• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

17 yr old traveling alone(NEW DILEMA)???

NHBelle

DIS Veteran
My 17 year old brother has decided to join us on our trip to Disney. We are very excited to have him along, but I am worried about him traveling alone. He will have to check into the airport and also change planes. Will he need an ID? Will they ask for a guardian to be present or anything else?

*HE HAS NO DRIVERS LICENSE.

I would call the specific airline and see what their specific rules are. My step-son (Was 13 then) flew to Ohio by himself, and I had to give the names of who would be picking him up in both places. What scared me is that when he came home, he walked right off the plane, and no one verified anything. If he had been younger I hope they would have at least checked. My brother in law told me when he arrived in Ohio, they did ask him for ID, but they didn't here, (In Philadelphia.) I also took his birth certificate, but no one asked for it. I am sure each airline has their own guidelines, and at 17, I'm sure he will be fine as long as you are there to meet him.

He will need a picture ID, either a drivers license or other government issue ID. I wouldn't worry about him traveling alone at age 17 unless he has any type of developmental delay. Airports are so well marked and have so many employees to ask for assistance, he will have no problems.

I traveled without adults at age 17 with my younger brother, our first time to fly, including making a connection at a large and busy airport. It was exciting and fun. We followed the signs and never even had to ask for help.

Peg

I am not so much worried about him finding his way around the airport ect. I guess I am just worried about him being questioned or asked for something like a birth certificate and waht happens if he doesn't have what they want. Unfortuantely, he will drive to the airport alone and arrive in orlando alone and take mears to the hotel to meet us. He is 17 and holds a job and ownes a car and is very responsible, BUT he is still a minor and I just wondered if there was any special documention other than ID that he might need.

They won't ask him for anything but his license. He should be fine.

A 17 year old who is mature enough to drive and hold a job is certainly able to handle themselves flying to WDW. Give him a little credit, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Anne

Make sure he has a phone card (prepaid from COSTCO, Sams Club, BJ's are all good) and the phone number of your resort. If the plane is changed, cancelled or delayed tell him to call your hotel and leave a message so you don't worry. Make sure he confirms his flight (phone call or web). The airlines don't always do a good job calling with schedule changes.

All he'll need is a driver's license or passport. I've been on flights in Orlando where unaccompnied minors are boarded with the first class/frequent flyer/passengers needing special assistance "boarding call". :)

Good idea about the prepaid phone card.

Seventeen year olds are not considered unaccompanied minors. In fact most airlines won't even offer special assistance for them even for a fee, unless they are in some way disabled.

Anne

We've had foreign exchange students under 18 years old who traveled from Europe with no problems. They had passports for their ID.
My niece (17 at the time) traveled with her sister, who was 8 from Wisconsin to New York city last Spring. They didn't have any problem at all.
I'd suggest that you call the airline or look at their website to ease your concerns, but in general as long as he has a driver's license, no one will be asking him for other ID.
The calling card idea is good, but I have one additional suggestion. Have him try it out beforehand. My DD traveled to Russian with a friend last year and came back on her own. (She had just turned 19). When she tried the calling card in Detroit to tell us her plane was delayed, she couldn't get it to work. She was able to use her bank cash card to pay for the phone, but that was more expensive.

eariler you said he owns a car ....does this mean he lost his license??? If so most states will replace it fairly quickly in PA it is done while you wait...

If he doesn't have any license at all the Department of Motor Vehicle in our state will issue a state ID...similar to a license but you can't drive with it....I'd check into him getting one of these before he leaves....cheaper then a passport...

Most of the problems encountered by young people traveling alone are caused by other people trying to push them around or discriminating against them. Airlines have the unaccompanied minor fee program to help take care of these problems.

For example would he know what to do if he got to his seat in the plane and the person in the next seat was large enough to occupy part of it?

Answer:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/fatso.htm

Your brother must have a picture id from school...my teens used that before they got their licenses.

Herc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter