1st Solo trip, I feel strange. How is it?

Now imagine being a 40 year old man at Akershus. To be honest, character interaction is one of my favorite parts of going to WDW and Princess meets are some of the most fun. Even so I'm ... aware there is a certain creeper faction that exists. Normally when visiting with a princess or a pixie or what-have-you I have a couple of kids or my wife or my lady-friend as a buffer to create some personal space.

Yes, I do feel bad for the honest people, like you, who genuinely want to visit with princesses, not an excuse to grope. Yet, when DS was a CM at DL, the stories he heard backstage from the princesses about men with not-so-great intent. That's why, when DH went to Epcot by himself and was hoping for character interaction, I cautioned him about possibly reticent princesses. But I guess they (the princesses) figure out pretty quickly who's there "for the right reasons" (as the Bachelor would say).

Yes, I do feel bad for the honest people, like you, who genuinely want to visit with princesses, not an excuse to grope. Yet, when DS was a CM at DL, the stories he heard backstage from the princesses about men with not-so-great intent. ...But I guess they (the princesses) figure out pretty quickly who's there "for the right reasons" (as the Bachelor would say).
On that occasion I really just wanted breakfast. I love Akershus for character interaction but always assumed conversation all by my lonely would end up feeling forced.

On one of my family's first trips the guy ahead of us to see Jasmine was being super creepy. Solo guy about 30 (in case we need a stereotype) started off nice enough, I guess. Then he started professing his love, going down on one knee to propose, putting his arm around her shoulder and holding her there for the photo. Re rebuffs him politely but then he starts, playfully of course, suggesting that he's not leaving until he gets a kiss on the cheek.

Real early on I got second-hand defensive, which I try not to be that guy who has to white-knight into it every time someone's being rude to a lady. But at the same time I didn't really want to just sit there and have my kiddos get the idea that doing nothing is normal. So I "ahem"ed at the closest CM gestured at the guy with a "that cool" look and he actually stepped over and said real quiet that there's a line. My first thought was, of course there is, I've been in it for 30 minutes. then it was like, Ohhhhh.

As soon as he started insisting on a kiss before he would leave they hustled him on and there was security to explain things to him.

I've told that story to a few CMs who 'hang out' with the princesses, and I'm assured that this experience is extremely mild compared to what can happen. I was impressed with how deliberate the CMs were, like this was all old hat to them.

My first trip back to Disney with the kids I cried following the divorce. My first solo trip, I was preoccupied with getting to the airport, flight, ME, resort check-in, Fastpasses, and doing things I always wanted to do. I've been a member since 2002 just like you, married with three children and had many wonderful Disney trips each year. But there was always something we said we would do or see when the kids got bigger and it was just the two of us. It's just me, and Disney is absolutely the best place to be. Think of all the things You want to do. And go enjoy.

I think how solo travel is depends on how well you keep company with yourself. I can happily keep myself occupied and value my alone time, so basically as soon as I realized it was possible/gave myself permission to do things like go to the movies, go out to eat, go on vacation, etc., alone, I never looked back. Love my time with my friends and family. Also love my time alone.

I think the biggest benefit is the freedom and lack of guilt. You can spend as much or as little time on things as you want, and you don't have to worry about anyone's enjoyment other than your own (I mean, beyond basic courtesy to not be a nuisance to other guests, but that's a given). I had it in my plans half a year ahead that I would watch the parade at MK on a particular day...but day-of I realized I was too tired and grumpy and didn't want to stake out a spot, so I ditched the plan and had a couple drinks at Trader Sam's instead. No discussions, negotiations, or apologies needed.

The only part of traveling solo that was weird for me was character meals, I love Garden Grill so I wanted to eat there, so I did! The first time they come around is great but if they get to you a 2nd time is where it gets odd! I mean, an adult women traveling alone only wants to get up and take pics so many times with characters, once is great but the 2nd time I have to admit, I was like, oh crap, they back already! So we just kinda waved and they shuffled off on their way! But if that kind of thing won’t bother you, then it’s not a big deal. Not that it was really a BIG deal, but you ask..so I was just sharing! everything else is great!
I'm firmly in the "participate in whatever experiences you want as a solo at WDW" camp and fully agree with all the folks saying to go for it re: character meets and character meals...but I have yet to work myself up to actually doing a character meal solo. It just hits too many of my social anxiety buttons, even though I know I would probably enjoy it once I got there. On the last trip this January I did a couple things to step out of my bubble and work on my social confidence (did my first solo character meet and greet since 2009, ate at a ton of table service restaurants, struck up conversations with strangers all over the place) and did have positive results from all that, but was not confident enough to try to snag a last minute ADR for Tusker House or anything. Planning to do at least one character meal with my housemate on our upcoming trip, which seems like a good way to find out whether it's something I even enjoy with a little bit of a friend-buffer to smooth the way.

I think how solo travel is depends on how well you keep company with yourself. I can happily keep myself occupied and value my alone time, so basically as soon as I realized it was possible/gave myself permission to do things like go to the movies, go out to eat, go on vacation, etc., alone, I never looked back. Love my time with my friends and family. Also love my time alone.

I think this is an important point. I live alone and as an only child I have always been happy to entertain myself. I loved having roommates in college and on the college program and as a young adult but I have never disliked being by myself so a solo trip is not that much of a stretch for me. My mom is someone who HATES being alone and she just would not enjoy a trip by herself. Any time I take a solo trip she is confused by it. You have to honestly assess your own comfort level with being alone to know if you’ll enjoy traveling alone.

I dream of getting a solo trip at some point...closest I came was for an hour last year when my DH and sister went to ride Splash Mountain (hard pass) and I got to do Peter Pan and Small World which they had no interest in. I was so relaxed! I imagine a few days of doing whatever I wanted, eating wherever I wanted, and not having to wait in that insane AM Starbucks line because my sister needs coffee and can't just feed off the adrenaline and excitement of being in the Magic Kingdom would be an amazing experience. Enjoy it!

OK, I'll be honest. I LOVE solo trips. I'm happily married, but when I go solo, I don't have to worry about what anyone else wants to do. And I don't get strange looks when I say that I want to go on Triceratops Spin or Dumbo.

I am exactly the same way. We have been going for almost 3 decades and my girls grew up going to WDW. But for the last several years, I have been going solo for the food and wine fest. I love it! I do whatever I am feeling at the moment. So if I want to sit in the aviary in the Maharajah jungle trek for a half an hour, I can do that without someone else being bored and wanting to go on a ride. I can eat where and when I want to. It is just great not having to always worry about keeping everyone else happy, like most Moms do.

I think the biggest benefit is the freedom and lack of guilt. You can spend as much or as little time on things as you want, and you don't have to worry about anyone's enjoyment other than your own (I mean, beyond basic courtesy to not be a nuisance to other guests, but that's a given). I had it in my plans half a year ahead that I would watch the parade at MK on a particular day...but day-of I realized I was too tired and grumpy and didn't want to stake out a spot, so I ditched the plan and had a couple drinks at Trader Sam's instead. No discussions, negotiations, or apologies needed.

Like YawningDodo said, it depends on how well you keep company with yourself. I love doing things by myself, to the irritation of my wife sometimes, so I have no problem. That said, I echo so many others in saying that the freedom you have to do stuff is wonderful. I've been down solo about three times now, and I never thought it was weird. Now, I didn't do any of the sit down meals, so I can't speak to that, but I did do counter meals, and didn't have a problem. Depending on the time of day, and how busy it was, sometimes someone would ask to sit with me, usually 2-3 people, depending on size of the table, and, most of the time, wound up having conversation. I love people watching, so that's usually what I was doing while while standing in lines for a rides, or looking at the map to figure out where I wanted to go next. I'm also into photography, so I took some time to try and find different photography opportunities/angles whatever. I also took time to head back to the resort for some pool and relaxation time before heading back in the evening. Slow down and look at the small details of a ride, or land/area. Play the Hidden Mickey game. The opportunities are endless. If I could go back to the World solo I'd do it in a heart beat. Have fun with it.

I went solo for the first time last year over 4th of July. The hardest thing for me was deciding what I wanted to do because I could do whatever I wanted! I ended up primarily choosing things and restaurants I had never done before.

Ride the Main Street vehicles? Check
Eat at Jaleo? Check
Do the Disney Dining Plan? Check
Rope Drop FOP because I couldn’t get a fast pass at the time I wanted? Check
Hang out and wait for Characterpalooza? Check
Hall of Presidents? Check

It became kind of a game. But also good “research” for when I take trips with other people or am giving advice to friends going for the first time.

I texted my family a bunch and started a shared album so they could see my pictures throughout the trip. As a single woman traveling alone, even though it’s Disney and I was “safe”, I had some pretty late nights, so I texted my sister each night when I got back to my hotel room, just so someone knew I was fine. (I’m also a true crime buff, so that may have had something to do with my “precautions” 😂)

I went solo for the first time last year over 4th of July. The hardest thing for me was deciding what I wanted to do because I could do whatever I wanted! I ended up primarily choosing things and restaurants I had never done before.

Ride the Main Street vehicles? Check
Eat at Jaleo? Check
Do the Disney Dining Plan? Check
Rope Drop FOP because I couldn’t get a fast pass at the time I wanted? Check
Hang out and wait for Characterpalooza? Check
Hall of Presidents? Check

It became kind of a game. But also good “research” for when I take trips with other people or am giving advice to friends going for the first time.

I texted my family a bunch and started a shared album so they could see my pictures throughout the trip. As a single woman traveling alone, even though it’s Disney and I was “safe”, I had some pretty late nights, so I texted my sister each night when I got back to my hotel room, just so someone knew I was fine. (I’m also a true crime buff, so that may have had something to do with my “precautions” 😂)

The first time I went solo, and all subsequent times, I had a blast! Like you, I found it hard trying to decide what to do first, or when. So for fun, I would sometimes "argue" with myself, and I had fun doing it. Now, I'm by no means insane, though I'm sure there were a few people who would have questioned me on that when they saw me "arguing" with myself. 😆 *wipes tears from my eyes* That brings back so many good memories. I love having fun, and those solo trips were a blast! I love Disney, and I love themed parks and stuff like that. I would enjoy walking around and looking at the small detail as much as I did riding the rides. See, I think that's a part of the trip most people ignore: Looking at the small details. Enjoying the sights and sounds of Disney. I need to go back.

Thanks for all the feedback. I am sure I am going to love the alone time. Is it strange riding the thrill rides alone?
It's actually pretty awesome riding the thrill rides solo because helloooooo single rider lines! It's awesome strolling onto many of the rides without the hassle of getting an FP or waiting forever in standby. I'm not saying the single rider line is always short, but they frequently are. And if you're going by yourself, you can decide how much you want to reride the rides.

One time I was solo and I decided to get as many ridculous photopass onride photos as I could. I did silly stuff like looking like I was sleeping, reading a book, checking the map, drinking water, etc. It was awesome.

I have a similar story to the OP - my first trip was in 1990, I went regularly with family after that, then I went regularly with friends throughout college until I met my boyfriend/fiance/husband, and then we went together until he became my ex husband. I didn't want to give up my semi-regular trips after that, but I wasn't exactly sure how I felt about going alone either.

In Dec. 2018, I went for a week with 2 separate groups staying at my DVC as my first post-divorce trip. I had a solo day in the middle of the week and I had a blast by myself. Then I had a work conference at Universal in July, and I really wanted to tack on a few extra days for WDW so I thought "why not?" I had a great time again and then I made my first solo long weekend trip a few months later. Now I wouldn't hesitate to go solo anytime.

With that said, I honesty can't say whether I prefer solo to trips with friends/family. They both have pros and cons... so I think the best approach (for me, anyway) is to do both, which gives me a perfect excuse to go more often! I will agree with the others above me who said it is all about how comfortable you are being alone in your own space though. I, too, am an only child, I live alone, and I'm introverted enough to not feel out of place being alone in a large crowd. I know plenty of others that would never do it in a million years and don't understand the point. I enjoy the people watching and the time to recharge though. Definitely give it a try if you get the chance... worst case scenario is at least you'll get to see the parks and you'll know if solo travel is "for you" by the end of the trip. Better to find out for sure at WDW than plenty of other places out there!

I went solo for the first time last September for just 2 days/1 night, and I think the key is trying to turn off the part of your brain that feels like it's weird to say "1" to "how many?" and eat alone. Those were the two big parts for me. I can walk around the parks all day, but dining and doing certain attractions felt odd. But I powered through it and still had a great time. A lot is just recognizing that it's going to be a different kind of trip. Also, a LOT of people visit the parks solo, so you're not alone. It's great to be there, especially given how things are now.

Thanks for all the feedback. I am sure I am going to love the alone time. Is it strange riding the thrill rides alone?

Nah! People will just think your family is full of people who are scared of thrill rides. I go on some rides alone even when with my family! When I went alone people kept asking me if I was a travel agent or Disney blogger. I was like. "ummmmmmmmmm sure, that works!" I actually enjoyed it- no one nagging to use the bathroom, or wait in lines for attractions I don't enjoy, or complaining about the heat. Nothing better than an early morning stroll around EPCOT by myself, stopping to shop in any store I wanted. For dining alone, I usually just sat at the bar. Someone will strike up a conversation.

I went last Sept what would have been my husband’s and my 45th anniversary. The dates matched up exactly so that told me I needed to go as he passed away the prior year. I stayed at Bay Lake Tower in a lake view, it was the view that we had on our honeymoon as we were in that wing. I did everything that I wanted to do, cried at the fireworks and Illuminations, but totally enjoyed my trip. I did get Fastpasses, it felt strange but that’s ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts