1st time training for a marathon?

NeverlandClub23

AKV & OKW DVC Member
I'm thinking of attempting my first half marathon (13 miles) in March 09. :scared1: Are there any good books or websites for tips? Or any advice? My DBF hates running so I'll be doing it solo. Almost everyone I know looks at me like I'm crazy when I mention it :) I definitely don't mind doing it alone, I'm just afraid I'm going to look like a fool not knowing what I'm doing.

Also, the half marathon is corralled. How do I know what my time is? Just timing a mile and mulitplying it (assuming I maintained that speed)?

Also, is it possible to train on just treadmills or is outdoor running a necessity?

Thanks so much for any help, advice, or encouragement! :cheer2:

Just do it! I did my first one in Sept. and I'm sure I'll do another one!

I'm definitely not an expert, but....I used Hal Hidgon's site for training. The most I did was 10 miles for training. I felt great during the 1/2, but my IT band bothered me on inclines so I walked some. I was hoping for under 2 hours, but hit 2 hr and 5 min.

I'm not sure about outside/treadmill. I did outside to train just because I get bored on the treadmill. I can maybe do 60 min, but beyond that, I need to mix up the scenery a little. I guess it depends where you live though - and what the weather will be like for the race.

I'm sure you'll get more advice on here from people more experienced than me.

I know you can do this! You have plenty of time.

We have a lot of folks on the events side of WISH that have all kinds of info for you and you may even find someone who is doing your event there. No matter, you will definitely not be training alone if you want to post on the weekly thread or another one there. All are quite welcoming and absolutely loving of new folks whom we can help to enjoy what we have all come to enjoy. You don't even have to think you must run the entire event, be fast, be slow or have any conditions placed upon you. Most all ability levels are represented by our WISH Team.

I would definitely recommend you go to the library or even purchase outright the book Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham. Many of us on the events side have used this book and I can attest to this method as one that will work over and over for many events and one that is great for beginning participants.

There is a web site that Hal Higdon has available too. I find that program a bit more intense than my ability level.

The "sticky" thread at the top of WISH events has information that you can read at your leisure that may prove helpful to you. It has a pace calculator to help you judge your time, but you will have to time some sort of run, either on a track or with a watch. If you don't have to send in proof of time an estimate will do.

Hope to have you join us on the Events/Competition side of WISH. See you there!
:wave:

Do it, do it, do it. You will NEVER be sorry that you did. I did my first HM in January at WDW in 2008 and have now completed 2 more this year!!

I have used Hal Higdon and John Bingham both. You need to do some reading and figure out which plan works best for you. There is a galloway running site and many, many more running plans to choose from. I like the first 2 because they incorporate XT into the plan which is more important than most people think!

Go for it, have fun with it and never, never think you are running alone. With all the people entered in the race, when would you ever be alone? Just strike up conversations, find someone running your pace, friends are everywhere to be found. And, yes, go to the Events side, you may find someone doing the same race as you!!!

Best of luck! :thumbsup2

Thank you all very much!! I will definitely check out all the resources mentioned. I'm so excited as a half marathon (and eventually a full marathon) is something I've wanted to do for years. Thanks again and I will be checking out the Events side of WISH!:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter