1st Solo trip, I feel strange. How is it?

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
I have been going to WDW since 1995. 1st trip I went when I was single with my BF. We had a blast! Then I met the man who would become my husband. We dated a year and I found out he had never been to WDW, so we went as a couple. Then, we got married and had 3 kids, from then on it has been family of 5 with DVC since 2002.

My kids are all adults and I am separated from my husband, though we get along fantastic. He took the week I have booked off as a vacation, but now doesn't want to commit to going since he may get laid off during this pandemic. If he does not go, I will go alone. My 3 kids have jobs or school, plus I told them when my youngest turned 18, if they wanted to go to WDW, they could go anytime using our DVC points, but I was not paying out of pocket for any part of their trip. Passes, food and transportation is now up to them, So it may be a long while before they see the likes of WDW again.

How does it feel to go alone? I am excited to be able to do what I want, when I want without consulting with someone else, and I have a theme park view at Bay Lake Tower, so just sitting on my balcony watching the fireworks every night has me excited. It is just when I think about getting fast passes for 1, it feels very strange.

I go by myself a lot, it's great to just do you. Make sure to do things you might've not done when going with others, maybe look at gift shops, do your favorite attraction a couple of times, easy your favorite foods, hang at the resort, maybe bring a book or your music and headphones. The possibilities are endless.

I went after a bad breakup once. I have to admit I had fun the first few days but got lonely after that. That was my last solo and that was in the mid 90's. I suppose now that I am in a position that money from vacation is easily budgeted I would go alone just to do things without it being in a committee. I have always gone with people who had great fun regardless of how I monopolized the planning. I'd say go ahead and do it. Everyone should do it once alone at least.

I went to disney solo as part of a conference.
The worst part of the trip was during the conference, I kept thinking I want to be in the parks, even though the conference ended each day at noon.
I enjoyed doing whatever I wanted to do in the parks.
Was treated wonderfully at every restaurant I went to. being there single, was never awkward.

Love traveling solo. I can spend as much time as I want finding the perfect shot or waiting as long as I want for a good parade/show viewing spot. Not that my family wouldn't let me do these things, but I would feel guilty. You can get into any restaurant with a bar usually. The plane ride is great, because you can just pull your hoodie over your head, bring a pillow, put in your headphones or earplugs, and just sleep. You can just go and go until you drop without feeling guilty. You can just sit on a bench and walk people go by.

Going solo is great.
You can change plans on the fly without consulting with anyone.
You can use the single rider lines where offered.
Since you are experienced with WDW, you will be able to provide assistance to those you see that are struggling or would benefit from your tips.
Be sure to take lots of pictures to remember your special trip.
It will help you share highlights of your trip with others.

I have never been solo, but I think it's an amazing idea. I think as a previous posters said, after a few days it may be a little lonely. However, making a list of everything you have always wanted to do and maybe never gotten to is a great idea. Think of all of the times you really wanted to do x but the kids/ husband wanted to do y, so you did x. This is YOUR time! I'm sure your children and even future grandchildren will go with you in the upcoming years, so enjoy this solo trip. You are going to have an amazing time♥️

I'll be going back again solo as soon as it's possible!! I need a break, lol. I have a trip report and a half in my signature (the "half" is the one from last June that I can't bring myself to go back to writing for some reason) of two solo visits if you're interested in reading along. Last minute and same day fast passes and ADRs are easy to get by yourself - plus the freedom of doing whatever you want is great!!

Have fun no matter which trip scenario plays out!!

Reactions: HCL
If you are already excited about just sitting in you balcony watching the fireworks then I think you will love a solo trip. I considered solo trips for years but was always too chicken to pull the trigger. Then I did a semi solo trip where I traveled at the same time as some friends but stayed solo at a different resort and met up with them maybe 40% of the time. I ended up loving all of that trip even the solo parts and have done two solo trips since.

If you are someone who finds a lot of delight in a lot of the smaller parts of WDW - just sitting on a bench having a snack and enjoying the atmosphere, I think you will enjoy yourself. There is something really magical about just asking yourself “What do I want to do now?” and then doing it without wondering if it is the best or most efficient plan. I would eat ice cream for lunch, have a drink before noon, take a nap by the pool. Disney vacations have a tendency to not feel relaxing but I think solo trips really can be. I hope you have fun!

I love solo trips, my honey doesn't like to travel and isn't a WDW fan so he has only been with me once (and will never go again if I have anything to say about it). My now adult son and I have been going together since he was just shy of 3. We still try to take a once a year trip together but I also love to go solo. Caveat, I travel to other places solo as well so I'm very used to it and love my alone time. At WDW, I love being able to just do what I want, even with my son we have to decide if one of us wants to ride something or where and when to eat, although we do that all on the fly. When solo I watch shows, which he hates. I can ride things like BTM as often as I want, he can only ride it once because he has nerve damage in his spine. I can get up early and drink my coffee on the balcony without worrying about waking him up or go out for an early morning walk without waking him. I can eat ice cream 3 meals a day if I want, or just snack all day.

I did a solo trip a few years after my divorce ( about 19 years ago ) and loved every second of it and have done a few since then. I love the freedom to do what I want, when I want. Want to plan a ton of stuff - excellent, no one to complain that it's too much. Want to not plan anything and wing it - awesome, no one to complain it's too loosey goosey. I never felt uncomfortable walking around at the parks or the resort by myself and I didn't feel uncomfortable dining alone either ( at both quick service locations and table service). Practice basic safety ( be aware of your surroundings, don't over indulge in alcohol ) and you'll be fine.

Thanks for all the feedback. I am sure I am going to love the alone time. Is it strange riding the thrill rides alone?

Thanks for all the feedback. I am sure I am going to love the alone time. Is it strange riding the thrill rides alone?
Not really. I honestly thought I would feel more awkward than I did being by myself. I tend to be self conscious about things and worried about people thinking it was weird I was alone but once I was there it really didn’t feel all that strange at all. I am also a pretty big introvert (though not as much as I once was) but I still managed to meet and chat with some lovely people on some rides or on different modes of transportation. I used the time in lines to read on my Kindle app and eavesdrop on the families around me. 😂

My favorite moment on any of my solo trips was on Flight of Passage when the ride started and you see that first view of Pandora and the 8 year old boy next to me looked at me and said “This is amazing! Isn’t this amazing?”

The only part of traveling solo that was weird for me was character meals, I love Garden Grill so I wanted to eat there, so I did! The first time they come around is great but if they get to you a 2nd time is where it gets odd! I mean, an adult women traveling alone only wants to get up and take pics so many times with characters, once is great but the 2nd time I have to admit, I was like, oh crap, they back already! So we just kinda waved and they shuffled off on their way! But if that kind of thing won’t bother you, then it’s not a big deal. Not that it was really a BIG deal, but you ask..so I was just sharing! everything else is great!

OK, I'll be honest. I LOVE solo trips. I'm happily married, but when I go solo, I don't have to worry about what anyone else wants to do. And I don't get strange looks when I say that I want to go on Triceratops Spin or Dumbo.

I have been going to WDW since 1995. 1st trip I went when I was single with my BF. We had a blast! Then I met the man who would become my husband. We dated a year and I found out he had never been to WDW, so we went as a couple. Then, we got married and had 3 kids, from then on it has been family of 5 with DVC since 2002.

My kids are all adults and I am separated from my husband, though we get along fantastic. He took the week I have booked off as a vacation, but now doesn't want to commit to going since he may get laid off during this pandemic. If he does not go, I will go alone. My 3 kids have jobs or school, plus I told them when my youngest turned 18, if they wanted to go to WDW, they could go anytime using our DVC points, but I was not paying out of pocket for any part of their trip. Passes, food and transportation is now up to them, So it may be a long while before they see the likes of WDW again.

How does it feel to go alone? I am excited to be able to do what I want, when I want without consulting with someone else, and I have a theme park view at Bay Lake Tower, so just sitting on my balcony watching the fireworks every night has me excited. It is just when I think about getting fast passes for 1, it feels very strange.

Solo trips are the best. Embrace it.

My experience is, it feels really weird until you get there. Under normal circumstances, I get down to WDW once a month or so and usually have one day to spend there alone before my friend shows up. So I don't have the experience of getting lonely after a few days. I'm not sure if I would... maybe.

The only part of traveling solo that was weird for me was character meals... I mean, an adult women traveling alone only wants to get up and take pics so many times with characters...
Now imagine being a 40 year old man at Akershus. To be honest, character interaction is one of my favorite parts of going to WDW and Princess meets are some of the most fun. Even so I'm ... aware there is a certain creeper faction that exists. Normally when visiting with a princess or a pixie or what-have-you I have a couple of kids or my wife or my lady-friend as a buffer to create some personal space.

Then I figured, what the heck, I like Akershus, I'll just go eat at Akershus. It was a little weird. The characters were super cool and I ended up playing a round of tic-tac-toe with each on a napkin they autographed (won 2 lost 2).

Solo trips are great. You can relax and enjoy the landscaping and scenery and notice things you've never noticed before. Flower festival would be my first choice to enjoy viewing the topiaries at epcot and the food kiosks. I also did a non park trip once and enjoyed the boatrides from Disney springs to port Orleans and bike riding there . I also visited the spa at SSR for a massage. In the evening watch the sunset from the outside bar at rainforest cafe or the boathouse . Enjoy the Jacuzzi at your hotel and see the fireworks from the beach in between poly and GF. Rent the little speed boats or take a horse and carriage ride. Go for walks or runs in the morning . enjoy your hotel pool. see the animals at Animal kingdom lodge. You will never be bored. Your options are endless . At night see yee ha bob at port Orleans or go to the Edison to see the dancers or band. you will have a great time. I hope they are open for your trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!