1st time at Universal - Harry Potter Question

sadams17

Earning My Ears
This will be my first time at Universal parks. We have a 2 day Parkhopper ticket and I'm trying to figure out which parks Harry Potter area takes more time to adequately tour. Also, any suggestions for a newbie would be appreciated. My 17 year old may or may not be tagging along...

Hagrid is new, doesn't take Express Pass, and has about a 2 hour line (give or take). As a result, that will take a big portion of time and it is in IOA.
Otherwise, Universal has more stuff to explore. Diagon Alley is big and there's the Knight Bus, Grimmauld Place and Knockturn Alley.

Sadams17
Is Potter your main reason for going to UO?

If it is, split the days equally of both parks your first day there
Next day you’ll have a better idea which one you prefer to spend more time in

Look at the park map of UO online and read the descriptions of the rides and shows

Makes it easier to plan your park day in advance

Hi OP: Congrats on experiencing the most amazing ride/immersive areas of any theme park:)
As to which side takes more time to tour, it is individual. However, we always spend a lot of time on the studios side, especially the shops in Diagon Alley, the Gringotts ride (amazing), eating at the restaurant, and wandering Knockturn alley. To us, this side has more that we want to do and see. However, the IOA side is fantastic too with Ollivander's wand shop and FJ.
We spend most of our Universal time in the HP areas. Don't forget to knock on the door at #12 Grimmauld place, and Kreacher will peak out the upstairs window :)

Last edited:

Hi OP: Congrats on experiencing the most amazing ride/immersive areas of any theme park:)
As to which side takes more time to tour, it is individual. However, we always spend a lot of time on the studios side, especially the shops in Diagon Alley, the Gringotts ride (amazing), eating at the restaurant, and wandering Knockturn alley. To us, this side has more that we want to do and see. However, the IOA side is fantastic too with Ollivander's wand shop and FJ.
We spend most of our Universal time in the HP areas. Don't forget to knock on the door at #13 Grimmauld place, and Kreacher will peak out the upstairs window :)
Nothing will happen if you knock on #13 as Kreacher lives at #12. :) Saw so many people taking pics at #13 and they were totally missing Kreacher in the window.
The line for Ollivander's in Diagon Alley is shorter, if it matters.

Nothing will happen if you knock on #13 as Kreacher lives at #12. :) Saw so many people taking pics at #13 and they were totally missing Kreacher in the window.
The line for Ollivander's in Diagon Alley is shorter, if it matters.
OOPS! I stand corrected, LOL. I was trying to remember if it was #13 or #12, so thanks:)

I changed it!

If anything, they make the door and area where Kreacher peeks out a little different than the other doors/windows. Also, I do not believe you have to knock on it, or at least not anymore if that was the case. As last time I was there a week, or so ago, he was peeking through the widow without anyone knocking on it.

One of my favorite things to check out personally is the cabinet in Borgin and Burkes since according to what one of the TMs stated it's a prop. There are a lot of other props within the WWoHP hidden, but usually in a lot of places you cannot get to. All around the Borgin and Burkes shop up top, as well as the main gift shop in Hogsmeade once you leave the wand show. Also, what I like about the cabinet too is that not only hear the bird, but you place your hand on it you can feel "the bird" inside the cabinet.

Be sure to watch The Tales of Beedle the Bard in Diagon Alley at Universal Studios. I believe there are two shows, The Fountain of Fair Fortune and The Tale of the Three Brothers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter