2 Resorts, Different Use Years

DVC Fanatic

Mouseketeer
It has been an exciting day. We were told today our resale purchase closed and we were also called by our guide that the Direct add on we were looking for was available. The direct add on is at different home resort than our resale, by design. We were on two wait lists with Disney for the same Direct resort. One for our same use year and one for first available. Of course the first available is what we got called for.

Our resale is December and the direct add on would be August. We plan to typically vacation aug-feb. I am not super concerned about the different banking and borrowing timeframes. Just curious what other complications this might cause. Understand I will have two membership numbers. Would this have occurred anyway with different resorts and the same use year.

Any advice, clarification or thoughts would be much appreciated.

You would have had one membership number, if they had the same use year and same name as owners. But that is okay. I have 3 different membership numbers and 3 use years, and I might soon add a fourth. It has not been a big deal to me.

the direct add on would be August.
Just keep in mind that now accepting the Aug UY only gets you the Aug 2018 UY points where as if you wait for a matching Dec UY then you will get the 2017 points at a pro rated MF and have your 2018 points coming for Dec. You might want to just hold out for those other Dec points and hopefully will get them before December rolls around. It might depend on what resort you are buying --some are very hard to get so when they come available you have to get them. Just something to consider unless the August UY is a priority to you.

Just keep in mind that now accepting the Aug UY only gets you the Aug 2018 UY points where as if you wait for a matching Dec UY then you will get the 2017 points at a pro rated MF and have your 2018 points coming for Dec. You might want to just hold out for those other Dec points and hopefully will get them before December rolls around. It might depend on what resort you are buying --some are very hard to get so when they come available you have to get them. Just something to consider unless the August UY is a priority to you.

Appreciate that, we were already aware of this and it being VGF is the only reason we are considering the AUG UY. My largest fear is that DEC will not pop up this year and then Disney will raise their direct prices again and increase the minimum for perks to 100. The 2017 and 2018 points would have been nice, but on year of points over the course of 46 years is not a huge deal breaker to us.

I am so jealous they let you get on the wait list for direct points before you closed. They would not let me get on the wait list until my membership hit the system. If you don’t mind me asking, what resort are you planning on buying direct?

I am so jealous they let you get on the wait list for direct points before you closed. They would not let me get on the wait list until my membership hit the system. If you don’t mind me asking, what resort are you planning on buying direct?

We are attempting to buy VGF. What I have come to understand, all guides are different and I think they interpret their guidelines somewhat different. We started talking to one guide who really didn't seem to care if we wanted anything other the CCV. This guide, after the first conversation knew where we stood and has been very honest and open with us from the beginning.

We are attempting to buy VGF. What I have come to understand, all guides are different and I think they interpret their guidelines somewhat different. We started talking to one guide who really didn't seem to care if we wanted anything other the CCV. This guide, after the first conversation knew where we stood and has been very honest and open with us from the beginning.
Thanks for the info. I have been thinking about going with a different use year for the add-on but I just worry that I will think it was a mistake later. We have SSR Dec currently and we are on the wait list for SSR or OKW points with the same use year. I would not change the SSR use year but I would change the OKW use year. I am giving it another week to see what happens.

Thanks for the info. I have been thinking about going with a different use year for the add-on but I just worry that I will think it was a mistake later. We have SSR Dec currently and we are on the wait list for SSR or OKW points with the same use year. I would not change the SSR use year but I would change the OKW use year. I am giving it another week to see what happens.

Yeah, according to our guide they have two "waitlists" per resort you can get on. Your same UY or first available, but who really knows. They will not let you specify a specific UY unless you own that UY already. I have a feeling each guide has their own waitlist and it is more dependent on if the points are available when that individual guide checks the inventory. Our guide told us he check inventory at least 2 times per day.

We do not plan to transfer the points from one resort to the other, as we intend to bank or borrow the VGF points every other year to have double points to stay a majority of our Typical 2 week stay at VGF. Then we can change hotels 1 time to PVB for the remainder of our stay. The following year we will stay exclusively at PVB. These are our favorite 2 hotels and it was really important for us to own both so we can book during the 7-11 month window. I know some people do not think owning direct is important because the perks can go away anytime, but I argue the perks could get better at anytime. We intend to move back to the Central Florida area in the next 10 years and would really enjoy events like Moonlight Magic if we lived local. But who really knows, only time will tell.

Yeah, according to our guide they have two "waitlists" per resort you can get on. Your same UY or first available, but who really knows. They will not let you specify a specific UY unless you own that UY already. I have a feeling each guide has their own waitlist and it is more dependent on if the points are available when that individual guide checks the inventory. Our guide told us he check inventory at least 2 times per day.

We do not plan to transfer the points from one resort to the other, as we intend to bank or borrow the VGF points every other year to have double points to stay a majority of our Typical 2 week stay at VGF. Then we can change hotels 1 time to PVB for the remainder of our stay. The following year we will stay exclusively at PVB. These are our favorite 2 hotels and it was really important for us to own both so we can book during the 7-11 month window. I know some people do not think owning direct is important because the perks can go away anytime, but I argue the perks could get better at anytime. We intend to move back to the Central Florida area in the next 10 years and would really enjoy events like Moonlight Magic if we lived local. But who really knows, only time will tell.
Two times a day? I recall my guide stating once a week for me. Hmmm maybe it is time to get a new guide.

Your guide will sell you the direct contract with a different UY than what you currently have? That is different information than what I was told.

I bought an OKW contract direct first and then found my BLT resale October. I wanted a direct purchase with an October UY and that was not an issue to request a certain UY as a new buyer. If your guide is welling to sell you GFV than maybe just do it but from everything I have heard two UY’s is a pain. I also think that if he is that all about it something should pop up between now and December. The 2017/2018 points I got with direct October UY purchase in May have been awesome. I have a 6 night stay booked for January and still 50 2018 points left over. I see big picture that no other points might not be a huge deal, but it is nice.

There will be another price increase, but I should think it will be more like January.

Good luck with what you decide!

I have two UY and hate it. I was on phone with MS last night, modifying a resie, and it took a good 40 minutes due to my messy points portfolio (9 contracts, 4 resorts, 2 UY....and one resort we have some points in each UY). I had transferred points and you have to call MS to use because they don't show up online. So I would only ever recommend 2 UY if it's 2 hefty contracts that you can use solely as their own bookings. Meaning, use Dec UY contract to book a trip and then use the Aug UY contract to book the next trip...using banking/borrowing. Seems like that's the plan for OP so it shouldn't be bad.

We also have two UY's due to ignorance when we bought our first contract. Would we do it again, no. Do others say that they don't have issues with two UY's, they do. Our second UY is the best for our vacation dates and we have benefited from it twice to save our points when reservations were cancelled.

:earsboy: Bill

2 UY's is adding another issue to maximizing your points usage. It may never cause you a problem, but the point is it could.
Otherwise as someone else pointed out disney is not supposed to sell you a different UY, and you absolutely can dictate which UY you want to waitlist. I would call again and double check everything, sounds like your guide maybe mistaken.

We also have two UY's due to ignorance when we bought our first contract. Would we do it again, no. Do others say that they don't have issues with two UY's, they do. Our second UY is the best for our vacation dates and we have benefited from it twice to save our points when reservations were cancelled.

I have THREE use years. And one of our resorts is split into 2 of the use years It can get a bit more complicated, but I really haven’t had much trouble. I have enough points in each use year for stays of 10 days or more, in a studio, and if I want to make a trip and don’t have enough points in one Use Year, I just book sequentially, or do the Grand Tour, and stay at 2 or more resorts. It is fun.

2 UY's is adding another issue to maximizing your points usage. It may never cause you a problem, but the point is it could.
Otherwise as someone else pointed out disney is not supposed to sell you a different UY, and you absolutely can dictate which UY you want to waitlist. I would call again and double check everything, sounds like your guide maybe mistaken.

I am 99% sure my guide is not mistaken. We were told we can waitlist for the same UY we have, and we could waitlist for any UY. The any UY waitlist is what came through first. I think we decided to wait for our current UY to have one less complication.

We started with an April UY and bought an October UY direct so they can sell you a different UY. IMO they are so bent on making a sale they will do what ever is necessary. We have received "special" permission when buying direct more than once.

I'm surprised...my guide told me(about 6 years ago now) he couldn't sell me a different UY. Amazing the level of inconsistency.

We have 2 UY and 2 home resorts, and use them separately. I think that so long as you plan to use them separately, 2 UY can be useful. Main times we like to go to WDW (obviously not all in the same year):

late Aug/Sept (2 birthdays)
President's week
Easter week
Thanksgiving or Christmas

Our first contract was Feb UY, which easily covered everything into the fall, but not Thanksgiving or Xmas. August UY covers late summer through the President's week/Easter. We use the points separately, still at the 11 mo window. It probably takes a little more planning, but seems to be working out OK. We will probably have to make a split stay using our BLT points and VGF points for a summer trip in 2020 so we don't lose a few 2019 BLT points that we will be banking, and then spend the rest of the time at VGF.

Well I have two UYs with 2/3rds of my points on Sep and 1/3 on Dec. It does take some extra work IMO. If you want to combine them on a ressie, it’s actually two linked or you transfer points (and they become sort of invisible online as mentioned above).

I try to treat them like two entirely separate entities geared towards trips at different times of the year or in alternate years by banking and borrowing. I have enough points that I don’t need both contracts to make one trip.

If it’s for a resort you love it’s worth it. I did it bc I wanted some BCV points and being choosy on the UY was an obstacle. If I had it to do gain I probably would have stayed away from Sep as a UY due to rarity.

I'm surprised...my guide told me(about 6 years ago now) he couldn't sell me a different UY. Amazing the level of inconsistency.

If you wanted fewer points than what would be considered a master for a new owner then that is what usually is prohibited. If it was more (like 75 or more points) then they usually will do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!