1st time using scooter

b0m5jgr

Mouseketeer
Hi, my family will have 1 day at WDW as part of our cruise, my wife needs a scooter which I have found out we can rent at the park , my question is when it comes to any rides how does that work, is there a handicap line, does she have to leave the scooter at a designated area and then wait on line. She can't stand for very long, I'm clueless on how this works besides there will be 2 other adults & 1 child (10 yrs old). Looking for some help. Thanks...

most of the time she can ride the scooter through the line. a few rides will necessitate her switching to a manual chair( provided at the ride) or going through an alternative entrance.

if she is not already comfortable using one, she should practice beforehand at the grocery store or local Costco. they do require a learning curve and the turns in the lines can be tight

There are very few attractions with handicapped lines.
Most of the queues are accessible to both wheelchairs and ECVs (scooters) and guests using them wait in the same line with everyone else.
The attractions that do not have ECV accessible lines have wheelchairs st the attraction that can be borrowed for waiting in line. Let the Cast Member (CM) know that she will need to borrow one.

The CM at the entrance to the attraction will let you know any special directions.
Several shows have you enter thru a different door, but that is mostly so that they can count the number of wheelchairs/ECVs and not let more in than there are spots for. Examples are Tiki Birds and Country Bear Jamboree. Some others have you wait in the regular line until just before going into the theater. Examples are Mickey’s Philharmagic and Laugh Floor.

A few attractions give a return time to come back and enter the accessible entrance. If you have Fastpasses, you can enter right away; without, your wait will be similar to the wait time in the regular (Standby) line. Examples are Small World and Jungle Cruise.

With three adults you may want to consider doing a wheelchair. You have plenty of pushers. If it was more than one day then I would say go either way. Also, your wife can use the wheelchair as a walker, too. It's cheaper to rent a wheelchair and easier to get. There will be no learning curve using a wheelchair.

A few rides accommodate the wheelchair like Jungle Cruise, Toy Story Mania, The Living Land boat ride for example.

If you do a scooter at shows you can stay in the scooter. For most rides you go all the way through the ride queue. At the end of the queue there's a parking area fr scooters. If you can drop her off at the ride and let someone else park the scooter then she would be safer. If she has to walk then have someone hold on to her on each side while she walks to the ride. A few rides the cast members take the scooter to the exit because the ride doesn't make a loop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter