• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1st time holiday booked

kirstenjet

Mouseketeer
Hi,
I'm going on my first ever Florida holiday (first ever 'real' holiday in fact!) with a mate from 14th Nov - 4th Dec and I'm looking for information,suggestions, advice, anything really that might help!
I know it seems strange but I doubt we will got to Disneyland this time (planning the second time and I've not even been yet!). We went to do the Universal Parks etc
I've read a lot of the messages already so I hope I'm not asking things I should have been able to find..
Can anyone recommend one of the airboat trips to see alligators?
Has anyone done a dolphin swim anywhere apart from Discovery Cove?
We're on a bit of a tight budget, how much do you think we'd need for food? I tried working it out and it seemed to be coming to about £1000 for the two us, but that sounds too much to me, we don't need anything to fancy!
Also we'll be there over Thanksgiving, do you need to book a reservation months in advance
like you would for Xmas here? Also has anyone been there during that time?

I think that's probably too much to ask in one go, sorry!
Thanks for any help,
Zoe

Hi Zoe,
Boggy Creek Airboat rides are one of the companies that offer these trips and I've heard good reports about them. That is a cooler time of year though and they may not be that active at that time of year.

If you're looking for a cheaper dolphin swim, you're going to struggle, in general the price ANYWHERE is going to be $100 a head. There is nothing else in Orlando ( except Epcot which is a similar cost but only a couple of hours activity, and I think you have to pay to get into the park as well :O ) so you would have the expence of travelling to the coast. Petrol alone will be $50-60 for the two of you ( plus car hire) and DC includes lunch. IMHO you won't save money unless you are already travelling to another venue.

With food, unless you want to dine exclusively on burgers, fries and pizza your estimate is probably a little low. Outside the parks you can eat from a couple of $ and up. Inside the parks you need to think in the range of $6-10 a head. Drinks really bump up the total as it's $2.50 a soft drink and you'll get through probably 5-6 a day ( thats £20 a day on soft drinks between you, times 20 days.........). I would allow $100 a day for food and drink for the pair of you.IMHO it's better to allow too much and have something left over for shopping, a splurge or ( horror of all horrors) to bring back with you LOL. You can cut down on the cost of drinks by buying water, squash , salt replacement mixture and taking bottles into the parks with you but this is never going to be enough that you don't but some drinks in the parks.

Usually Thanksgiving is busy, but there are usually hotel rooms available a reasonable amount of time in advance. Where do you plan to be staying? You'll have more chance on I-Drive ( which is where I guess you're looking) than trying to stay on Disney property.

I would suggest doing some time at Disney, even if only 2 or 3 parks. It is something special. But I would say the Orlando flex ticket looks your best bet for the bulk of your "entertainment" needs. If you're on a tight budget you can save some money by staying on IDrive and not hiring a car (using the IDrive trolley bus service or walking to restaurants in the evening). Alcohol is expensive in the US, particularly wine, so make use of your duty free allowance if you like a drink and take a couple of bottles of spirits with you.

Hi Vernon,
Thanks for all the info!
Soft drink hadn't really occured to me to add in to the price, so that's something to add on.
I see what you mean about the Dolphin swim. It's just nobody ever mentions the others and wondered what they're like.

What I was trying to ask (but I put it very badly, infact I didn't mention it at all!) was about eating out on Thanksgiving day, do we need to book our reservation to eat somewhere? I'd like to go out and have a traditional meal:)

We booked with Virgin holiday so all the hotel (Villager Premier) and car is already sorted out (well, sort of in the cars case as I'm going to try to cancel it).

Alcohol I had thought of and given it's own budget:D

Thanks again,
Zoe

Hi Zoe and welcome! :wave:

I'm with Vernon on a vote for Boggy Creek Airboat ride, we went in March and saw quite a lot of wildlife, including gators!! If you go on their web site you can print off money off vouchers too!

http://www.bcairboats.com/

Universal Studio and IOA are excellent, but, as you're going for a reasonable length of time I'd really recommend a visit or two to one or more the Disney Parks, there's always an excuse to go back a second time (and a third, fourth etc etc!).

Eating out at the buffet type places are probably your best bet for keeping down the costs of eating out. Sizzler, Ponderosa, Golden Corral all have reasonable names and you can stuff yourself silly for not too many Dollars!!

Definately take a trip to Walmart or one of the other supermarkets and stock up with their soft drinks and take those drinks to the parks.

HTH!

Astrid

Hi Zoe,
I'm flying to Florida on 14th of Nov returning 5th Dec, with Virgin from Gatwick. It will be my fifth visit. You will love it, I do thats why I go back so much.

Hi Astrid,
Thanks for the advice, I'll make at note of the restaurant names.
I figured I could buy some food at the supermarkets as well as I've got a microwave and fridge to save some money.
If I don't see a wild alligator, I'm going to be really disappointed!
I do want to do Disney but we really can't fit everything in and I'd hate to have to rush it.

Floridamum, that's such a coincidence! We had to come back the day before because of work and holiday dates. I wonder if we'll be on the same plane ? I'm on the 11.15 one (if I remember correctly, the first one anyway). What are you planning to do when there?

Ta,
Zoe

Hi Zoe :wave:

My DD did the Epcot dolphin encounter last year and has raved about it ever since. You <b>don't</b> need park entry to partcipate, but I think the cost is something like $150, so even without park entry, it's still not very cheap!

There is no swimming involved, although you are in the water with the dolphins for some of the time. The programme lasts about three hours and includes a lot of information about dolphin physiology and the way the Epcot dolphins are studied to try to understand their means of communication, etc., as well as about half an hour in waist deep water with the dolphins. During the time in the water each participant has some solo time with the dolphin when they can get them to obey commands, and the trainers show how the dolphins react to signals.

The cost includes all equipment (wet suit, towels etc.) as well as light refreshments, a tee shirt, a video of your dolphin interaction and some information leaflets if you want to follow up the 'educational' side of the tour.

Hi Zoe,

I'm on the 11.15 flight as well, but you probably won't see me as we are flying Premium Economy. I am going with my family, 6 in all, all adults.We stay in a villa on the 192.

Thumbs up for Boggy Creek from me too !

We visited last September and had an excellent time - although we did not get to see any gators as it was far too hot !

A great way to spend a few hours away from the hustle + bustle of the the theme parks :D

You'll have a wonderful time, and will want to go again one day.

Boggy Creek was great - we went in December and although the temperature was mid 70's, the guide said it was a bit too cold for the gators to show - still we saw snakes and a bald eagle and the ride was brilliant - I think the tickets were about $18 for adults.

Eating can be very cheap if you find the right places - and you can get ENORMOUS breakfast buffets (eat as much as can) at Ponderosa and Sizzler
Cost about $3 plus drinks - amazing.

Universal Studios is FAB - and Islands of Adventure - AWESOME - the best theme park I've been to (that is, if you like big rides - not so good for kiddies)

We bought the 4 Park Flex Ticket which allows you to go to Universal, IofA, SeaWorld (to feed the Dolphins, brilliant) and Wet'n'Wild (brilliant water park at the top of I-Drive)

cheers,

Mapman

With the VERY cheap breakfasts do be aware they rty to recoup some of their generosity by racking up the price for juice and coffee. A $3 breakfast can quickly turn into $15 with a couple of OJs and a coffee. Iced water should be available at no charge.

Worth noting that the Golden Corral offers free juice on their brekkie buffet!!

One point on the Boggy Creek Airboats (yes its FAB dont miss it) BUT how on earth would you get there without a car?? Its miles away from Disney?? I have only done the one in Kissimee, I gather there is another nearer the airport.....is that easier to get to?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter