. You can ask her questions, ask her to call someone, ask her to play music, etc. She does all this as long as your phone is within earshot - it does not have to be in your hand.

That is how he called the police even though his phone wasn’t right with him.
My DD just confirmed this! I didn't even know my phone had the capability, I will have to set it up, thanks.

Both me & DH cried last night when we read it on yahoo because we imagined our son. This is beyond tragic. We teach our kids to call 911 in an emergency and they just didn't come. His last moments were spent telling his mom how much he loves her. =*( So many thoughts and prayers to the family.

Yeah I think I’m really relating to what happened because I have boys. I’m sick about this poor, scared boy who tried getting help and wasn’t taken seriously. It breaks my heart.

The “tell my mom I love her” was the most heartbreaking thing I have ever read.

My DD just confirmed this! I didn't even know my phone had the capability, I will have to set it up, thanks.

I really like this feature, after my mother fell, broke her leg badly and was stuck with her cell phone across the room, I’ve made sure all our phones have hey Siri enabled and everyone knows you can yell things like ‘hey Siri call 911 on speaker’. But I hope none of us need this of course.

So heartbroken for this family.

Just as an aside, Android phones can also be set up to be voice operated by using the Google Assistant. The prompt is "Hey Google" and you can have it launch any of your apps, make calls to contacts or 911, send a text, message, etc. This has been a feature for about two years now, but many people are still unaware of it.

Just as an aside, Android phones can also be set up to be voice operated by using the Google Assistant. The prompt is "Hey Google" and you can have it launch any of your apps, make calls to contacts or 911, send a text, message, etc. This has been a feature for about two years now, but many people are still unaware of it.
It works well too. Almost like having Alexa with you.

The "siri" app is great, but maybe they can somehow tweak it to automatically put the phone on speaker when a 911 request comes in? I think one of the main problems was Kyle could not hear the questions the operator was asking him. He could only yell out and hope she was understanding him.

I can't get this kid out of my head. I listened to the 911 call, and OMG!!! To be 16 and know you are dying. I can't get his dad out of my head. He went looking for him, because he didn't come home. He found him dead, that was bad enough, but then to find out that his kid called 911 and they didn't rescue him, and that he suffered in his last minutes. How do you go on???

The other good thing about the Siri feature is that it is set to call the correct emergency services number based on your location. So if you’re in Australia and tell Siri ‘call 911’ then she will call 000.

I can't get this kid out of my head. I listened to the 911 call, and OMG!!! To be 16 and know you are dying. I can't get his dad out of my head. He went looking for him, because he didn't come home. He found him dead, that was bad enough, but then to find out that his kid called 911 and they didn't rescue him, and that he suffered in his last minutes. How do you go on???

I feel the same way. And I can’t get over the fact, as others have said, that he might’ve been saved if, after calling 911, he had called his parents. Or a friend, classmate, teacher, or coach, who might’ve still been close by on school property at the time. Such a terrible tragedy. :sad1:

Depending on how awkwardly he was positioned, he could have had part of his own body on top of the seat making it that much harder to get out :(

I was curious about how much the bench seat weighs. According to this thread below, it sounds like it's between 113 sand 125 lbs or so. That's pretty heavy, especially when some of it is pressed against your chest.

But reading that thread, it sounds like quite the process to take the seat out. I wonder if the seat had been taken out at some point but not put back together right? I guess we'll eventually see what Honda has to say about it.

http://www.odysseyownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter