180 days really?

CSHaydt

Mouseketeer
I've had friends and family tell me that i really need to make my sit down reservations 180 days ahead or i won't get into character meals or special dinners...

i had a friend say that they went with the flow and weren't able to get into any restaurants till late in the evening or too early to eat dinner? Where is the in-between and if i make reservations that far in advance is it easy to cancel that day and go somewhere else? We have a 4 year old who is use to eating no later then 6 each night or we'll lose him and he'll be done the rest of the night.

Now i just heard that you don't know the magic hours of parks till 180 days before now how do you know which parks to plan for?

It really depends on when you are going. If you are going during peak or free dining times, you will need ADRs ASAP. We are going in late April which is after Easter and many spring breaks. I am still able to make ADRs and I'm 9w out. I was even able to make a CRT ADR at around 12w out.

I am with you though...how do you know what you will feel like eating 180 days out? Or what park you plan on being in? You don't. I always wait until EMHs come out before I make my plans. It's a risk I take.

You will be ok, but you may not always be able to get the exact restaurant or time you want. GL!

It is true you need to make ressies that far in advance. It is crazy! Last year was our first trip to DW and my niece (the DW veteran) helped me, I had no idea that you couldn't just eat where ever whenever.....crazy!!

So we planned them all out, at that time it was 90 days out and we were already in that 90 day time frame, needless to say we couldn't get 2 we wanted.

As for booking with hours. You can use last year's hours as a guide. It isn't perfect but is pretty close, close enough you shouldn't have an issue. That is what I did for our Dec. trip and it worked out great!
This time got everything we wanted!!

It depends on when you're going. If you're going during peak times and especially during free dining, then it's more important than in a slower time. But don't think that if you wait until 179 days out that you're not going to get what you want because that's not true. I believe the EMHs are posted at 180 days out, so you can always just see when they are and make your reservations that day or a day or two later. If they're not released yet, you could always make reservations at the 180 day mark and then trade them out for better ones once you find out the EMHs. If there aren't dinner times that suit your family, you can always do the table service for lunch and eat counter service for supper. If you're flexible, you can make it work. Last May, my husband and I went without any dining reservations except for Cinderella's Royal Table. We never had trouble getting into a table service restaurant except for one night at the Magic Kingdom - and we just boarded the monorail and ate at the Polynesian. For our upcoming March trip, I didn't make our reservations until mid-January (about 6 weeks out) and got everything I wanted - even Le Cellier, notoriously the hardest reservation to get that you can "never" book less than 180 days out. Obviously experiences vary, but your trip won't be ruined if you miss the 180 day mark - actually, the night we couldn't find a restaurant that would take us and we went resort hopping was the best meal we had the whole trip! I'm not saying don't make any reservations, but don't stress out too much - this is supposed to be fun. :)

Thank you so much everyone - we are going the last week of September so our 180 day is at the end of March. Thanks so much...

Any remarks about - TRex my son will turn 5 the week before we go and we plan on doing his birthday dinner there. He loves dinosaurs and it's going to be a big surprise and we'll let him build a dinosaur. I heard it's pricey and the food's ok but as long as the wow factor is there i'd like to go (i know it's not on the dining plan so do i need to make reservations 180 days before also?)

Thanks everyone!

Yes you will definitely need to make a ressie at T Rex that place is very popular. Many people reported last fall of not being able to get in, with 180 days out or even walk in.

Hope you enjoy, and remember have the ressies in place that way if you want to change and can you are set, but it wouldn't be cool to not have anywhere to go or eat very very late at "whatever" restaurant has an opening.

I suppose it does depend on the time of year you are traveling. I changed my travel dates from mid-June to late May when the 500 dollar gift card special was released. I didnt even occur to me that I need to change my ressos. I was able to get everything I wanted including LeCellier(albeit an 825pm resso). I was able to book the follow about 2 weeks ago for May 23 arrival: Chef Mickeys breakfast, OHana breakfast, Coral Reef dinner, TRex dinner, Artist Point dinner, Whispering Canyon Cafe dinner, and the LeCellier that I mentioned earlier among others. You shouldnt have many problems. Good Luck!!!

if i make reservations that far in advance is it easy to cancel that day and go somewhere else?
If the reservation didn't require a credit card deposit or advance payment in full, yes, it's easy to cancel that day. However, it's considerate to cancel a reservation as early as possible if you're not going to use it.

Extreme example: restaurant has one table (not so extreme, really - let's use Victoria & Albert's Chef's Table). You call 180 days in advance and make your reservation. I call five minutes later and - since there's only one table and one seating per night - surprise! I can't get my reservation. I call periodically throughout the six months, hoping the existing reservee cancelled. No luck. Finally, with only a few weeks to go, I give up and make other, less upscale plans.

You decide around, oh, I don't know - 4 PM the day of the reservation that oops, you're not going to use it. Not only have I been deprived of the opportunity to dine there, very likely at that late time, nobody else will expect the reservation to be available - so NO Guest gets to dine at the V & A Chef's Table that night. Not only that, Disney misses out on expected revenue.

We do not travel during peak times and have never made our reservations that far in advance. I booked a Fantastimic dining package yesterday for less than 90 days out.

Any remarks about - TRex my son will turn 5 the week before we go and we plan on doing his birthday dinner there. He loves dinosaurs and it's going to be a big surprise and we'll let him build a dinosaur. I heard it's pricey and the food's ok but as long as the wow factor is there i'd like to go (i know it's not on the dining plan so do i need to make reservations 180 days before also?)

You can call T-Rex directly (sorry, don't have the number) and make your reservation. Many people have problems making them through Disney because the T-Rex only gives Disney a certain number of reservations to use. Hope that made sense!

The food was good and my 5 & 6 year old nephews loved the restaurant. Don't sit in the ice room - it's cold!

Regarding T-Rex: I would call the resturant directly to set up the adr. It seems they don't give Disney Dining all the seating and keep alot for themselves. I speak from experience.

we just booked our trip a few days ago and then lost power for days during a blizzard. we are going in april and I was bummed, hearing the same about ADR's as you. WEll, I just got off the phone and so far booked CRT for dinner on the night I wanted!!!! and at perfect toddler dinner time of 5:25. Also got dinner at coral reef and breakfast at chef mickeys and cape may cafe. I'm stoked!

I go to the Disney website and print out the park hours. They list the magic hours. Then, I sit and figure out where I think I'll want to be on certain days. Then, I make ADRs for each day.

Once in WDW, I've never found it impossible to cancel ADRs and book new ones...provided that you are willing to be flexible with time & place.

On my last trip in July 2008, I had to cancel all of our ADRs and book new ones when we got there. It was not a problem. I was even able to walk into Crystal Palace for dinner one night (table for 4).

However, I would never go with no ADRs planned. That's too much of a gamble for me. I've seen people get very upset because they didn't know to make ADRs before their trip. I like to relax knowing that I at least have something planned.

For peak times of year (Spring Break, Summer, Easter, Christmas, Holidays) you do need to make them asap.

And, Cinderella’s Royal Table is HARD to get into anytime of year from what I can tell.

We usually make our plans based on Extra Magic Hours. Also, you can continue to call Disney if you can get the reservations you want on the first call. Maybe there will be cancellations.

It does help my family enjoy our trip more and see more of what we plan to see if we make a loose plan of which parks to visit and which day while we are there. A little planning in advance helps you get the reservations times you actually want. WDW is so BIG and there is SOOOOO much do and you have to deal with crowds. A reasonable amount of planning and some reservations will make your vacation $ more well spent. Otherwise, you may miss things you really wanted to experience. Also, a plan alleviated arguments over what to do next. :cool2:

Best of Luck…have FUN!!!

Thank you so much everyone - we are going the last week of September so our 180 day is at the end of March. Thanks so much...

Thanks everyone!

Just so you know... there is both a PIN code as well as a bounceback that offered free dining for 8/15-10/2. I also believe there was a deal for those who booked through the UK site where they could get free dining while staying at specific resorts. This will most likely increase the popularity of the table service restaurants during this time period. With the last week of September falling within that time period, I would recommend trying to figure out where you would like to eat and making ADRs.

I booked CRT last week for the end of the month, a Sunday night and evening EMH also. Also got the other few ADRs I wanted with ease. I don't even book my Disney trips 180 days in advance, I get vague ideas of when I want to go and only hammer things out as the dates start closing in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter