1'st time cruiser with many ?????

Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean' started by thumper*, Jan 9, 2019 at 12:52 AM.

1. thumper*

thumper* Disney Dreamer

Hi my Dis friends. DH and I are considering our first cruise ever late Dec 2019-early Jan 2020.

I have a read a few TR's here on the boards about Disney cruise line but other than that we know hardly anything about cruising.

We like quiteness (fewer kids) since we don't have any. So between that and the cost of a Disney cruise it is off the table for a first time cruise. But hopefully in the future.

I'm thinking a 4 nt RCL with a balcony might be up our alley.
    We tend to like higher quality foods & drink. We prefer relaxing around a pool/beach vs shows, shopping or excursions. Plus Coco cay looks awesome...lot's of adult space. Or we have a friend that winters in Cozumel and we would enjoy a day long visit with him if we did a Western Caribbean cruise.

We definitely won't sail Carnival.

Also what are the best locations for state rooms? Are higher or lower decks preferred?

How would I know if a room has an obstructed view?

I'm all ears for any suggestions on cruise lines, itineraries and web sites for a 1'st timer to visit.

TIA for any info. and why.

EDITED to add that DH refuses to do Carnival because of all the bad press over the last 10 yr's of major sickness on board and stranded ships. I know that was then and this is now but it's how he feels.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019 at 10:16 PM
  2. starvenger

starvenger DIS Veteran

My RCL trip reports are for the larger ships so may not fit the itineraries you’re looking at. Early Jan will be cheaper than December if that matters to you. I’m tentatively scheduled for Navigator in Jan 2020 for that reason.

If you’re not using a TA I recommend getting one. I’ve not used DU but I know they’ve got a good reputation so I’d start there for Royal/DCL cruises.

Don’t sell Carnival short as some of their newer ships look great. Our French Canadian friend mevelandry might be able to make some recommendations there.

If you’ve not been on a cruise the low centre might be preferable. Less movement relative to the rest of the ship. I think most people prefer higher decks if they want a view, so keep that in mind.

I think obstructed views are noted when looking at rooms but I can’t remember, but that’s another point for using a TA - they’ll figure that stuff out for you.

thumper* and mevelandry like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. mevelandry

mevelandry DIS Veteran

Haven't sailed with RCCL yet (currently planning my first RCCL cruise in October 2019) but I'm very curious to know why you don't want to sail with Carnival?

While I'm not the biggest fan of old ships, the brand new Carnival ships are actually very nice (I sailed on the Vista and I've liked it more than DCL ships) and if you book a cabin in the Havana Section, those cabins can't have kids under 12 and there's a pool reserved those staying in Havana (during the day) ... I haven't tried it but I've seen the area and it was great.

And they have the Serenity deck that is adult only as well. The entertainment is very adult oriented.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019 at 7:57 AM
    thumper* and starvenger like this.
  5. Frozen2014

Frozen2014 DIS Veteran

DH and I just did a 4 day cruise on Independence. Great ship! Not too large (such as Oasis) and not too small. It went to Cozumel, but I'm sure there are itineraries that also hit CoCo Cay.
    We also did Mariner 4 night with our kids that went to Nassau and CoCo Cay, which is also great.

It does have family friendly features (waterslides, skypad, lasertag), but there is also a solarium for adults only. There is also a kids-spash area, which we found lessened the crowds a bit at the main pool compared with Mariner (which doesn't have kids area). You mentioned shows aren't as important but as a note it does have Grease and Once Upon a Time, both of which are excellent. Other fun night time stuff such as Love & Marriage Show, Quest, adult Comedy Show, and various venus with music, etc

There are specialty restaurants (although not as many as Oasis or Quantum class). We did Giovanni's, but did also try Chops on another ship and was great too.

For avoiding obstructed rooms, look at the deck plan and make sure to pick one wthout the square (or just have Royal or a TA help you out).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019 at 9:08 AM
  6. Mrsjvb

Mrsjvb DIS Veteran

If better dining is a big one, skip Royal and go with Celebrity. Whatever it is about Carnival you don’t like will be on royal as well.

thumper* likes this.
  7. Frozen2014

Frozen2014 DIS Veteran

PS - You might want to post specific RCL questions on the Royal board

Laz and thumper* like this.
  8. gumbypee

gumbypee DIS Veteran

However food is very subjective - I lost weight on Celebrity cruise bc the food was so awful to me

thumper* and starvenger like this.
  9. starvenger

starvenger DIS Veteran

This is true. I’d categorize cruise (and AI resort) food as usually between Average Office Christmas Party and Deluxe Wedding Banquet. Which is a huge range, but that is the kind of variance you can get when you’re reading reviews.

thumper* likes this.
  10. thumper*

thumper* Disney Dreamer

Thank you @starvenger @mevelandry @Frozen2014 @Mrsjvb @gumbypee for your insights and info.

DH refuses to do Carnival because of all the bad press over the last 10 yr's of major sickness on board and stranded ships. I know that was then and this is now but it's how he feels.

This is the cruise I've been eyeballing but I'm still studying Celebrity cruises and a few others.

gumbypee and Frozen2014 like this.
  11. mevelandry

mevelandry DIS Veteran

That's too bad because IMO Carnival suffers unfairly from bad press.

Novovirus/Rotavirus can unfortunately happen on board of any cruise ship and even the best cruise lines have suffered them... but just an FYI, Carnival has been pretty good (even better than many luxury lines) at avoiding it based on the CDC reports:

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

Here are the inspection scores:

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionResults.aspx

As for "stranded ships" (loss of power due to fire), it happened twice (2010 & 2013). Engine fire... This is unfortunate but what can you do.

EDIT: I'm not trying to change your mind or anything. Just explaining why I think Carnival is unfairly treated by the media... and some cruisers.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 5:02 PM
  12. mevelandry

mevelandry DIS Veteran

Ironically, as we are talking, there is a norovirus outbreak on the Oasis of the Seas. They had to cancel the stop in Cozumel and people will have their cruise 100% refunded.

13. Mrsjvb

Mrsjvb DIS Veteran

umm.. a Royal ship just had to curtail its latest cruise due to too large a percentage of the pax contracting Norovirus. it will Be on EVERY ship on EVERY line. and there will be an outbreak on every cruise. just hope big an outbreak is anybody's guess. take the proper precautions and you won't fall victim. as for stranding/mechanical difficulties; again, everybody has those as well. I don't like Carnival either, but for others reasons.