2 Contracts - Pool Points?

StitchesGr8Fan

DIS Veteran
Hypothetical question. Let’s say we have 2 contracts with the same use year but different home resorts. Can we use all the points as one big bank to book a trip at Home Resort A at 11 months?

We are going to buy soon, but a smaller contract than what we think we will ultimately want once the kids are older.

No- you can not combine the points until 7 months

Good to know. What if both sets of points were the same use year and same resort? Would we need 2 reservations?

I believe if it’s the same resort and same use year you can combine at 11 months. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

If the two deeds are in the same membership account and are for the same resort, then the points can easily be combined to make one reservation.

If the two deeds are in separate membership accounts, then they cannot be combined to make one reservation unless points from one account are first transferred to the other account. If the points are not transferred from one account to the other, then you would need to make two separate reservations -- one from each account -- and then request that Member Services link the two reservations so that you can stay in the same villa for the entire length of your stay.

Thanks all. We are trying to approach this in a smart way. It is so tempting to go all in all at once and buy tons of points. But we have decided to go with a smaller contract that fits our needs now, to get used to the booking process and having annual MF’s, and we will add on later once we are comfortable with everything.

I keep saying this, but it's a good framework:

YOU do not have a home resort, your points do. And they always keep it, so points from one resort cannot be used elsewhere at 11 months.

I keep saying this, but it's a good framework:

YOU do not have a home resort, your points do. And they always keep it, so points from one resort cannot be used elsewhere at 11 months.

You are right. If I had thought about it I would have been able to answer the 11 month question on my own. The 7 month question would have still been on my mind.

Thanks for all the good advice on these boards. We’ve been contemplating this for years, and seriously doing research for 8 months. Trying not to make an impulse decision.

You also need to be aware that you cannot borrow transferred points. For example, we have a small Dec contract and a larger Sept contract. I wanted to make a short reservation for Dec. I could transfer Sept points to my Dec contract to make that reservation. But if I wanted to make a Sept reservation and transferred Dec points to my Sept contract, I would need to borrow the Dec points to make the reservation and that wouldn't be permitted.

Transferred points always retain their home resort and UY.

There is another rule on transferring points. On a contract you can only transfer points once per year. That applies to transferring in and transferring out. When trying to pool the points on 2 contracts, that's not very likely to get you. However, if you add a 3rd (like anyone ever does that :o) you can't transfer points all over to one contract for a "big" reservation. That would involve 2 "transfer ins" to that contract.

11. During a given Use Year, only one (1) Transfer per Club Member or Club membership, either as
Transferee or Transferor, will be permitted.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/points-transfer-rules-101-updated-2015.491988/

Actually, there are 12 rules and 9 subrules.....as in, it pays to research and understand the rules. This didn't stop me from having 3 home resorts with 3 different UY. But I went in eyes wide open. I am fortunate enough that each contract has at least 100 points, and I view them as standalone contracts to be used for standalone reservations. On rare occasion I may need to use the "transfer card" for a unique situation, but I wanted to avoid it being part of the standard plan.

Hypothetical question. Let’s say we have 2 contracts with the same use year but different home resorts. Can we use all the points as one big bank to book a trip at Home Resort A at 11 months?

We are going to buy soon, but a smaller contract than what we think we will ultimately want once the kids are older.
As noted, IF they are in the same master contract they can be combined at 11 months out for the same home resort and 7 months out if different home resorts. Note that different master contracts can usually be seen on one DVC login. They have to be titled the same to be combined under one sign on.

Thanks all. We are trying to approach this in a smart way. It is so tempting to go all in all at once and buy tons of points. But we have decided to go with a smaller contract that fits our needs now, to get used to the booking process and having annual MF’s, and we will add on later once we are comfortable with everything.
I'd recommend a balance. It's usually best to not go too large or too small going in. I'd rarely go in at under around 150 points esp if my projection is I'll need that many in just a few years plus I feel one needs a cushion of extra points usually 10-20% but sometimes even more. It's usually best to buy one contract and give it a try and NOT to buy more than one home resort before getting some usage under the belt and best not to buy retail AND resale until one gets into the system and uses it some.

There is another rule on transferring points. On a contract you can only transfer points once per year. That applies to transferring in and transferring out. When trying to pool the points on 2 contracts, that's not very likely to get you. However, if you add a 3rd (like anyone ever does that :o) you can't transfer points all over to one contract for a "big" reservation. That would involve 2 "transfer ins" to that contract.

11. During a given Use Year, only one (1) Transfer per Club Member or Club membership, either as
Transferee or Transferor, will be permitted.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/points-transfer-rules-101-updated-2015.491988/

Actually, there are 12 rules and 9 subrules.....as in, it pays to research and understand the rules. This didn't stop me from having 3 home resorts with 3 different UY. But I went in eyes wide open. I am fortunate enough that each contract has at least 100 points, and I view them as standalone contracts to be used for standalone reservations. On rare occasion I may need to use the "transfer card" for a unique situation, but I wanted to avoid it being part of the standard plan.
This is where the rules and the real rules separate somewhat. For multiple masters of a single owner this line is blurred. It still applies but exceptions are made on a case by case basis esp where one needs all the points in one account to do what is needed like a single night, cruise exchange or to make a 7 night 11 month reservation.

We originally bought in 2006 and have since added on 8 more smaller contracts. We add as we have the cash so as not to finance a purchase. We have added via resale and via direct. We have 2 use years and 4 resorts (OKW, HHI, BWV and CCV). We had AKV but resold it because we can easily use our OKW points there and we made a nice profit to resell (bought for $65 and sold for $80). We like having several home resorts for the 11 month booking ability. HHI in summer is tough to get. BWV during F&W is tough to get. CCV at Xmas is tough to get. Our OKW, we use mostly at 7 months for all over (used them at every east coast DVC except VGF). I can use banking and borrowing to book a nice trip. We have 125 HHI and with banking and borrowing we have 375 to use on a decent trip (one year we git a grand villa over New Years).

My one regret...all the time I regret it...is having the 2 use years. Even bigger problem is we have 50 BWV in one UY and 205 in another. We had 50 and 55 for a while and HAD to transfer but then, last year, we bought 150 point resale to add to the 55 pointer. So I won't transfer anymore and will use bank and borrow of the 50 points to book solely with that use year. When you transfer, the points don't show online so you have to call in to book with them. Then if you see, at 7 months, a better resort/room you'd have to call in to switch. You also can't borrow transfer points. It's just a convoluted mess sometimes. And the CMs barely know what they're doing with a straight up booking...add in a convoluted situation and you're on the phone forever trying to get it worked out.

Same resort and same use year, same membership then your original contract becomes .0 and your second contract .1 and so on.
When booking at any time, it asks you which contract the points should first come from.
I'm after a third add on now, about a 100 pointer and holding on for same resort and use year as you cannot beat the simplicity.

In each of our UY, our contracts are .0, .1, .2..... even though they are different resorts. When we go to book at 7 months, we can select which one(s) to use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter