• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2 Way Radio Usage in Parks

Whitegloves

Creative Arts!
Has anyone ever tried using the Uniden GMRS 2 way radios in the parks? How do they work? It says they have up to a 2 mile range but that can vary due to enviromental and/or topical conditions. We were given a set as a gift and I was just curious.
TIA,
Smiles,
Diane =0)

I have tried to use 2-way radios in Cedar Point and Kings Island here in Ohio and it was more entertainment than anything.....apparently, a gazillion other people had them too and no matter what channel we tried, there was waaaay too much radio traffic...but some of it was interesting to listen to....ha!! If at all possible, cell phones are the way to go.

Hope this helps...:smooth:

Beth

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Wow, Beth,.......................that was exactly what I was thinking...............

We actually used them in the MK a few years back and we got no further than the Castle before we turned them off and packed them away for the entire trip................

Use the cell phones if possible.

We just bought some newer model Motorola radios that have a zillion different combinations of channels and frequencies that can be programmed in to use. The entire week we were there using them, we only experienced about 3 different "break ins" on our channel. Not bad! Cell phones are good if you are in different parks, but I'll tell you, my had a lot of "No Service" while inside various attractions. The radios continued to work and were excellent!
:wave: :earsboy: :Pinkbounc

Got Cobra 2 mile range radios with Christmas money and was very disappointed. Couldn't reach my wife when I was at Big Thunder Mountain and she was at Pooh. Cell phones were so much better.

* I hope your radio is at least 1 watt of power (Mine was 1/2 Watt giving me a weak signal).
* Does your radio have like 22 main channels and sub channels. You do get a lot of chatter from others, so the sub channels really help.
* Do you need a FRS/GMS license? The box said I did, and it cost me about $75. I believe there is an application at www.fcc.gov. If you have a FRS radio only, then I am pretty sure you don't need a license.

I am a newbie at the 2 way radio stuff, and I was turned off by the whole thing. I's sure there are people on the other side of the debate who would say they are wonderful.

Whether or not you use them, look at the people using them. They are usually screaming into their two way radios and holding the thing up to their ear listening for a response. I know I was :)

Davene,

The newer models don't offer much other than 8 GMRS frequencies and 1 watt PEP power vs. 1/2 watt (for "5 mile" models). And yes, legally you need a GMRS license for your family to use the radios. We too found the radios to be of limited value due to the traffic. Even though the the channel/code combination seem a lot larger, it's a bit deceiving. That only keeps you from HEARING the others on the same channel as you. But if someone is talking on that channel, you can't use it while they have their radio keyed up (unless there is a lot of distance between the other person and you and your partner).

We use the radios as "emergency" tools. The kids each have one and they keep it off in their fanny packs. If we get seperated, they know to pull them out and turn them on.

I just ran and got the radios that I got my daughter fo Christmas - Motorola Talkabout T5820s. I believe that they have a 5 mile range. I thought they'd be a great way to keep in touch in the park, but didn't know anything about needing a license to use them. Is this really NEEDED? What will happen if we don't get a license? Will the radios self destruct?...the Feds come running from behind a ride while we are in que and take us in??
Anyone know how these work? :confused:

Could you post the model number you used?

We are looking to by a set and I would prefer to use a model that others have had success using in the parks.

I don't have them with me now, but I think they are Motorola T5700's. They come with their own battery charger and ear pieces. I found the locking function a great feature so that your channel doesn't get inadvertently changed if you hit the wrong button. My DH got them at WalMart in Orlando. 2 to a package.

If I find I have listed the wrong model number after I get home, I'll update the post. Good luck!!!

:earseek: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

We have a couple of sets of Motorolas for the kids to use around the neighborhood. Supposed to get 2 miles, but we are lucky to get .7 on a good day. We use our cell phones at WDW. That way we do not even have to be in the same park.

Originally posted by momshark
I just ran and got the radios that I got my daughter fo Christmas - Motorola Talkabout T5820s. I believe that they have a 5 mile range. I thought they'd be a great way to keep in touch in the park, but didn't know anything about needing a license to use them. Is this really NEEDED? What will happen if we don't get a license? Will the radios self destruct?...the Feds come running from behind a ride while we are in que and take us in??
Anyone know how these work? :confused:

I posted a similar question on another thread and someone posted back that the fine for a first time offence, could be as high as $10,000. We figure the chances of getting "caught" in WDW using them w/o the license are probably extremely slim, however the fee is only $75/family and it lasts for 5 years. We went ahead and got it. It was technically the right thing to do and this way, we just don't have to worry about it at all.

The Motorola Talkabouts that we just purchased and used all last week are the T5950's. Loved them and so glad we had them! We used our cell phones as back ups and when we were in different parks.

:earsboy: :earsgirl:

If you have cell phones and are already paying $50+ a month all year long for a multiple-phone, no roaming charge plan, then I'm sure they are great in the parks.

But if you're not, you can get a pair of FRS units for about the price of one month's cell phone bill, and you can use them year after year. Just be sure to ones that have the subcodes, and read the manual on how to use them. Without the subcodes they're just about useless at WDW, but with subcodes they work pretty well.

Thanks so very much for the model number! We have been looking and your information will help us pick.

Right now we only have one cell phone in the family so it makes calling a bit difficult!

Perhaps we can try the yelling method! "HELLO MA! CAN YOU HEAR ME?" :hyper:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter