2 rooms or a 2-bedroom?

AndreAggie

DIS Veteran
We're going to Disney with another family and are trying to decide if we should get 2 studios at Poly or a 2-bedroom unit at a different resort (can't afford the bungalow!). Total kids would be 3, ages 10 and 13. We all agree on privacy would be better if we each had a studio, but the convenience with laundry and a kitchen of a 2-bedroom is hard to beat.

Which 2-bedroom units have the 3 bathrooms? I know Bay Lake does (would be our pick if available).

It depends on how close you are with the other family. Have them stay at your house for a few days and see how you like it. No walking around in your underwear. :sad2:

:earsboy: Bill
Exactly what he said. While you can close off from each other, it still comes down to... can you spend that much time together and not want to tear each others eyes out.

I’ll play more devil’s advocate. How confident are you that the other family may not cancel on you? Not to be a Debbie downer but posts like that pop up often here from people complaining about friends/family cancelling on them and now they are stuck with a 2 BR they don’t need and don’t really want to spend all the points on. If you are leaning toward separate spaces and have any inkling this a possibility I’d pick the 2 studios.

My BF and her family (2 kids) have travelled with us (1 kid), once to AKL and twice to Aulani. First trip AKL we got a dedicated two bedroom.It was fine, but they are very early risers...and since our daughter slept on the pullout couch in the living room, she'd be woken up as they'd get up early to make coffee, get into the fridge, etc.

So next trip to Aulani we did a two-bedroom lock off and it was great! They had their own coffee maker, mini-fridge, so they would be up early getting their day going while we slept in a bit.

Mind you, my friend and I have known each other since grade 5, we are like sisters. As others said it all depends how close you are!

We have traveled a few times with family and friends. We have shared grand villas, 2BR, etc. I would rather have my own separate room.

I booked a studio for friends, and a 1 bedroom for us, but I am sorry that I didn’t take the chance and book a 2 bedroom right off the bat. We have “travel with” designated on both reservations. We’ll hope for something nearby.

Years ago we did the same, and our villas were on different floors. I had forgotten about that.

This is my concern....if we get studios, what are the chances we're nearby? Are there connecting studios at Poly? With a 2-bedroom, you lose privacy. Such a toss up!

That's good to know. I think we're going to start there and get 2 studios at the 11-month mark. We might try for a 2-bedroom lock-off at Bay Lake at the 7-month mark. This could be all for not depending on what's available when we can make a reservation 7-months out.

Maybe we'll get pixie dust and get upgraded to a 2-bedroom bungalow! Such wishful thinking! Ha! There's no way we can book a 2-bedroom at Poly otherwise.

I do not see getting a two bedroom as losing privacy. I was concerned the friends may cancel. I should have taken the chance they would not.

That's good to know. I think we're going to start there and get 2 studios at the 11-month mark. We might try for a 2-bedroom lock-off at Bay Lake at the 7-month mark. This could be all for not depending on what's available when we can make a reservation 7-months out.

Maybe we'll get pixie dust and get upgraded to a 2-bedroom bungalow! Such wishful thinking! Ha! There's no way we can book a 2-bedroom at Poly otherwise.

A lock-off may not be available because it requires a studio which will be booked at 11 months.

Total kids would be 3, ages 10 and 13.

If you get a 2 bedroom where will the kids sleep? For us at OKW and SSR with extended family we would take the master with the King and my son coslept so we were contained. Then the other group worked it out. Once we had my aunt sleep in the living room since she’s the earliest riser, and then my cousin and her husband and their kids shared the other room with the two sleeping spaces. Another time when we knew that cousin and her husband would stay up late talking with me and my now ex, try skept in the living room so we weren’t bothering anyone at night.

With the ages listed it’s possible no one would have to sleep in the living room. So very little privacy would be given up.

Here is another thought, if you are all in the same room, where do you go to talk about each others families? :confused3

Whispering in the bedroom areas is a time-honored tradition. Nowadays one can text each other. While everyone is in the same room. If you’re brave and know you won’t accodentally text the person you’re talking about. ;)

I have been in the same spot. We have a family of 4 ( parents and daughter 13 and son 18 at time of travel). I would love to get a 2 bedroom dedicated at AKL-K but then DH loose our little kitchenette and second entrance ( no children). I can still book a lock-off with 3 bathrooms at AKL-K which is good. Our concern has been their need for space. Son can sleep out in living room or both kids can on separate pull outs. But before this actually gets book they have to give me solid dates. I have emphasized that this reservation cannot be cancelled. But if for some reason they don't make it my parents can go or DH's Mom and Brother meet us. Say a prayer...at least I can only afford 5 nights with my points for a 2 bedroom.

Ball is in her court to get back with me in next month for a July 2019 booking. If she does not then I will get studios for our trips alone. This is the only time we have ever invited anyone that wasn't a parent or DH's single brother. It is the only time we ever will....our DVC is sacred in a way and not to be trifled with...

we just did a trip in March with another family in a 2 bed kidani and I felt like we had plenty of privacy on our side and they are their side... no issues at all.. very enjoyable to be together!

It might depend on how the families are split -- there are 3 kids and I am guessing 2 adults in each family. so a total of 7 maybe. A 2BR at kidani would be perfect. It has the master with its own bathroom, kids could have the sleeper and the single pull out chair in the common area and the other bedroom has 2 queens so it could be for the other parents and one of the kids if they do not want to share. It would work well as you still have your own spaces and the kitchen and 3 bathrooms. We did the 2 BR there with our family of 5 and our in laws and we all felt like we had plenty of privacy of our own rooms to hide out in

It does depend on how well the kids get along as well as the parents. If you foresee issues or uncomfortableness then get 2 studios and use the DVC laundry. As for Poly - it is the one resort that likely has the highest probability of adjoining rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts