1st cruise, I've got questions

Since OP mentioned she was from Amsterdam I figured she might have a passport instead of a plastic ID.

Thank you! I have both, actually. My passport will definitely stay on board, but my ID card is in my phone case, together with my bank cards :)

How easy is it during the day at CC to get on and off the ship? Maybe I can first make a round around the island to take some pictures, bring back my valuables and the go for a swim.

Last edited:
Thank you! I have both, actually. My passport will definitely stay on board, but my ID card is in my phone case, together with my bank cards :)

How easy is it during the day at CC to get on and off the ship? Maybe I can first make a round around the island to take some pictures, bring back my valuables and the go for a swim.
It's pretty easy. There is some distance involved, but ,at least DCL docks at their private island, making it easier to get on and off.

Since OP mentioned she was from Amsterdam I figured she might have a passport instead of a plastic ID.

Absolutely...plastic waterproof pouches are great, they hold cell phones, passports if you need to take one, any paper such as money if you take for postage, tipping cabana hosts, etc. And last time I lived in Holland the driver's licenses were paper, they may have changed by now.

That's a good plan. Since the ship docks at the island, getting on an off is trivial (thank goodness they don't use tenders as some ports do). And it's close, especially considering there is a tram stop right there at the ship and at various places along the beach. Some people stroll between the ship and the beaches, that is not a short walk, but pleasant and very picturesque, as it king of parallels the shore with continuous ocean views as well as your ship.

Thanks everyone, I decided on the Discover Nassau Land & Sea Tour for my Nassau day, now I need to see what to do for my Castaway Cay day. My problem is that I'm a solo traveller and even when it's a private island, I don't feel comfortable with leaving any valuables (phone/camera/wallet) on the beach while I go for a swim, are there lockers?

I carry a good camera almost everywhere I travel so I use a KYSS Bag for CC and other excursions where I might need to leave personal belongings unattended for a while. Nothing is foolproof but it provides a measure of security. Anyone who wants my stuff will need to either carry a bolt cutter, or be willing to drag multiple beach chairs and/or whatever along with them. There are easier targets.

Somehow, with cruising I have a feeling that it’s like a secret society where you have to be ‘in the know’, to know all the secrets. So looking for tips and tricks for first time cruisers!
Cruising is a lot easier than the parks! No secrets, just a smaller fan base.

There are no ATMs on DCL cruise ships. Guest Services will cash one personal check per cruise for a maximum of $200.

Thanks everyone, I decided on the Discover Nassau Land & Sea Tour for my Nassau day, now I need to see what to do for my Castaway Cay day. My problem is that I'm a solo traveller and even when it's a private island, I don't feel comfortable with leaving any valuables (phone/camera/wallet) on the beach while I go for a swim, are there lockers?

Other question, I can't seem to find where in my reservation I can leave remarks about what I'm celebrating. Was that only possible while making the reservation or am I missing something?

You could get a FlexSafe bag to keep your belongings on a beach chair.

Absolutely...plastic waterproof pouches are great, they hold cell phones, passports if you need to take one, any paper such as money if you take for postage, tipping cabana hosts, etc. And last time I lived in Holland the driver's licenses were paper, they may have changed by now.

Yes, they are plastic now too, luckily, those paper thingies tend to ripe...

I looked it up, as I was curious :) the paper driver's license in NL was replaced by a plastic version in 2006. I do not have a driver's license, so that makes things easier. But I will look into the different type of bags you can lock and chain to your beach chair.

Other question! Onboard Account, I'm a bit apprehensive about putting my credit card details in my online account. Who has access to this and what is charged to my CC? Is it only tips & excursions? I don't drink alcohol, but I believe there is also a non-alcoholic drink of the day which is not included? If the tips are charged automatically, they go by the standard amount Disney mentions on the website (about $12 per person per night?).

Onboard Account, I'm a bit apprehensive about putting my credit card details in my online account. Who has access to this and what is charged to my CC?

I'm not sure what the source of your apprehensiveness is about putting your credit card on file. It's no different than putting it on file at a hotel. Only staff (relevant staff) have access to your account and there will always be a record of what was charged. Gratuities (of the $12/day/person variety) will be charged automatically to your account and any excursions you may have booked will be charged. Other than that, the only time something is charged to your account, you will have to first provide your room card and you'll be given a receipt to sign and they'll give you a copy of it so you'll know that you've paid for something. You can go to Guest Services to check on what's been charged to it at any time if you want to verify that everything is correct. If you order something and you're asked for your card, you'll know that there's an additional cost for it but it's generally very clear when something is an additional fee even before that.

I'm not sure what the source of your apprehensiveness is about putting your credit card on file. It's no different than putting it on file at a hotel. Only staff (relevant staff) have access to your account and there will always be a record of what was charged. Gratuities (of the $12/day/person variety) will be charged automatically to your account and any excursions you may have booked will be charged. Other than that, the only time something is charged to your account, you will have to first provide your room card and you'll be given a receipt to sign and they'll give you a copy of it so you'll know that you've paid for something. You can go to Guest Services to check on what's been charged to it at any time if you want to verify that everything is correct. If you order something and you're asked for your card, you'll know that there's an additional cost for it but it's generally very clear when something is an additional fee even before that.

Yeah, I don't like putting it on file, I never charge anything to my room. Same with using a CC to secure a booking, not a fan. Nowadays a lot of credit card fraud happens through hotels with CCs on file.
But there are also always the rotten apples in the staff once in a while. So the less people who have access to it the better. :)

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, I don't like putting it on file, I never charge anything to my room.

I'd personally rather use a credit card than cash since I don't like to have large amounts of cash on me. At least if there's a problem with fraud on my credit card, I can call my CC company and have them cancel the card and reverse the charge. But that's me and there are different options available to you.

You can put a credit on your file in advance of the cruise. I think that you usually you have to purchase that credit using a credit card and if you don't spend it, it will be refunded back to that card so I presume that it would still effectively be on file somewhere although possibly not on the ship. IIRC, you go through the same service as if you want to purchase wine or gifts to be delivered to your stateroom (or someone else's) on embarkation day. I've purchased wine for us and for my father on Princess but I've never purchased an onboard credit through it.

You can bring cash with you and pay the amounts owing every few days before it reaches a point where they will no longer allow you to charge to your account. The only issue with cash being: (a) as stated, carrying large amounts; and (b) access to an ATM which is more problematic on a ship. It may also be possible to pay the amounts owing every few days using a debit card if you have one and if it works with DCL. I've used my debit/bank card in the US and overseas (I'm in Canada) to access cash at an ATM but I've never tried to use it to pay instead of a credit card outside of Canada so I can't say if this would work or not. And you can do the same but pay with Disney gift cards if you have, or can purchase, those.

To specify what you are celebrating log into your account on the dcl website. From there under "my Disney cruise" go to "my reservations". If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you will see a section that says special requests. Click on make requests and you will be able to denote what you are celebrating per their preset options of honeymoon, birthday, anniversary. If you are celebrating something other than that you can call and have them add a note onto your reservation!
I have found it, but it is unclickable. Can it be I can't make any special requests till I get my room assigned?

I have found it, but it is unclickable. Can it be I can't make any special requests till I get my room assigned?

Hmmm, I've never run into that problem before. I guess it could be because you don't have an assignment yet. I would suggest calling DCL to see if you can put it on your account over the phone. If that does not work out, I know that you can visit guest services once on the ship to tell them what you are celebrating! Disney is really great about making sure that your life moments are celebrated well on the ship so its definitely worth letting them know.

Hopefully someone else on here has run into the same problem and can elaborate on a solution!

My problem is that I'm a solo traveller and even when it's a private island, I don't feel comfortable with leaving any valuables (phone/camera/wallet) on the beach while I go for a swim, are there lockers?

I carry a good camera almost everywhere I travel so I use a KYSS Bag for CC and other excursions where I might need to leave personal belongings unattended for a while. Nothing is foolproof but it provides a measure of security. Anyone who wants my stuff will need to either carry a bolt cutter, or be willing to drag multiple beach chairs and/or whatever along with them. There are easier targets.

I second the KYSS bag. Not to expensive, nice bags, gives me security - win/win!

Still not possible to make requests via MyCruise, so I've e-mailed, it was about seating for dinner (I requested for an adult only table). The CM made a note but no guarantees and that I will have to wait

Other questions that have come up as I was looking through navigators:
- Spa raffle
Just to make sure I understand it, you sign up during the open house, but you have to be present in person during the draw?
- On each navigator there was a special offer for the spa for that day
Do I sign up for these at the spa, call them, do these specials go quickly?
- The movies in the movie theater
Maybe silly, but when the navigator says 'movie start at 12pm' does it then start at 12pm or are there commercials and trailers first and the movie start at 12.15?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!