1st day trip report from WDW vet

Got to ride Storybook Canal Boats today. What a cool little ride. Beautiful after dark. Matterhorn at night was great, though I need to go back and find my vertebrae. Thunder was spectacular at night. No contest - DL ride is better than MK. I'll say this: The size issue is significant at DL, but the rides and all of the little touches make Disneyland the superior park. Fantasyland is just amazing. Even the castle is growing on me.

Love the history of Matterhorn but man, that ride is painful. I can only do it once a trip and assumed it was because I was getting old but my 21 year old daughter said the same thing about riding yesterday. The storybook boats and the circus train are both wonderful! So glad you enjoyed-and sorry you have these crazy crowds for your first visit. Who would’ve thought?

Got to ride Storybook Canal Boats today. What a cool little ride. Beautiful after dark. Matterhorn at night was great, though I need to go back and find my vertebrae. Thunder was spectacular at night. No contest - DL ride is better than MK. I'll say this: The size issue is significant at DL, but the rides and all of the little touches make Disneyland the superior park. Fantasyland is just amazing. Even the castle is growing on me.
Aww! Glad you are enjoying the park!!

We have been here for 9 days. Monday and Tuesday afternoons we're the worst I've seen. Granted I haven't been here on Christmas or spring break, but it was awful. I I think the combination of the last 3 days of SoCal select and summer travelers made it awful. The entrance line was halfway across the Promenade I think most of the day. In the afternoon and evening the whole park was indeed like most evenings after the fireworks. I was here for a week in October and thought that was bad, but it was nothing compared to the last 2 days. I really think it will lighten up after today. We had a long time to enjoy the parks but I feel bad for anyone who only had these 3 days and think that's what Disneyland is normally like!

So sorry you came at such a busy time for your first trip. Makes me feel sad because if you come at a less busy time you can really see the difference but sadly those are getting fewer and fewer. DL is my home park and I have been coming since the 70's but you are right the over-crowding is getting ridiculous. This has been a major bone of contention in many of the groups I belong to about passholders etc and how bad it has gotten. We live in Northern CA so we are only able to go once or twice a year for usually no more than 3 or 4 days at a time. It is frustrating when you can only go so seldom and then to have it just packed to the gills with passholders although I get it because obviously they want to be able to go as well but it is rough when it is THAT bad. I have always thought if I lived there and could go more often I would try and only go in the mornings or kind of watch the trends and go on less crowded days. I certainly wouldn't want to go when everyone was there esp tourists because it just adds to it. We have been many times in the last few years where it was miserably packed to where you had to wait in huge lines just for food or bathrooms. Not to mention just trying to walk and feeling crushed. It is truly miserable when it is like that. Your thinking is correct though about going early in the day. Since we are able to go more often we try and go right at rope drop and get in as much as possible. We usually are out of there by 7 or 9 at the very latest. I can't even remember the last time I stayed till closing but it has literally been decades ago. Just know that on the rare occasions that it is not packed like this it can be wonderful. Kind of like how it is early in the mornings. I hope you are able to enjoy it and give it another chance in the future.

We have been here for 9 days. Monday and Tuesday afternoons we're the worst I've seen. Granted I haven't been here on Christmas or spring break, but it was awful. I I think the combination of the last 3 days of SoCal select and summer travelers made it awful. The entrance line was halfway across the Promenade I think most of the day. In the afternoon and evening the whole park was indeed like most evenings after the fireworks. I was here for a week in October and thought that was bad, but it was nothing compared to the last 2 days. I really think it will lighten up after today. We had a long time to enjoy the parks but I feel bad for anyone who only had these 3 days and think that's what Disneyland is normally like!
I’m headed there in 5 days, would love if you would post here again on what the remainder crowd wise has been on your trip? It would be appreciated!!! Many thanks.

... I have always thought if I lived there and could go more often I would try and only go in the mornings or kind of watch the trends and go on less crowded days. I certainly wouldn't want to go when everyone was there esp tourists because it just adds to it...

If APs watch for "less crowded days" to visit, then those days suddenly become more crowded, not less. Many of those passholders don't want to be there specifically when everyone else is there this week. They are there because these are the last few days they can visit the parks before they will be blocked out until later in August. If you knew you wouldn't be able to visit one of your favorite places for a while, you might want to squeeze in a last minute visit, too. This is why we advise people here to try to plan their summer visits during the AP blockouts, not during the weeks right before the blocks or right after the blockouts lift. (Given, this month was weird because Disney lifted some of the dates at the last minute, which messed with many people's plans. But, as we also say a lot around here, even a very busy day at DLR is better than a busy day just about anywhere else!)

Thanks Captainkidd76 for your posts. All of us who call DL home always feel a bit sad when WDW vets have a crazy day like yours!

The AP/SoCAL passes you see discussed above make a huge difference, but that doesn't help you much, I know.

So glad to see you have enjoyed many of the little differences that make DL special, and have had a great time as your stay progressed.

I just have to ask about Space Mountain. It was the only ride at Magic Kingdom that just really tore my heart out - I just didn't like it compared to DL. What did you think?

This morning wasn't too bad. We hit most things we missed yesterday and redid the mountains. I had a feeling this would be the case, but my favorite rides have been the dark rides. Snow White, Pinnochio, Alice, Roger Rabbit, Mr. Toad have all been awesome. Oddly, the only disappointment is Peter Pan. Effects are great, but way too short. Had lunch at Refreshment Corner (eh), going back via monorail since we have Space Mountain fastpass for 6:30. Having dinner at Pizza Planet. Boys liked it yesterday and I must say, I've had far worse pizza.
I find that PP is too short also. :( We are able to ride using DAC for our child with FASD but even then PP is a very long wait. When we come back to the exit there is always a line. Still wait about 10 minutes.

I'm so happy to hear you're enjoying DLR!

I find that PP is too short also. :( We are able to ride using DAC for our child with FASD but even then PP is a very long wait. When we come back to the exit there is always a line. Still wait about 10 minutes.

One of the funniest things I’ve ever heard was a vlogger I like say (in Peter Pan voice) “Here we goooooooo!!!...And we’re back.”

My wife like Space here better. I like it a lot too. It's definitely more comfortable and seems a bit faster. But I still prefer MK version. More drops and a bit wilder.

Just got back from DCA. Hard to be fair since PP isn't open, but from what is there, I'd rank it 6th in Disney US parks. Radiator Springs was incredible. Buries Test Track. Wasn't impressed with Grizzly River. No comparison to Bilge Raft Barges at IOA. Soarin and Mermaid are exactly the same as WDW. GOTG is far inferior to ToT. Liked Golden Zephyr. The rest of the park just seemed like a less themed Hollywood Studios without as fun a restaurants to eat at. Again, if PP was open, I'm sure my opinion would change. Rainforest is officially closed. DTD just stinks. I'm not a fan of Disney Springs but at least it has lots of Disney themed shops, Rainforest and T-Rex.

FTR, here's how I would rank the 6:

1. Disneyland
2. Magic Kingdom (far better organized, but not nearly as many wonderful attractions)
3. Epcot
4. Animal Kingdom
5. Hollywood Studios
6. California Adventure

If APs watch for "less crowded days" to visit, then those days suddenly become more crowded, not less. Many of those passholders don't want to be there specifically when everyone else is there this week. They are there because these are the last few days they can visit the parks before they will be blocked out until later in August. If you knew you wouldn't be able to visit one of your favorite places for a while, you might want to squeeze in a last minute visit, too. This is why we advise people here to try to plan their summer visits during the AP blockouts, not during the weeks right before the blocks or right after the blockouts lift. (Given, this month was weird because Disney lifted some of the dates at the last minute, which messed with many people's plans. But, as we also say a lot around here, even a very busy day at DLR is better than a busy day just about anywhere else!)

True however if I lived close enough that I could go weekly (and I hear a LOT of locals who do just that) I would certainly try to not pick the obvious hugely crowded times like holiday weeks, summer, etc. If I knew I could just pop over within an hour drive I would try and watch the trends, pay attention to the crowd calendars/conventions etc and go at what would normally be not quite as bad. Or pick a day when maybe the weather wasn't as favorable etc. I know there are a LOT of debates about this and I get it. If you live close and can go why not but I guess I just think that if I did live that close it wouldn't be fun to me either to be there when it is so crowded you can't move. Obviously not everyone is going to think to go on the exact same day or even be able to. Some locals may have jobs they can't miss whereas others may work nights or weekends or have days off during the week or whatever. I'm just saying that sometimes it seems that there are the most locals when there are the most tourists as well like weekends or holidays etc. I don't know what the answer is because obviously raising the prices isn't doing much. I can tell you we went from only going once every 5 years to actually having AP's ourselves for a few years in the early 2000's. We still weren't able to come for more than 2 or 3 trips a year but it was economically worth it to do so. We went from our entire family having AP's to just myself to now we are lucky to get to go once a year and sometimes have to go longer than that. And yet the people still pack the place. It is sad to me that for those of us that don't live close and can't amortize/rationalize an AP when we do go it is miserable. I totally get what this person is saying and while I don't blame locals for wanting to go as much as possible I just know that if you are only able to go a few times or even once it is really disappointing to be spending THAT kind of money to have it be so miserable. I agree that I love Disney and usually I could say the same about any day being better but honestly the last few times I have gone when it was miserably crowded weren't that worth it. When it is so bad you fear for your life if god forbid there was a fire or some other emergency and you can't even go to the bathroom because the lines are so long then it becomes not so fun. I know this is an age old argument and I honestly don't know if there will ever BE a solution but I def feel the orig posts pain.

My wife like Space here better. I like it a lot too. It's definitely more comfortable and seems a bit faster. But I still prefer MK version. More drops and a bit wilder.

Just got back from DCA. Hard to be fair since PP isn't open, but from what is there, I'd rank it 6th in Disney US parks. Radiator Springs was incredible. Buries Test Track. Wasn't impressed with Grizzly River. No comparison to Bilge Raft Barges at IOA. Soarin and Mermaid are exactly the same as WDW. GOTG is far inferior to ToT. Liked Golden Zephyr. The rest of the park just seemed like a less themed Hollywood Studios without as fun a restaurants to eat at. Again, if PP was open, I'm sure my opinion would change. Rainforest is officially closed. DTD just stinks. I'm not a fan of Disney Springs but at least it has lots of Disney themed shops, Rainforest and T-Rex.

1. Disneyland
2. Magic Kingdom (far better organized, but not nearly as many wonderful attractions)
3. Epcot
4. Animal Kingdom
5. Hollywood Studios
6. California Adventure
I have a love/hate relationship with DCA. Although it is very fun, I at times don’t feel like I’m at Disney. It’s like Hollywood studios with some Disney thrown in. I’m hoping the Pixar Pier will change that (i love Pixar stuff). When my aunt first saw it, she immediately didn’t like it and found it boring and will only go for 2 or 3 rides now.

1. Disneyland
3. Epcot
4. Animal Kingdom
5. Hollywood Studios
6. California Adventure
Interesting ranking. Granted, I was last at WDW in 2014, but I know a LOT has changed (and not for the better, yet) at DHS. I DEFINITELY rank DCA above DHS. At least, as DHS is right now. I know work is going on to change that, and I hope it works. But I don't see how you can possibly rate DHS as a PARK better than DCA as one. Carsland alone KILLS anything DHS brings to the table. Is it just based on your preference for ToT versus GotG?

Interesting ranking. Granted, I was last at WDW in 2014, but I know a LOT has changed (and not for the better, yet) at DHS. I DEFINITELY rank DCA above DHS. At least, as DHS is right now. I know work is going on to change that, and I hope it works. But I don't see how you can possibly rate DHS as a PARK better than DCA as one. Carsland alone KILLS anything DHS brings to the table. Is it just based on your preference for ToT versus GotG?

Radiator Springs Racers is one of the greatest attractions I've ever experienced. But outside of that, I was disappointed. They're both very similar. I have a soft spot for DHS because of the restaurants, ToT, RnRCoaster. DCA is filled with standard amusement park kiddie rides. Plus, I'm a bit jaded on it because we're just missing Pixar Pier.

Wow. I am a big TOT fan but we rode GOTG yesterday for the first time and I haven’t had that much time on a ride since Ratatouille. I rode it three times and the kids 4-we couldn’t stop laughing. I have really grown to love DCA-obviously the theming in Carsland is amazing, but the Grizzly peak area is also beautifully themed, as is Bugsland :( And Monsters Inc and the Stage Shows are great!

Wow. I am a big TOT fan but we rode GOTG yesterday for the first time and I haven’t had that much time on a ride since Ratatouille. I rode it three times and the kids 4-we couldn’t stop laughing. I have really grown to love DCA-obviously the theming in Carsland is amazing, but the Grizzly peak area is also beautifully themed, as is Bugsland :( And Monsters Inc and the Stage Shows are great!

I was really disappointed in Monsters Inc. GOTG is a fun ride, but the story is just so weak. That's what I loved about ToT - The storytelling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!